Samuel creates stir in first practice with Falcons

Samuel AP

In an effort to improve their secondary, the Atlanta Falcons shipped merely a seventh-round pick to the Eagles for cornerback Asante Samuel.  So far, it looks like the Falcons pulled off the kind of steal for which the Eagles had become notorious.

According to Dave Campbell of the Associated Press, Samuel made a real impression in the Falcons’ first full-squad practice of the 2012 offseason.

“Asante I thought did about the same thing he has done to me for four years,” quarterback Matt Ryan said. “He made a good pick.  He’s going to make us better.  Specifically I think he’ll make myself and our wide receivers better going against him and Dunta [Robinson] and [Brent] Grimes every day as corners.  It’s going to be good work for us.”

The plan is to move Robinson to the slot, with Grimes and Samuel on the outside.  “I have a preference,” Samuel said.  “I want to be on the left side.  I’m a left corner but I’ll do anything I can to help the team.  This is a right-handed league and I want to be where the ball is coming.”

Samuel played both sides on Tuesday, and he was eager to show off.  “Can I get some action out here?” Samuel yelled at one point while on the practice field.  “Am I out here for my health?  I want to show the people what I can do!”

After intercepting a Ryan pass, Samuel pointed to his jersey and said, “Deuce Deuce right here.”

Asked after practice about his desire to get “some action,” Samuel was brash.  “And I got some right?” Samuel said.  “That’s what you’ve got to do, put the bull’s-eye on your shoulder and step up to the plate.  That’s how you get better.”

Robinson thinks Samuel’s energy may have surprised some members of the offense.

“It’s a lot of fun,” Robinson said. “It makes practice fun.  All the talk, all the yelling.  I can tell the offensive guys weren’t very used to it.  They didn’t know how to take it.  But it was a lot of fun.

“You look across the board and it’s myself, it’s Brent and it’s Asante and you’re like wow.  If we do what we’re supposed to do, we can be a very dangerous secondary.”

The secondary recently has been dangerous, to the Falcons.  For the team to truly contend in the NFC, that needs to change.

Permalink 70 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
70 Responses to “Samuel creates stir in first practice with Falcons”
  1. how887 says: May 29, 2012 8:50 PM

I will miss his Pick 6’s in Philly. Not his tackling though.

2. meandjuliojonesdownbytheschoolyard says: May 29, 2012 8:54 PM

I can’t believe the Bucs didn’t make a play for him. Couldn’t beat a freakin seventh rounder?!!! Come on Dominik!!

3. jacksaysfu says: May 29, 2012 8:57 PM

As a Eagles fan I loved watching Asante practice . He always made it fun . This dude can definitely be a play maker , but his shoulder missed tackles will drive Falcon fans crazy . Good with the bad !

4. bathroombenlovemachine says: May 29, 2012 8:59 PM

It would be awesome if Asante Samuel suffers a career ending injury against his old team the Eagles.
    Eagles = Super Bowl 47 Champions. Bet on it bitches.

5. pacificnw7722 says: May 29, 2012 9:00 PM

“That’s what you’ve got to do, put the bull’s-eye on your shoulder and step up to the plate. That’s how you get better.”

Brees wants an explanation…….

6. gumbogumbo says: May 29, 2012 9:00 PM

Asante did a great job in Philly and will surely do a great job in Atlanta as well. He has big play making abilities and swag to match. Only criticism is that his tackling is ineffective in certain situations.

7. clarkisgod says: May 29, 2012 9:03 PM

You can be mouthy if you can back it up. A 7th was a steal of a deal here!

8. peelmybatwings says: May 29, 2012 9:04 PM

He’ll make an impression on the turf in the Georgia Dome the first time he tries to tackle anybody and gets steamrolled. The next time Asante tries to wrap up a ball carrier will be the first.

9. samoanjungle says: May 29, 2012 9:05 PM

Yes, it was a “mere 7th rounder” but also a whole lot of cheddar

10. mufasaaa says: May 29, 2012 9:06 PM

He does improve the talent in the secondary, but I don’t think talent was ever the biggest problem there (Grimes is as good a cover corner as there is, we’ve got 2 solid safeties and another CB who was very good before we got him so should be able to get good again). The single biggest improvement we could have made this offseason in regards to improving the secondary was to replace Brian Van Gorder with a more aggressive DC, which we did when we replaced him with Mike Nolan. No amount of talent could look good in Van Gorder’s old soft-zone system, and I fully expect our secondary to bloom in a better, more aggressive system.

11. nfceastfan says: May 29, 2012 9:08 PM

The Patriots didn’t want him. The Eagles are paying him to leave. Something’s not right here. Good luck Atlanta, it’s your turn.

12. jucam1 says: May 29, 2012 9:08 PM

I can’t wait till Falcon fans see him miss or shy away from every tackle…. You’ll be begging for the 7th round pick when his gambling on picks and missed tackles get you losses…

13. justrunit11 says: May 29, 2012 9:08 PM

Next year should be goodbye to Dunta

14. weekendatberniemadoffs says: May 29, 2012 9:09 PM

samuels, get ready to be burnt by steve smith.

15. phillymike5959 says: May 29, 2012 9:10 PM

Yeah yeah..it’s all fun and games till the first Matador whiff tackle, the first half hearted almost break his neck headfirst dive into a RB knees, the first pointing fingers and blaming the coaches or scheme etc, the first time he ever refers to himself ever again as a ‘Business Entity’, the first time he ever clutches up in the 4th man to man against the Nicks, Fitzgeralds of the world…I think I’m fine this year with Nnamdi and DRC playing tough press man to man with our pass rush..Good luck ATL

16. jus10jonez says: May 29, 2012 9:11 PM

I hope Duece Duece brings swagger to my DirtyBirds. We got the talent, now we just need that attitude that we’ve been missing since the OG Dirty Bird

17. cromags says: May 29, 2012 9:11 PM

Let me guess, no tackling today.

18. jmc000 says: May 29, 2012 9:17 PM

Really?

19. harbaughshandshake says: May 29, 2012 9:23 PM

One of the best cover two corners of his era, just too much of a riverboat gambler………

20. philsphan34 says: May 29, 2012 9:28 PM

Of course Samuel looks good in a helmet and shorts… Watch his effort tackling when teams run right and you’ll realize why he was available for a 7th round pick

21. profootballwalk says: May 29, 2012 9:28 PM

Wait until they see him put his hands on his hips when it’s time to make a tackle. Dude should have been a bullfighter.

22. nje22 says: May 29, 2012 9:29 PM

He’ll be great for them right up until he drops an easy pick in the Super Bowl and loses the game for them-he’s good at that too-

23. doe22us says: May 29, 2012 9:31 PM

Picking off passes has never been a problem for Asante, its the tackling. Anyhow he picked off Matt Ryan big deal lol. Yeah and he is a me first kinda selfish guy.

24. hookem6903 says: May 29, 2012 9:33 PM

Too bad he can’t catch INT’s in the superbowl.

25. jacobslatter says: May 29, 2012 9:35 PM

Without a pass rush even having The Flash at corner won’t make a difference. The Falcons could use The Incredible Hulk at defensive tackle & the mighty Thor at defensive end opposite John Abraham. Mike Nolan will iron things out though with what they got.

26. nyyjetsknicks says: May 29, 2012 9:35 PM

Breaking news: Newly acquired players wows people at practice. We’ll have more at 11:00.

27. o0omorriso0o says: May 29, 2012 9:39 PM

Yeah he thinks he is so great until a ball carrier is coming his way. He is all about himself and can only play one way (off coverage on one side). Dont get me wrong he is great at that one trick, but thats the only trick he has. But for a 7th round pick the Falcons did the right thing, its a good move for them. But the Eagles will hardly miss him

28. leo133074 says: May 29, 2012 9:43 PM

I remember when asante singlehandedly lost the SB for the patriots when a sure int. went right through his hands with two minutes left

29. themonster49 says: May 29, 2012 9:44 PM

Did McNabb create a stir when he joined the Redskins via the Eagles?

It’s the new ‘Classic Eagles.’

30. tombradyallday says: May 29, 2012 9:54 PM

samuel has two rings wit new england and close to 50 career interceptions, hes no slouch

31. carolinethedog says: May 29, 2012 9:54 PM

As a Bear fan living around Atlanta, I will pull for the Falcons a bit as a second team (NEVER against daBears.)

But, no matter how amazing their regular season record is each year. This team ALWAYS chokes in the playoffs.

I guess playing the eventual SuperBowl champs in their first playoff game the last two years is a tough matchup though.

32. uscgiant says: May 29, 2012 9:58 PM

Samuel sure is doing some tall talking.

33. drew05 says: May 29, 2012 10:01 PM

Lol…

Wait till everybody puts pads on and ball carriers are headed his way…he’ll make Michael Turner look real good.

Go Eagles!

34. dawglb says: May 29, 2012 10:05 PM

He’ll be awesome! Just don’t expect him to tackle. He will be one of the few NFLers who will retire without ever having a concussion. Oh, he’ll be awesome if you don’t mind a few self-serving, team disrupting comments made to the media every few weeks. Enjoy him.

35. lightcleric says: May 29, 2012 10:05 PM

Maybe combined they can tackle Jimmy Graham.

36. francheyes says: May 29, 2012 10:11 PM

Play the game and stop acting like a hood rat…damn, all that money and you still can’t act in a professional manner

37. cwmorga says: May 29, 2012 10:13 PM

Corners can’t be the centerpiece of a defense. The Falcons let the centerpiece of their D go in free agency (Lofton). Anyone think the Steelers, Niners, or Ravens corners are great? No, a great defense is built with the front 7 and maybe a bada$$ safety. The NFL has legislated the value of a lockdown corner out of the game (which Samuel isn’t anyway, and never was).

38. tombradyallday says: May 29, 2012 10:16 PM

samuel has 2 rings with new england close to 50 career interceptions, hes no slouch

39. ilovefoolsball says: May 29, 2012 10:19 PM

I think the point we’re all missing here is that he picked off Matt Ryan.
    He picked off someone in practice who has never won a playoff game.

Bravo

40. bluentos says: May 29, 2012 10:19 PM

That is one expensive slot corner in Dunta.

41. jwayne111 says: May 29, 2012 10:19 PM

As a falcons fan I like to hear this…this kind of veteran can make the rest of secondary better…I wonder what his locker room influence will be(?)
    Not sure what his history is. Positive roll model we would hope and not diva veteran(?)

42. bigwalt2990 says: May 29, 2012 10:20 PM

It’s a little early for this type of prediction. The bullets arent flying, and who knows how hell play with his team mates. I bet Nnamdi had some good practices too.

43. randallflagg52 says: May 29, 2012 10:37 PM

Looks like I’m a little late to this party but I just had to comment on an article about Asante “El Matador” Samuel.

44. randallflagg52 says: May 29, 2012 10:38 PM

cwmorga says:
    May 29, 2012 10:13 PM

————————————————–

Lardarius Webb and the former Raven Chris McAllister say hello.

45. besdayz says: May 29, 2012 10:41 PM

Matt Ryan is a slightly above average QB. How do we know these werent’ bad throws? Guy engineered 2 pts in his last outing….wait, he didnt’ even get that, it was a safety….

46. saints4evah says: May 29, 2012 10:42 PM

Wow. The NFC South is going to be a dog fight this year. The Bucs and Falcons are gearing up. My Saints are under the gun this year…wow..gonna be a stellar year of football.
    That DB squad in Atlanta is going to have Drew on his toes. Good moves.

47. goodellsadouche says: May 29, 2012 10:43 PM

can anyone here actually remember the last time this guy made a play??

48. sicklife1 says: May 29, 2012 10:44 PM

Listen, as a Giants fan, this guy tortured Eli for a couple of years as an Eagle. I don’t care how many times he was burned, it wasn’t against the Gmen. He was a thorn in Eli’s side & I’m glad he’s out of the NFC east.

49. Buttsnake says: May 29, 2012 10:45 PM

Can he play QB?
    Assante Ice?

50. dogluverssuck says: May 29, 2012 10:54 PM

What steal? The Eagles were dumping payroll. They didn’t let Asante go because of performance issues. They let him go because they have 2 younger more physical corners that fit the press coverage scheme they wanted last season.

Asante is a zone corner. It still won’t help with the ZERO points in the playoffs :)

51. robf2010 says: May 29, 2012 10:57 PM

“Maybe combined they can tackle Jimmy Graham.”

I kinda liked that defense they called that put 5’10 Brent Grimes on 6’7 Jimmy Graham in the endzone. More of that, please.

52. packersbound says: May 29, 2012 11:07 PM

Robinson and Samuel are too old to play because my Nona’ legs are still faster than their chicken legs. Grimes is too tiny boy to cover the receivers!

53. phillybirds says: May 29, 2012 11:16 PM

i’ll always appreciate the things asante did in philadelphia and i’ll continue to watch him during his time in atlanta. he isnt the best tackler but he always went for a hard hit and never shyed away except for one game when he was injured. jump on the bandwagon and say he cant tackle. it isnt the truth.

54. bayoubauer says: May 29, 2012 11:26 PM

Deuce Deuce: Spanish for “no habla espantackle”

55. xxwhodatxx says: May 29, 2012 11:56 PM

pacificnw7722 says:
    May 29, 2012 9:00 PM

Brees wants an explanation…….

——

I think it’ll be Samuels who will want the explanation when Brees is torching his a$$ all over the field.

56. dannythebisforbeast says: May 29, 2012 11:58 PM

I like the left side but I’ll do whatever the team wants…. The microphone didn’t pick up..except play the right side,slot,press coverage and I don’t usually tackle other than that whatever you ask. He’s done the day he loses a step. One trick pony ..great one trick

57. thetooloftools says: May 30, 2012 12:55 AM

Yea.. Deuce, Deuce, fart, wipe, flush.
    Save your smack for the podium after a Super Bowl win because right now your just talking ~hit.

58. randallflagg52 says: May 30, 2012 1:17 AM

Asante “El Matador” Samuel!

59. warrenpeacephotography says: May 30, 2012 1:51 AM

bathroombenlovemachine and the 16 psychopaths who “thumbs upped” the comment:

How can you wish to see another human being injured, in pain? That is sickening. Most people develop the ability to feel empathy early on in elementary school, the exceptions being psychopaths, who tend to turture animals or become serial killers. You disgust me, you are not human in any important respect, and I hope you are put in jail BEFORE you can reproduce and pass along your defective genetics.

60. christopher525 says: May 30, 2012 3:08 AM

Let Newton swing a pass out to Tolbert on his side. See how much he likes having that beefy bastard rolling his way.

61. leo133074 says: May 30, 2012 7:22 AM

Single-handedly lost SB for patriots. Yay.

62. franktherat96 says: May 30, 2012 7:50 AM

As a Saints fan I am happy to see that Melted Ice is throwing picks. Seems about right. If they don’t want it they might not score 2 Points again in the playoffs.

63. strongsidebacker says: May 30, 2012 8:28 AM

Biggest problem in that secondary is Dunta “can’t cover a telephone pole” Robinson. He’s overpaid and used to be overrated.

64. captainwisdom8888 says: May 30, 2012 8:34 AM

Asante isn’t going to do all the little things for you, and he won’t be putting in any dirty work. He’s always reminded me of a sub .200 home-run hitter who seemingly strikes out all day only to show up for a homerun play every now and then. He may have 10 INTs by season’s end but he doesn’t show up on every play.

Now remind yourself there was a BIG reason the Eagles swapped this guy for a 7th round pick….THEY WERE CONTENT WITH SIMPLY DROPPING HIM. Not a good sign ATL…

65. shlort says: May 30, 2012 8:44 AM

Definately over-hyped. Samuel is an alright cornerback, but hardly a steal. The Eagles were happy to be rid of him. Why would Andy part company with such greatness? Becayse he isnt great. He is average with an above average mouth.

66. sdffa11 says: May 30, 2012 10:22 AM

“I’m a left corner but I’ll do anything I can to help the team.”

If asante had that attitude in philly, he would still be an eagle. he destroyed us last year by being selfish and wouldnt move from him left corner spot.

which is why nnamdi spent parts of the year all over the field trying to find himself.

good riddance. falcons fans will be clamoring for his release when he starts whiffing on tackles.

67. greymares says: May 30, 2012 11:15 AM

The Eagles got a 7th rounder. How much can you get for a corner thats not good enough to make your team ?

68. sprizzle2182 says: May 30, 2012 12:36 PM

Eagles = Super Bowl 47 Champions. Bet on it bitches.

counting and hoping for injuries to other teams players shows ur lack of faith in ur own team to win it all…keep wishing for lucky breaks!! we’re going to focus on being the best team in the league next season and we’ll see who comes out on top!!!

69. bubs9 says: May 30, 2012 4:03 PM

I’m an Eagle fan and I really didn’t care whether or not he could tackle. He was a great cover guy and intercepted a lot passes. I know that it was more of a money thing and the Birds have a few D-backs, but a 7th round draft pick for his talent should set him off this year. I hope he has a good seaon with Atlanta

70. phillyrick22 says: May 30, 2012 10:34 PM

Good ridance! He didnt want to take a pay cut to stay with the birds so the hell with him! Cant wait to see DJax burn him all day and Shady steam roll him!