Jermichael Finley says he had no chemistry with Aaron Rodgers last year

Jermichael+Finley+Divisional+Playoffs+New+v-QKSmiFH_yl Getty Images

Packers tight end Jermichael Finley tied a career-high in catches last season and set them in yards and touchdowns, which was good enough to get him a two-year extension this offseason.

Hearing Finley talk about last year, though, it’s a wonder that things turned out so well. Finley talked about a need to increase his focus so that he can cut down on the 11 dropped passes he had last season, although he said his contract status had nothing to do with the issues catching the ball. Finley blamed a lack of chemistry with Aaron Rodgers for the problem.

“It was just my play. I’m not blaming it on my offseason, but me and the QB didn’t have chemistry,” Finley said, via Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com. “The routes were off sometimes, and that’ll mess with your head when the ball comes. The contract didn’t bother me at all. Not one bit. Not one bit.”

Finley also said that the lack of offseason work left him feeling like a robot and that he plans to do more freestyling this season. If a little more freestyling and a little more time with Rodgers lead to fewer drops, Finley could be in line for a few more career bests next season.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Jermichael Finley says he had no chemistry with Aaron Rodgers last year”
  1. gregm5s7 says: May 31, 2012 4:49 PM

Rooting for this guy. Battled back from the injury to play but didn’t look like like 09-10 Finley. Started 10-11 leading team in receptions + yards, so I expect him to get back to there with a normal offseason and being fully rehabbed

2. Great Caesar's Ghost says: May 31, 2012 4:50 PM

This guy is eternally Next Year’s Best Tight End.

3. cakemixa says: May 31, 2012 4:55 PM

What the hell does chemistry have to do with having stone hands? The passes were in your hands, and you dropped them.

4. taintedsaints2009 says: May 31, 2012 4:59 PM

i think it’s interesting the packers won the superbowl without this blabbermouth

5. thankheavenfornumberseven says: May 31, 2012 5:00 PM

“Me and the QB didn’t have any chemistry. I don’t know, there was just something about him that wasn’t quite right. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but we were just different in some way.”

6. ortonwhiskeycrew says: May 31, 2012 5:02 PM

7. TylerHills says: May 31, 2012 5:06 PM

Really? They certainly seemed to be in sync -_-

8. dohpey28 says: May 31, 2012 5:07 PM

Yeah a receiver “freestyling” his routes is always good for an offense.

9. der6495 says: May 31, 2012 5:10 PM

So when you’re standing on the goal line and Rodgers throws one right at you, the “lack of chemistry” made you drop it?

Give me a break. Look up Packers-Falcons on YouTube Jermichael.

10. blarry21 says: May 31, 2012 5:17 PM

Finley is a “me first” player and that’s why the Pack won the Bowl without him. Should’ve saved his contract money and let him walk. He makes me nervous cause of his attitude.

11. spreadthecheese says: May 31, 2012 5:18 PM

If Finley and Rodgers didn’t have chemistry last year it’s because Finley dropped whatever Rodgers threw his way.

12. gregm5s7 says: May 31, 2012 5:34 PM

Wow, people are outraged because of the drops. You know what? Greg Jennings had some drops too after he missed time.

Rodgers has very specific location of the football, which is why he doesn’t throw the interceptions of other QB’s. It’s “my guy or nobody”

With a full offseason, I know it’s going to be back to well-oiled machine here in September, including Finley.

13. textexington says: May 31, 2012 5:52 PM

Packers are gonna win Superbowl XLVII. The Minnehaha Viqueefs will be lucky to win even 3 games.Rodgers > Pounder.LOLZ.

14. kfs9891 says: May 31, 2012 5:54 PM

Freestyling means not knowing the playnook again. Like Rodgers doesnt know what route youre supposed run? On a side note Finleys voice sounds exactly like AndrewBynums and the garbage that comes out is just as idiotic.

15. baddorange says: May 31, 2012 6:01 PM

Well, you better get in a lab then. If you and Rodgers don’t have chemistry, pack your jock strap, loser

16. cbblitz21 says: May 31, 2012 6:03 PM

As a Packer fan this guy drives me nuts. He can drop 3 passes, but when he finally catches the 4th one thrown his way he is showboating and talking crap. I have yet to see this guy do one thing that shows me he cares more about winning than he does about personal achievements. It is a shame too, he as ability equal to all the top Tight Ends. Maybe this is the year he gets it…I sure hope so.

17. joeytorontosucks says: May 31, 2012 6:05 PM

shouldn’t be too long till this loud-mouth gets traded… him and b-marshall had hands of stone last year

18. schmitty2 says: May 31, 2012 6:11 PM

Sorry,but if you cant develop chemistry with Aaron Rodgers there is basically no hope for you

19. tjphadd says: May 31, 2012 6:12 PM

Finley is NOT the reason Green Bay did not repeat last year. Look to the other side of the ball. Also, after his injury chemistry will be down, and drops will increase, definitely not as many as occurred though. People seem to forget the upside he has. Look back to the Ravens game three years ago, the Cardinals playoff game, the first few games two years ago, the Bears game at soldier last year. (I’ll stop)

However, upside isn’t an excuse for the dropped passes and J-Mike, much like a lot of the Packers team is young and has improvements to make, and I’m sure he will in the upcoming year(s).

20. woodyg says: May 31, 2012 6:21 PM

Jennings, Jordy, JJ, R. Cobb & finally DD.

Finley will never get all the opportunities to make him one of the league’s best TEs. The Pack will let him slide out of town after 2013.

21. muzzy27 says: May 31, 2012 6:22 PM

This guy is as dumb as a box of rocks.

His mind is on that puddy waitin’ for him at home after every game…….

22. irishgary says: May 31, 2012 7:14 PM

@textexington

I’m a Packer fan, but your post is stupid

23. garyman1 says: May 31, 2012 7:23 PM

Jermichael, if you were a QB and had Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and Donald Driver…and a tight end who drops too many passes, who would YOU throw to ?
    Quit talking and go do it on the field this year.

24. contra74 says: May 31, 2012 7:24 PM

textexington says:May 31, 2012 5:52 PM

——
    So you are saying Rodgers is the only reason the Packers even a blip on the radar by singling him out? As far as Im concerned, Rodgers and Ponder are the same considering they both didnt win the SB last year. So every year, you are going to write “Packers are gonna win Superbowl whatever” and hope it lands right? Vikings lucky to even win 3 games, go bet that in Vegas and see what happens.

Hey Packer fans…I mean TRUE Packer fans, this guy textexington is a joke and one of the reasons your fanbase is criticized on these boards. Im sure you guys are smart fans and all but this guy is not making it look like that. Hope your proud to have him waving your flag.

25. dragonlee29 says: May 31, 2012 8:53 PM

Hard to have chemistry when you drop as many balls as you did Jermichele…pick up some stickum before the season starts.

26. axespray says: May 31, 2012 9:11 PM

ortonwhiskeycrew says:May 31, 2012 5:02 PM
    “I don’t see how “freestyling” leads to improved focus, route running, and more catches.”

I think he meant not being too focused on the Routes and what not… like a Golfer thinking about other things when putting…

idk, I read somewhere about relaxed people being less prone to “choke” compared to guys that are “too” focused.

27. irishgary says: May 31, 2012 9:29 PM

@contra74

Yeah it’s kind of like when all of your psot said Championship when you had Favre.

How did that work out for you? Loser

28. packfan66 says: May 31, 2012 9:55 PM

old chinese proverb: better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and erase all doubt. wish they would have let this guy walk, he appears to be a cancer on this team. i call him T. O. jr. I would think if he would actually catch the ball, rodgers would throw it to him more often.

29. tangysizzl says: May 31, 2012 10:51 PM

Every team has some fans that give their fellow fans a bad name but I try not to judge a whole fan base by a few bad apples that comment on the internet.

Im sure everyone is sick of Finley talking, I know I am. I just hope he stops with the YOTTO crap and doesn’t go with version 3.0 LOL.

30. der6495 says: Jun 1, 2012 12:20 AM

His hands lacked chemistry with the ball.

31. philshady25 says: Jun 1, 2012 12:45 PM

contra74 says even though textington sounds like an idiot and I don’t agree with him whatsoever. You sound 10 times worse by saying Ponder and Rodgers are the “same” because neither won the Super Bowl last season. Ponder is garbage and Rodgers is the MVP. There’s a difference.