Ray Lewis thrilled to see his son a Miami Hurricane

AFC Championship - Baltimore Ravens v New England Patriots Getty Images

We’ve been so besieged recently by parents talking about how they wouldn’t want their kids playing football that it’s refreshing to hear the pride in the voice of Ray Lewis when he discusses his son getting a football scholarship to the University of Miami.

Lewis said in an interview with Michael Irvin on WQAM that he couldn’t be prouder of his son, a running back and linebacker named Ray Lewis III who will become a Hurricane in 2013.

There’s no greater reward, as a father,” Lewis said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “To walk into your alma mater and look at your baby — my baby — who was born on that campus. That’s what’s so special about what all happened. That boy was born on that campus my senior year, 1995. And when I walked him back there, [Miami coach Al Golden] looked at him and said, ‘We want you to be a Hurricane.’”

Lewis views having a son playing football as a blessing.

“All my hard work, all my pain, everything I’ve ever been through in life, God rewarded me that day,” Lewis said. “That thing right there, it kept motivating me all over again this offseason.”

Those who say they don’t want their sons to play cite the risks associated with the game of football. But there are also great rewards. And unlike many of the men who have been rewarded by the game of football and are now saying they wouldn’t want their sons to pursue those rewards, Lewis thinks one of the greatest rewards is that he gets to pass his passion for the game on to the next generation.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Ray Lewis thrilled to see his son a Miami Hurricane”
  1. lolb23 says: May 31, 2012 2:11 PM

Every parent should just stick their stupid kid in a bubble and get it over with. Afraid of life = not living one.

2. slizzyslizz says: May 31, 2012 2:11 PM

Regardless of your thoughts on Ray Lewis…it would be pretty cool to see Ray Ray on the same field as his son (albeit unlikely) in the NFL.

3. yevrag3535 says: May 31, 2012 2:11 PM

What a killer, what a killer…..

4. bullcharger says: May 31, 2012 2:12 PM

Can he last long enough to play in the NFL with his son? Doubtful (and who knows if his son is good enough) but that would be the coolest.

5. Steeley McBeam says: May 31, 2012 2:15 PM

Sounds like Ray Ray may play one more season then retire to focus on his sons career in 2013.

6. skin94249 says: May 31, 2012 2:16 PM

Hey Ray, congrats, I should be so lucky and proud.

7. dayumyou says: May 31, 2012 2:21 PM

considering the fact that Ray Ray has 6 children by 4 different women I think he’ll be playing in the NFL for as long as any team will him…..child support is a u know what isn’t it Ray Ray…

8. southpaw2k says: May 31, 2012 2:24 PM

While I doubt Ray will be around long enough to still be a player in the NFL by the time his son enters the league, I think it’d be pretty awesome if he got the opportunity to be a coach on the sidelines and coach his son. It’d be even more awesome if the Ravens were to draft his son eventually and keep the pedigree alive. Two generations of Ray Lewises on the Ravens.

9. daaabears says: May 31, 2012 2:26 PM

“That thing right there, it kept motivating me all over again this offseason.”
    ===================================
    Just what Ray needs, a little extra motivation.

10. brewcrewfan54 says: May 31, 2012 2:29 PM

I don’t have any problem with parents allowing their children to play football. I do have a problem with the people who think that kids who don’t play football have parents keeping them in a bubble.

11. thraiderskin says: May 31, 2012 2:30 PM

I hope Ray III is a beast, like his dad.

12. bluelifer says: May 31, 2012 2:31 PM

I am starting to think some of you are jealous that these guys are banging all these chicks …. ps . These guys can afford all tbese kids get over it takes money to make money and these guys have plenty

13. knowerofallthings says: May 31, 2012 2:34 PM

Great comments by the greatest LB to ever play the game.

14. sudz28 says: May 31, 2012 2:39 PM

I may not like the Ratbirds, and I may not be a fan of Ray Lewis, but as a father I can only imagine the pride and happiness I would feel to be in his same situation. Congrats Ray and son!

15. illbillgiantz4lif says: May 31, 2012 2:46 PM

I expect great things from the young man. Best wishes!

And also, has anyone done a YouTube search for Barry Sanders Jr.? Holy Crap!

16. schmitty2 says: May 31, 2012 3:07 PM

bluelifer says:May 31, 2012 2:31 PM

Yes..thats it moron..we are jealous. Here’s 2 names to remember when you try to convince yourself money is never a problem when it comes to paying child support-Terrell Owens and Antonio Cromartie. Heck, let’s toss in Travis Henry too

17. rockthered1286 says: May 31, 2012 3:12 PM

Now if this kid blows up in college and we can get RLIII to follow his daddy’s footsteps and end up a Raven? That would be insane!

18. SmurfJuice says: May 31, 2012 3:56 PM

Congrats, you should feel proud your son made the team.

The part I don’t like is The U giving a scholarship to him, when that scholarship could have allowed a less fortunate athlete to earn an education.

19. canesfan56 says: May 31, 2012 3:57 PM

Rays memory must be failing. He left Miami after his third year there. He started as a true freshman. He never made it to his senior year. Als-He has never graduated from college.

20. ravenator says: May 31, 2012 4:06 PM

Haters only wish Ray Lewis was on their team. Congrats to you and your family Ray Ray.

21. democratsarestupid says: May 31, 2012 4:19 PM

______________

Ray Lewis finished his degree at the University of Maryland after he was drafted by the Ravens. Alas, he has graduated from college

22. mistersmith22 says: May 31, 2012 4:21 PM

Michael, you’re framing the conversation wrong. It’s not about some players being “ungrateful” for the “rewards” of playing football. It’s about some parents saying, “hey I made a choice to do something dangerous, and maybe nobody even told me just how dangerous it really is. Knowing what I know from a position of experience, as a father I’d hope my child can find something equally as rewarding, just safer.”

23. morgan420 says: May 31, 2012 4:21 PM

I’m a bengals fan but also a parent and I can only hope that I could have a story as cool as this

24. mistersmith22 says: May 31, 2012 4:23 PM

canesfan56 says:
    May 31, 2012 3:57 PM

——————-

Wrong. Ray left Miami after his third year of eligibility but later completed his bachelor’s degree with the University of Maryland.

25. pacificamjr says: May 31, 2012 4:44 PM

If RL3 and OJ’s daughter had a kid, what would it look like? a chocolate charles manson???

26. stairwayto7 says: May 31, 2012 4:59 PM

He can teach his punk son on how to kill someone and have another take the fall!

27. SmurfJuice says: May 31, 2012 5:11 PM

Side note, Ochocinco just posted on OCNN that Puffy Combs’ son Justin has received a scholarship to UCLA for football.

28. steelymcbeam6 says: May 31, 2012 5:47 PM

Unlike pathetic moron fans like ravenator who can’t just take emotion out of it and have a valid opinion in regards to a team he hates….I respect the hell out of ray Lewis even tho he plays for a team i dislike. The guy is a beast. Have to put him up there with the best LBs of all time. I won’t miss him when he retires as a steelers fan but as a football fan I respect how that man plays the game and wish more players could be like him. (see how that’s done ravenator?)

29. steelymcbeam6 says: May 31, 2012 5:59 PM

Stairwayto7…stop being the ravenator of steelers fans please.

30. nje22 says: May 31, 2012 6:02 PM

Stairway is right-ray ray can teach him how to lie the polleece and then become a preacher
    Hope the kid blows out his knee getting out of ray’s limo

31. azheat says: May 31, 2012 6:05 PM

I think every parent should support their kids in what ever sport or activity the child would like to play.

I feel not letting a child play, is just as bad as making them play.

I coach a youth pop warner team ages 10 and 11. I ve been a head coach for 4 years, and Ive seen more injuries from bikes, skateboards and just messing around then I have seen on the football field.

The fact is – growing up and being a kid is dangerous. If every DANGEROUS job was removed from the world, what kind of world would we live in…

Besides the normal kid will probally not play football in college or the NFL. The life lessons that are learned from the game – out weight the negatives by far…

32. brewcrewfan54 says: May 31, 2012 9:08 PM

Azheat, while you can learn life lessons by playing football you can learn those same lessons by playing other sports as well. Its amaIng how many people seem to think football is the only sport you can learn life lessons from.

33. vincentbojackson says: May 31, 2012 10:23 PM

Would be cool to see him line up with his son in an NFL game. Just can’t see him playing effectively at that position for more than another season, maybe two.

34. cup1981 says: May 31, 2012 11:10 PM

I wonder if he is now teaching his son how to kill someone, hide the murder weapon, pin it on someone else and get off of the charges by turning snitch on someone else. Once a killer always a killer, and the entire world hopes the becoming a Hurricane is the ONLY thing his son follows his footsteps in…

35. mrksams says: May 31, 2012 11:59 PM

Ray Lewis = REAL football player!
    Finally a guy who isn’t saying he’s scared to have his kids play! Keep playing the way you play Ray, at least until GODdell bans the QB sack!!

36. brownbuddha says: Jun 1, 2012 1:22 AM

Thank you, Ray Ray. I’m trying to figure out why all these guys weren’t saying,”I dont want my son to play football” 2 years ago. Now it’s the big thing to talk about, so now they want to jump on that bandwagon.

37. exibitsman says: Jun 1, 2012 4:46 AM

That boy was born on that campus my senoir year. so i guess
    instead of studying he was screwing every b”tch he could get his
    nasty paws on. i have been so blessed ray lewis says you have
    been LUCKY getting away with what you did this guy is a phoney
    fake lil punk.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. joetoronto says: Jun 1, 2012 5:01 AM

May your son enjoy the game half as much as you do, Ray.

If he does, we’re all in for a treat.

39. go9ers says: Jun 1, 2012 8:43 AM

It’s great that Ray supports his son, and that his son earned a scholarship.

What’s not so great is that he’ll be going to such a scandal plagued, integrity lacking institution as the U.

40. tatum064 says: Jun 1, 2012 11:25 AM

Congratulations. Maybe Ray Ray can return the dominance and luster of the Canes the way pops once did. Here’s hoping he won’t make the same mistakes along the way.

Ray was one of the greatest ever to play the game, but it came at a cost to an unfortunate soul a few years later.

41. muzzy27 says: Jun 1, 2012 1:14 PM

thraiderskin says:May 31, 2012 2:30 PM

I hope Ray III is a beast, like his dad.

——————————————–

I hope Ray III isn’t a Knife Wielding Maniac, like his dad.

42. naanunaanu says: Jun 1, 2012 1:38 PM