Warren Sapp will remain on NFL Network

Warren Sapp, Jerome Bettis AP

Despite reports that he was on the outs, Warren Sapp will remain on NFL Network.

Eric Weinberger, executive producer at NFL Network, told USA Today that “this is probably going to be news to some blogs and articles out there who’ve said his time is up here, but we picked up an option year on his contract.”

Sapp was reminded by the league-owned network that he’s supposed to be an analyst, not a reporter, when he said an unnamed source had told him that Jeremy Shockey had “snitched” on the Saints in the bounty scandal. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell later called Sapp’s report inaccurate. There was much speculation after that flap that Sapp was done, and Sapp said in his recent bankruptcy filing that he wasn’t sure if he would be able to keep the job, which pays him $45,000 a month.

But while Sapp has been removed from his spot on Showtime’s Inside the NFL, he’s not losing his job at NFL Network. According to the network, Sapp will remain in the same on-air role, offering the same analysis. Just no more reporting from anonymous sources.

Permalink 88 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
88 Responses to “Warren Sapp will remain on NFL Network”
  1. nyyjetsknicks says: May 30, 2012 7:18 PM

Remember that time Sapp kept his mouth shut? Yea, me either.

2. jimcaldwellsucks says: May 30, 2012 7:18 PM

Speaks the truth more than any other analyst on TV.

3. canadianvikingfaniii says: May 30, 2012 7:19 PM

I cannot stand him.

4. rolltide510 says: May 30, 2012 7:20 PM

Good news imo. It took him a couple years to get the hang of broadcasting, but he’s great on NFLN.

5. bedabear says: May 30, 2012 7:21 PM

looks like another year of watching ESPN game day for me.

6. bchapman2011 says: May 30, 2012 7:21 PM

Worst news ever…….I have disliked this guy ever since he threw Shockey under the bus. I bet this punk finds that lost Super Bowl ring as soon as his bankruptcy situation is resolved.

7. CKL says: May 30, 2012 7:22 PM

I’m fine with their keeping Sapp if they fire Deion and Dukes. My GOODNESS those two are horrible. Faulk blatantly hates my team but he’s so obvious about it I kind of get a kick out of his bitterness.

8. seattlerogueburner says: May 30, 2012 7:27 PM

The guy who sells him the nude paintings is opening up a bottle of champagne right now.

9. towniesman says: May 30, 2012 7:29 PM

he brings absolutely nothing to the table, just watch em on Showtimes Inside The NFL…..

10. vmannj says: May 30, 2012 7:29 PM

According to whistle-blower protection laws, Warren Sapp SHOULD be tried as a federal criminal. And we all know how much the NFL LOOOVVEESSS their criminals.

11. patriots123456 says: May 30, 2012 7:29 PM

I think Sapp has truely lived up to his name.

Can’t stand him.

12. NationalFanatic says: May 30, 2012 7:32 PM

I LOVE SAPP! He’s the BEST analyst on the NFL Network (well, top three – Andrew Siciliano is pretty funny too, but he’s no SAPP). SAPP keeps me interested and I’m eager to hear what he says, and I’ll tell you what, when he was suspended, I actually MISSED him.
    Obviously, I watch the NFL Network too much!

13. souldogdave says: May 30, 2012 7:34 PM

Too bad.

14. watters7 says: May 30, 2012 7:34 PM

Just another reason not to watch all that weekly/pre-game crap. I really dont need watch 6 loud mouths yell over each other just to state the obvious. I also really don’t care who you think is going to win the game.

15. nccrabman says: May 30, 2012 7:38 PM

CKL – agree with you on Deion but I’d keep Dukes and fire Irvin.

16. grogansheroes says: May 30, 2012 7:43 PM

The next time this loudmouth says something worthwhile will be the first! I guess NFL network wants to become like the four letter network. All fluff from so-called “experts”, but no substance.

17. dd393 says: May 30, 2012 7:44 PM

I guess I shouldn’t complain that Time-Warner doesn’t carry the NFL Network.

18. ademell1 says: May 30, 2012 7:47 PM

I honestly doubt that Rich Eisen or Fran Charles care much for Sapp as an analyst.

Maybe that’s why Andrew and Lindsay are doing NFLTA most the time…lol it’s not like they can put their foot down and I wouldn’t expect them too.

Having experience in broadcasting, I personally wouldn’t look forward to doing a sports show with Warren Sapp or Michael Irvin.

19. fordmandalay says: May 30, 2012 7:48 PM

And our long national nightmare continues.

20. tommyf15 says: May 30, 2012 7:51 PM

vmannj says: According to whistle-blower protection laws, Warren Sapp SHOULD be tried as a federal criminal.

This simply isn’t true. There is nothing in Whistleblower Protection Act or anywhere else where the act of exposing a whistleblower is considered a crime. Knowingly or not, you’re dispensing false information.

If true it’s something Shockey could file a lawsuit over.

21. duanethomas says: May 30, 2012 7:55 PM

Doesn’t matter. His pay checks were garnished anyway…and wheres that SuperBowl ring fat boy.

22. freemanmvp says: May 30, 2012 7:56 PM

I’m glad for Warren Sapp! I laugh at all you haters because he kicked your ass’ every time baby! HOF!!! and he has way more fans than haters that’s why he is back! Than again this site always gets more haters than fans in the comments section for any article anyway. lol

23. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: May 30, 2012 7:59 PM

I’ll take Sapp over Sanders on the field or in the studio any day of the week.

I do find it humorous that media types are critics of other media types not being analysts and should be reporters.

Maybe I’m just getting old …

24. LoCoSu@%s says: May 30, 2012 8:08 PM

I really dont mind Sapp. He’s streets better than Jamie “biased” Dukes and Deion “blowhard, pompous, conceited, hypocritical” Sanders.

25. easyeddie says: May 30, 2012 8:10 PM

$45,000 a month? Waste of money for what those guys do.

26. vasteelerfan says: May 30, 2012 8:18 PM

Great player, but I hate him and the show he is on. Not very polished more like street talk with no substance. His being acceptable reflects a lack realistic thinking on the producers part he is an old name with old fame yet very lame!

27. imongo says: May 30, 2012 8:23 PM

Just another reason to not watch the NFL network.

28. thetwilightsown says: May 30, 2012 8:24 PM

People wanted him out long before he hung his arse out for the world to see – apparently NFLN likes to keep whatever sliver of controversy it can. Tell you what: if the trade in this is that we never hear from that sycophant Mike Pereira I can get through another year… maybe. Of course, his “book” might change that a bit. “Firing for cause” is the fail safe for all the bean counters anyway.

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

29. footballisfun says: May 30, 2012 8:31 PM

Him coming back is great copy for this site. A whole new year of pro/con Sapp rants. Good stuff.

30. jlb10 says: May 30, 2012 8:32 PM

that is the worst news i have heard in a looooooong time. maybe since the bottom fell out of wall street

31. raiderapologist says: May 30, 2012 8:33 PM

Doesn’t matter much to me if it’s Sapp or some other tool in that seat. If I tune to that channel and any of the analysts are yapping, I just move on.

32. wtfchiefs says: May 30, 2012 8:33 PM

Not a shocker, the NFLN as a whole is pretty crappy. The game announcers, the highlight show guys, the commentators, the programming, etc.

33. matthewcarlson1 says: May 30, 2012 8:35 PM

No respect for a millionaire who files bankruptcy.

34. backindasaddle says: May 30, 2012 8:37 PM

Getting $45,000/month to be a blowhard. I’m going to have a heart to heart with my parents and ask them why they didn’t raise me to become a blowhard.

35. cw3214 says: May 30, 2012 8:45 PM

Warren Sapp’s most accurate “report” was saying that it was always Christmas in Michael Irvin world while Irvin went on a 5 minute long, coke induced rant.

36. mojosmagic says: May 30, 2012 8:49 PM

Joke. So many qualified people out there and the NFL network keeps a fat sap.

37. jwayne111 says: May 30, 2012 8:57 PM

the fella that says he has more fans than haters must not see the #’s here.

The garnished paycheck will go to child support I hope.

ESPN Gameday again this year.

38. franklamar17 says: May 30, 2012 9:02 PM

Glad they did not let him go,he tells it like it is….

39. saintij says: May 30, 2012 9:04 PM

If you dont watch the nfl network… you cant afford the damn thing….JK!!! …..

Seriously though as long as I get my football: Thursday, Sat, Sun and especially Monday …I’ll pick and chose who I’ll listen to during pregame!

… just like all of you!?..

which makes me say.. hmmmmmm….you have so much “FEELINGS” and “EMOTIONS” about the man makes me ask….

How much do you’ll really watch him to have so deep a feeling?……. almost like that X-girlfriend you cant stop thinking bout ;)

40. bradentonbuc says: May 30, 2012 9:08 PM

Good news. He is very refreshing in this ESPN robot world of sports news.

41. trollaikman8 says: May 30, 2012 9:08 PM

Why.jpg

This is the worst news possible.

42. curtainclosed says: May 30, 2012 9:17 PM

P.O.S.

43. leo133074 says: May 30, 2012 9:19 PM

Watch sapp on nfl network. When he speaks it is as if he just snorted an 8ball

44. kayakattack says: May 30, 2012 9:21 PM

No. This is awful. He uses his media position to try to immortalize himself as a player. He puts down every defensive player in the league while trying to prop himself up as a legend of the game, and his narcissistic episodes are beyond over the top… He’s not even a good football analyst and I really am having trouble finding 1 good reason that he was kept on.

45. mrvikingsfan11 says: May 30, 2012 9:27 PM

I love Sapp and glad to here the news, awesome!!

46. frankdatank23 says: May 30, 2012 9:38 PM

how could they be so desperate ?……. the only thing sapp can provide is bickering and controversy. I dont get it….. Just another reason NOT to pay for it.

47. schmitty2 says: May 30, 2012 9:43 PM

That picture of him makes me vomit. Whenever his eyes get big you know he’s about to spew nonsense

48. mjkelly77 says: May 30, 2012 9:58 PM

The untalented a$$ clown Warren Sapp should be flipping burgers somewhere.

49. danfoutsbeard619 says: May 30, 2012 10:14 PM

I really dont mind Sapp on Total Access, at least hes funny sometimes. Its Jamie Dukes, Deion Sanders, and Michael Irvin that I cant stand on that show. Whatever happened to Rich Eisen, Andrew Siciliano isnt too bad but his enormous ears are distracting.

50. seehoxrun says: May 30, 2012 10:18 PM

Sapp LOL typical

51. 7to10for6allday says: May 30, 2012 10:21 PM

Good. All the haters talk about hate and polished talk…..really? Espn is Better? Go listen to that punk brusci and meshawn. Espn got nothing on nfln. Go sapp! And get rid of Irvin and that stiff Warner.

52. seehoxrun says: May 30, 2012 10:22 PM

I think Sapp and kimbo have some unfinished business to take care of LOL

53. skolvikesskol says: May 30, 2012 10:25 PM

Sweet! More staredown comebacks, more marble mouth moments and the occasional insight. Wish he woulda apologized for the shockey thing. Keep reading (i amstaring u down right now)… I guess it diesnt make for good posting either.

54. dustinmc says: May 30, 2012 10:27 PM

Booooooooooooooooooooo!!!

55. usahell says: May 30, 2012 10:28 PM

The people in this country… WOW.
    All the HATE-FILLED Americans, pitiful.
    One user said they wanted Sapp gone when the comments (Shockey) first came out. Are u kidding me, because the truth was spoken you Americans wanted Sapp gone, maybe that’s not Sapp’s job to do but he did it!

Talk that talk to his face and watch you curl up like a real punk that most of you people are.

Where I work, I get at people who talk like they really HATE other people and what do you know, they keep moving or shut up.

My point, thirty-something comments and only less than a hand full I feel are good honest comments the others (most) are read between the lines HATE. Go somewhere and learn yourself, become better people… People!

56. ccvikes says: May 30, 2012 10:33 PM

Crabman,

I am with you about Irvin. Not a bad show until he comes on I tune out!

57. gards81 says: May 30, 2012 10:48 PM

Sapp, Irvin, and K. Johnson = awful

58. bullpuppy552 says: May 30, 2012 10:52 PM

Can’t someone issue a permanent gag order on Sapp? The guys I.Q. is the same as his hat size.

59. 5pecialk says: May 30, 2012 10:56 PM

Seriously, even outside of the whole “snitching” blunder, he’s a horrible analyst. The worst is when he gets into debates with the other two clowns, Irving and Sanders. Painful.

60. wyeth0813 says: May 30, 2012 11:21 PM

i don’t understand the problem with Sapp. i like his personality!

61. chief67 says: May 30, 2012 11:38 PM

45,000 a year would be to much !

62. Herb Deluxe says: May 30, 2012 11:39 PM

PUT A JERSEY ON! PUT A JERSEY ON!

63. reggiebush25 says: May 30, 2012 11:48 PM

Lebron James is THE all-time number 1 choke artist in the history of sports. Never get in a foxhole with him!!!

64. winninitall says: May 30, 2012 11:49 PM

When he talks all it does is waste my time. Make sure he can keep his slippers on this time.

65. kenyonsupertramp says: May 30, 2012 11:58 PM

Apopka sucks

66. upperdecker19 says: May 31, 2012 12:02 AM

Given this development……will Warren still have time for the “Judge Sapp” show that the world really needs?

67. covercorner says: May 31, 2012 12:15 AM

Why did they pick up his option!?

68. kindbass says: May 31, 2012 12:37 AM

“I’m glad I still get to see Warren Sapp on TV” -nobody

69. Seshadri says: May 31, 2012 2:58 AM

If there is 1 person I can never tolerate on TV , it is Sapp. His body language is obnoxious, he is loud mouthed and he never allows others to speak with his ostrich eyes rolling over some left over p**nanis.
    He should do mankind a favor by joining hands with the kardashians or jerry springer or judge judy..
    I am amazed at his stupidity for blowing of millions which he earned and am even more amazed at the stupidity of the NFLN in picking up an option year..

70. electionconfidential says: May 31, 2012 4:08 AM

I’ll continue to not watch.

71. jikkle49 says: May 31, 2012 4:53 AM

Most of the “analysts” on the NFL Network and ESPN suck.

I usually go with NFL Network’s Gameday because they are at least somewhat entertaining and actually look like they enjoy what they are doing and since it’s a longer program you usually get more coverage of the teams in games.

72. joetoronto says: May 31, 2012 5:32 AM

What a dumb decision, makes you wonder.

73. bbk1000 says: May 31, 2012 6:50 AM

This is more of a reflection of what the NFL thinks of its fanbase.

I have never spoken to anybody who likes Sapp or thinks he does a good job.

The NFL survives, actually flourishes, in spite of itself.

74. leevi98 says: May 31, 2012 7:33 AM

Oh God..between Sapp, Irving and Deion…I will keep watching ANY other NFL coverage I can find!

75. xmgmx says: May 31, 2012 7:49 AM

Anytime Dukes, Sapp, Sanders, Irvin or Gruden are on my screen, the channel gets changed. Even newbie, Brian Dawkins is better than these ego maniac blow hards.

76. eaglessuperfan says: May 31, 2012 8:02 AM

YaY Warren!! No soup kitchen for you!!

77. bucforever says: May 31, 2012 8:16 AM

Hate him or love him , it’s all about the ratings and publicity. That’s show business and Sapp is entertaining you have to admit. Smart move by the NFL Network.

78. ksm31311 says: May 31, 2012 8:41 AM

usahell says:
    May 30, 2012 10:28 PM
    The people in this country… WOW.
    All the HATE-FILLED Americans, pitiful.

——————

When are you moving to Saudi Arabia?

I live there and so come on over and I’ll show you some hate…

79. lostsok says: May 31, 2012 9:03 AM

Sapp doesn’t make articulate comments, he just shoots off his mouth. He dumbs down the entire network.

80. rcp27 says: May 31, 2012 9:06 AM

Can’t stand the guy, will to watch the network when he is on

81. mancave001 says: May 31, 2012 9:14 AM

Sapp’s not a great commentator, but I don’t mind watching him at all. Given his bankruptcy filing, I’m glad to see that he gets to hang on to his job.

82. jimmylions says: May 31, 2012 2:06 PM

I’m glad to get to see him hang on to his job. As screw ups go, this was pretty big, but it’s also a “teachable moment.”

83. clintonportisheadd says: May 31, 2012 2:32 PM

A joke of a network makes a joke of a hire (or re-hire). This is the same place that named Tim Tebow 4th best Heisman winner to ever play in the NFL so you KNOW credibility is not real important to them.

84. bangitfootball says: Jun 3, 2012 8:44 AM

Surprising. I saw a big future for him on BBQ shows.

85. bangitfootball says: Jun 3, 2012 8:46 AM

Being Fat, black and stupid is no way to go through life.

I was talking about Jamie Dukes actually lol

86. baddorange says: Jun 3, 2012 1:27 PM

Who cares. I only watch the games and not these eperts. Same crap every week and they sure don’t know anything about fantasy football. hi priced has beens shilling for ESPN/NFL sponsors

87. nflrule says: Jun 5, 2012 9:20 PM

Sapp is not the worst analyst on the NFL Network.That would be a tie between Willie McGinnest and Heath Evans.They are unwatchable and offer nothing.Just like the host with the big ears Andrew Siciliano.You have to change the channel.And dont get me started with the female ‘analysts’..Give me a break.

88. radrntn says: Jun 6, 2012 2:45 PM