Brandon Jacobs trying to slim down to 260 pounds

Super Bowl Football AP

For most NFL running backs, 260 pounds would be grotesquely overweight. But Brandon Jacobs is not built like most NFL running backs.

The 6-foot-4 Jacobs is listed at 264 pounds, and he told the San Jose Mercury News that he got as heavy as 285 pounds at times with the Giants. But now that he’s with the 49ers, he has a new fitness goal: He wants to get below 260 pounds for the first time in his NFL career.

Jacobs said he’s about 266 or 267 pounds right now and that he believes that over the next few months he can get lighter and faster than he’s ever been as a pro, without losing any strength.

“I’m training 10 times harder than I’ve ever trained,” Jacobs said. “I’m trying to get my body back to where it used to be, get strength in my legs, because that was the weak point in me the last couple years.”

Jacobs had back-to-back seasons of more than 1,000 yards and 5.0 yards a carry in 2007 and 2008, but his production has dropped since then, and the Giants didn’t show much interest in re-signing him when he became a free agent this year. Jacobs seems to have taken that as a sign that he needs to get into better shape, and a slimmer Jacobs could be a big presence on the 49ers’ offense.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
24 Responses to “Brandon Jacobs trying to slim down to 260 pounds”
  1. djstat says: May 30, 2012 12:51 PM

The Giants paid me after 2008 and I stopped working as hard

2. Kaz says: May 30, 2012 1:01 PM

285 for a rb is just crazy. I don’t care what anyone says… If he admits to getting up to 285 during the season, it’s quite possible he got up to 300 during the offseasons… Really, that’s quite amazing for a rb.

3. Kaz says: May 30, 2012 1:02 PM

He should add years to his career and make a move to DE, DT or LB…

4. cooklynn17 says: May 30, 2012 1:06 PM

Too bad his mouth won’t slim down.

He should just shut-up and continue to look ugly.

5. ripster65 says: May 30, 2012 1:08 PM

“The Giants paid me after 2008 and I stopped working as hard”

Hopefully he’s learned a lesson.

6. frankenderek says: May 30, 2012 1:12 PM

Shouldn’t we get a Best Shape of My Life count going like Craig did for the MLB?

7. joeytorontosucks says: May 30, 2012 1:15 PM

Cause if he doesn’t get better there is Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter, and more that will fill up the RB position.

8. darthsaint says: May 30, 2012 1:24 PM

Is it just me or did the 49ers sign multiple question marks this off-season. I guess it is risk reward. But taking what other teams define as a “headache” into your locker room, doesn’t seem entirely smart if I was a fan of that team. Not every guy is a high character player. I understand that. But bringing Jacobs and Moss in a the same time…will be interesting to see how that pans out. They will look like idiots or geniuses, one of the two.

9. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 30, 2012 1:30 PM

He ran like he was 285 the past year or so, also SMH. He would do this NOW. He had incentive to get in better shape before this upcoming year.

Oh well, not upset with him. Good luck, B.

10. 49erstim says: May 30, 2012 1:58 PM

@darthsaint…. Agreed. Gotta add Manningham to that mix as well considering he likes to run his mouth from time to time. This season has the potential to end in no playoffs or SB trophy. A lot of volatile elements.

11. mikeinsanfran says: May 30, 2012 1:58 PM

Darthsaint – Did you pay attention to what the 49ers did last year? Signed “question marks” in Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner, and Braylon Edwards. They got career (and pro bowl) years out of Whitner and Rogers and they cut Braylon with little to no side effects. Baalke and Harbaugh know what they are doing.

12. pierrepoint1 says: May 30, 2012 2:14 PM

I’m amazed at the people who think 285lbs for a 6’4″ running back is too much, but don’t have a problem with a nose tackle that is the same height and weighs 330lbs.

Anyone that is 6’4″ and weighs more than 260lbs is overweight. Anyone over 300lbs is obese.

13. michiganhockey11 says: May 30, 2012 2:20 PM

How heavy was Bettis at his heaviest in Pitt?

14. tcostant says: May 30, 2012 2:28 PM

How long before Randy Moss says, this is like the Jacobs I saw in 2008?

15. bubba9er says: May 30, 2012 2:38 PM

All I know is that the RB stable has some very able hosses already. If he doesn’t figure out something drastic to make himself indispensible, he will be running the ball for the Raiders come week 4.

He is going to have to play special teams to keep a spot on this loaded squad. (or OL)

16. dtm1088 says: May 30, 2012 4:02 PM

“the Giants didn’t show much interest in re-signing him when he became a free agent this year.”

-Keep in mind, he became a Free Agent because he was cut.

17. illbillgiantz4lif says: May 30, 2012 4:52 PM

So Jake is admitting to being 20lbs overweight during the regular season?

No love for the “tip-toe burglar.”

18. bigdan78 says: May 30, 2012 4:58 PM

Signing Question marks paid off last year. The good thing about this team is they have leaders on this team who will not put up with the B.S. Alex will not put up with the locker room B.S. Alex Smith now has a huge chip on his shoulder. It will be fun to watch an angry Alex Smith play with weapons to throw to. I bet you won’t see that pre-game paddy cake he used to do with Harbaugh before he took the field. He will be motivated enough to shove it down the coaching staffs throat and a big F.U. to the Fans at Candlestick. Hell I wanted Payton too. 2012 is going to be a fun year for 9er fans.

19. starvingardens says: May 30, 2012 6:58 PM

After losing the 6 or 7 pounds, he will be a lot quicker.

He’ll be able to eat 2 burgers, an order of fries, and a strawberry milkshake in about 4.4

20. backindasaddle says: May 30, 2012 7:17 PM

“I’m training 10 times harder than I’ve ever trained,” Jacobs said.
    _______________________________________________________

So in other words: You didn’t have the character or work ethic to put forth the sort of effort that you should have been while you were with the Giants. So now I’m guessing this new found work ethic is because you want to “show them” because they didn’t resign you. Jerk.

21. seeptermean says: May 30, 2012 7:56 PM

He may be training 10x harder but only runs 40% as hard as he should. This is why he didn’t get resigned.

22. neagle64 says: May 30, 2012 8:07 PM

Jacobs hasn’t played like a big back since his break through years in 2007 and 2008 , might as slim down to see if it helps with his current style of running

23. ajpurp says: May 31, 2012 12:33 AM

Don’t know about smith snapping back like that, in case you dont recall the lack of support and confidence was a big part in him being all but terrible until H showed up. His disposition this season could very well go either way, angry and possessed like the elite passers, or sulking and noodle armed like Sanchez and, well, Alex Smith before this past season. Time will tell, but I wouldn’t be so confident in seeing a supremely gifted or confident QB on the Niners next season. Especially since he “sulked” back to SF.

24. kingcarlbanks says: May 31, 2012 1:01 AM

We’ll miss ya BJ, wish you would have shown better work ethic in NY.