Skip to content

Concussion suit from former Eagles cites Kolb, Bradley return to play

eagles Getty Images

Yet another concussion lawsuit has been filed, per the Courier-Post.  And while this one has only a trio of named plaintiffs — former Eagles living in New Jersey — the 59-page class action filed also on behalf of all former players living in New Jersey makes specific reference to Week One of the 2010 season, when a pair of former Eagles suffered concussions and returned to play.

Quarterback Kevin Kolb and linebacker Stewart Bradley both made it back into a game against the Packers despite being concussions.  And while the new lawsuit from Michael Haddix, 50, Greg Brown, 55, and Lawrence Watkins, 56, doesn’t purport to sue on behalf of Kolb or Bradley or any other current player, it’s hard not to wonder when a current player will roll the dice and join the concussion lawsuit parade, or when a former player will pursue a class action on behalf of men who are still playing the game.

Lawyers who have filed these lawsuits have avoided attempting to sue on behalf of current players, presumably because it will be much easier for the NFL to defeat any such claim by arguing that the grievance procedures of the Collective Bargaining Agreement provide the only avenue for relief.  But the NFL has that same argument as to every former player who has sued; it’s odd that not a single lawyer who has filed one of these many cases hasn’t at least tried to tap in to the 1,700-plus men who still play the game.

Of course, suing on behalf of current players also would highlight the decision not to sue the NFLPA, a strategic omission that every lawyer who has filed these lawsuits has made, for a variety of reasons previously explained.

Still, it’s hard not to think it’s only a matter of time before the concussion lawsuit trend crosses over to current players.  With the NFL and NFLPA currently getting along slightly worse than feral cats and junkyard dogs, it’s hard not to think that the NFLPA isn’t at least pondering possibilities for quietly cajoling such an attack — or even coming up with a way around the CBA to launch a legal challenge of its own.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Concussion suit from former Eagles cites Kolb, Bradley return to play”
  1. joetoronto says: May 30, 2012 7:18 AM

    What about McCoy?

    That was insane, him going back into the game.

  2. eaglesw00t says: May 30, 2012 7:33 AM

    joetoronto says:
    May 30, 2012 7:18 AM
    What about McCoy?

    That was insane, him going back into the game

    ———————–

    Are you talking about Colt, or Lesean?

  3. bosssixty says: May 30, 2012 7:45 AM

    seeing bradley stumble around, only to come back into the game was pretty bad too,

  4. drevilstolemymojito says: May 30, 2012 7:59 AM

    And with all of these lawsuits flying about, who wouldn’t want to be the “independent neurologist” that will be in charge determining if a player was concussed?

  5. roceagles says: May 30, 2012 8:18 AM

    What about when Vick had “dirt in his eye”?

  6. FinFan68 says: May 30, 2012 9:07 AM

    If the union must approve every change involving players then how can they possibly remain unscathed when it comes to the money-grab concussion lawsuits? Are they not “partners” with the NFL as they claimed ad nauseum last year? The fact that the NFLPA has not been named simply shows the players’ own culpability on the issue.

    Players get injured every week and most of them go out of their way to hide it so they can get back on the field. While the teams were wrong to put concussed players back on the field, the players are not innocent victims in this.

  7. eagleswin says: May 30, 2012 9:49 AM

    I still think the concussion lawsuits are going to blow up in the players faces spectacularly. You can’t try to extort money from the NFL without bringing the NFLPA into it. Once you bring the NFLPA into it you highlight how resistant the NFLPA and current players are to changes for their safety.

    DeMaurice is to busy trying to get his own windfall of extortion money. The players will have to wait in line.

  8. dead456 says: May 30, 2012 10:30 AM

    the number of players entering in to this fray over concussions will at some point begin to be detrimental to their case. The number of bodies in the pending lawsuits is begining to get large enough, that you would be able make the statement that the thing they are fighting over was caused by the same men that are now suing. Such as yes there are concussions but they were caused by the guys bringing the lawsuits.

    I’m not a lawyer but it doesn’t make sense to me to allow the same individual that caused the damage to now claim that he’s a victim. Could be wrong but hey it’s seems straight forward. Then again Shoot all the lawyers

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!