Schiano getting Bucs ready for the Tampa heat

123312066_crop_650x440 Getty Images

It’s hot in Tampa, especially in the early months of the season.  New Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano knows it.

And he plans to have his players ready for it.

As Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune explains it, Schiano requires players to run from one drill to the next during OTA sessions.  Injured players perform whatever work they can perform outside, in the sun.

“That has to become our advantage,” Schiano said.  “When you get teams out there in that stadium and it’s really hot and you push the envelope, I think it becomes an advantage and that’s something that is important to me.”

And Schiano knows a thing or two about maximizing the benefits of playing home games in heat and humidity.  He served as an assistant coach at the University of Miami for two years before becoming the head coach at Rutgers.

So look for the Bucs to be fully acclimated when the Panthers come to town on September 9, when the Redskins arrive on September 30, when the Chiefs visit on October 14, and when the Saints slide out of the climate-controlled Superdome on October 21.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
21 Responses to “Schiano getting Bucs ready for the Tampa heat”
  1. 941bucs says: May 28, 2012 12:15 AM

It is hotter than a mother down here. Being climatized to this humidity has to be an advantage come game time september

2. ibreathefootball says: May 28, 2012 12:25 AM

I’m born and raised in Tampa, and it’s the humidity that’s the most brutal! The Bucs forgot about free agency for a couple of years, hopefully that doesn’t have a negative impact on their game plan for 2012!

3. jus10jonez says: May 28, 2012 1:45 AM

You can tell its the dog-days of football when there are articles about players preparing for future weather conditions. We all know this is an advantage for certain teams (Miami, tampa, new England, green bay), so do we REALLY need pointless stories?????

4. jcg23 says: May 28, 2012 5:00 AM

I was in the Coast Guard in Tampa/St Pete. The Heat could sap your strength in a couple hours, I remember being out in early March painting an Anchor chain and having a heat stroke later that night and I’ve lived in the South my entire life.

5. johnmaddenslovechild says: May 28, 2012 5:11 AM

You ever just get a good feeling about something?? I know we’re not even in the season yet and talkin about it right now is just wishful thinking but who’s to say we can’t go from worst to first again?!

6. illwillthemick says: May 28, 2012 5:16 AM

Yo LoL at anyone who thinks its that hot and humid in tampa, trust me new jersey philly the humidity is crazy!!! Way worse then down south!!! trust me!! And then when the heat goes away it gets bonechilling cold!!!

7. lolb23 says: May 28, 2012 7:28 AM

It’s cold in Detroit 9 months out of the year and the Lions went into Tampa and easily beat the Bucs. Heat is overrated.

8. phillyphan72 says: May 28, 2012 9:11 AM

It all comes to who wants it more…bottom line..they’ve played in Tampa for 45 years now they got a coach who wants to take advantage of it?? LOL..good luck

9. gotampabay52 says: May 28, 2012 9:17 AM

Other teams poke your fun. Past coaches practice inside. Am glad we are going hard at practice. He wants the team to compete where the last few yrs we didn’t. It’s the steps we are taking now to build us back up to play against anyteam. 11 wins this year.

10. larrycenters says: May 28, 2012 9:30 AM

Get them ready for that June heat…then give them a month off before camp. Pointless.

11. bucingnasty says: May 28, 2012 9:34 AM

Illwillthemick:

Yo lol

12. kingpel says: May 28, 2012 9:35 AM

and maybe learn from Coach Rah’s mistakes and avoid drinking on nights before games.

13. deertay says: May 28, 2012 9:46 AM

Come down to the bayou in July and tell me Philly is hotter.

14. philwauke says: May 28, 2012 9:54 AM

Try practicing in the Louisiana sun everyday.

15. duanethomas says: May 28, 2012 10:02 AM

Its easier for cold weather teams to play in a hot climate then it is for hot climate teams to go up North. Green Bay going to Houston to Miami or them going to Green Bay in December or Chicago?

16. nobby821 says: May 28, 2012 10:26 AM

Yes it gets hot up north… IN THE SUMMER
    Its hot down here almost all year, Hell we didn’t even have a winter last year. I love everything coach Schiano has done so far making this team tough the old school way. The Bucs are back..now lets respond Tampa and get rid of these blackouts!

Go Bucs!

17. nobby821 says: May 28, 2012 11:03 AM

Ps. Everyone seems to be calling him COACH Schiano, a big step up from “Rah”. Its called respect and coach Schiano revels in it.

18. CKL says: May 28, 2012 1:42 PM

Smart coaching by Schiano. I like this guy, I think he’ll be VERY good for the Bucs.

I do think that hot weather can be more of an advantage. I don’t mean just warm, I mean brutal South in the summer time hot. When it’s cold, guys can layer more articles of clothing, wear gloves etc. When it’s hot and you have uniform requirements and are doing a physical activity? Not so much.

19. pb420 says: May 28, 2012 4:49 PM

lolb23 says:
    May 28, 2012 7:28 AM
    ———————————————————–
    Easily beat the Bucs? You won by 1 TD, and it was down to the wire, against a very undisciplined team, so get over yourselves. A win is a win no matter what, but they way you talk you came in and hung 21 on the Bucs, which was hardly the case. I know one stat that the Lions will be beating the Bucs in this season, and that is the police blotter. Go Bucs!!!!!!

20. joewilliesshnoz says: May 28, 2012 9:19 PM

It’s easier to win, going from a cold city to a hot climate, than going from a hot to a cold city .

21. nunpuncher says: May 29, 2012 11:41 AM

Far cry from Raheem Morris hittin the clubs with the fellas and practicing indoors at Tropicana Field. Good riddance!