Mangold turns down trip to cheer on his sister during Jets’ camp

2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Women's Weightlifting Getty Images

Nick Mangold’s sister, Holley Mangold, is a weightlifter who will compete at the London Olympics this summer. Nick won’t be there to see her, but not because the Jets won’t let him leave during training camp.

Nick said on NFL Network that Jets coach Rex Ryan offered him the chance to miss a few days of training camp to travel to London to cheer his sister on, just as the Jaguars are allowing cornerback Aaron Ross to miss time at training camp to watch his Olympic sprinter wife. But Nick didn’t think it would be right to take a vacation while his teammates were sweating through the summer heat.

“God bless Rex because he did offer it to me, but I don’t think I can leave my guys in the middle of training camp,” Mangold said. “But we’ll figure out a way to watch, and I’m real excited and real proud for her. Somehow, some way, I’ll watch it. But I don’t know if I can do the jump over the pond in the middle of training camp.”

At 5-foot-9 and 350 pounds, Holley Mangold is seven inches shorter and 43 pounds heavier than Nick. She recently told the Los Angeles Times that she’s proud to be built like an offensive lineman, which she was in high school.

I’m huge,” Holley Mangold said. “I love my body. I think it’s perfect. I don’t know what my personality would be like if I wasn’t so huge.”

Holley is huge enough that she qualified for the Olympics by clean and jerking 319 pounds. But no matter how huge Holley gets, Nick made a point of saying on NFL Network that he’s stronger than she is.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Mangold turns down trip to cheer on his sister during Jets’ camp”
  1. joetoronto says: May 30, 2012 7:01 AM

Man, that’s a whole lot of woman, yikes.

2. dealer009 says: May 30, 2012 7:02 AM

She’s still single?

3. ddjesus says: May 30, 2012 7:05 AM

Jesus dude, why? What made you look at her and say, I’m gonna hit that?

4. kfiz14 says: May 30, 2012 7:08 AM

I wouldn’t want to look at her either.

5. itsacurse says: May 30, 2012 7:24 AM

You guys are cool and hilarious. Hilarious and cool.

6. 4t9er says: May 30, 2012 7:27 AM

Go Holley, win the gold medal.

7. douc66 says: May 30, 2012 7:42 AM

zappa69 says: May 30, 2012 7:25 AM

“It’s not Raymond Burr it’s Hollzilla”

I bet you wouldn’t say that in her face

8. tilllman40 says: May 30, 2012 7:43 AM

Ya I’d hit that

9. iaactuary says: May 30, 2012 7:44 AM

Mangold’s teammates need to step up and tell him to go. How can he not be there to support his sister’s once in a lifetime chance to be the best in the world in her sport? It doesn’t have to be a ‘vacation.’ Take the playbook to read on he plane, and go for a day or 2 when she competes and come back home.

Maybe when Mangold plays in a Super bowl someday, hopefully not with Rex Ryan, Holley will say, “Sorry, can’t make it. I’ve got a training session I just CAN’T miss!”

10. depstein1983 says: May 30, 2012 7:45 AM

The woman is a world-class athlete. Let’s show a little class and respect.

11. prosourcetalk says: May 30, 2012 8:00 AM

I bet she’s a far better blocker than Wayne Hunter

12. Kaz says: May 30, 2012 8:04 AM

She’s probably better than half the OLineman in the league. But since women can’t play there is always WWE. She’d be entertaining it sounds like with her personality.

13. nflofficeadmin says: May 30, 2012 8:12 AM

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Mangold,
    I want to apologize for the comments made by a few boneheads on this site and the network for letting these comments see the light of day. Good luck to your daughter in the coming Olympics. We all will be cheering for her.

14. skinsfantom says: May 30, 2012 8:13 AM

grow up she’s an american goin’ for the gold-go holly and bring it home

15. boilerup1869 says: May 30, 2012 8:18 AM

I bet she could clear a stadium with her toots

16. deathtoromo says: May 30, 2012 8:28 AM

Now I know where the real rex ryan went. Aye caramba!

17. baron30 says: May 30, 2012 8:28 AM

i don’t care how much of a “world class athlete” she is, 5-foot-9 and 350 pounds is morbidly obese. I hope after she wins her gold medal she realized that if she doesn’t shed some lbs she will be dead at 35.

gold medals will seem a little hollow once diabetes takes your feet.

18. EJ says: May 30, 2012 8:33 AM

I bet she is stronger than Nick on the Bench Press. Get that Gold Holley, make us proud!

19. tfbuckfutter says: May 30, 2012 8:34 AM

At least she’s doing something positive and constructive with her abnormal size, as opposed to growing to an abnormal size through inactivity.

That said, hopefully after her time in the spotlight she will recognize that her body isn’t “perfect”, it’s only actually beneficial for this one specific endeavor, and if she doesn’t mix in a whole lot of cardio, it will completely fail on her by the time she is 40.

20. sanchize6 says: May 30, 2012 8:34 AM

ampats says:
    May 30, 2012 7:54 AM
    Another reason why Tim Tebow will remain a virgin while on the Jets.
    ———————————–
    Seriously.. the trolls on here get dumber and dumber all the time. This doesn’t even make sense. Really cool and hilarious posters here making fun of a girl representing our country in the Olympics. I’m sure all of you are in perfect shape and super good looking right? That’s why you wait for all of the posts on PFT about the Jets and whatever else to jump in with your super-hilarious comments, right?

21. daaabears says: May 30, 2012 8:43 AM

Hit that, you got backup for life.

22. xxwhodatxx says: May 30, 2012 8:45 AM

Football happens every year. Your sister in the Olympics not so much. I’d have gone.

23. east96st says: May 30, 2012 8:47 AM

‘Take the playbook to read on he plane, and go for a day or 2 when she competes and come back home.”

You do realize it’s an over 7 hour flight, not including TSA and British security (which will be over the top to protect the Olympics), plus the five hour time difference, & transportation to and from the event? Yeah, the guy has financial resources that most of us can only dream of and could pull it all off in style & comfort, but no way in hell he sees his sister in a 24 to 48 hour span and is good to go the next day at training camp. Not saying he shouldn’t go, but he’ll need more time than you think.

24. doggz109 says: May 30, 2012 8:53 AM

Poor girl….she is an athlete now and can get away with being that big.

However, she will die way too early if she doesn’t change it soon.

25. fballguy says: May 30, 2012 9:00 AM

If she was hot, he’d be there.

26. packersbound says: May 30, 2012 9:01 AM

Go Holley! She could kick Gilese Bundchen’s crybaby mouth!

27. jm91rs says: May 30, 2012 9:02 AM

She’s proud of her looks and we should all be proud of her when she represents us this summer. You go ahead and make fun of her, but you know perfectly well you’ll be hoping she adds to the medal count.

28. dynaco says: May 30, 2012 9:02 AM

Good golly Miss Holley.
    Bring home the (wo)ManGold and rub it in Bro’s face.

29. rufustfireflyjr says: May 30, 2012 9:04 AM

iaactuary says:
    May 30, 2012 7:44 AM

My bet is that: (1) his being in London would not make one iota of difference in her performance, and (2) being a world class athlete herself, she understands his committment to his sport.

30. howiehandles says: May 30, 2012 9:11 AM

In all fairness, at her weight, cleaning what she did is pretty lousy.

Nick should go if he wants too, especially since Ryan gave him permission. He’s a vet, a damn good one too, and its just OTAs.

31. samoanjungle says: May 30, 2012 9:11 AM

Baby got Back

32. pacificnw7722 says: May 30, 2012 9:18 AM

“She recently told the Los Angeles Times that she’s proud to be built like an offensive lineman, which she was in high school.”

Sounds like a fun prom date!

33. Steeler's Will says: May 30, 2012 9:20 AM

Go Holley!

34. dryzzt23 says: May 30, 2012 9:22 AM

In the 2013 NFL Draft, the J-E-T-S select center Holly Mangold

35. jlporcher says: May 30, 2012 9:49 AM

She was once on MTVs show “true life” showing a documentary of her weight lifting. She’s actually really talented. They also showed Nick on the show and it showed that she really cares for her brother and she kinda looks up to her brother because he’s in the NFL but Nick is actually “embarrassed” of her because of her size. Nick is kinda an ass towards her never really seems to support anything avenue does and always has some sort of smart jab to throw at her all the time. So him not showing up to support her in London isn’t a huge surprise.

Get a life Nick, family’s forever. Football is temporary…..

36. jlb10 says: May 30, 2012 9:59 AM

i think it is terrible and shows little respect on nick’s part for him not to go. espn has ran a story or 2 about the relationship these 2 have.
    its a once in a lifetime shot and you don’t go see your sister? training camp and otas happen every year. what is wrong you you MAN?
    blood is not thicker than football?

37. zeedoubleyou says: May 30, 2012 10:01 AM

I guess some people never grow up.

Holley was featured on MTV’s ‘True Life’ and came across as an extremely dedicated and driven person chasing her dreams. As if we needed any other reason to cheer for an American athlete in the Olympics, we’ll all be pulling for Holley!

38. audient says: May 30, 2012 10:07 AM

I’d like to know how many of the writers of the buffoonish comments above would qualify for any athletic competition, much less the Olympics.

39. wlubake says: May 30, 2012 10:38 AM

To echo jlporcher, I also saw the MTV True Life w/ Holley. Nick came off like a petty older brother who didn’t support her efforts at all. Seemed to think he was the only family member entitled to do big things. If you saw that episode, you would not be at all surprised that he’s not going. I got the impression he wouldn’t walk across the street to support her, not to mention traveling across the world and missing training camp.

40. gobills716 says: May 30, 2012 10:43 AM

Holley sounds like a dime, 5’9″ 350 lbs. pure steel….sign me up.

41. clintonportisheadd says: May 30, 2012 10:50 AM

audient says: May 30, 2012 10:07 AM

—————————————

The majority of us are automatically disqualified as most (but not all) these sports require a specialized body type. Genetics plays a much larger role than “desire” ever could.

From the age of 5 I could dedicate 12 hours a day/7days a week/365 days a year to being a basketball player, weightlifter, football player, hockey player, etc etc but it would all be in vain.

42. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 30, 2012 10:59 AM

baron30 says:
    May 30, 2012 8:28 AM

gold medals will seem a little hollow once diabetes takes your feet.

________________________________

I’m not sure what 5’9 350 person morbidly obese person you know, that can lift 319 lbs over their head. Plus, they have to take physicals in order to compete. So I doubt diabetes is in her future.

43. bearsrulepackdrool says: May 30, 2012 11:26 AM

—————————–

So now we know how much the head of the Olympic committee weighs.

44. flyerscup2010 says: May 30, 2012 11:52 AM

Can the Jets sign her, like forreal forreal? She’s gotta be better than at least 3/5 of our offensive line. Or maybe if she wants to give defense a try, she’d be the best nose they had since Kris Jenkins.

45. bigbluefan1 says: May 30, 2012 12:14 PM

Nick go see your sister its not like the JETS are winning anything this year

Very trashy of him to stay home while his sister goes for the gold.

Sounds like the brother is not very suportive

46. godofwine330 says: May 30, 2012 1:13 PM

She won a state title as a center for an Ohio high school football team (correction) she won 2 state titles as an offensive lineman including 1 runner up. Yeah, she is a big girl, but props to her. To be a woman and an offensive lineman she had to be great. Good isn’t good enough if you are a woman playing football in high school. Good gets you on the bench, allows you to suit up, but does get you to play and start.

If I was Nick I would go. This isn’t something that comes around all the often. She has defied odds being a female offensive linemen with 2 more state titles than I have as a dude. She continues to do outstanding things being in the Olympics. It’s 3 days in training camp. Your back up could use the work and your job will be there when you get back. Go support your family, man. How many family members have a chance to go for gold in the olympics?

47. CKL says: May 30, 2012 2:26 PM

packersbound says: May 30, 2012 9:01 AM

Go Holley! She could kick Gilese Bundchen’s crybaby mouth!
    ________________________________
    As a Pats fan, I would love that. I’ll even chip in to pay for it. :P.

48. meatcleave42 says: Jun 1, 2012 10:35 AM

Anyone else remember when Nick Mangold was about to get drafted in the 1st Round and they did a 20 minute documentary on his fat sister playing offensive lineman in High School….. Nick didnt seem too thrilled about it and looked embarrassed.

Obviously he doesnt want to waste his time to go watch his sister participate in the Olympics, unless they have a 20 min documentary about him. Right?