Sapp’s book looks like a must-read

c4s_sapp052712_224205d

It doesn’t come out until August, so you can strike it from the early phases of your summer reading list.  But few football books figure to be more entertaining than Sapp Attack, the first written offering from former NFL lineman Warren Sapp.

Gary Shelton of the Tampa Bay Times recently previewed the 314-page effort, in which Sapp apparently perfectly captures his essence:  “[H]e is loud, and he is profane, and he is stepping on a different set of toes every time you turn a page,” Shelton writes.  “You may like it, you may hate it, and you may stay up late laughing about it.”

Sapp shares his views on his coaches and teammates, telling it like he sees it.  Sapp says he chose to play college football at Miami over Florida State in part because coach Bobby Bowden referred to one of his other players as a “fat ass.”  Sapp says that his first NFL coach, Sam Wyche, tried to motivate “by making snide comments, by belittling people.”  Sapp says that “Tony Dungy put the damn cake in the oven, and then Jon Gruden came in and put the icing on it.”

Sapp’s views on the men he played with include outing former Bucs defensive tackle Brad Culpepper for cheating.  Sapp claims that Culpepper, now a lawyer and one of the many former players suing the NFL for concussions, used silicone to make it harder to be held.  “Now that [Culpepper] also is retired, I’ll confess for him that he was one of the people who did that,” Sapp writes.  “He practically bathed in silicone before a game.  Trust me, if he had ever tried to hug his wife before a game, she would have slipped right out of his arms and gone straight up in the air.”

Um, does that make Sapp a snitch?

Perhaps the most intriguing thing about the book is that the cover art features an image of Sapp wearing the Super Bowl ring that, according to his bankruptcy filing, he lost several years ago.  Though it’s quite likely that the picture was digitally altered, it’s a detail that Sapp will surely have to explain at some point to one of Sapp’s colleagues in the judiciary.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
51 Responses to “Sapp’s book looks like a must-read”
  1. jwayne111 says: May 28, 2012 11:50 PM

Is anyone surprised by this?…I’m surprised the NFL network still has him on air. Getting abit to outrageous.

2. ottograham says: May 28, 2012 11:51 PM

Yeah buddy

3. rajbais says: May 28, 2012 11:52 PM

Before people accuse him of trying to make money off of the book please note that books are not that profitable!!!!

Trust me!!! They are not because if Dan Wetzel and Josh Luchs can point that out as book writers and Jose Canseco confesses to only have made $1.5 million offer his first book and lost all of that in his Los Angeles-area home Warren Sapp should not be accused of profiteering or attempting to do so!!!!!!!

4. deadeyedesign23 says: May 28, 2012 11:54 PM

“Though it’s quite likely that the picture was digitally altered”

You can tell from that thumbnail that not only is that not his ring, that’s not his hand.

5. seatownballers says: May 28, 2012 11:59 PM

Who does he snitch on in the book?

6. mullman7675 says: May 29, 2012 12:03 AM

Nice try Warren.

7. tfbuckfutter says: May 29, 2012 12:12 AM

Not that it’s particularly relevant to this topic….but Brad Culpepper was probably the nicest, most out going professional athlete I have ever met.

Went to a Bucs Charity thing back in 1997 or 1998, and Mike Alstott showed up late, and kept his head down signing autographs except occasionally picking it up to smile for a picture (or going the extra mile for some of the cuter girls)….But Brad Culpepper was signing anything and everything, talking to people, great with the kids, he signed the promo photos all the players did, and I saw him ask more than a couple fans “Want me to sign your shirt or your hat?”

Even though he now does embarrassing ambulance-chasing type commercials during the local Judge Judy broadcasts, I will always have the impression of him being a really great guy.

8. vekin1648 says: May 29, 2012 12:38 AM

Stop Snitching Sapp!!!

9. coltsluckdynasty says: May 29, 2012 12:40 AM

I just can’t read a book that I have to envision sapp’s voice in my head. Yes, that absolutely makes him a snitch, I hope culpepper sues him too. He thinks he is hilarious, I’m glad that someone out there does. Please NBC, devote more air time to the NFL. I love the class of NBC, and the journalists. ESPN is old, stale, and just not entertaining. The NFL network is just filled with the likes of Sapp, Irvin, and deion sanders…. Enough said, role models huh??

10. techvet says: May 29, 2012 12:53 AM

Snitching is OK *only* if done by Warren Sapp.

11. demolition510 says: May 29, 2012 12:56 AM

Warren Snitch

12. arrghmakeitstop says: May 29, 2012 1:04 AM

I could have sworn he sold his SB ring too, or is that photoshopped in?

13. thetwilightsown says: May 29, 2012 1:10 AM

rajbais says:
    May 28, 2012 11:52 PM

__________________________________

I wrote a book, I made great money off of it. And I didn’t get paid a fat advance, which I’m sure Warren received. (To the highest bidder no less) Also, books like albums escalate in payout – they hit certain tiers and the royalty rate grows – and not just in percentage points but also in hard money once all costs are recouped.

Doesn’t really matter… what’s wrong with making money? Unless… you’re a hypocrite making money, snitching out players while trying to “out” other players as snitches without knowing what the hell you’re talking about.

Sapp’s a turd.

14. tomandrews22 says: May 29, 2012 1:23 AM

Why read that? I see enough of him crapping on the Raiders on TV. Don’t need to see it in print too.

15. rangenius says: May 29, 2012 1:43 AM

Hey idiot, you write a book to make money, why else would you do it?

16. ademell1 says: May 29, 2012 1:43 AM

It says “BIG LAUGHS” and the critics are right.

Just look at the cover photo.

17. jacobslatter says: May 29, 2012 1:54 AM

Crapp Attack

18. bigbadal21 says: May 29, 2012 2:04 AM

I don’t think that is anybodys hand. I think it is suppose to be a hand with the thumb protruding through the first and second finger. The index finger seems to be twice as long as normal and in a very unhuman like position. The thumb would also have to be twice the length of a normal sized thumb.

19. stercuilus65 says: May 29, 2012 2:18 AM

The book is a translation fro Sapp’s original notes in crayon on construction paper.

20. Ghost Rat says: May 29, 2012 2:19 AM

I guess this is his retirement plan from the NFL Network!

21. monkeyhateclean says: May 29, 2012 3:45 AM

Funny how these “tell-all” books come out only after their “authors” have squeezed every last dime out of their playing and post-playing careers.

Sapp had zero cred as a player, and magnitudes less a commentator on the sport. His absence is the NFL network’s gain.

22. bears354 says: May 29, 2012 3:55 AM

What happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room. Unless I need money, then you’re all fair game. -Warren Sapp

23. trollaikman8 says: May 29, 2012 4:11 AM

He didn’t like coaches that belittled players. That’s awesome for Warren.

Wait. Isn’t Warren a blowhard bully who belittles people?

24. cupofjoe1962 says: May 29, 2012 4:52 AM

Let’s face it…. If you are black & obnoxious former player, you will
    Get a job on TV.

25. kegowhisky says: May 29, 2012 5:29 AM

Must admit that I won’t one of those making Sapp any richer (or more able to pay off his creditors.) His behavior through this whole “Shockey Snitch” thing, if not before, makes his words the last thing I’d ever part with dollars for.

26. steelerfan999 says: May 29, 2012 6:16 AM

Its a good bathroom book,ill use it to wipe my arse!!!!!

27. joetoronto says: May 29, 2012 6:17 AM

What a fat POS.

28. Herb Deluxe says: May 29, 2012 6:31 AM

Terrible photoshop. Looks like a Master P album cover.

29. wolfiewolfgang says: May 29, 2012 6:51 AM

I don’t care about snitch, code, motivation or whatever jock ethics get brought up on this site. All I care about is the factual accuracy of the statements made. Like Jose Conseco he can be a piece of crap. I don’t need to know what his motivation is or like the guy I just want to know if it’s true or false.

30. jagsfanugh says: May 29, 2012 6:54 AM

“Perhaps the most intriguing thing about the book is that the cover art features an image of Sapp wearing the Super Bowl ring that, according to his bankruptcy filing, he lost several years ago. Though it’s quite likely that the picture was digitally altered, it’s a detail that Sapp will surely have to explain at some point to one of Sapp’s colleagues in the judiciary.”

Drew Brees demands an explanation.

31. bradentonbuc says: May 29, 2012 6:55 AM

Looking forward to reading it. I hope he has some barbecue recipes in there!

32. going4iton4th says: May 29, 2012 7:21 AM

I loved Sapp as a player,an intense guy that you knew would bring it on Sunday. It’s sounds like the book could be a funny read if anything else.

33. dd393 says: May 29, 2012 7:22 AM

The people who will read this book are the same people who watch reality shows on Fox and MTV.

34. jpb12 says: May 29, 2012 7:27 AM

Arrogant, ignorant, idiot.
    No way he spells his own name let alone write a book about anything.
    Money grab.

35. steeelfann says: May 29, 2012 8:01 AM

Cue the exhausting: “Haters gonna hate”

36. rodge1 says: May 29, 2012 8:04 AM

I was a huge Sapp fan on the field. Not so much now. Warren Sapp has become the ‘Jose Canseco’ of football.

37. vincentbojackson says: May 29, 2012 8:09 AM

Must read?

Judging by his financial woes, I think it was a must write.

38. selldannysell says: May 29, 2012 8:20 AM

Oh, I thought this was going to be a coloring book.

39. orthomarine says: May 29, 2012 8:39 AM

wonder when the picture was taken? I agree with the ring part. He’ hiding it in his butt; that’s a secret revealed when you fold page 82 and 83 in half and put them together.

40. hebertespinosa says: May 29, 2012 8:54 AM

I bet he will not mention his recent episode involving Jeremy Shockey and the bounty scheme, which by the way was a completely false statement (or suggestion if you prefer).

41. melikefootball says: May 29, 2012 8:56 AM

Lets hope all fans let it sit on the shelf, another ploy to get money.

42. bigjd says: May 29, 2012 9:33 AM

I won’t even read it when it gets tossed into the discount bin.

43. beedubyatoo says: May 29, 2012 9:38 AM

Did he write it with Crayon?

44. wozzmann1955 says: May 29, 2012 9:43 AM

This Bozo purposely injured people and thought he was cute when he did.I have zero respect for this poor excuse of a human.

45. clintonportisheadd says: May 29, 2012 9:56 AM

I see Sapp is following the standard procedure for retired jocks.

1) Get a job in the media (after having treated the media like sh%t over the years)

2) Get fired from the media when a bigger name retires and takes your place since you never bothered working on your craft.

3) File bankruptcy

4) Write a “tell all” book in which you burn whatever bridges you have left.

5) Appear on some Spike TV “Jocks vs Joes”type shows.

6) Get arrested for domestic assault/file concussion lawsuit.

46. kingcarlbanks says: May 29, 2012 10:08 AM

Can’t be worse than MeShawn Johnsons book. I wish I could say I won’t read it, but I will.

47. NancyNancy says: May 29, 2012 11:03 AM

Obviously no one who has commented here has been through bankruptcy. It’s not an “easy way out”, nor fun in any way, and it’s certainly not just something you do when you get behind with the bills. And once you file bankruptcy, it certainly does not make anything easier and actually makes the situation worse (job wise, credit wise, relationships, etc.). So for those who feel that bankruptcy is just something you do and then it propels you to upper class status as if nothing happened, you are misguided.

Bankruptcy is hell and getting past it and moving on are hell. So if Sapp can make a buck to at least begin to get out from bankruptcy hell, more power to him.

48. frankiemontana says: May 29, 2012 12:27 PM

Sapp reminds me of a kid that no one likes anymore so he starts to say stuff about other people, but I guess you have to do whatever you have to do to stay in the limelight,

49. backindasaddle says: May 29, 2012 1:07 PM

Gary Shelton of the Tampa Bay Times recently previewed the 314-page effort, in which Sapp apparently perfectly captures his essence: “[H]e is loud, and he is profane, and he is stepping on a different set of toes every time you turn a page,” Shelton writes. “You may like it, you may hate it, and you may stay up late laughing about it.”
    ________________________________________________________

….. and you may conclude that Warren Sapp is the same loud mouthed jack arss that you always thought he was.

50. tdk24 says: May 29, 2012 10:58 PM

I thought he put Alonzo Highsmith on the cover for a second there.

51. paulieorkid says: May 29, 2012 11:28 PM

Sapp appears to abhor snitches and people who belittle people — yet Sapp himself snitches and belittles others like a Gatlin gun.

Kind of a world class hypocrite, huh?