Dolphins will be on Hard Knocks

Miami Dolphins Minicamp Getty Images

After several teams declined to appear and many questions about why any team would want to do it, we finally know who will appear on this summer’s installment of Hard Knocks: The Miami Dolphins.

The Dolphins announced today that they have agreed to appear on the HBO series that chronicles one NFL team’s training camp. The show will air weekly, beginning on Tuesday, August 7.

From a business perspective, the move makes sense: As local interest in the team has waned, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has made clear that he wants his team to generate more buzz. The team that appears on Hard Knocks is always one of the most-discussed teams in the NFL in August.

And from a storytelling perspective, the producers of Hard Knocks will find plenty of storylines to explore, such as new coach Joe Philbin running a training camp for the first time and a three-man quarterback competition featuring incumbent Matt Moore, first-round draft pick Ryan Tannehill and free agent signing David Garrard all in the mix.

The biggest question, however, is whether the Dolphins are interesting enough for many football fans to care about their training camp. Coming off three straight losing seasons, the Dolphins aren’t one of the league’s marquee teams. That makes this announcement something of a surprise.

Permalink 90 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
90 Responses to “Dolphins will be on Hard Knocks”
  1. absolutsaints says: May 29, 2012 1:04 PM

And no one will watch…

2. gbrown23 says: May 29, 2012 1:05 PM

I’ll watch it regardless of whose on it. It’s great TV

3. sterilizecromartie says: May 29, 2012 1:06 PM

Meh. It’s an OK choice. I think we are all spoiled since the NYJ Hard Knocks was so good. But, this was a good choice overall. There are teams out there with much more compelling storylines and teams will much less compelling storylines.

I’ll still watch because, after all, it’s still football.

4. joetoronto says: May 29, 2012 1:06 PM

The Phins squeak one out over the Jags.

Yeah?

5. threeptplay says: May 29, 2012 1:07 PM

A QB battle involving Matt Moore, Ryan Tannehill and David Garrard?

Highlighting a team that has 3 straight losing seasons?

Oh boy, I cant wait. *eyeroll*

6. knucklebucket says: May 29, 2012 1:07 PM

Why any team would want to do that show is beyond me. But as a Pats fan I will enjoy it. Just seems like a typical Dolphins organizations move….team seems to be headed in the right direction…..then do something as silly as this. Good luck.

7. phillyphever says: May 29, 2012 1:07 PM

Considering how much of a circus it is down in Miami, interest isn’t gonna be a problem. Bold prediction: Ross is gonna be the star of the show.

8. thegreatgabbert says: May 29, 2012 1:08 PM

The dynamic personalities of Joe Philbin and Ryan Tannehill will carry the show. Not. What a ludicrous choice.

9. kattykathy says: May 29, 2012 1:08 PM

Oh Boy!
    Now we can see some old irrelevent celebrity “owners” make special appearances.
    Barnum and Bailey will have the freak show in one endzone, with Jimmy Buffet, J-Lo, and others tap dancing in the other.
    Stephen Ross will be at mid field announcing Vanilla Ice as the newest part owner, and the team will be getting ready for the season in the parking lot

10. sorozco says: May 29, 2012 1:09 PM

I was hoping for a more interesting team (popular or not).

11. backindasaddle says: May 29, 2012 1:11 PM

I’m thinking the Dolphins were the only team that said they’d do it.

12. naterysavy says: May 29, 2012 1:11 PM

I hope it’s just 45 minutes each week following the exploits of Mrs. Tannenhill. Now that’s a program I’d watch.

13. astrosfan75956 says: May 29, 2012 1:11 PM

I suppose I will watch, not because it’s the dolphins, but because it’s football.

14. waldoampere says: May 29, 2012 1:11 PM

No need for the HBO execs to write Emmy acceptance speeches this year.

15. yeslock says: May 29, 2012 1:12 PM

I’m a big fan of this show and didn’t really care what team would be featured. I’m glad HBO was able to get a team to do the show.

16. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 29, 2012 1:12 PM

Great. More of Karlos Dansby stupid promises.

17. nfloracle says: May 29, 2012 1:12 PM

I wanted the Jets but that was too much to hope for, so I’ll settle for Miami. With the QB situation there and Ross’ driving thirst for positive publicity, this season of Hard Knocks will probably be worth watching. Actually, just seeing the inner workings of pre-season makes the show regardless of the team worth watching for me.

With that said, Rex and Cromartie and the Jets set a pretty high bar in terms of being really watchable!

18. clawledge says: May 29, 2012 1:12 PM

Could be worse.

19. flapjackdaddy says: May 29, 2012 1:13 PM

Tell me I matter!

Ross attention grab.

20. wvuandsteelers says: May 29, 2012 1:13 PM

Maybe Reggie can start screwing Kim Kardashian again and E! can do a spin off. Reggie Knocks Kim or something like that.

21. backindasaddle says: May 29, 2012 1:13 PM

Ross is all about the 3 Ring Circus Show anyway…. this makes sense.

22. humpofdc says: May 29, 2012 1:13 PM

I would only watch if the J-E-T-S were on it. Only for the laughs…..

23. Jon DiPietro says: May 29, 2012 1:14 PM

If you film it, they will watch.

It’s the NFL. You could make a documentary about the towel boy for the Arizona Cardinals and it would beat a playoff game from any other sport in the ratings. Won’t be as popular as the Jets would have, but people will come.

24. ogarcz says: May 29, 2012 1:15 PM

The Wire 2

25. donramis says: May 29, 2012 1:15 PM

Smart move by the Phins as they seem to be getting their act together and the visibility that a show like this offers can only help to speed up a chance of perception by the public. will also hopefully sell some season tickets if the story lines are interesting enough.

26. wcdolphan says: May 29, 2012 1:15 PM

HARDEST KNOCKS!!!!!!!!!!

27. str8cashomie2 says: May 29, 2012 1:16 PM

last ditch effort to become likable by the execs/Ross…could work or backfire…

28. jc327 says: May 29, 2012 1:16 PM

Wow, never saw that coming. As a Fins fan, not sure I like the idea… but, I’ll certainly be watching.

29. wicky888 says: May 29, 2012 1:17 PM

Oh man! I’ve got to call Comcast and add HBO to my cable plan ….. not

30. thraiderskin says: May 29, 2012 1:17 PM

beggers can’t be choosers..?

31. uslim2nun says: May 29, 2012 1:17 PM

QB competion will be the only good thing….The fins are laim

32. 1twiztidmofo says: May 29, 2012 1:17 PM

HBO is smiling right now. They get to put JLO all over HBO while paying her 100% less than American Idol did….

Hard Knocks sponsored by Fiat and Landshark beer

33. beerbaron says: May 29, 2012 1:18 PM

I got excited for a second, then I remembered they traded Brandon Marshall.

But then I remembered what Tannehill’s wife looks like and got excited again.

34. swagjag says: May 29, 2012 1:18 PM

Good move by HBO. A clueless owner. An inept GM. A vocally frustrated fan base. People always stop to stare at trainwrecks.

35. kurtzimmer says: May 29, 2012 1:19 PM

Seriously? Wow, I guess HBO was more desperate than I thought.

36. niubears says: May 29, 2012 1:19 PM

Really? Jags would’ve been much more interesting with better story lines.

37. nflofficeadmin says: May 29, 2012 1:19 PM

Dolphins have a loyal fanbase across the country. It’s a decent move considering how many rejections HBO already received.

38. toegoat says: May 29, 2012 1:20 PM

Not too interested in the Fins but, can’t lie, I’m still going to watch it.

39. kane337 says: May 29, 2012 1:20 PM

Awesome. The Dolphins are a very interesting team. I will definitely subscribe to HBO for a month to watch.

40. Gordon says: May 29, 2012 1:20 PM

I think you underestimate the pure interest in football people have (as evidenced by the number of people who frequent this site). Even crappy games get solid ratings.

I think the problem this year was just getting a team to say “yes” not whether anyone would watch. Hell, I watched every episode of the the Herm Edwards Chiefs Hard Knocks season. The most intriguing storyline about that team involved Carl Peterson farting in his office…but I was still glued to the set.

41. armchairqb says: May 29, 2012 1:21 PM

Better than Jacksonville by a long shot.

42. billhicks666 says: May 29, 2012 1:22 PM

The Dolphins’ owner is a publicity fiend — what else should we have expected?

43. crindal3000 says: May 29, 2012 1:25 PM

hard knocks is a great show. too bad so many teams decline.

44. markeyh says: May 29, 2012 1:26 PM

Wow! I am surprised but happy to see them get the exposure..

45. ninerdynasty says: May 29, 2012 1:26 PM

They are made for each other.. no one else wants them.

46. fiveaces20000 says: May 29, 2012 1:28 PM

Finally, someone finally didn’t turn down the dolphins.

47. realitypolice says: May 29, 2012 1:29 PM

Worrying what team is on Hard Knocks is like worrying too much about who is on Monday Night Football.

Yeah, it’s better if marquee teams are involved, but who’s not going to watch?

I’d watch Hard Knocks if it showcased the Saskatchewan Rough Riders.

48. 1972wasalongtimeago says: May 29, 2012 1:30 PM

Nothing good can come from this. I seriously hate Stephen Ross.

49. purplegreenandgold says: May 29, 2012 1:31 PM

From a business perspective, the move makes sense: As local interest in the team has waned, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has made clear that he wants his team to generate more “buzz”.
    ==================================
    get some great players with the last name starting with the letter “B”. not a phin phan but loved the name “killer bees”.

50. thegreatgabbert says: May 29, 2012 1:33 PM

I could fall asleep looking at a still picture of Joe Philbin. Much less watching him on film.

51. the3taveren says: May 29, 2012 1:35 PM

I was thinking about keeping HBO after the True Blood season ends so I could watch Hard Knocks. Well don’t need to do that now!

People in Miami don’t care about the Dolphins, why should I?

Well I guess that is $30 back in my pocket. I can drop HBO in August and pick it back up in April when Game of Thrones comes back on.

Maybe next year there will be a team worth watching on Hard Knock!

52. peepeetoucher says: May 29, 2012 1:38 PM

I hope they show players doing that awesome FINS UP gang sign they try to get people to do at the games. JLo would be so proud. Good for you dolphin fans, you guys deserve this after the offseason you had to endure. Enjoy Fins Up.

53. bullcharger says: May 29, 2012 1:41 PM

realitypolice says:May 29, 2012 1:29 PM

Yeah, it’s better if marquee teams are involved, but who’s not going to watch?

I’d watch Hard Knocks if it showcased the Saskatchewan Rough Riders.

———

The Rough Riders would probably beat the Dolphins right now.

54. kane337 says: May 29, 2012 1:43 PM

Jacksonville has already been on Hard Knocks. They were the 3rd season back in 2003.

55. kane337 says: May 29, 2012 1:44 PM

This will give the Dolphins the chance to change the perception of the organization. I look forward to watching the show and see how Tannehill is doing. I think the whole country will be impressed with Philbin.

56. vanmorrissey says: May 29, 2012 1:45 PM

Don’t know, don’t care. Anyone who watches this or preseason football really needs to get a life. Both are meaningless.

57. brenenostler says: May 29, 2012 1:45 PM

At this point, I’m just glad someone was willing to do the show.

58. Patskrieg dot com says: May 29, 2012 1:49 PM

Finally, an HBO comedy worthy of complimenting Curb Your Enthusiasm.

59. agelardi says: May 29, 2012 1:50 PM

Damn, this almost makes me wish we still had Channing Crowder.

60. jayman35 says: May 29, 2012 1:51 PM

Steven Ross flew all the way to New York on his private jet to pitch his team to the producers of Hard Knocks, only to once again be left at the alter by another team. Hahahahaha

61. ksmith013 says: May 29, 2012 1:53 PM

That is just depressing. This will be the first year I don’t watch it. But what can you do, nobody wanted to do the show, im guessing MIA was the only team that said yes.

62. maximusprime107 says: May 29, 2012 1:54 PM

I don’t care what teams are on Hard Knocks, it’s fascinating to get a behind the scenes look in at an NFL team

63. wmthomas3 says: May 29, 2012 1:57 PM

So they turn down the Jags for the Dolphins, and at the very least the Jags have a good defense and one top offensive player compared to the Dolphins who have none. I love football and will watch but seriously this is the only team that has a roster that’s worse than the Jags.

64. sledgehorn says: May 29, 2012 1:58 PM

If I ran HBO I would literally pay the Dolphins to sign T.O. They need a receiver, and it makes great television… I don’t see how it could go wrong…

65. richkotitte says: May 29, 2012 1:58 PM

First the Jags lose out to the Jets in the Tebow sweepstakes, now this! Have fun with that joetoronto you putz-it doesn’t even mattermy–Queue the tarp and LA move banter, meathead.

Truth is what REALLY matters is the Jags punked the Rams with their trade with the Bucs to get Blackmon…..

66. wmthomas3 says: May 29, 2012 2:00 PM

They’re going to feature the camp battle- Crockett vs. Tubbs.

67. getadealdonealready says: May 29, 2012 2:01 PM

I think 24/7 is a better version of the show. Plus the NHL has it right the teams that are in the Winter Classic have to do it to be eligible. The NFL will most likely have to go to some sort of version of this, maybe as the build up to their Thanksgiving evening game, and feature both the teams leading up to the game.

68. FinFan68 says: May 29, 2012 2:04 PM

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    The Dolphins are finally steering the ship in the right direction. This just adds to the sense of desperation and celebrity craving nonsense exhibited by Ross. I love the team but why air dirty laundry? Philbin has enough to worry about without having a film crew to chronicle everything. The show’s producers will skew the editing towards whatever perception they think will sell. If it were the Patriots, the show would lean towards depicting a disciplined team that is all about winning. The storyline for the Dolphins will likely exploit the current perception (fair or unfair) of a team in disarray and grasping at straws of relevance while bumbling through the preseason with a competence level resembling the bad news bears. Fair or not, accurate or not, it will be edited to sell and that could mean depicting the Dolphins as a “joke”.

69. joemontanawasthegreatest says: May 29, 2012 2:05 PM

Jeff Ireland will be the bad guy twirling his mustache and tying j lo to the train tracks

70. igotgamenj says: May 29, 2012 2:05 PM

As a diehard Miami Fan I love this

71. bubblefive says: May 29, 2012 2:10 PM

Truth be told, I enjoyed the seasons when Hard Knocks carried the Chiefs and Bengals.

Neither of those teams were coming off of recent success or had high-profile prima donna athletes or coaches. (Well, I stand corrected – Ocho, B. Coyle’s wife, and Herm Edwards).

In some ways, the watchability of this season will be testimony to the branding of the NFL product, overall. I’m betting the ratings will do well.

72. thetooloftools says: May 29, 2012 2:19 PM

I will place a fire extinguisher next to the tv when I watch this.

73. itsmebobd says: May 29, 2012 2:22 PM

I became a fan of hard knocks when my bengals were on it. It was great to watch, it gave us an inside perspective of what its like for those guys. I still remember the fullback battle between Jeremi Johnson, Fui Vakapuna and Chris pressley. I remember when chris pressley (our current fb) hit a guy so hard in practice he bent the face mask, and it had to be replaced. After that however he was cut, and fui got the job, only to prove nothing and stay injured. Chris caught on with the bucs and browns, before being waived, and came back to our bengals, the one we all wanted to be our FB. Ahhh memories. Sucks I dont have HBO or I would watch it!

74. mistrezzrachael says: May 29, 2012 2:42 PM

I am really hoping that America can get some insight on how Ross lines up those hot halftime shows.

Or, this will be a great time for Ireland to show off his genius mind for personnel.

LOL…this reeks of Ross getting desperate to sell tickets…not just to opposing fans. God Dolphin stadium more of a home game for jets/Patriots than anyone.

75. realnflmaster says: May 29, 2012 2:44 PM

Lol who would watch the preparations of a 4th place team?

76. jimthebuilder27 says: May 29, 2012 2:44 PM

Considering that Matt Moore is a terrible QB, I wonder if people will care to watch the QB competition.

77. kelmcc says: May 29, 2012 2:47 PM

Reminscent of the KC Chiefs year on Hard Knocks…. since the Dolphins have Zero star power on that team, I am positive we can look to some off-the-field cameo appearances by Tannehill’s girlfriend. Similar to when they had to focus on Brodie Croyle’s cute wife to get eyeballs.

78. schmitty2 says: May 29, 2012 2:58 PM

Should be interesting. This might be the first time I’ve watched anything involving the Dolphins since I last watched Ace Ventura

79. thestewman3 says: May 29, 2012 3:00 PM

One of the problems that the Phins has over the years is that they lack access. This year the organization has been trying to reach out to their fans and I like this move.

haters are going to hate, so I’m not worried about that, but the true dolphin fan knows that they have done something like this a few years ago locally efore the Parcells and was well recieved.

I like what Ross is trying to do and hope to see my team that I have followed all my life on national tv.

80. jessethegreat says: May 29, 2012 3:25 PM

Fins fans, expect to see some major growth by your young quarterbacks this summer. Coach Philbin is going to have them young guys prepared for the regular season.

81. ampats says: May 29, 2012 3:28 PM

realnflmaster asks,

lol who would watch the preparations of a 4th place team?

Which is the reason why the Jets were not chosen for Hard Knocks.

82. rodgers419 says: May 29, 2012 3:29 PM

The Miami Dolphins? HBO must have been rejected by at least 29 other teams.

83. devinmr711 says: May 29, 2012 3:45 PM

I don’t understand how these teams who constantly have most of their games blacked out don’t agree to be on Hard Knocks.

84. duramaxmike says: May 29, 2012 3:47 PM

Since I moved out of south Florida and onto the Panhandle it has been impossible to see my fins on T.V. This is a great move for the Dolphin organization. It has been a rough road since “Dan the Man” retired in ’99. Fin-atics are just hopeful and excited finally that there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks Dan for all my childhood memories. You have not been forgotten.

85. poolboy87 says: May 29, 2012 4:08 PM

Match made in heaven.

Nobody wants to play for the Dolphins, and nobody wants their team to be on Hard Knocks.

They’re perfect for each other!

86. Biggie says: May 29, 2012 9:12 PM

Yeah, there’s absolutely no danger of people NOT watching this. Hard Knocks is fascinating TV, no matter what team is the focus, no matter how bad that team is or might be.

87. ishudbgm says: May 30, 2012 2:47 AM

As a fins fan im not too thrilled about this but as a football fan this is still better than the Colts, Jags, Browns, Rams or Seahawks. Would of killed for either the Skins (RGIII), Lions, Broncos, or 49ers.

Guess this was the only way for us to end up on PrimeTime tv this year.

88. bertcampaneris says: May 30, 2012 10:37 AM

You know what…I’m OK w/this. MIA still holds some cache in this league, being a big market team w/solid history. That said I’d have loved to see teams like the Colts, Browns or Redskins. All w/shiny new QBs, popular teams w/rabid fan bases….would’ve been fun to look in on.

At least it’s not the Ravens and all their insufferable blowhards.

89. ksm31311 says: May 31, 2012 3:26 AM

Not sure why so many of you are bagging on this; getting to see these knuckleheads try to speak English is worth the price of admission…

90. restoretheroar1 says: Jun 3, 2012 12:11 AM

Better than Jags on Hard Knocks they were only team that wanted to be on it other than Phfins. I will not watch as I don’t have HBO.