Scandrick wants no part of the safety position

95650423_crop_650x440 Getty Images

Though it’s Memorial Day and not Thanksgiving (Metta World Peace set me straight on that), we’re thankful for the Cowboys and their cornucopia of cornerbacks.  From whether the Cowboys will trade cornerback Mike Jenkins to when they will trade him if they ever decide to do so to whether they’ll slide one of their corners to safety in order to keep as many of them on the field as possible, the Dallas defensive backs have helped us fill up the page on what otherwise would have been a slow news day.

On that last point, Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com writes that Orlando Scandrick has scant interest (actually none, but I was having a Chris Berman moment and couldn’t resist using “scant” after “Scandrick”) in playing safety.

Not happening,” Scandrick said.  “Brodney Pool, Gerald Sensabaugh and Barry Church are our safeties. Orlando Scandrick, Morris Claiborne, Brandon Carr and Mike Jenkins are our corners.”

We can’t imagine Scandrick refusing to play safety if being a safety gets him on the field and being a cornerback leaves him on the bench.  For now, he professes ignorance as to the specific strategies that will be employed.

“I have no idea what they have planned,” Scandrick said.  “I feel like the best players are going to play regardless of your contract, draft status or who you are.”

Given the various types and forms of coverages, Scandrick can play like a safety while still telling himself that he’s a corner.  In Cover Three and Cover Four, corners typically join the safeties in patrolling the deep zones.  In pure man coverage, it doesn’t really matter whether a guy is a corner or a safety.  For Scandrick, as long as he’s not covering a deep zone in Cover One or Cover Two or otherwise providing help over the top for Carr or Claiborne or Jenkins, Scandrick plausibly can continue to regard himself as playing cornerback.

Even if he technically isn’t.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Scandrick wants no part of the safety position”
  1. captainhook11 says: May 28, 2012 9:33 PM

The Cowboys should use him close to the way LSU uses Tyrann Mathieu (The Honey Badger). If you watched LSU you know what Im talking about.

2. romeoigromo says: May 28, 2012 9:46 PM

That is whats wrong fundamentally with the Cowboys. Everyone has an opinion. Last time I checked Bellicheck had a WR playing corner because it was best for the team. Scandrick should just shutup and play wherever he is needed. Coaches coach and players play.

3. bhindenemylines says: May 28, 2012 9:46 PM

Whatever happened to “I’m just happy to be here. I’ll do anything I can to help the team win.”

Learn it.

Know it.

Live it.

Both Jenkins and Scandrick need to do all three.

4. youngnyg says: May 28, 2012 10:07 PM

Really doesn’t Matter… All those corners are gonna be lunch meat come this season…. TRUST N Believe…. #BigBlue Wrecking Crew……

5. granadafan says: May 28, 2012 10:11 PM

Now there’s a team player!

6. billymc75 says: May 28, 2012 10:20 PM

That’s not what he said last year and the year before, before his new contract he was willing to play anywhere, funny how they do that these days .

7. descendency says: May 28, 2012 10:23 PM

Maybe he was thumbing his nose up at the idea of playing safety or maybe he was saying that the Cowboys simply don’t need him to play safety because they have a bunch of guys already at safety.

This guy is a very good slot corner. I know people don’t seem to think that’s really important, but a good slot corner is almost as important as a boundary corner when you play NE, NO, GB, etc.

8. stoptrippn says: May 28, 2012 10:25 PM

Selfish. Be happy you are playing a sport for a living…

9. randallflagg52 says: May 28, 2012 10:38 PM

romeoigromo says:
    May 28, 2012 9:46 PM

===================================

That may be why the Patriots had one of the worst defenses in recent memory…

10. hugejazz says: May 28, 2012 10:49 PM

Sounds like somebody has the case of the “I just wanna cash my checks and not have to play”.

11. rajbais says: May 28, 2012 10:49 PM

He might as well play it because there is no flux or overflow of good safeties in the NFL!!!

There are plenty of good pash rushers and offensive players (thanks to the rules and bad officials)!!!

Just do something that could possibly help Dallas!!!

12. omegaichiban says: May 28, 2012 10:59 PM

I think they should cut him right now…as many problems as Dallas has had since they last won a Superbowl (much less two playoff games) the last thing they need is someone saying “I’m not playing that position”

13. thecrazyasianinseccountry says: May 29, 2012 1:05 AM

@captainhook….
    I know what you’re talking about, Claiborne knocks the ball up and HoneyB intercept for TD, but don’t give Mo too much credit or take away any from HB, even as a freshman I thought HoneyBadger was great. I was screaming at the announcers everytime they gave Peterson all the credit…. I’m like “am I the only person that can see that Mathieu is causing most of the havocs on the field.”

14. astrosfan75956 says: May 29, 2012 1:37 AM

Scandrick, shut up and play youre not that good anyways.

15. malbosia says: May 29, 2012 2:04 AM

I don’t play football but I imagine if a guy has been playing the same position for about the last 10 years (including college) he would be a little reluctant about switching positions. If your boss wanted to make you switch jobs after 10 plus years you would probably have a problem with it too. The only difference is Scandrick can tell reporters about his frustration and we can only complain to our significant other. I’m sure that if it came down to switching to safety or getting cut he would switch. But sometimes you have to stand your ground or people are going to walk all over you.

16. kingjeremi84 says: May 29, 2012 6:47 AM

We shall see once the season starts youngnyg.go cowboys.still like to see mike traded for freeney

17. csimms23 says: May 29, 2012 7:34 AM

Sigh… As a die hard Cowboys fan that irks my soul.

1.) Jerry Jones needs to be relinquished of GM. But not for the reasons every one says. Jerry Jones is one of the best, if not the best at evaluating talent in the NFL. Don’t believe me? Then why are the Cowboys constantly deemed the most talented team in the NFL? They just never meet expectations.

Jerry Jones isn’t a man of high character. So you can’t expect him to draft/sign/hire someone with character. That’s why the Cowboys never meet expectations. You’ve got a bunch of extremely talented people but they don’t have enough heart and character to work hard enough to get where they belong.

2.) Jason Garrett. He doesn’t even need to go, but he needs to give up Offensive Coordinator or Head Coach. He can’t handle both. I figured Jerry would learn his lessons when Wade Phillips tried to handle Defensive Coordinator/Head Coach, I guess he didn’t. I honestly prefer him at OC. We had probably the most explosive offense in the league when he was just OC. Now we have an up and down offense.

18. ksm31311 says: May 29, 2012 7:44 AM

randallflagg52 says:
    May 28, 2012 10:38 PM
    romeoigromo says:
    May 28, 2012 9:46 PM

===================================

That may be why the Patriots had one of the worst defenses in recent memory…

++++++++++++

And three SB wins since the Cowgirls last won theirs…

Scoreboard is all that matters in this life…

19. paulsmith107 says: May 29, 2012 8:27 AM

People are so stupid. The guy is a corner who has to learn deffensive alignments as a corner I can see why he wouldn’t want to be a safety and learn those plays also. So scandrick says yeah I’ll do both and then has a bad year in which everyone claims he sucks because he tried to do something he wasn’t comfortable with. We all know half of the lazy toads posting wouldn’t go above and beyond in their own jobs

20. ppc50 says: May 29, 2012 9:00 AM

Scandrick is not good. Either trade or cut him and keep Jenkins. Jones should never have signed him for that extension last year.

21. rufustfireflyjr says: May 29, 2012 9:00 AM

Unlike some of the posters here, I totally get it why Scandrick doesn’t want to play, or be known as, a safety. This is a business, and safeties generally get paid less than corners. However, I suspect that, if given the choice between playing safety or getting cut, or playing safety or riding the pines, he’ll play safety.

22. SparkyGump says: May 29, 2012 9:06 AM

I still can’t understand why Jerry paid this guy.

23. kingcarlbanks says: May 29, 2012 9:45 AM

From watching him play it seems like he wants no part of being a corner either…

24. heyguru1969 says: May 29, 2012 10:36 AM

As a Cowboys’ fan since game 1 in 1960, it’s disappointing to see guys like this who don’t get the big picture. You’ll play wherever the Coach says you’ll play, and you’ll play your best or go get a job at Wendy’s. Guys like this earn nicknames like “The Money Badger” when the only thing that’s important is how much bling they have at the strip club, and not about being an exceptional teammate. Sad, sad, sad.

25. tonyromoisterrible says: May 29, 2012 10:38 PM