Jacksonville withdraws lease default letter sent to Jaguars

Jacksonville Jaguars NFL football team owner Shahid Khan speaks during an interview with Reuters at EverBank Field in Jacksonville Reuters

In a letter to Jacksonville mayor Alvin Brown, Khan said he was “shocked and perplexed” to receive a letter from the city accusing the team of being in default and announcing the start of procedures to terminate their lease. Khan said it was impossible to cure the alleged default because they were in full compliance with the lease.

The city appears to agree. The Florida Times-Union reports that they have withdrawn the charge, which came about because of the hiring of a facility manager, and called it a “misunderstanding” based on an amendment to the original agreement. Brown also sent a letter to Khan on Wednesday.

“Let me be crystal clear: The city of Jacksonville has absolutely no intention whatsoever of terminating its lease with the Jacksonville Jaguars.”

Whatever crisis might have been brewing seems to have been averted in Jacksonville.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Jacksonville withdraws lease default letter sent to Jaguars”
  1. johnyjags says: May 30, 2012 7:03 PM

Atta boy Khan, listen to the richest man in town.

2. pooflingingmonkey says: May 30, 2012 7:04 PM

The Jacksonville Jaguars!

3. snyper94z28 says: May 30, 2012 7:05 PM

they need to terminate the lease on the 1800′s style mustache.

4. Robert says: May 30, 2012 7:09 PM

Florida Jaguars sounds better.

5. jakek2 says: May 30, 2012 7:10 PM

Of course it renounced the “letter”. The city NEVER wrote one because it doesn’t want to drive away the only source of revenue in that entire region.

6. oldcracker says: May 30, 2012 7:12 PM

Who makes up the Jacksonville City Council and Mayor?

What idiots would let the Jags out of their lease with LA lurking in the shadows???

7. wmthomas3 says: May 30, 2012 7:14 PM

Alvin Brown needs to get it together.

8. cowboysfaninpatriotsland says: May 30, 2012 7:14 PM

Is it my imagination or does Shad look a little like the Good Reverand Al Sharpton? As a rookie owner, will he get a crazy hair cut for Training Camp.

9. afunny0 says: May 30, 2012 7:15 PM

This is good news. Also can we just stop the Jags moving to LA stuff. They sold more tickets then the Dolphins and Bucs last year, so are they moving?

10. patriotsdefense says: May 30, 2012 7:16 PM

Dear Jacksonville,

Don’t kick sand in the NFL’s face and expect them to build sand castles. Who knew amateur hour in north Florida was in Jacksonville and not Tallahassee this week…

11. chubbsmcgee says: May 30, 2012 7:23 PM

Looks like the folks at Jacksonville City Hall got a taste of the mustache ride Shad Kahn was about to take them on and [wisely] decided they didn’t want none of that!

You will find more wannabe big shots working in municipal government than anywhere else, I swear.

12. dirtysouthironmen says: May 30, 2012 7:23 PM

The people most upset about this update are those who love to make “LA Jaguars” and “Welcome to LA” posts. Looks like their troll time will be found elsewhere! Go JAGS!

13. voyager6 says: May 30, 2012 7:26 PM

Seems if he wanted to move the team, he had a golden letter in his hands. How could Jacksonville go to court and claim the lease was still valid when the same city said the lease was in default?

14. maddenisfordorks says: May 30, 2012 7:27 PM

Ok jags fans, let’s gradually try and wipe the fecal matter from off our faces yet again.

15. ji536994 says: May 30, 2012 7:28 PM

Nothing but small town politicians trying to flex their muscle.

Don’t mess with the ‘stash.

16. thegreatgabbert says: May 30, 2012 7:34 PM

Some anonymous City Hall employee almost became the Jacksonville equivalent of Mrs. O’Leary’s cow.

17. granadafan says: May 30, 2012 7:41 PM

“Posted by Josh Alper on May 30, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT

The city of Jacksonville has moved quickly to put out the flames started by Jaguars owner Shad Khan on Wednesday.”
    =========================================

The flames started by Khan??? Excuse me, Jacksonville started this by sending out that letter falsely accusing the Jags of being in default. The reaction by Khan and the Jags was entirely normal to an inflammatory letter making outrageous accusations by an idiotic lawyer.

This “misunderstanding” could have been cleared up had the lawyer simply read the amendments or just picked up the phone instead of angering a business that brings in millions to the city.

18. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 30, 2012 7:50 PM

That guy looks like a Austin Powers villian.

19. returnofjags says: May 30, 2012 8:16 PM

I have no idea why I read this site. Its kinda like when you read the cover of a tabloid magazine at the grocery store. You know there is rarley any truth to it but you still read it.

I beleive PFT hired a bunch of interns from Star magazine and the National Inquirer to write their articles.

Once again PFT puts out another twisted, untruthful article about an NFL team and then has to retract it.

20. blackdonnelly says: May 30, 2012 8:18 PM

I am stunned……

Anytime I access an article about Jaguars ownership on this fine portal I always see the requisite Star Trek 2 reference – today I don’t see one. So, allow me – -

KHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!!!!!!!

That is all, I’m done now.

21. lasher1650 says: May 30, 2012 8:29 PM

Just another step in the inevitable process of removing the Jags from a town they should have never been placed in. Kahn will wait for Kroenke to move the Rams out of STL and Kahn will then take the Jags to STL. He has already hired former STL Cardinals team president Mark Lamping as a top executive . . . the same Mark Lamping who oversaw the development deal that led to the new Busch Stadium in STL before heading out of STL to build the Jets/Giants new facility in NY. You don’t hire a “stadium builder” in anticipation of staying put in JAX and that city certainly could not/would not justify a new facility given that they have to cover massive sections of the stadium to try and avoid local TV blackouts.

See you in St. Louis Shahid!

22. udtfrogmanvet says: May 30, 2012 8:41 PM

I’ve told y’all before…Shad Khan IS the new king of Jax. I have nooo problem with that. But somebody needs to send Cindy Laquidara the memo before she ruins this city.
    I believe Mayor Brown is doing a great job and this was all just a silly misunderstanding. But I have to admit…being a businessman, myself, I kinda liked how Shad bowed up before he even got his/our team to training camp!

23. leonbryte says: May 30, 2012 8:48 PM

Dear Jacksonville,

******************
    I believe it’s pronounced “Trailerhassee”

24. mtheparrothead says: May 30, 2012 8:50 PM

@blackdonnelly,

Any guess as to why that would be? You and 5,000 other people are brilliant/original.

25. chiefsandhawkeyes85 says: May 30, 2012 9:03 PM

I still don’t get the Jacksonville to L.A. thing. I mean I do, but Tampa Bay has way worse attendance than Jacksonville. I know they just got a new stadium and all but I think if any Florida team goes it should be Tampa Bay.

26. backindasaddle says: May 30, 2012 9:07 PM

KHAN!!!! This guy just looks as if he could out Ricardo, Ricardo Montalban himself. Excuse me Mr. Khan… but would you say: “Rich Corinthian Leather” just once please?

27. emma333 says: May 30, 2012 9:31 PM

This letter was apparently sent in error, since the Jaguars were in full compliance of the contract. Good for Khan for responding. The city is in the midst of cleanup from a tropical storm, and yet the answer by the mayor was swift. I do think the city attorney should explain herself for her actions. But thank you to the national media for noticing and posting so quickly, I could sense a collective joy over a possible problem with the lease in Jacksonville.

28. hannahsdaddy says: May 30, 2012 9:34 PM

I look at this guy and it reminds me of the last used car salesman who tried to swindle me. Why is this person involved in OUR league.

29. hannahsdaddy says: May 30, 2012 9:42 PM

I miss the days of “America First”

30. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: May 30, 2012 10:05 PM

It’s a me, Mario! I own-a da Jacksonville Jaguars witta my brudda Luigi!

31. slawsc says: May 30, 2012 10:36 PM

What has Alvin Brown done that is so great? Formed another comission to study downtown? Actually not spend money that would otherwise go unwasted? Or vetoed new furniture (gasp) for a new $350 million courthouse, to turn around get outvoted by the City Council. I had high hopes for him, but at this point, I think he ends up as another big dissapointment. This is bush league and an embarrassment under his watch. He is absolutely flexing his muscle and Shad Khan isn’t going to put up with his crap. This has his hands all over it. It is documented that Alvin Brown has connections to Global Spectrum, the other bidder in the Facilities contract. Brown thinks he has the power (ha), not with Shad Khan now in town.

32. themonster49 says: May 30, 2012 11:48 PM

I didn’t even read the article, yet. <-Fact.

HAHAHAHA HE LOOKS LIKE 1980s RICHARD LEWIS WITH A SWEET TWIRLY MUSTACHE!

Awesome. 3 thumbs up. Give me your thumb.

33. livxsiv says: May 31, 2012 12:01 AM

This guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite owners in the NFL.

He’s done, and said all the right things. He’s given back to the community, brought in players that people will actually want to see, and is working very hard to fix the problems in the front office.

That stache helps too…

34. anarchopurplism says: May 31, 2012 12:51 AM

False flag!

That sly stache was the 1st clue…..

35. thermalito says: May 31, 2012 1:33 AM

Move the Jaguars to San Antonio and the Rams back to Los Angeles where they belong. Two big problems for the league just fixed.

36. joetoronto says: May 31, 2012 5:05 AM

“In a May 30 letter to Mayor Alvin Brown, obtained by the Jacksonville Business Journal, Khan accuses the City of violating the lease agreement that allows the franchise to play at Everbank Field.”

Has anybody asked yet how the Jacksonville Business Journal “obtained” the letter from Khan to the city?

It seems obvious to me that Khan gave them the letter.

If so, why?

Think about it.

37. nationalmediacansuckit says: May 31, 2012 5:11 AM

@lasher1650

( X-Files theme music here)
    So let me understand you correctly. Khan is planning to move his team from Jax to a market that has worse attendance and support problem in St Louis than Jax, which supports it’s team pretty well give the lack of ineptitude this team has played for a decade and the misinformed media has led you sheep to believe the lack of support. Take off you aluminum foil hat and stop holding your breath my friend.

38. shackdelrio says: Jun 1, 2012 12:01 PM

“joetoronto says:
    May 31, 2012 5:05 AM

It seems obvious to me that Khan gave them the letter.

If so, why?

Think about it.”

The city attorney sent it to the media not Khan. Stop trying so hard.