J.J. Watt aims to be dominant, go to Super Bowl

Wild Card Playoffs - Cincinnati Bengals v Houston Texans Getty Images

With defensive tackle Nick Fairley finding himself in multiple jackpots this offseason, Texans fans are happier than ever that their favorite team picked defensive end J.J. Watt instead.

If Watt has his way, they’ll be even happier.

“Last year I wanted to be a contributor and just help us win games and now I want to be dominant and establish myself as a top-tier defensive end,” Watt said Tuesday, via comments distributed by the team.

So what are his overall goals?  “Super Bowl,” Watt said.  “That’s it.”

Watt showed flashes of dominance as a rookie.  After generating 5.5 sacks during the regular season, Watt produced 3.5 in two postseason games, along with an interception he returned 29 yards for a touchdown against the Bengals in the wild-card round.

“I did some good things at the end of the year but I want to put a whole year together,” Watt said.  “I started off a little rusty last year, so this year I want to come out from the gate and show everybody what I’m about and show everybody what this defense is about.”

Watt and his teammates showed plenty in 2011.  If Watt becomes what he hopes to become in 2012, Watt very well may reach his objective.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “J.J. Watt aims to be dominant, go to Super Bowl”
  1. fxws says: May 29, 2012 3:30 PM

Beast.

2. thegreatgabbert says: May 29, 2012 3:32 PM

Ready KillerWatt.

3. txtuff says: May 29, 2012 3:36 PM

J. J. “Mega” Watt is a freaking beast!! Everybody here in H-Town loves this guy! He is non stop when he is out there on the football field, and unlike a lot of rookies that hit the rookie wall late in the season he only got better. With a full off season this year and some more guys added in the draft again this year, there is little doubt this D will be great for years to come.

4. galvestontexans says: May 29, 2012 3:42 PM

I got the honor of meeting and spending a few hours this young man about a week ago. I must say he is a true class act. Makes me proud of what this Houston team is building.

5. texanfan53 says: May 29, 2012 3:49 PM

And to think….I wanted Farley before JJ. I am so glad I was wrong!

JJ Watt…The Milkman cometh!

6. texansdude says: May 29, 2012 3:49 PM

Gotta be third, or fourth, greatest draft choice in the team’s short history. A pleasure to have on our side.

7. pooflingingmonkey says: May 29, 2012 4:00 PM

In the playoff game last year, Watt made the Bengals O-Line look like a bunch of Pop Warner types. One of the more dominating performances I’ve seen in a loooooong time.

The Texans have a winner with this kid.

8. fernjag says: May 29, 2012 4:20 PM

I must admit that when the Texans picked Watt, I said WHAT! I really wanted Nick Fairly. Boy, was I wrong. I really like Watt. He turned it on there toward the end of the season. I hope he builds on that!

9. rushbacker says: May 29, 2012 5:36 PM

I told people before the draft that this kid was a monster. DLs with his combination of power, exposiveness and motor are just rare. He’s going to be looked at as one of the league’s best defensive players for the next decade.

10. buckemtp says: May 29, 2012 8:52 PM

Bulls on parade!

11. oldbloodstegosaurus says: May 30, 2012 1:49 AM

This guy reminds me a lot of Justin Smith. As a Niner fan that’s a huge compliment. Great pick by Houston.

12. mushroomcloudlayin says: May 30, 2012 8:51 AM

I remember watching him dominate Ohio State during his senior season at Wisconsin (which NEVER happens from the UW DL against the OSU OL). The buddy I was sitting with in the stands turned to me and said “can we just skip the rest of the season and put him on the Packers now?”

Houston, I’m deeply envious (although between him, Owen Daniels and Garrett Graham the Texans are my de facto AFC team).