Kordell Stewart gets closure, retires as a Steeler

kordell Getty Images

Kordell Stewart hasn’t played in the NFL in seven years and hasn’t played for the Steelers in ten years, but he was back in Pittsburgh today for a ceremony at which he retired as a Steeler.

I just wanted some closure with my NFL career,” Stewart said. “I wanted to finish it off as a Steeler. This is where I started. I talked to Mr. [Art] Rooney and he gave me the opportunity to finish it out as a Steeler. This means a lot. It lets me know how much they appreciate what I have done. I just want to tell Mr. Rooney and Dan Rooney the appreciation I have toward them and how they stuck by me during the tough times. When I talk about the Rooney family and how they do their business, they do it better than anybody.”

After a successful college career as a run-pass threat at Colorado, no one was quite sure what to make of Stewart’s pro prospects. But the Steelers selected him in the second round of the 1995 NFL draft and created a new position for him, a receiver/running back/quarterback/special teams hybrid, and all those slashes in the name of his position earned him the nickname Slash. After two years as Slash, the Steelers made Stewart their starting quarterback, and he had an up-and-down career, capable of occasional brilliance but never able to produce consistently as a passer.

The experiment with building the Steelers’ offense around Stewart wasn’t always successful, but he says it was always fun.

“It was phenomenal,” Stewart said. “From being ‘Slash,’ to going to the Super Bowl, getting my opportunity at quarterback, doing some outstanding things, to having some tough times which is a part of the game, and finishing strong when needed. It was an ebb and flow type of career I had. There were highs and lows, but perspective was set in to the point where if you understand anything in life that is what you will have, the ups and downs, understanding that I had a great time.”

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
48 Responses to “Kordell Stewart gets closure, retires as a Steeler”
  1. rickrock6661982 says: May 30, 2012 4:22 PM

He is just retiring now?

And I thought Donovan McNabb was bad..

2. steviemo says: May 30, 2012 4:24 PM

Who?

3. marvsleezy says: May 30, 2012 4:26 PM

Its all semantics – How can you retire with a team? They should all retire as free agents.

4. bettis3636 says: May 30, 2012 4:36 PM

The man changed the game… I’m a big fan… Now… I’m sure the following comments will be negative..! But SLASH did it first..!

5. kattykathy says: May 30, 2012 4:37 PM

They should retire Neil O’Donnell’s number. Best QB the team ever had.

6. deadunicorn says: May 30, 2012 4:42 PM

I heard that he has been hanging out with Jeff Garcia a lot.

7. lgbarn says: May 30, 2012 4:43 PM

I’m sure he cried, next he’ll write a book and come out of the closet.

8. heyzeus143 says: May 30, 2012 4:43 PM

overall good player, was a joy to watch most of the time

9. monsterscream says: May 30, 2012 4:45 PM

it will be a tearful ceremony no doubt…

10. contract says: May 30, 2012 4:45 PM

Steeler fans were brutal towards Kordell, and he still comes home.

11. nyyjetsknicks says: May 30, 2012 4:46 PM

Now he has to wait 5 more years to get into the HOF.

12. patriotsdefense says: May 30, 2012 4:50 PM

Tim Tebow = Kordell Stewart

Same player. Same skills.

13. tfbuckfutter says: May 30, 2012 4:51 PM

But what we’ll always remember is the tears.

14. derfshambeaux says: May 30, 2012 4:51 PM

Love ya Slash. Not your fault you had 3 different offensive coordinators in your first 3 years as a starter. Still remember your Hail Mary pass against Michigan in the Big House.

15. rmc1995 says: May 30, 2012 4:52 PM

@bettis
    How did he change the game? As a quarterback he wasn’t ground breaking. Randall Cunningham had already been doing things at QB Stewart was just trying to do. As Slash, he didn’t exactly set a trend. I don’t know of any other team that went with a slash position other than the Steelers, and that only lasted a couple years.

16. steviemo says: May 30, 2012 4:53 PM

Kordell Stewart: A one-hit wonder.

17. forthelove says: May 30, 2012 4:54 PM

Well… he’s no Tim Tebow.

18. brenenostler says: May 30, 2012 4:55 PM

Didn’t know he wasn’t even officially retired. Marvin Harrison needs to do the same thing.

19. pooflingingmonkey says: May 30, 2012 4:55 PM

Cliff Stoudt feels left out.

20. shotgunformation5wide says: May 30, 2012 5:09 PM

I know hindsight is 20/20 .. but looking back, technically team that gave him the most trouble was the Patriots, which was later discovered they had all kind of Steeler film. Consequently, Kordell/Steelers were cheated, … but both remained classy and didn’t mention it.

For that reason alone, … i think going with a new offense this year was a good idea.

Go Steelers!!!

21. jason49er says: May 30, 2012 5:09 PM

No mention of the Kordoza line?

22. micahernst says: May 30, 2012 5:11 PM

I sure hope the Steelers saved some room for Tommy Maddox

23. ravenator says: May 30, 2012 5:24 PM

Tim Tebow and Stewart have so much in common, one big difference though, is that Tebow beat up on these clowns in a playoff game.

24. Deb says: May 30, 2012 5:25 PM

The ’95 team holds a special place in my heart. It wasn’t easy for Kordell transitioning from Slash to starting QB. Steelers fans can be brutal, and as someone else mentioned, the revolving door of OCs didn’t help. How great that he can look back on his experiences in Pittsburgh with such a positive outlook. Not all the time between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger was wasted. Some of those guys played their hearts out. Thanks, Kordell. God bless.

25. wte1 says: May 30, 2012 5:29 PM

I remember prior to the AFC Championship Game against New England in 2001 Kordell said how much he was looking forward to going to going back home to New Orleans and playing in the Super Bowl.

How did that work out for him?

26. granadafan says: May 30, 2012 5:35 PM

27. sportsinhd says: May 30, 2012 5:38 PM

I would say the biggest difference between Tim Tebow and Kordell Stewart is that Slash went to a Super Bowl and led his team to two AFC Championship Games. Tebow has won a playoff game. Kordell was also faster than Tebow, and actually throws the ball better, I never thought I’d fine a quarterback more inaccurate than Slash, thanks Timmy. (If I needed a qb to run through a brick wall I’d certainly pick Tebow.)

As a Steeler fan, thanks for the excitement Kordell. It was all never as successful as we wanted it to be, but it was a lot of fun to watch.

28. steelers1981 says: May 30, 2012 5:51 PM

Thank you, Kordell. I enjoyed watching you play. Steeler fans expected a lot out of you and the team had a lot of success but Pittsburgh wants rings

29. janvanflac says: May 30, 2012 5:53 PM

It took 7 years?? Usually players do this the year the phone calls stop ringing or within 1-2 years, but 7?”

for those who are a bit slow on the uptake…having a ceremonial retirement with your team is not the same thing as filing retirement papers with the league office.

30. vasteelerfan says: May 30, 2012 5:54 PM

It seems significant that a player wants to retire with a certain team. It reflects on what it means to be a steeler. Also it once annoyed me reading comments from two frequent raven trolls but now I look forward to for my daily dose of humor . Little brothers and sisters always want to be like their older siblings.

31. quittsburghstoolers says: May 30, 2012 6:16 PM

Oh, brother… another Steeler diva.

I can’t wait to read all the Steeler homer fans well wishes:

“Good luck, Kordell… thanks for the memories!”

Also, the truly stupid:

“See you in 5 years in Canton!”… cuz every slob who wears a Squealer uniform should be in the Hall.

But I guess he was at least smart enough not to have sex with strangers in bathrooms so…

32. tformation says: May 30, 2012 6:41 PM

Man, was Slash a miserable QB as a Bear. Those were some lean, dark days for the Chicago Bears franchise. Not entirely Kordell’s fault granted, but his mediocrity certainly wasn’t helping matters much either…

33. pftstory says: May 30, 2012 6:48 PM

Yawn he retired as a Steeler….And in 2 months, if not 2 weeks, only 3 people will remember e retired “as a Steeler.”

Meanwhile…Sometime last year REM announced they were breaking up. I thought how can they be just now breaking up when no one knew they were still together and they had not done anything?

Can you really retire 7 years after you last played? I think everyone knew he was retired but him.

34. dryzzt23 says: May 30, 2012 7:01 PM

IF Kordell had switched to WR he would have had a HoF career.

But he was too hard-headed to make the switch

35. jimbroney says: May 30, 2012 7:18 PM

That’s make it easier for the bears to retire #10 as Peter Tom Willis jersey.

36. preston0036 says: May 30, 2012 7:41 PM

Props to Kordell weather he gets Credit or not he won a lot of Football games for us The Original Wild Cat Type” it was fun watching him

37. therealraiderduck says: May 30, 2012 7:42 PM

I thought he’d retired 5 or 6 years ago…

38. blackqbwhiterb says: May 30, 2012 8:53 PM

Somewhere Yancey Thigpen is reading these comments, and getting choked up….”That’s my Quarterback, man!”

39. tfbuckfutter says: May 30, 2012 8:54 PM

pftstory says: May 30, 2012 6:48 PM

——————————————

I thought they broke up when eyebrows got a brain tumor and baldy started DJing under the name Moby….

40. akezmoh says: May 30, 2012 9:01 PM

I LMFAO @ quittsburghstoolers

Who cares what you MR quittsburghstoolers has to say: May 30, 2012 6:16 PM

Blah blah blah, Im a broken hearted Ratbird fan and just cant stomach that your team dominates mine on a consistent basis (last year was a fluke and deep down in your wannabe a good team Ratbird heart, you know it). I will harp on Big Ben forever while forgetting that my precious Ray Lewis is a murderer *GASP*. See you in the playoffs….Whups, you didnt make it again? Oh darn.
    ————————–
    Oh, brother… another Steeler diva.
    I can’t wait to read all the Steeler homer fans well wishes:
    “Good luck, Kordell… thanks for the memories!”
    Also, the truly stupid:

41. steelerfan9598 says: May 30, 2012 10:13 PM

Better than Flacco.

42. ccvikes says: May 30, 2012 10:57 PM

IF Kordell had switched to WR he would have had a HoF career.

But he was too hard-headed to make the switch

I doubt he would have been in the HOF but, he certainly would have had a more relevant NFL career. He was a play maker @ WR and average or below @ QB.

43. rodgers419 says: May 30, 2012 11:09 PM

He might even had a ring if all the teams played by the rules.

Not mentioning any names.

…New England.

44. Deb says: May 30, 2012 11:32 PM

pftstory says:

Yawn he retired as a Steeler….
    ————————————————

It’s not rocket science. If you have no interest in the story, don’t click and don’t comment. But as always, we’re flattered that you’re obsessed with our team.

45. quittsburghstoolers says: May 31, 2012 5:51 AM

akezmoh says:May 30, 2012 9:01 PM

I LMFAO @ quittsburghstoolers

Who cares what you MR quittsburghstoolers has to say: May 30, 2012 6:16 PM

———————————————————-

lol!

You obviously care PLENTY what I have to say.

Otherwise, you wouldn’t have bothered to respond to my comments.

BTW, I am not a fan of the Ravens. Personally, my “opinion” on the subject of Ray Lewis is that if he is indeed guilty of being involved in that murder then he should be in prison.

Now tell me bright boy, when is the last time you heard any Baltimore fan say that?

46. sudz28 says: May 31, 2012 6:35 AM

He could certainly be exciting to watch at times, but was so inconsistent it was maddening. I can’t say I was unhappy when he was released from the Steelers, and of course I laughed mightily when all the Ratbird fans who had spent the previous 3 years making fun of Stewart suddenly found love for him when they brought him on board in Baltimore.

Yep, always picking the crumbs off our cake those Ratbirds are.

47. Deb says: May 31, 2012 12:15 PM

@quittsburghstoolers …

Trickbunny … is that you??

48. jobotjones says: May 31, 2012 11:01 PM

Long live Slash, you were a great weapon on offense!