Leroy Kelly’s son to get another tryout from the Browns

1797309.t Getty Images

Hall of Fame running back Leroy Kelly Sr. has a son who plays football.  And Leroy Kelly Jr. will get another chance next week to win a roster spot on the team for which his dad played.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns will give Kelly a tryout on Monday.

It’ll be the second time that Kelly has had an audition with the Browns.  He got his first look-see in 2008.

Kelly, 27, plays safety and returns kicks.  “I’m very, very excited,” he said.  “Especially because it’s the Cleveland Browns.  It would mean a lot to me if they kept me around, and it would definitely mean a lot to my dad. . . .  If they brought me into training camp, he’d probably do a back a flip at the age of 72.”

Kelly has played in the Arena Football League and the German Football League.  He says that he runs the 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds.  He also had a tryout last year with the Lions.

“I recently got the call from the Browns that they wanted to bring me in for a closer look,” Kelly said.  “I’m not sure what position they have in mind.  I can play safety, I can play running back and I can return kicks.  If they want me to run to the light post and back, I’ll do that.  Anything they want.”

It’s a neat story, and the Browns can afford to give the 90th spot on the roster to the son of one of their all-time greats.  Though it’s easy to say that, if he truly had what it takes, Kelly would have at least made it to a training cam at some point before his 27th birthday, there’s a chance that, if he ever gets a chance to compete at the highest level of the sport, he’ll find a way to step up to the challenge.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Leroy Kelly’s son to get another tryout from the Browns”
  1. bigzant82 says: May 30, 2012 10:52 PM

OK BROWNS SIGN HIM
    WE NEED THE PR AND WATEVER HELP WE CAN GET!!!

2. tfbuckfutter says: May 30, 2012 11:08 PM

This worked out well for the Red Sox and Ted Williams fat son.

3. thegreatgabbert says: May 30, 2012 11:10 PM

He’ll be trying out for the Token Relative Of Former Star position. Brian Robiskie’s old spot.

4. howiefeltersnatch says: May 30, 2012 11:13 PM

Leroy Kelly Sr. is only 70…

5. vikingsfanintexas says: May 30, 2012 11:46 PM

Nice story.

I always thought Leroy Kelly was one of the better backs in the league and if he hadn’t played behind Jim Brown for two years his stats would have been even better. As it was they were good enough to get him into the Hall of Fame.

For all you Cowboy fans out there I can still remember him running against Dallas in the playoffs in 1968 and 1969. 31-20 Cleveland in 1968 and 38-14 Cleveland in 1969.

People forget just how good Cleveland was back in the day. Ahh… the memories!!

6. tfbuckfutter says: May 31, 2012 12:33 AM

vikingsfanintexas says: May 30, 2012 11:46 PM

People forget just how good Cleveland was back in the day. Ahh… the memories!!

—————————————-

2 decades of general ineptitude (including losing the franchise) does tend to make people forget about things that happened more than 40 years ago.

(Not picking on the Browns, I actually feel really bad for their fans because they are really humble and loyal fans who have had to suffer way more crap than they deserve….any team would be lucky to have fans like the Browns do)

7. hedleykow says: May 31, 2012 2:31 AM

4.38 seconds, eh? What gives? He must really suck at everything else that has to do with football if the only tryout he can get is in the name of charity.

8. joemammy says: May 31, 2012 6:50 AM

He’s still younger than Brandon Weeden.

9. clintonite44 says: May 31, 2012 6:58 AM

vikingsfanintexas says:
    May 30, 2012 11:46 PM
    Nice story.

________________________________
    You are ABSOLUTELY correct sir!! LeRoy Kelly would’ve been widely recognized as one of the most talented and productive RBs who ever played the game…..if he wasn’t stuck behind and overshadowed by Jim Brown. Few people seem to understand the talent that Kelly had! And as a Cowboys fan, I was still a Kelly admirer.

10. ezg1 says: May 31, 2012 7:39 AM

Time for daddy to cut the string! Get on with your life kid! Hanging on based on your father’s reputation is a real dis-service to his legacy.

11. hound32 says: May 31, 2012 8:28 AM

memories of my childhood . Leroy Kelly slashing through the muck at the grand old lady by the lake making defenders look silly . the worst the weather the better the Browns played . i hoped for rain / snow every game day . my first Browns game was just such weather in December 68 against the Cowboys & the Browns dismantled them 42- 10 .. they were very formidable then ..great memories ..will we ever return to glory ? i think we are on the right track . i hope Kelly jr has something to bring to the table besides his HOF Father’s last name .

Goooo Browns!!

12. godofwine330 says: May 31, 2012 8:43 AM

Good for him. He didn’t give up on his dream and kept at it. I hope he works out because we desperately need safety help.

13. CKL says: May 31, 2012 9:23 AM

I wonder what that JA Jim Brown has to say about this one?

14. realkelevra says: Jun 1, 2012 1:56 PM

Hmm, were we to bring a guy in that probably won’t make the final cuts based on ties to the franchise, it’d make a heck of a lot more sense to bring in Chase Minnifield, who, prior to his micro-fracture surgery was considered to be 2nd round talent at safety(a position which could use some help on this team).

He’s younger and most likely more talented, if he could overcome the surgery, if he can’t oh well.
    Not quite sure why they’re giving old arena football guy a go for the second time. If it’s only ties to the team, there are better ties to the team available. (Like the draft where they passed on Clay Mathews Jr….which I’m still sore about).