Jeff Garcia still wants to play in the NFL

Image (2) medium_070930_jeff_garcia_bucs-thumb-250x330-9482.jpg for post 74848 Getty Images

Jeff Garcia hasn’t thrown a pass in an NFL game since he was the Buccaneers’ starter in 2008, but he’s not ready to say he’s done.

Garcia, who started six games for the Eagles in 2006 and was also on their roster as a backup in 2009, said on 94 WIP that if Andy Reid called him and asked him to return, he’d do it in a heartbeat.

“I’m picking up the phone and saying ‘Andy, how much do you want me to pay you so I can come in and get things fired up around there?’” Garcia said. “I’d pay to play, that’s just me. I can be that person who can continue to motivate and inspire and help teach and educate. And if given the opportunity to step on the field, I’m going to give everything I have to find success, no matter how it happens.”

The Eagles have Michael Vick locked in as the starter, Mike Kafka and Trent Edwards competing to back Vick up and third-round rookie Nick Foles penciled in as a project for the future, so Garcia would probably have to pay if he wanted to get a spot on the Eagles’ crowded quarterback depth chart right now.

Then again, if Vick were to get hurt and one of the backups went down, too, it wouldn’t be shocking if Garcia got a call. That’s what happened last year in Houston, when the Texans lost both starter Matt Schaub and backup Matt Leinart, and they briefly signed Garcia as the veteran backup behind rookie starter T.J. Yates.

But if Garcia still wants to play, his best bet is probably not in the NFL. The last time Garcia threw a pass as a professional, it was for the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL. If he wants to play again, the USFL might be his best bet.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Jeff Garcia still wants to play in the NFL”
  1. jgg1 says: May 26, 2012 10:13 AM

This is a joke right?

2. winstonhussein says: May 26, 2012 10:13 AM

So do I.

3. joetoronto says: May 26, 2012 10:14 AM

Oh boy, don’t tell me he’s broke too.

4. cardmagnet says: May 26, 2012 10:15 AM

I want to play in the NFL, too, and I imagine I’d be as successful as Jeff Garcia at this point. It shouldn’t happen.

5. tfbuckfutter says: May 26, 2012 10:18 AM

I would also still like to play in the NFL.

6. trollhammer20 says: May 26, 2012 10:19 AM

Remember when the Niners got rid of Garcia, and kept T.O. instead?

Bet they wish thay had done that differently.

7. nflmastermind says: May 26, 2012 10:19 AM

oh man please let the Jets sign him, that would be awesome

8. mikexzilla says: May 26, 2012 10:20 AM

as an eagles fan im not opposed to this, he has been more than a solid back up when he has been needed and a good teacher, he would help kafka develop

9. dondada10 says: May 26, 2012 10:28 AM

There was something behind the whole Jeff Garcia Saga that was never made public. It seems like he would have success as a starter, then be run out of town.

10. snccoach says: May 26, 2012 10:31 AM

For guys like Garcia, who obviously have a hard time letting go, why don’t they get into coaching? He said it himself, he wants to motivated, educate, and mentor. It’s the next best thing and you’re still involved in the game.

11. mdpickles says: May 26, 2012 10:35 AM

He could be a positive influence on Vick. Garcia and Vick have similar styles of play at QB. Of course, Garcia is slower and not near the arm of Vick, but they both can make plays with their feet and arms outside of the pocket. The difference is that Garcia rarely made mistakes while scrambling with the ball. Maybe with the “other #7″ around, that could help Vick?

12. bearsoxass says: May 26, 2012 10:39 AM

Good back up for the XVLII SB champions GB Packers.

13. rajbais says: May 26, 2012 10:39 AM

He’s a #3 QB at best!!!

14. duncanthecat says: May 26, 2012 10:46 AM

Got to give him credit. He did the most with limited skills and was always a positive factor in a locker room. It all factored in to his NFL experience lasting more than most thought it would.

He clearly played his cards much better than McNabb who was dealt a better hand and blew it.

15. cowboyscanada says: May 26, 2012 10:54 AM

Garcia is a very good QB, if put in the right situation, he could be very effective.

16. thehawg says: May 26, 2012 10:57 AM

Jeff, have you thought about coaching.

17. lolb23 says: May 26, 2012 10:58 AM

Hey Jeff, Madden 13 comes out in August.

18. frustratedbucsfan says: May 26, 2012 11:04 AM

He could start for miami right now

19. buchopeful says: May 26, 2012 11:07 AM

Hang em up brother.. it is done….

20. brenenostler says: May 26, 2012 11:15 AM

He was 9-7 as a starter in 2008 in Tampa, was released by the Raiders in 2009 because he “put too much pressure” on Jamarcus Russell, and hasn’t drawn any interest since.

He was just sort of run out of the league. I think he deserves another shot.

21. upyoursnfu says: May 26, 2012 11:15 AM

How about the Eagles? They don’t have a QB.

22. notrelated says: May 26, 2012 11:16 AM

Except for the fact that he’s 42 years old.

23. smushrodriguez says: May 26, 2012 11:43 AM

Doug Pederson needs someone to get his coffee. I do miss seeing his wife at every game (she parked where I walked in).

24. francheyes says: May 26, 2012 12:13 PM

would be a great tutor for ponder..very similar playing styles

25. billhicks666 says: May 26, 2012 12:46 PM

Well, I want a toilet made out of solid gold but that’s not in the cards, either.

26. oldbyrd says: May 26, 2012 12:49 PM

i can’t imagine what coach Reid is thinking. If Vic goes down who comes????Becasue none of the above can play

27. laeaglefan says: May 26, 2012 12:51 PM

“Remember when the Niners got rid of Garcia, and kept T.O. instead? Bet they wish thay had done that differently”

Everything happens for a reason. Sure, given the chance to do it over again, they might make a different decision, but even in our own personal lives, each decision we make has repercussions, some of which are not obvious right away, but sometime down the line we realize that if we hadn’t made a particular decision the way that we did, then something else would never have happened. Its how life works. Sorry if I’m getting too philosophical for this discussion.

28. EJ says: May 26, 2012 12:53 PM

I’d be willing to bet that Garcia can still win games and put up big numbers, some players are better as they get to the end their career.

29. dmadras says: May 26, 2012 12:55 PM

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and talks like a duck…what is it?

I’m pretty sure the “locker room” isn’t interested in that either.

There also is such a thing as an “NFL minimum,” so I love when ex-players use these catch-phrases that hold no bearing.

If he feels he can “add something” to help out, he should have gone into coaching. However, I don’t think there is room in the coaches locker room either.

I’m not hating on Jeff Garcia, Im just stating how other’s perceive the guy. It’s hard to take someone serious even if they know what they are doing just by a way a coach looks, acts, and speaks. Hard to take guys like “Chilly” and Garcia serious, Im sorry! And guys like Andy Reid know that or he WOULD be employed in some fashion!

30. mdpickles says: May 26, 2012 12:56 PM

Rich Gannon had his best years when he was 36-38 years old.

31. joshborden says: May 26, 2012 1:09 PM

hey just wondering why you guys do not post my comments….did I say something offensive or profane??

32. jluns275 says: May 26, 2012 1:13 PM

And Drew Brees STILL wants an explanation!
    But seriously…
    I’d sooner be comfortable with a walker-bound, or even wheelchair-bound Garcia as my #3 QB before a healthy Trent Edwards!

33. lenke08 says: May 26, 2012 1:28 PM

i thought last year jake delhomme was signed not garcia

34. oldskoolchopper says: May 26, 2012 1:31 PM

Funny because hasn’t Garcia spent the last few years alienating himself with teams that wanted to bring him in as a veteran presence to help out the young guys and be a backup? I seem to remember reading on here about him turning down offers left and right to wait to get a starting job. How’d that work out Jeff? Now you’ll accept the scraps you were offered in the first place huh?

This post has nothing to do with the fact that I am a Raider fan and he asked for his release instead of backing up there. It was still an NFL gig (barely at that time) and lord knows he would have gotten playing time that year.

35. lgbarn says: May 26, 2012 1:56 PM

nflmastermind says: May 26, 2012 10:19 AM

oh man please let the Jets sign him, that would be awesome

———————————————————-

Sad part is that he would be their starter. Jeff is clearly better than any QB on their roster right now.

36. dcbassguy says: May 26, 2012 3:18 PM

As an Eagles fan I’d welcome him in as some kind of assistant coach. He won’t beat out any of the guys there for any of the 3 roster spots. Vick, Kafka, and Foles at this point are locked in. Edwards is gonna be on the way out the first time they have to cut down from 90.

Like was said in the article, if something were to happen to Vick and Kafk, I’d gladly welcome Garcia back to run the show. I have more faith in a 42 year old Garcia, than I do in Foles at this point.

37. browns627 says: May 26, 2012 4:16 PM

i agree with the post about miami. no brainer for him to be a dolphin.. garcia is the type of player you want.. he’s got guts! which is lacking in 50% of the league QBs.

38. dougydougdoug says: May 26, 2012 7:24 PM

I think you all need to rethink all this old-guy-coming-back-for-one-more-shot stuff. That kind of rhetoric is going to catch Favre’s attention, and then you know what will happen. Yet again. Again.

39. nyyjetsknicks says: May 26, 2012 8:34 PM

Jeff George and Jeff Garcia plan on starting the SFL. Senior Football League.

40. hulkhogansays says: May 26, 2012 8:39 PM

I’d rather sign Jeff George brother.

41. jason49er says: May 26, 2012 10:03 PM

Umm I must be delusional because my memory is of them getting rid of Garcia and Owens in the same offseason. Idk wtf that previous poster was talking about but it got a million thumbs up so I must be wrong.

42. pisano says: May 27, 2012 12:11 AM

Hey Jeff, you might want to check with the Jets, they don’t have a QB, but they’re looking for one.

43. whlskey says: May 28, 2012 6:15 PM

In other news, Brian Dawkins unretires so he can pay Andy Reid and the Eagles to play as well, but only as the teams religious motivator on the sidelines.. Although in all honesty, I’d take either one of those guys back because heart is exactly what this team was lacking last year, and no one can say they play with more enthusiasm and heart than B-Dawk and Jeff Garcia, no matter what their age.