Adrian Peterson is well enough to race Percy Harvin, uphill

AP

It’s still unclear whether Vikings running back Adrian Peterson will be ready to suit up and play come Week One of the 2012 season, due to a torn ACL suffered on Christmas Eve against the Redskins.  It is clear, however, that roughly five months after the injury he’s able to sprint.  Against teammate Percy Harvin.

Up a hill.

Evidence of Peterson and Harvin running side by side appears at the website of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, as part of a video review of the day’s practice session.

“I missed that,” coach Leslie Frazier said in comments distributed by the team. O “ur trainer was telling me about it and we have it on tape so I’m looking forward to seeing that but he was telling me that they looked real good.  The good thing is those guys are competing, they push one another and that’s good for us, two great athletes like that pushing each other in competition in their rehab, that’s a good thing.”

It doesn’t mean Peterson would be ready to play any time soon.  But he still has 101 more days to prepare for the regular-season opener.

For now, he’s looking no different than any other guy who’s getting ready for football season.

39 responses to “Adrian Peterson is well enough to race Percy Harvin, uphill

1. Peterson will be ready by week 1, recovery time is much shorter now days with all the special equipment available to the athletes.

2. It doesn’t hurt me.
    You wanna feel how it feels?
    You wanna know, know that it doesn’t hurt me?
    You wanna hear about the deal I’m making?
    You be running up that hill
    You and me be running up that hill

And if I only could,
    Make a deal with God,
    And get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    Be running up that building.
    If I only could, oh…

3. As far as an ACL is concerned, there’s a big difference between a quick sprint up a hill and playing running back in the NFL. That said, still wish him the best in his recovery.

4. Uh boy, I hope AP’s not over-doing it. The Vikings need this guy back on the field, and for that matter, so does the NFL.

It’s a great sign if he’s already back this far, but as a Viking fan, I can imagine waking up one morning in July and finding out he’s had a set back. As snake-bitten as this franchise is, fans almost come to expect it.

5. This guy is the epitome of a football player. Tough, hard working and a great person.

I would like to see the Vikes win a Super Bowl soon, just so AP can get a ring, he deserves one.

6. Peterson and Harvin were the best high school football players in the country at their time, and are considered the only high school athletes in this era that could have gone pro directly from high school.

vikings are lucky to have just one of them.

7. Running uphill is a testament to leg strength more so than speed. Either way, Harvin looked to have the edge on strength and speed in that video. I would have thought Peterson would have gotten up the hill better than he did.

8. Why is there 45 dislikes for this fantasy football projection? With the 7th pick I will be taking AP for sure.

txstaff says: May 31, 2012 8:12 AM

1. Foster 2. Rice 3. McCoy 4. Megatron 5. A-Rodge 6. MJD 7. A.P.

9. @larrydavid815 says:
    May 31, 2012 9:25 AM

txstaff says: May 31, 2012 8:12 AM

1. Foster 2. Rice 3. McCoy 4. Megatron 5. A-Rodge 6. MJD 7. A.P.

————————
    First the dislikes were because no one knew if you were talking about MVP voting or Fantasy Football or what you were thinking.

Then they were dislikes because it was horrible order for a top 7, no matter how your league scores. But good luck with that.

10. The only other player I can remember coming back this quickly from an ACL was Wes Welker in 2010. Even though he performed adequately that year, he really wasn’t himself until 2011.

Peterson is a tough SOB and from the looks of it, will suit up week one. Don’t get me wrong, this is great news. Just don’t be discouraged if he’s not quite as effective this year. He’ll be back to himself for sure by 2013 though.

11. Don’t let the Lions know the hill is grass — It’ll be smoked up by tomorrow–Now that’s trainin!

12. I am scared straight by the Jacksonville Jaguars…NOT! Our run defense is still pretty dang good and I ain’t scared of your passing game.

13. For all the other less informed, AP was also doing a more challenging drill doing cuts in a sandbox after the uphill run with Harvin. He looked really good doing this drill and have all the confidence that if he keeps up the pace, he will be ready to stomp on week 1 against the Jags in the Dome.

14. Peterson will be broaght along slowly. He will not be allowed to cut anymore, just run straight ahead threw those big holes in the line and leave people in the dust. Ya Right.

I don’t hear his big mouth going off so much this season, the silence is deafening.

15. mnomalley says:
    May 31, 2012 10:53 AM

—————————

Being able to do the drill doesn’t mean he looked “really good.” I actually thought he didn’t look good in the box or running up hill. He looked like he was being careful, which is to be expected.

I hate to tell you this, but I’ve seen this kind of thing before. Donovan McNabb was ahead of schedule too. He looked “good” in the preseason. Well, once we got into the year, it took him until December to look more like himself in a game. And even then, I don’t believe he was ever the same after the knee.

I hope I’m wrong, but I have a feeling that

1) AP will not be himself in Week 1

2) He’ll never quite be the same player.

16. “dnut says:
    May 31, 2012 10:27 AM
    I am scared straight by the Jacksonville Jaguars…NOT! Our run defense is still pretty dang good and I ain’t scared of your passing game.”

This is a new season and not 2011. I guess you base everything off of the last season you will be sorely sad. New coaching staff, upgraded wr a full off season for Gabbert. Your team? Ap coming off a serious injury so good luck with that.

17. I don’t care if he’s 100% week one. I want him using some kind of leg brace at least a month. Those things have made huge advances in technology and aren’t as cumbersome now.

18. jagsfanugh says: May 31, 2012 11:32 AM

————————–
    Okay….. Let’s do this one thing at a time.

New coaching staff: because that always makes a huge difference in the first year, right?

Upgraded WR: You have a rookie and a guy on his 4th team in 6 years, and then the garbage you had last year. I suppose if you pull a 4-cylinder and pu tin a V6, it is an upgrade, but you still won’t win at Talladega.

Full offseason for Gabbert: Maybe he can get his comp% over 51% this year. And that 5.4 YPA? There are running backs who do better than that. Maybe after a full offseason he can be considered a long-term project.

Good luck with that….

19. Looks like he’s kicking Percy’s butt! Can’t wait to see AP on the field again. This guy is a beast! I look forward to the Packer-Vicking rivalry. It’s much better with AP in the mix!

20. jagsfanugh says:May 31, 2012 11:32 AM

“dnut says:
    May 31, 2012 10:27 AM

___________

We’re really trash-talking about Week 1 between two teams that don’t care about each other? Okay, sounds good. You might note that Ponder is getting a full offseason too, and he looked a lot better than Gabbert last year.