Vick learns critics are still lurking

Trent Edwards, Mike Kafka, and Nick Foles, Michael Vick AP

While the 2012 NFL offseason has become, all things considered, the craziest stretch of bizarre news and unexpected developments in memory, no single event has been more shocking than Eagles quarterback Mike Vick’s involvement in a dogfighting ring, circa 2007.

Three years after Vick’s federal prison term ended and two years after he re-established himself as a high-end quarterback, Vick remains a controversial figure, as a car dealership in Las Vegas has learned.

Vick is attending a youth football camp in Sin City, and he made a Friday night appearance at a local auto dealership.  According to the Las Vegas Sun, the dealership ultimately dismantled its Facebook page after commenters hurled insults and threats at Vick.  Others vowed to boycott the dealership.

“People have grown to forgive me and give me a second chance,” Vick said Saturday morning.  But he also admitted some haven’t forgiven and forgotten.

Frankly, it’s surprising that Vick hasn’t experienced criticism and vitriol more frequently.  Then again, folks are more willing to lash out from behind the comfort of their computer screens.  Vick has experienced very few awkward in-person exchanges over the past three years.

All things considered, the football-following world has moved on from his sordid past, giving him that second chance and celebrating his return to prominence on the field and his maturity off it.  There always will be critics — and they always will be more likely to criticize via their keyboards and not their mouths.

Permalink 81 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
81 Responses to “Vick learns critics are still lurking”
  1. hulkhogansays says: May 26, 2012 8:30 PM

Who? Robert Griffin III is now not only the best black QB, but the best overall QB in the Universe brother.

2. iplaybad says: May 26, 2012 8:32 PM

With double digit unemployment in LV it is not surprising that Vick would get a bad reaction there. These folks are too broke to buy a rig and want to hate on anyone else who’s trying to turn his life around.

3. themonster49 says: May 26, 2012 8:35 PM

Two things, I havent forgotten nor forgiven him, and why would we have to have grown to forgive him shouldnt he have grown to earn our forgiveness?

4. lolb23 says: May 26, 2012 8:36 PM

hulkhogansays says:
    May 26, 2012 8:30 PM
    —————————————————————–

Hogan never could judge talent coughTNAcough

5. greenpacker says: May 26, 2012 8:42 PM

Anyone who hires Vick to sponsor their business is too dumb to be successful anyway. Just because they call it sin city does not put Vick’s sins in the same category as everyone else’s.

I will never forget about Vick’s past and unlike all the soul-less eagles fans who thought they were being cool and controversial by buying his jersey, if Vick were my QB I would become a Bears fan.

6. frankrizzo51 says: May 26, 2012 8:43 PM

This guy paid his debt to society AND didn’t run from his financial obligations like many do.

I don’t like him, but he’s earned the right to try again.

7. turk2875 says: May 26, 2012 8:48 PM

Can we just forgive the man and move on with our lives so he can move on with his. Admit it, everyone has been waiting for him to screw up again but he keeps proving everyone wrong. I sincerely think he is a changed man and, although what he did will never be forgotten, he should be forgiven.

8. asublimeday says: May 26, 2012 8:52 PM

I’ll gladly say whatever I have to say to Vick’s face. Nobody is afraid of that coward. I’m bigger than a wounded dog, so I can’t imagine he has much proficiency in combat with a person of my stature.

9. kacapaco says: May 26, 2012 9:04 PM

Some ppl just can’t get over something. Vick paid his due. These haters are no different from the Mullahs of Iran who want to execute all wrong doers.

10. xxwhodatxx says: May 26, 2012 9:05 PM

You have to be a demented psychopath to do the things he did, jail and some nice speeches won’t fix that.

11. binarybulge says: May 26, 2012 9:11 PM

You mock people by saying they take comfort behind their computer screens… You think most of the people that hate Vick for what he did wouldn’t say it to his face too? You’re wrong.

12. hulkhogansays says: May 26, 2012 9:11 PM

Once Orakpo and Kerrigan finish his NFL Career, I’ll hire him to come job to Eric Young and Robbie E brother!

13. 7to10for6allday says: May 26, 2012 9:13 PM

People already anointing rg3 the best black qb lol that’s funny. Haters keep hating bc you’ll be looking at the eagles ass as they leave you behind this season.

14. mancave001 says: May 26, 2012 9:13 PM

There is no end to the hatred of this man. I’ve seen convicted murderers and rapists be forgiven more easily. I was never a fan of his before, but man…the guy has clearly turned his life AND game around. I’m a huge animal lover, but I’ve seen nothing but a changed man since 2009. At some point, one has to let it go.

15. raiderapologist says: May 26, 2012 9:19 PM

Vick not only deserves forgiveness, but emulation as well. Or so says Florio.

16. morgan420 says: May 26, 2012 9:20 PM

Thats because noone is man enough to say it to his face

17. qdog112 says: May 26, 2012 9:22 PM

He paid his dues, but he’s still black. I guess he forgot that or he was hoping no one would notice.

18. kingcarlbanks says: May 26, 2012 9:30 PM

The truest gauge of a man’s soul is the way he treats his pets. Mike Vick still ain’t s%*t. He isn’t sorry he did it, he’s sorry he got caught, did time and lost $$.

19. maiphatdong says: May 26, 2012 9:53 PM

I will never forgive anyone who treats innocent animals like that. Vick is trash and always will be.

20. fatfreddystubbs says: May 26, 2012 10:03 PM

————————————————–

Ok, name one.

21. taintedlombardis says: May 26, 2012 10:17 PM

Vick got off easy considering what he could have been charged with…study up internet retards…

22. udtfrogmanvet says: May 26, 2012 10:36 PM

He hasn’t been to Jax yet, where those stupid anal Eagles fans get shut up by some REAL N.E. FL crazy redneck Jags fans.
    You think Oakland had too much violence in the Bay area; Jags fans make it known in the beginning that that crap don’t fly there.

23. jetmace says: May 26, 2012 10:40 PM

these ppl kill me… yall still mad over this man fighting some dam dogs like rly… where I guess umm that its ok to kill deer and turkeys just cause they give u a lic to do it….guess he should’ve went the legit way and became a greyhound runner….

24. sb50 says: May 26, 2012 10:42 PM

What Vick did was horrible, no doubt about it, but its not like he got away with it. the guy did 3 years in prison for it. Im sure he doesnt feel good about what he did. he was young and stupid and thought he was all that. but now he has clearly grown up and matured and all he can do is move on.

25. lit33 says: May 26, 2012 10:45 PM

Wow. I don’t have to forgive him. NO one said u did. Everyone in life should get a second change. Just because Vick has used is wisely. Don’t hate. Vick keep doing what your doing. To all you donkey’s out there that don’t like this hug a root. Late

26. cobrala2 says: May 26, 2012 10:51 PM

“Frankly, it’s surprising that Vick hasn’t experienced criticism and vitriol more frequently.”…especially with how utterly crazy some animal rights freaks are!
    #TruthHurts #InvestInMirrors

27. cobrala2 says: May 26, 2012 10:52 PM

morgan420 is correct – the lot of you are a bunch of “kittens”

28. lobm1 says: May 26, 2012 10:53 PM

Leave this man alone!! All you haters are idiots & need to get over it. He wasn’t the first person to kill dogs & won’t be the last. Actually… Keep on hating cuz he’s got his life on track, making money & is playing the best football of his career!! The hate won’t change what he did so get your head out of your asses & live your own life!!!

29. kregaway says: May 26, 2012 11:06 PM

I seriously hate dogs, I commend him for what he did, please cats next and kill twice as many.

30. ksm31311 says: May 26, 2012 11:25 PM

asublimeday says:
    May 26, 2012 8:52 PM

———————-

Is that you Mitch Rapp?

31. dogluverssuck says: May 26, 2012 11:25 PM

“There always will be critics — and they always will be more likely to criticize via their keyboards and not their mouths.”

——————————————-

Because they are cowards and are only brave behind the keyboards. I’m quite sure none of these losers would ever confront Vick in person.

Vick may be small in the football world, but at 207 pounds of solid muscle he would knock the average sucker out cold :)

32. dogluverssuck says: May 26, 2012 11:30 PM

asublimeday says:May 26, 2012 8:52 PM

____________________________

You tell him tiger….ha ha.

Everybody knows you would coward like a beat dog if you stood in front of Vick and ran your coward mouth like you do online.

Again, you tell him tiger :)

33. dogluverssuck says: May 26, 2012 11:33 PM

binarybulge says:May 26, 2012 9:11 PM

___________________________

Yeah and then you would file charges after he knocked your sorry butt out…..HA HA.

34. dogluverssuck says: May 26, 2012 11:36 PM

kingcarlbanks says:May 26, 2012 9:30 PM

_____________________________

I wonder who made up that WHACKO saying….

That should be taking care of your children….I see where your priorities are……

Who really is sick? :)

35. RedRuffensor says: May 26, 2012 11:39 PM

Vick was convicted, served jail time and paid his debt to society. He is entitled to live his life without harassment for his past crimes.

36. dogluverssuck says: May 26, 2012 11:44 PM

Only qb with 2 (100) million dollar contracts, I would hate him too…..ha ha :)

37. inallsincerity says: May 26, 2012 11:52 PM

What a year, 2007. Yeah, what Vick did was despicable, I’m not making any excuses for him. However, the most memorable event of ’07, in my very humble opinion, was the massacre at Virginia Tech. I still find it inconceivable, that America felt more sympathy towards a particular breed of dog (Pit Bull Terrier), than 33 people. Before Vick, after a few people were mauled by Pit Bulls, I remember many people wanted the breed banned. In all probability, the same people who despise Vick, loved the movie Gladiator and watch MMA. Something they didn’t teach us in school but we learned later was, the Roman Empire had many barbaric ways of entertaining the people. The irony of it all…HA!

38. bosco821 says: May 27, 2012 12:02 AM

————————————————–

Ok, name one.

leonard little and donte stallworth..theres 2 for ya

39. fatfreddystubbs says: May 27, 2012 12:14 AM

————————————————–
    Soooo, the best football of his career means losing a playoff game at home by throwing a horrible interception in crunch time? and the best football of his career means missing the playoffs the next year? Wow, he’s great. And stop calling him a man. He’s the farthest thing from a man.

40. eaglesfan723 says: May 27, 2012 12:58 AM

1. He paid his time and debt to society
    2. He has done a lot of good in the community since
    3. For the jackass that says Griffin III is better is a fool to make a comment like that for a player that hasn’t played a single down in the NFL
    4. This article was written to fuel the fire so the author can get attention
    5. For god’s sake…lets move on

41. tlaw21 says: May 27, 2012 1:27 AM

jetmace says:

_____________________

Last I checked dude we don’t eat dogs in the U.S. and the majority of hunters either eat what they harvest or donate to needy families

42. franklamar17 says: May 27, 2012 1:43 AM

Let me do this for mr Vick ,all you back stabbing cowards that would go to hell today if you died…kiss my a!:(;$ Vic has nothing to prove to any one but his family and the man above.we have all these big bad people that talk much sh(:?; but would not say it to his face if they could…

43. NoHomeTeam says: May 27, 2012 2:29 AM

lobm1 says: leave this man alone!! All you haters are idiots & need to get over it. He wasn’t the first person to kill dogs & won’t be the last.

You can’t possibly be this stupid. You must be a troll.
    Try saying the following:

He wasn’t the first person to rape a woman
    He wasn’t the first person to kill a person while DUI
    He wasn’t the first person to shave points from a game
    He wasn’t the first person to abuse a child

How many of these are you comfortable with?
    No, we won’t “leave this man alone.
    He’s got a lot more penance to do before he gets to be left alone.

If you can’t see that, maybe you need to take a look in the mirror.

44. bearsstillsuck says: May 27, 2012 3:45 AM

To use the middle school vernacular that’s so popular on this site, I’m a “hater.”

45. elmaxoh says: May 27, 2012 4:10 AM

Ray Lewis KILLED people and no one is talking about that … Donte Stallworth KILLED a person while he was driving drunk and no one are giving a sh*t about them …

46. kevsright says: May 27, 2012 4:23 AM

Vick is a rotten quarterback and a worse person.
    Get him off my team!

47. IamImBrokeN says: May 27, 2012 4:33 AM

mike vick is a chunk of diseased feces, the only reason more people CAN’T do a more public display is due to the GIGANTIC security fellas he has in front and in back of him at all times. just goes to show the mythbusters were right, you can polish turd but underneath it’s still a turd

48. mrpapadakos says: May 27, 2012 4:54 AM

This —> frankrizzo51 says: May 26, 2012 8:43 PM

I don’t like him, but he’s earned the right to try again.

49. joetoronto says: May 27, 2012 5:20 AM

He stinks as a person and as a QB.

50. dabears2485 says: May 27, 2012 6:42 AM

I’m not a Michael Vick fan. Never have been. From his rookie year, I just didn’t like the fact that he was a runner first and a passer second. Cam Newton is more of the ideal “mobile” QB than Vick ever has been. That’s my opinion of his football sense.

Anyway….I find his contrition to be suspect. If he hadn’t gotten caught, would he feel as guilty? I doubt it. Your character is shaped by your actions when no one is looking moreso than when you are caught. Doing the right things because the spotlight was/is on doesn’t count. I would say anything, whether truthful or not, to make his annual salary. Why is he any better just because sports media tells me he “changed?” You may disagree, and that’s your right. But I find him to be disingenuous.

Local businesses should stay away from this guy as an attraction. Large corporations like Nike or Gatorade could get away with it because everyone knows they won’t lose enough business to matter. But small businesses should stick to cleaner-cut people. It’s just smart business when your customer base isn’t in the millions.

51. tatum064 says: May 27, 2012 6:53 AM

People need to grow up and get a life. I did see one pretty cool t-shirt in Berkeley, CA.

Vick; Dog Killer

Bush; Iraqi Human Killer – 14,748 casualties

(so an Iraqi is worth less than a dog?)

Get over Vick, he paid his dues…

52. tatum064 says: May 27, 2012 6:56 AM

fatfreddystubbs says:
    May 26, 2012 10:03 PM
    ————————————————–

Ok, name one

======================

HENRY LEE LUCAS. Convicted of nearly 350 murders and sentenced to Death Row, then granted a stay of execution and commuted to life imprisonment by none other than

George. W. Bush, Gov. of Texas. in 1998

any other questions?

53. kevsright says: May 27, 2012 8:15 AM

(so an Iraqi is worth less than a dog?)

Depends on which breed of dog.

54. heywoodjablome says: May 27, 2012 8:24 AM

Same comments over and over and over again. Yawn.

55. o0omorriso0o says: May 27, 2012 8:29 AM

OK a bunch of you idiots need a lesson in RIGHT and WRONG!!!

1.) Who gives us the right to judge anyone? Huh? You idiots think your all high and mighty?

2.) People cut off deers heads, stuff it and put it on their wall to be proud of. That’s just sick but society says that’s OK? I think Society is screwy…

3.) Your making your self’s look bad by continuing with the hate. Seriously… Worry about your own damn lives. What has he ever done since getting out of jail (since you realize he was punished right?), hmmm I am waiting? A dog is no more important than a deer, I’m sorry but those are true morals people need to realize…

4.) You Vick haters are actually out-numbered. You might think you are in the common but that’s only because you people that want to hate and judge are more likely to comment then the ones that don’t give a crap…

I have never been more sickened then I am of the human race then with you people. No what he did was wrong, but he paid for it and has done nothing but good since. It’s not our damn job. And for the people wishing to harm him or calls him names… You realize your the one that looks to have bad character, not Vick. Do you really want Vick to look better then you? If not then shut your trap. And for the people calling Vick a coward…lol He is no coward. He has to go around with many people wanting him dead or hurt, into stadiums where he gets booed and spit on, etc… Trust me that’s bravery. And for the people that says GOOD, he deserves it! Well… Once again your a very sad person with rotten character and Vick is already better than you!!!

I think we should all be hating on these classless and pathetic haters, not Vick!!!

56. oldbyrd says: May 27, 2012 8:39 AM

I am the world’s biggest dog lover. No excuse, what Vic did is horrible. So that being said , I called God and told him not to forgive Vic. He didn’t listen.

57. dd393 says: May 27, 2012 8:50 AM

How much has he donated to the ASPCA?

58. deuces8 says: May 27, 2012 8:52 AM

haters gonna hate

59. dogluverssuck says: May 27, 2012 9:34 AM

6 years 100 million is all the forgiveness I would need….ha ha :)

60. choice1329 says: May 27, 2012 12:01 PM

dd393 says:
    May 27, 2012 8:50 AM
    How much has he donated to the ASPCA?

___________________________________
    ___________________________________

Not sure how much he has donated, but my guess is that if its just $1.00 its more than what you have donated.

61. CKL says: May 27, 2012 12:14 PM

I hate when people say “don’t judge”. Every single one of us judges every single day. It’s NECESSARY. If we were unable to “judge” people’s character (or anything else), we couldn’t hire people, fire people, date people, etc. Silliness.

62. o0omorriso0o says: May 27, 2012 1:03 PM

CKL says: May 27, 2012 12:14 PM

———————–

Judging someone is one thing. But going out of your way to make comments, protest, and everything else is just wrong. If you don’t like Vick then fine that is your right. But the way people go about this is morally wrong and only make them look worse then Vick which I am sure is the last thing they want lol

63. CKL says: May 27, 2012 1:24 PM

@ morris:
    Well you yourself said this:
    “Who gives us the right to judge anyone? Huh? You idiots think your all high and mighty?

How else was I supposed to interpret this?

So what you meant is that you like/respect Vick and don’t want to read/see/hear criticism of him. That’s your right to feel that way of course, but it isn’t how your post came off. It came off as exhibiting the same things you hate about people who don’t like Vick, only you like him instead.

64. dutchtwister says: May 27, 2012 3:27 PM

Omg this is better then watching jersey shore when will you idiots finally realize that hating on someone will not get you no where so what the man fought dogs who cares u think he does no he still makes more then all you haters in one week then we make in a life time so let’s all get off the hater train and get back to reality

65. laserw says: May 27, 2012 5:38 PM

I’m sorry, but serving a prison sentence doesn’t wash away taking innocent animals and profiting from them and then when they failed your selfish interests, you personally smashed them to death. While “society” may have been served, the fact remains that Vick will always be a convicted felon (but that will likely end when Obama issues his last minute pardons on his way out in January).

Vick as a football player is worse than McNubb and is not an elite passer. He continues to squander the gifts he was given and hasn’t really changed that much. As a resident in his hometown, he is still the same old guy he’s always been.

66. choice1329 says: May 27, 2012 9:28 PM

I guess the moderator likes the previous comments, (since he didnt remove it) I guess this moderator can’t stand the truth, well if my folks were responsible for the deaths of many for no apparent reason other than them being a different skin color I wouldn’t like the truth either.

67. chuckrob67 says: May 27, 2012 9:35 PM

Vick Haters…they’re everywhere… The man served his time. Get over it. Man I wish that was all I had to worry about in life was the lives of some animals…

68. joeyd524 says: May 28, 2012 11:17 AM

he’ll never collect all the money on his last contract and i would bet anything within 4-5yrs he’s completly broke

69. jrod321 says: May 28, 2012 1:44 PM

@ “hulkhogan”………………………..Not necessary a fan, but aren’t you forgetting “CAAAAAAM, OOOOOO CAM” Newton?????

He was kinda hot his rookie year, work’n with a garbage squad

70. slick3 says: May 28, 2012 2:37 PM

mancave001 says: May 26, 2012 9:13 PM

==========================================================
    Believe me. they’ll never let it go because Vick is the “whipping boy” for a certain overly-stereotyped minority.

71. guitardaddy says: May 28, 2012 2:50 PM

I support MV for everything he does both on and off the field. I have forgiven him, he paid his dues and apparently now is paying the creditors.But I find it offensive that his critics can sit at home and watch alligators get shot by the hundreds, and all the “good ole boys ” hunt with precision rifles and they call it managing the population. Or how about the guys who have thousands of acres and the stock it with all sorts of wildlife that are slaughtered in the name of “sport”. I am confused and pissed off ! Let Michael Vick alone. He is allowed to evolve and be forgiven just as any ex-offender should be .

72. roccovaracalli says: May 28, 2012 3:47 PM

Wow I can’t get over the idiots on this comment page!!!! First of all michael Vick is a top ten qb ,,,,actually I’ll put him in top 5 !!!! Trust me,,,when the season kicks off he will be one of the top 5 qb’s in the year 2012 !!! As far as his haters go on here,,,,well your not NFL caliber players ,,,,, so that leaves you out about listing him or rating him in any form!!!!!! The top 100 have spoken,,,,,and oh none of you are even NFL players,,,,,so that shuts you up right there alone!!!! So you want to talk about his doggy killing????? Well I hope you all never killed any type of living thing what so ever!!! I know I have!!!! Look Vick took his punnishment!!!! Next time you go hunting,,,,maybe you should do some prison time right,,,oh that’s right ,,,that’s legal!!!!! Dog fighting and killing any animal is wrong,,,butwe do it everyday,,,,than we eat it!!!!!! Please all redskin and calm down,,,,,,,do you remember Heath Schiller,,,,,you got so excited,,,the next answer to a god for you guys!!!! Rg3 well he has hit the big time yet,,,,,,Tim tebow was a great college qb too!!!!

73. oldbyrd says: May 28, 2012 5:38 PM

After all is said and done about Vic, I wonder what it would take to give the guy another shot? He has done a lot of good things. He visits schools and talks to kids. Does he give $ to the SPCA or any NO_KILL Animal shelter? I don’t know. I wonder how all the Phila. Eagle Vic haters would feel if he has a great season? I personally take care of 7 homeless animals. So you are talking to someone who deplores his past actions. Did he pay for his cruelty to animals? Im not sure.

74. eaglesnoles05 says: May 28, 2012 6:36 PM

Some horses so high on this thread that’s it’s hard to even hear from way up there!

75. choice1329 says: May 28, 2012 9:45 PM

joeyd524 says:
    May 28, 2012 11:17 AM

___________________________________

That contact is really messing with you isn’t it…………………GOOD, well one thing for sure, unlike you he’s not broke today.

76. choice1329 says: May 28, 2012 10:41 PM

slick3 says:
    May 28, 2012 2:37 PM
    mancave001 says: May 26, 2012 9:13 PM

==========================================================

___________________________________
    ___________________________________

I guess the moderator didn’t like what I said again. The truth really bothers him, how sad. But as I said before, you are absolutely right. These same folks will talk about someone else’s past all day, I guess that helps them forget their hateful, ugly, cruel evil past. But I guess we are suppose to just forget it since it happened a few years back, but on the same note we have to remember the dogs………………….YEAH RIGHT

77. bleedgreen80 says: May 29, 2012 5:32 AM

its funny how alot of people are saying i dont forgive him. i seriously doubt he gets on his knees and prays for your forgiveness thats between him and the man upstairs

78. hollaatyaboy says: May 29, 2012 8:29 AM

@ o0omorriso0o

Well said!!!!

79. choice1329 says: May 29, 2012 10:38 AM

Do any of you losers know what happening with Vick’s two codefendants, I read somewhere they had dogs, to be more specific pit bulls………………….any concerns?? Just curious.

80. keepwhining777 says: May 29, 2012 8:50 PM

Every person who post on here that they havent forgiven or forgotten vick is ignorant period. Kobe bryan is a rapist, donte stalleorth killed a person in a vehicle drunk but no one says anything bad about them. Who do you think you are that your opinion matters in the first place. When did it become your job to forgive someone you dont know? Seriously you all have problems and i hope someone kills your dog. He did his time and now he deserves a secod chance anyone who thinks different needs to take a look in the mirror. And to whoever it was that thought they would win a fight against bick i think that is laughable. The man is one of the most athletic and quickest people on the planet he probably dance around you and beat you senseless, that is if he didnt knock your head off your houlders with his rocket of a left arm on the first punch. But then again he would never live that down either and the sheer fact that he has held his composure through situations like that and has said nothing but the right things shows he has matured. So grow up and go cry at the humane society with the rest of the “perfect” people who have the clout to judge michael vick or anyone else. People like you make me sick. We should force you all to cage fight until the death. Lol

81. moecincydude says: Jun 3, 2012 1:23 PM

Over sterotyped minority. Have you watched the news?