Terrence Cody says he lost too much weight last year

Terrence Cody Pic Getty Images

Ravens third-year nose tackle Terrence Cody’s weight is a constant concern because he’s ballooned to 400 pounds before. The Ravens list him at 349.

Cody trimmed down to 335 last year, but in hindsight doesn’t believe it was the best decision.

“Losing that weight last year kind of made me a little weak because I lost it a little too fast,” Cody said. “But working out with [strength coach] Bob [Rogucki] … I am feeling good. … I feel good, I look good.”

Per Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times, Cody has “restructured his bulk” and lost a significant amount of body fat since his rookie year. Wilson says Cody is “noticeably leaner” at OTAs.

Per Cody, his focus continues to be “Just taking care of my body. Most of all, it’s just eating right and just staying in shape.”

Still just 24 years old, Cody teams with Haloti Ngata to form a nearly 700-pound interior on the Ravens’ defensive line. Baltimore ranked second in the league in run defense last season. If this is the year Cody realizes his potential, the Ravens will make a strong push to unseat San Francisco for the No. 1 spot.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Terrence Cody says he lost too much weight last year”
  1. backindasaddle says: May 28, 2012 8:06 PM

Blocking him must be like trying to push a Sperm whale off the beach.

2. bullethead527 says: May 28, 2012 8:17 PM

If weight is an issue, and the Ravens don’t want him, I would love for him to come over to Carolina, we need a big guy to anchor our DEF line.

3. Deb says: May 28, 2012 8:19 PM

Doesn’t matter what he weighs, he’ll always be “Mt. Cody” to the Bama faithful!

4. flaccounibrow says: May 28, 2012 8:27 PM

I bet that master motivator ray ray keeps him thin. “If you get fat, I’ll kill you. I’ve done it before.” Hell cody’s fat enough to qualify for double homicide. Hmmm. wonder where I heard that before. Cody is so over weighted.

5. everyfootballfan says: May 28, 2012 8:30 PM

At no time have the Ravens complaint about Mt Cody weigh, we love him here in Baltimore.

6. donny1rodriguez says: May 28, 2012 8:51 PM

For those not acquainted with Terrence Cody feel free to watch on youtube his hit (more of an engulfing) on Jamal Charles in the playoffs

7. brianjoates says: May 28, 2012 9:02 PM

The Central Maryland Mountains… Cody & McKinnie.

8. realnflmaster says: May 28, 2012 9:22 PM

Too fat and lazy to play for the JETS.

9. ravenator says: May 28, 2012 9:23 PM

Cody is a beast and for all of you who dogged him and the Ravens for selecting him, you can now officially eat your words. Cody has exemplified the motto Play Like A Raven. He’s a stud and will be a force to be reckon with this year paired with a healthy Ngata. I know, I know, you could only wish he was on your team, it’s ok. Just know, the Ravens are the best in the league at drafting talent. A team with one of the most pro bowl players drafted since inception, thank you very much Ozzie!!! Keep on hating, haters.

10. frankdatank23 says: May 28, 2012 9:42 PM

Blocking him must be like trying to push a Sperm whale off the beach.
    ————————————————————–

he must be about as nimble as a beached whale too !

11. pierrepoint1 says: May 28, 2012 10:03 PM

6’4″ & 349lbs? Can you say fat tub of lard?

He’s at least 80lbs overweight and headed for a heart attack.

He needs to take up a new occupation, sumo wrestler.

12. hsbox27 says: May 28, 2012 10:07 PM

all that “talent” and the gayvens haven’t won a big game since 2000….keep on choking. Thats the gayven way.

13. marshmont says: May 28, 2012 10:33 PM

cody is a guy who saw the players around him and decided to be all he could be. haloti is a great example of a player who had a rep of taking plays off in college. he came to the ravens and changed. good teams do that to incoming players.

14. randallflagg52 says: May 28, 2012 11:32 PM

I love how every hates on Terrance Cody, despite the fact he is a very good player. He showed up out of shape at the combine and his first offseason in Baltimore, but since then he has been working hard to keep his weight in check. Look at how he played against the #1 (I’m pretty sure) rushing attack in that playoff game in KC a couple of years ago, they shut Jamaal Charles down, no doubt about it. He continued to do his job this year, nothing flashy, but he’s a 3-4 nose tackle so what do you expect.

At any rate Cody may be a mountain of a man, but excluding his first year in the NFL he never looked like a tub of lard. He looks to be in much better shape than Casey Hampton, yet Steeler fans will still comment here on his weight.

15. ppdoc13 says: May 28, 2012 11:35 PM

Low second round pick. All you Ozzie doubters come on over and tell us how bad that selection was. Granted, Kindle broke his head but even Ozzie can’t control for that. His first year he was an overweight rookie who showed some moments that made you think he was going to be a real player. His second year was an improvement in all facets of his game. I’m figuring he is an all-pro by his 4th year.

@flaccounibrow -realizing that you probably won’t understand what I am about to write, I will just say this. You are the perfect example of why there are laws regarding consanguinity. Let’s see if you know how to use a dictionary. Or perhaps you can figure out Wikipedia. Miscreant.

16. dickjagger says: May 29, 2012 12:01 AM

Unleash the Beast!

17. Max says: May 29, 2012 12:29 AM

Very positive news to hear about Mount Cody, keep it up young man, keep working with your nutritionist and your strength coaches, take care of your body and you will have a long career ahead of you. If you dont play with knee support, you should consider playing with it for preventive reasons. Especially important for guys your size.

18. randallflagg52 says: May 29, 2012 12:33 AM

backindasaddle says:
    May 28, 2012 8:06 PM
    Blocking him must be like trying to push a Sperm whale off the beach.

===================================

That’s the purpose of a 3-4 nose tackle. Cody is very good at his job.

19. Deb says: May 29, 2012 1:53 AM

randallflagg52 says:
    ————————————————-
    This Steelers fan will always love Mt. Cody because he played for the Crimson Tide. But I post a lot of respect for Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and other talented Ravens players. Meanwhile, many of your fans post nonstop garbage on our threads–and you’re one of the worst. Although I’ve called for our players to be suspended when they screwed up and defended your team and slammed my own when it was warranted, a supposedly female Ravens fan called me a wh*re today just for defending our coach. No one on our threads treats your women fans like that. And of the 15 comments here so far, I see one Steeler fan ragging on Cody’s weight. So please give the victim routine a rest.

20. hsbox27 says: May 29, 2012 7:19 AM

ppdoc13 says: May 28, 2012 11:35 PM

——————————————————
    if only Ray-ray knew the laws about murder…..what a Miscreant (adjective 1. depraved, villainous, or base. ) <what you really meant to say right?

Do type smart when you clearly lack tact. Let’s see if you know how to use a dictionary. Or perhaps you can figure out Wikipedia.

21. dawsonleery says: May 29, 2012 7:23 AM

I like Cody. Could be a great player for awhile.

22. randallflagg52 says: May 29, 2012 10:47 PM

Deb says:
    May 29, 2012 1:53 AM
    randallflagg52 says:
    ————————————————-

===================================

*facepalm…

Deb your dual standards and weird passive agressive posts are really quite annoying. You show up on near every single Ravens post and comment on it with snide remarks at anyone you consider beneath you, which is almost every one. It’s really childish.

No surprise you are an Alabama fan in addition to the Steelers. Let me guess you’re a Yankee’s fan too? Most likely from some place that isn’t Alabama, Penn state or NY?

23. sudz28 says: May 30, 2012 7:09 AM

@Deb, you’re wasting your time. The entire Ravens fanbase is made up of one huge victim routine. “Another city stole our team, it’s not fair! Oh wait, we can steal one of our own? Done.”
    “Whhaaaaa, the media doesn’t give us respect!”
    “Whhaaaaa, the refs are all against us!”
    “Whhaaaaa, we were only x minutes away from the Super Bowl” (heard multiple times)
    “Whhaaaaa, we didn’t lose that game, we just beat ourselves”

I don’t know that I’ve ever heard a Ratbird fan ever just man up and say “Yeah, it sucks, but we got beat by a better team today”. There’s always an excuse, they’re always a victim.

24. randallflagg52 says: May 30, 2012 6:30 PM

sudz28 says:
    May 30, 2012 7:09 AM
    “Whhaaaaa, the media doesn’t give us respect!”
    “Whhaaaaa, the refs are all against us!”
    “Whhaaaaa, we didn’t lose that game, we just beat ourselves”

===================================

Did you not see Woodley’s comments earlier in the week? Or Steeler fan’s comments after both Baltimore games this year? You guys are just as bad or even worse.

25. backindasaddle says: May 30, 2012 8:33 PM

hsbox27 says:
    May 29, 2012 7:19 AM
    ppdoc13 says: May 28, 2012 11:35 PM

——————————————————

_______________________________________________________

@hsbox27

Perhaps you can look up "pompous ass" in Wikipedia.