Ken Whisenhunt: I want Kevin Kolb to be our quarterback

Kevin+Kolb+Dallas+Cowboys+v+Arizona+Cardinals+tsGNPipHe3Dl Getty Images

The Cardinals are alternating Kevin Kolb and John Skelton with the first offense during OTAs, the tangible sign that the competition they promised is moving right along.

Some people had a hard time believing that the competition between the two men would truly be open. The basis for that doubt was the trade that sent a second-round pick and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Philadelphia for Kolb and the $19 million they’ve paid Kolb since the deal. On Thursday, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt addressed those doubts.

“I’ll be honest with you, I don’t think about that when you’re on the field,” Whisenhunt said, via Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic. “I don’t look at a player and think what’s he’s making or what you did to get him here. I look at them based on what kind of plays they’re making. I’ll be honest with you, I obviously know how much we invested in Kevin. I want Kevin to be successful. I want him to be our quarterback but I’m not going to ignore the fact that John Skelton worked pretty hard and did a good job in there when he was playing, too. He’s earned the right to compete for that spot.”

It’s a pretty honest answer from Whisenhunt about what goes through his mind when it comes to the quarterbacks. Saying that he wants Kolb to be the quarterback is natural given all they gave up for him, but he’s pretty clear that he won’t just get the job because of his contract. Having said that, the answer also makes you think Skelton’s going to have to be considerably better than Kolb in order to actually wind up as the starting quarterback come the first week of the season.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Ken Whisenhunt: I want Kevin Kolb to be our quarterback”
  1. kspl1 says: May 31, 2012 7:24 PM

Kolb is a bum

2. thegreatgabbert says: May 31, 2012 7:33 PM

“The last thing we expected was that a mediocre lifetime backup quarterback would be a less than mediocre starter when given the chance. It’s not something you expect.”.

3. fnc111 says: May 31, 2012 7:35 PM

Kolb will be the guy. He ran into some tough luck and a way more difficult schedule to play against than Skelton. Skelton got bailed out a bunch by Fitzgerald a lot in the second half of the season. A lot of OT games and Kolb was on the winning side of the cowboys one. It’s not his fault he had a concussion sideline him. Cardinals fans will be happy with KK if the coaching staff gives him the shot every Sunday. If he gets injured you know you have a solid couple back ups.

4. bucks12965 says: May 31, 2012 7:35 PM

Even if Kolb ‘wins’ the starting job, he’ll be riding the bench by week 3, because he sucks.

5. h4wksf4n says: May 31, 2012 7:57 PM

Thanks to Kolb Flynn market dropped a little.

6. pacificnw7722 says: May 31, 2012 8:05 PM

“Ken Whisenhunt: I want Kevin Kolb to be our quarterback.”

That might be true, but I doubt his noggin’ can take the beating………….

7. ramitbaby says: May 31, 2012 8:09 PM

You left out the second part of that quote? It should have read, “I want Kevin Kolb to be our quarterback….but John Skelton gives us the best chance of winning.”

8. joemontanawasthegreatest says: May 31, 2012 8:11 PM

Can kolb survive a whole season? He isn’t a very sturdy guy.

9. ramitbaby says: May 31, 2012 8:25 PM

John Skelton should be the starter. He had SIX 4th quarter or OT comeback wins in just 11 starts.

For comparison, my own Sam Bradford has had 1 4th quarter comeback in 25 starts.

10. jacksaysfu says: May 31, 2012 8:29 PM

Eagles fans are still laughing

11. bigredjbird says: May 31, 2012 8:47 PM

Eagles fans should be crying. Now that’s a team with issues

12. kingdm8 says: May 31, 2012 9:03 PM

I don’t think people realize how starved for a QB the Cards fans are. We haven’t had a long term answer at QB since Neil Lomax retired in 1988. Having Warner for a few years was obviously as good as we’ve had it. After seeing draft picks like Jake Plummer, Stoney Case, Timm Rosenbach, Josh McCown, John Navarre and Matt Leinart flop we’re due for one. Shoot, we’ve had more washed up QBs play for us than any team in the league over the past 20 years. Jim McMahon, Dave Kreig, Boomer Esiason, Chris Chandler… Can we just get ONE right!?!?!?

13. cali49er707 says: May 31, 2012 9:11 PM

joemontanawasthegreatest says:
    May 31, 2012 8:11 PM
    Can kolb survive a whole season? He isn’t a very sturdy guy.
    —————————— —————————— ——
    who cares about your point, you got my vote just for your name!!!

14. truths4all says: May 31, 2012 9:23 PM

Whisenhunt chose Kurt Warner over Lienart, the Card’s million dollar baby. Will he be wise enough to pick the best one to continue keeping his job? Most folks forget that Skelton played very well in the 4th quarter of his wins (100+ QB rating) despite getting virtually no snaps his rookie training camp, no OTAs or mini-camps due to the lockout, and no snaps last training camp (all of the snaps, training, and QB work was given to Kolb to try to get him up to speed due to the late in the pre-season trade timing). And to top it all off, remember that Skelton is the NFL draft pick in years from that football powerhouse known as Fordham where they ran a glorified junior college offense. With that bakground, what Skelton has accomplished is just short of amazing. I look forward to seeing how much he will improve after he participates in real OTAs, mini-camps, and real opportunities in training camp. Kolb can be good, but he has proven to be fragile and it is just a matter of time he will be out injured again (that’s his track record in the NFL). Certainly Kolb wants to earn out his big contract, but even he must see the trend where he gets progressively injured more severely each year.

15. dwoofer says: May 31, 2012 9:36 PM

The boss made it clear to Whiz last year that he had better get the Kolb issues straightened out or hit the road. Then, it just so happened Kolb got hurt, and Whiz had an excuse — and again when he got hurt the second time.

This “competition” is a joke. It’s Kolb all the way — to the unemployment line for Whiz if Kolb does not win games.

Skelton has a monster arm and the Cards simply respond better to him than to Kolb. Period.

16. 405benchpress says: May 31, 2012 9:37 PM

A second round pick is really the only thing the Eagles got from
    us that’s worth anything, the Catdinals got the only good two years of DRC career. DRC is the next Haynesworth, all the natural ability in the world but he doesn’t study, he doesn’t practice and he sure as hell doesn’t tackle. If we didn’t trade him for Kolb we would have got rid of him to somebody else. Ray Horton wouldn’t keep a DB like that. Peterson is what we needed in the secondary. Greg Toler will be back this year too and I would take him over DRC any day of the week.

17. kowboymiller says: May 31, 2012 9:56 PM

IT WILL B KOLB…BETCHA! Wow they have the D coming too. Just like Shelton had in 2nd half of season! Kolb would of won not having to go to OT!
    Book it! Write It! I said it! Not Brag, Just Fact!

18. fatfreddystubbs says: May 31, 2012 10:00 PM

“Eagles fans are still laughing”.

Really? I hope you mean at yourselves. You’re the same people that 2, 3 years ago were saying how great this guy was gonna be. All you little Garganos saying “I went to training camp at Lehigh, this guy has great feet, and i love his accuracy. This guy is gonna be great if he gets the chance”.

Then you wanted Vick cut in training camp in 2010. So, the same fans that scream “WE WERE RIGHT” on every post about another ex-Eagles QB now troll posts about the Cardinals? Pretty pathetic.

19. kowboymiller says: May 31, 2012 10:45 PM

I forgot look out NFC WEST!

20. rajbais says: May 31, 2012 11:18 PM

Kolb doesn’t deserve it because he was unwatchable on the field and he will not finish this season healthy!!!!

If Carson Palmer has a deep ball, but is turnover-prone. I described a guy that’s similar in strengths, but is not playing as well as John Skelton. Skelton should be rooted for and be given MORE support!!!

21. buddybowl69 says: May 31, 2012 11:36 PM

Kolb has never shown me that he has what it takes to be a starting QB, or even a backup for that matter. I don’t say this as a slam on him, I truly wanted him to succeed. Even in preseason games, he looked lost. When the Eagles made him their starting QB, I was hesitant, but was wishing for the best, but still having that feeling deep down that he wasn’t the answer.
    When he was traded to the Cards, I felt good for him, thinking that maybe a change of scenery would do him good. So far it doesn’t look promising, but I still wish him luck.
    Let’s put it this way, when A.J. Feeley came back to the Eagles, I was excited. If Kolb came back to the Eagles, I would cringe.

22. rubbernilly says: May 31, 2012 11:51 PM

Isn’t Skelton the one that put up virtually the same win/loss record as Tebow?

If so…

[sarcasm]
    Why is this even a question? All he does is win games. Give him the starting job and let’s get around to talking about his virginity and listening to what he has to say about metaphysical subjects.
    [/sarcasm]

23. discosucs2005 says: Jun 1, 2012 1:22 AM

So unless something drastic happens, Kolb is starting.

24. phillychzstk2012 says: Jun 1, 2012 4:32 AM

Eagles fans should be crying. Now that’s a team with issues

————————————————–

we’re not crying, we’re extremely happy that we got DRC and Mychal Kendricks in return for that dirt Kolb. dont act like the Eagles arent going to rape this year, you’re only fooling yourself.

25. randallflagg52 says: Jun 1, 2012 5:27 AM

Kinda a moot point since Whisenhunt will be fired well before this time next year and the new coaching staff will have a new QB to work with.

Sucks for Arizona fans because they aren’t bad enough to “Gaff for Matt” but will likely be picking somwhere between 6-15 and will have the choice of the likes of Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones, or Tyler Bray (ouch…). All second tier QB’s when compared to guys like Luck, Griffen and Barkley.

26. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Jun 1, 2012 6:43 AM

joemontanawasthegreatest says:
    May 31, 2012 8:11 PM
    Can kolb survive a whole season? He isn’t a very sturdy guy.
    —————————— —————————— ——
    who cares about your point, you got my vote just for your name!!!

——————

Football is in a sad state of affairs, all people care about are stats for Madden.

With the game on the line, there was never any better than Montana.