Packers employee pawns her Super Bowl ring

Donald Driver AP

A pawn shop in Grand Chute, Wisconsin, recently sold an authentic Packers Super Bowl XLV ring, acquired from a team employee.

Dennis Brucks, a Packers fan who’s been following the team since the days of Vince Lombardi and says he was in the stands for the Ice Bowl in 1967, purchased the ring from Pawn America in Grand Chute, Wisconsin.

The ring was sold by a team employee named Sarah Pace, who is listed on the team’s website as an employee of the team’s facilities and fields department. When the Packers won the Super Bowl last year, they gave Super Bowl rings to all their employees, not just players and coaches. Apparently Pace would have preferred a bonus in her paycheck.

The 71-year-old Brucks told the News-Record that a Super Bowl ring was the perfect piece of memorabilia for a lifelong fan.

Really, the price was right as opposed to what those typically sell for,” he said. “And I like the small size. I could have bought Fuzzy Thurston’s ring, but it was three times the money and it’s just way too gaudy, too big.”

Although Brucks isn’t saying exactly how much he spent, the Super Bowl II ring earned by former Packer Fred “Fuzzy” Thurston sold for $50,788, so if Brucks paid one-third of that, he spent about $17,000. He seems to think that was a small price to pay.

“When you want something relating to the Packers, how can you get any better than this?” Brucks said. “Whenever I want to, I’ll put it on.”

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Packers employee pawns her Super Bowl ring”
  1. Staff says: May 29, 2012 9:21 PM

Whatever floats your boat….

2. mkepackfan says: May 29, 2012 9:22 PM

Local news reports says it went for about $9k

Fuzzy’s ring is way too gaudy compared to the SB45 ring? Whatever dude, those first two rings have like 1 diamond in the first SB ring and 3 diamonds in the 2nd

3. juanquixote says: May 29, 2012 9:34 PM

From what I understand usually the team employees rings aren’t as decked out as the ones the players and coaches get.

4. themonster49 says: May 29, 2012 9:42 PM

Well she is gonna have a rough next couple of years at work, if she stays there.

I’d comment on the guy buying the ring but I don’t wear other people’s jerseys so that should sum my opinion up.

5. dwntwnbadboy19 says: May 29, 2012 9:46 PM

Must be nice! I would do the same thing, even if it went for 2k, i would sell it and take a vacation, after this season Packers are gonna mean nothing anyway, I can see Vikings finishing ahead of them. NfC North will end: Bears #1, Lions #2, and Packers and Vikings duking it out for the basement spot.

6. jgat12 says: May 29, 2012 9:50 PM

“When you want something relating to the Packers, how can you get any better than this?” Brucks said.”

What about buying 17,000.00 worth of that Packers ownership stock?

7. thegreatgabbert says: May 29, 2012 10:14 PM

Pawnshop owner Eddie “Buzzard” Bouchard is hardly surprised by the items that come though his shop any longer. “When folks get t’ drinkin’, y’now…”, he shrugged grimly, mentioning having had the original copy of the State Constitution, Nitshke’s front teeth, Lombardi’s overcoat, and Curly Lambeau’s building plans, at various times.

8. larrybrown43 says: May 29, 2012 10:17 PM

Things. That’s all it is. A dumb things that will get tucked into a sock drawer. So many basements and attics are filled with things.

If it brings both parties joy that’s great.

9. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 29, 2012 10:27 PM

Pawn shops are highway robbery. He may have bought the ring for 17K or 9K (as a commenter said). But, she probably got 1K or 2k. They always give you far less than you bought it for and sell it for more.

She would have been better off selling it on eBay. Plus, depending on how low on the totem pole the ring probably didn’t have any diamonds on it. They don’t give out the same rings as the players have to everybody. Especially, to the “Atrium Operations Lead.” That’s nowhere near a executive or a coach.

10. tfbuckfutter says: May 29, 2012 10:32 PM

I was going to make a comment about how he must have skinny girl fingers….

Then I remembered that the woman in question is from Wisconsin.

11. rollteal says: May 29, 2012 10:49 PM

I think she will be left off the list for rings if the packers win another one while she is still around.

12. jimmysee says: May 29, 2012 10:49 PM

dwntwnbadboy19 says:
    May 29, 2012 9:46 PM

————————————————————–

Make that Vikings bet in Vegas — they’ll give you great odds, and happily take your $$$$.

13. duece5 says: May 29, 2012 11:02 PM

Does she not know how much non-stock stock she could have bought???!!!!!

Nice employee…….

14. vincentbojackson says: May 29, 2012 11:11 PM

Girl got some bad advice regarding how to remain employed in the industry.

The amount of money she received pales in comparison to the amount of respect she surely has lost with her peers.

15. numba1recx19 says: May 29, 2012 11:13 PM

That would be sick to jut put on a SB ring

16. packfaninchitown says: May 29, 2012 11:14 PM

No worries Sarah, you’ll get another one this year.

17. larryboodry says: May 29, 2012 11:27 PM

One, eBay woulda definitely been smarter, and two, the gal’s name shoulda never been made public.

18. mjkelly77 says: May 29, 2012 11:36 PM

So what have we learned from this? Maybe that the Packers aren’t as classy as they want everyone to think they are. Maybe they don’t take care of their employees like they should.
    Shameful.

19. mjkelly77 says: May 29, 2012 11:38 PM

dwntwnbadboy19 says:May 29, 2012 9:46 PM

_________________

20. buckybadger says: May 29, 2012 11:39 PM

My [insert 2 maybe 3 great] uncle Pete Tinsley got a watch for his championships in ’39 and ’44. I wonder if the family still has them. Have a friend who is a collector/dealer of memorabilia that has one from the ’44 championship year that he purchased. You can buy it on his site [won't post spam here].

As for this lady, it was given to her she can do with it what she likes. Sounds like it found a home that will appreciate it. Things like this are only as valuable as the person who treasures it. I would keep mine but nothing wrong if you need the money or simply don’t care and would like to buys something else.

21. mkepackfan says: May 29, 2012 11:45 PM

@ larryboodry….what’s the big deal? The players/coaches/personnel all have their names engraved in it so her name was going to come out anyway…plus this story is like two weeks old so everyone in WI learned her name weeks ago.

22. fievel03 says: May 30, 2012 12:10 AM

It’s just too bad that she is possibly in a situation where she felt the need to sell the ring in the first place.

23. tokyosandblaster says: May 30, 2012 12:57 AM

mjkelly77 says:
    May 29, 2012 11:36 PM
    Shameful.

—-

What a toolbox.

People live outside their means all the time. Athletes take out loans. This has nothing to do with the Packers not paying enough, but more to do with the woman in question. For all you know, her family could have been killed and she didn’t have enough for five funerals.

Shameful? Your jealousy of the best franchise in sports. Your team will never be as good as the Packers.

24. thetooloftools says: May 30, 2012 1:02 AM

I like the idea that the [I think] the Chicago White Sox did a few years ago where they gave plastic replica rings of their World Series rings away on opening day.
    That is just tremendous. BRILLIANT.

25. piemasteruk says: May 30, 2012 3:00 AM

Fair enough, she may not really value memorabilia, or she may hate her employer or whatever. But by trading the ring in to a pawnbroker of all places, what she has actually just done is highlight to said employer that she may have a gambling/drink/drug problem and needed money quickly.

26. outlawshark says: May 30, 2012 3:08 AM

tfbuckfutter says:May 29, 2012 10:32 PM

I was going to make a comment about how he must have skinny girl fingers….

Then I remembered that the woman in question is from Wisconsin.
    ————————————

So is Miss America.

27. mattbydlon says: May 30, 2012 3:46 AM

“I got a buddy who knows all about pawned Super Bowl rings…”

- Rick Harrison

28. Max says: May 30, 2012 4:42 AM

A ring doesn’t pay rent.

29. larryboodry says: May 30, 2012 6:32 AM

@mkepackfan…Do they engrave even the names of office personnel? If so, that still doesn’t mean that her name should have gone public, as this could cause her grief at work. Doesn’t matter when the story came out.

30. larryboodry says: May 30, 2012 6:55 AM

@mjkelly77:

You said – “Another delusional Bears fan, in his mother’s basement drooling on his keyboard.”

I’m a Bears fan who respects the rivalry between us and the Pack, and have never badmouthed either your team, or especially its fans, in such a mean-spirited way. You don’t know me, and that’s fine…But in 2000 I moved back home to care for my elderly mom, until her death in ’04. (So maybe I am more sensitive than most to comments like yours.)

Personally, I have more issues with how the Lions and Vikings run their teams, GB is actually a class organization, it’s a shame not all of you fans uphold that standard…I’m sure that most do…And for what it’s worth, I do not hesitate to call out some of my fellow Bears fans when they say or post dumb things that make the rest of us look bad.

Just sayin.’

31. ravensos says: May 30, 2012 8:02 AM

how long before packers sell worthless superbowl ring replicas to fans just to generate more cash (ie the stock certificates)?

32. larryboodry says: May 30, 2012 8:16 AM

@mjkelly77…Just paid closer attention to one of your other posts on here, you evidently aren’t a Packers fan either…This means you are probably a Lions or Vikes fan…My apologies…Not to you, but to the Packers fans I mistakenly associated you with.

33. iluvbears says: May 30, 2012 8:25 AM

The real reason she sold the ring is because she is a fan of the Vikings.

34. clintonportisheadd says: May 30, 2012 11:01 AM

The rings were given to Packer employees and it’s no ones business what she did with hers. I am sure she had to pay tax on it (as income) and if she chose to sell then so be it.

Having said that, the Packers should have given the employee’s a choice. Take the ring (with a caveat that they have to sell it back to the team for an agreed upon price if they chose to at a later date) OR just give them the cash equivalent.

For all we know this woman may be be going thru a divorce, her hubby may be unemployed, or their may be an illness in the family.

35. tonyc920 says: May 30, 2012 4:08 PM

@larryboodry
    I’ve lived in GB my entire 59 years. George Halas was great man who helped the Packers through some very tough times. I love going to the Packers Bears games here at Lambeau. The Chicago fans just love this place and are for the most part very welcomed in our small town on game weekends and tailgating on game day. I wish I could say the same about going to Chicago’s Soldier Field, spit on, cursed at, physical confrontations. Very sad !

36. larryboodry says: May 30, 2012 9:19 PM

I’ll be honest with you, tonyc920, in almost 40 years (I’m 51 now) of rooting for Da Bears, I’ve never attended a game live, I prefer to watch on TV. Drunk, obnoxious fans would ruin the experience for me, it’s sad that so many people think buying a ticket gives them the right to be abusive blowhards. I am sorry that your experiences at Soldier Field were so terrible, I hope you know that most Chicagoans are not so damned ignorant.

Tony, you sound like I guy I’d like, if we ever met at a bar we could down a few brewskis and have a friendly debate on which team is better…In the end we’re all just people, respecting each other should be more important than what teams we happen to root for.

Thanks for your post, sorry again that you couldn’t have enjoyed your visits to Chi-town more.

37. ybo1 says: Jun 1, 2012 11:56 AM

Being a Vikings fan, I think this is a nice thing for the Packers to do for thier employees, and in saying that once given to someone it’s their business to do with it as they please. It was a gift, so I don’t see the problem with her selling it if she needed the money or just didn’t care if she kept it. It’s like any company giving you say a watch for your 30 years service and you sell it… no difference. The ones who don’t like it are the frantic packer fans that most of us can’t stand. The ones who don’t have a problem with it are the ones who wish they could have it! There must be many others who have sold thier rings since pawn shops have a lot of them.