Lengthy Sean Pamphilon diary seems to implicate Scott Fujita

10943812-large Getty Images

He’s back.

One day short of three months since the NFL disclosed the alleged existence of a bounty system in New Orleans and nearly two months since the name “Sean Pamphilon” became attached to it, Pamphilon has posted at his website a lengthy, rambling diary regarding his decision to release against the wishes of former Saints special-teams ace Steve Gleason the audio of former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ remarks before a January 2012 playoff game against the 49ers.

Though Pamphilon’s objective isn’t quite clear (unless he’s simply hoping to reset the 15-minute clock to 14:59), Pamphilon implicates former Saints linebacker Scott Fujita as a participant in the bounty culture that existed within the organization in 2009, Fujita’s final year with the team.

Pamphilon also claims that quarterback Drew Brees was involved in the communications regarding whether the audio would be released, and that Brees ultimately was opposed to it.

What follows is an effort to trim paragraphs of fat and get to the steak lurking in chunks within it.

And, like managing to devour each bite of a three-pound Porterhouse, I feel like there should be a prize of some sort for finishing all 10,000-plus words of Pamphilon’s post.

Keep in mind that the following summary comes only from Pamphilon’s allegations and/or recollections.  Fujita, Brees, and Gleason have not yet responded to Pamphilon’s version of the events.

1.  Despite being a member of the Browns, Fujita was present in the room for the Gregg Williams diatribe.  The video that goes with the audio shows Fujita sitting next to Gleason, smiling when players chanted “give it back!” upon receiving envelopes of cash from the prior weekend’s win over the Lions.

2.  After Williams spoke, Fujita said to Pamphilon, “I can’t believe I used to be that guy.”

3.  In an interview for Pamphilon’s documentary, The United States of Football, Fujita talked about whether he allow his child to play the game:  “If I had a son, f–k no I would never let him play football! And this is my journey my wife and I decided to take on.  But I wouldn’t want that for one of my kids.  No way in hell!”

4.  On March 7, Fujita said that he was “appalled” by the things Williams had said.  But Fujita did not believe at that point the audio should be released.  Still, Fujita admitted to Pamphilon that Fujita was once “semi-complicit” in the mindset reflected by Williams’ words.  Fujita believed that the issue was “an indictment on the culture of football, a big part of which is still archaic & has yet to evolve.”

5.  Fujita said that he watched the video of Williams’ remarks with his wife, that she was “shocked” by what she heard, and that they both cried while watching it.  “She said she felt sorry for me that I had been part of something for so long that made me desensitized to the suffering of another,” Fujita told Pamphilon.  “Her second thought:  People who say things like that to a group of impressionable men, shouldn’t be able to lead a group of impressionable men.”

6.  As of mid-March, Fujita still believed that Pamphilon should not release the audio, because of the stress it was creating for Steve Gleason and his wife, Michel.

7.  Eventually, the NFLPA learned of the audio.  Fujita told Pamphilon that the union plans to make the NFL aware of the existence of the tape, apparently as part of the “rogue coach” defense.  Pamphilon claimed that the NFL would be able to connect the dots back to him, which caused him to have “personal safety concerns,” if the tape were not publicly released.

8.  Pamphilon received a text message from Brees, who “wanted to reassure” Pamphilon.  Brees also asked, “How are you feeling?”

9.  As of a week later, Pamphilon had again decided to drop the issue.  On April 2, Fujita “re-engage[d]” Pamphilon, inquiring as to his “vision” for the release of the tape.  He later tells Pamphilon via text, “I’m convinced the league doesn’t really have sh-t on anybody.”

10.  On April 3, NFLPA lawyer Heather McPhee suggested via Fujita that, while the union wouldn’t tell Pamphilon to release the tape, if he were still considering doing so, he “might want to do it ‘the sooner the better.'”  At that point, Pamphilon called Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports, laying the foundation for releasing the Gregg Williams audio.

11.  Fujita told Pamphilon that Brees agrees the audio should be released the “sooner the better.”  Fujita continued to offer words of support and encouragement.

12.  On the evening of April 3, Brees called Pamphilon.  Instead of saying “the sooner the better,” Brees says we need to “wait for the right time” to release the audio.  Pamphilon says it’s too late to stop the process.

13.  The next day, Brees left Pamphilon a voice message, asking for a copy of the essay Pamphilon planned to post on his website when the audio was released.  Pamphilon ultimately refused, and Gleason then told Pamphilon that what he planned to do is “illegal” and that Gleason wa not giving permission for the audio to be released.

14.  On April 14, Fujita recommendeds that Pamphilon not cooperate with the league.  “I would ignore the NFL if I were you,” Fujita said via text message.  “They clearly want the tapes to see if there’s anything they can use to further implicate players, mainly because they don’t have sh-t, other than heresay [sic] and anecdotal evidence of tough talk.  I’ve been denying their request for an interview for weeks now because there’s nothing good that can come out of that.  That’s why it’ll be hilarious when I show up at their offices on Monday with the rest of the Executive Committee to discuss other issues.  No more NFL talk.  F–k them.”

15.  On May 17, Pamphilon went to the league office and played a portion of the video of Williams’ comments for NFL Security.  Pamphilon also allowed NFL Security to listen to the audiotapes.  In return, he asked the NFL to stop disseminating “incorrect information about me to anymore lapdog league journalists.”

16.  Pamphilon describes “the final straw” as Fujita’s comments to the media on May 23.  He points to Fujita’s assertion that the Williams audio “wasn’t evidence of anything, other than a coach saying some inappropriate things.”  Says Pamphilon:  “When he said that the tape wasn’t evidence of anything, I that felt like he stuck his football helmet up my ass and through my ribcage.  It hurt that much.  If this  was true, then why did we spend so much time and energy on this issue?  Why did it resonate so strongly with our culture, including those who don’t cheer for the home team on Sunday’s?  This was the first time he had spoken on-camera since the Bounty Gate scandal broke.  It was two and a half months since he and his wife were crying in bed and lamenting the fact that he had been ‘semi-complicit’ in a football culture that ‘desensitized’ him to the suffering of another.”

Of those 10,000-plus words, nine are particularly damning for Fujita:  “I can’t believe I used to be that guy.”

Fujita could deny that he said the words, and that he said or did anything else that would represent an admission of past involvement in a bounty program.  But it’s safe to say that Pamphilon will soon be asked to testify at the eventual appeal hearings.

From the players’ perspective, that could be the best strategy.  Given Pamphilon’s inability to be concise, his testimony could last long enough to allow each of them to finish their NFL careers before the hearings end.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Lengthy Sean Pamphilon diary seems to implicate Scott Fujita”
  1. jasonvining says: Jun 1, 2012 3:14 PM

What a joke. Just as it was odd that he waited so long to release the audio (at a very opportune time I might add), it is also very odd that it took him this long to explain why he released it.

He’s a guy trying to get that 16th minute of the spotlight.

2. pickleman77 says: Jun 1, 2012 3:14 PM

The Saints. What a great organization. I wish I was from New Orleans so they could be MY team.

3. daysend564 says: Jun 1, 2012 3:16 PM

Time to extend Fujita’s vacation

4. pa1856 says: Jun 1, 2012 3:19 PM

The saints had a bounty system for 3 years, somebody better let Jonathan Vilma know!?

5. theghostofberniekosar says: Jun 1, 2012 3:20 PM

As a Browns fan, I hope they cut Fujita ASAP.

6. herlies says: Jun 1, 2012 3:20 PM

One by one, all of these liars will be exposed.

7. cullenand99 says: Jun 1, 2012 3:22 PM

I’m calling BS on this guy

8. dlc618 says: Jun 1, 2012 3:22 PM

Drew Knew…

9. geezohman says: Jun 1, 2012 3:24 PM

when its a deep as it is, its time for certain players to get a ‘lawyer’. Even John Edwards was a lawyer and still sought out legal assistance.

10. scottpavek says: Jun 1, 2012 3:24 PM

uhm, Brees something something evidence, “where is the evidence?”, etc.

11. steelernationisthepinnacleofexistenceyouarenothing says: Jun 1, 2012 3:26 PM

People can debate about this all they want but only one thing matters and that is the Steelers are superior. You will just have to live with that. Sorry for the broken hearts and shattered dreams.

12. Steeley McBeam says: Jun 1, 2012 3:26 PM

Awesomeeeee!!

13. ilovefoolsball says: Jun 1, 2012 3:28 PM

Pamphilon is an opportunist worried only about his own hide.
    I really despise people like him. I wish that Fujita would’ve “stuck his football helmet up Pamphilon’s ass and through his ribcage”.

Hell I got 5 on it to see that!

14. eagleswin says: Jun 1, 2012 3:29 PM

If true, quite the insight into what happened regarding the release of the video.

Quite contrary to the initial impression that was portrayed that Pamphilon decided (with a mystery advisor) to release the video, the NFLPA and Drew Brees knew about and were involved in the decision to release the video.

One would think that Drew Brees, who claimed total ignorance on the bounty situation, would not have gotten involved in managing Pamphilon and the video tape to the point of trying to control what got released and when.

15. dallas001 says: Jun 1, 2012 3:31 PM

WHOA !!! Don’t I remember Drew Brees crying about more EVIDENCE ? Better sign that tender offer before it’s too late !!!! Maybe Loomis knew something we all know now !!

16. maddog111 says: Jun 1, 2012 3:34 PM

Fujita told Pamphilon. “Her second thought: People who say things like that to a group of impressionable men, shouldn’t be able to lead a group of impressionable men
    ————————————————
    Very well said Mrs. Fujita.

17. spartan822 says: Jun 1, 2012 3:39 PM

I’m not surprised at all that Brees knew about the evidence before it was made public. But I’m sure he still wants an explanation.

18. northeastkiller says: Jun 1, 2012 3:40 PM

This guy is just a fameseeking gloryhound with delusions of grandeur and pissed he hasn’t been treated like some sort of whistleblowing hero. GW being a blowhard and issuing ridiculous edicts that weren’t carried out on the field – repeat, WEREN’T CARRIED OUT ON THE FIELD – looks like a jerk, and Pamphilon with his changing stories and motives behind releasing the tape also looks like a jerk.

19. northeastkiller says: Jun 1, 2012 3:45 PM

Yeah, “Drew Knew”…about a tape showing a coach going over the top in trying to rev up his players, NOT a pay-for-injury bounty system. In the words of this guy himself, “In the interest of full disclosure: The only reason why I beeped out the audio for the names of the Saints players is because they were getting paid for performance bonuses, $200 for turnovers was the biggest haul I heard. This is a LONG-held league wide practice and in the mind of any reasonable person without an ax to grind, in no way should it be mentioned in the same sentence as a ‘Bounty.’ PERIOD. End of Story.” – 4/4/2012

Wait until this story blows over and his career goes further in the toilet because of his clearly being someone who will stab you in the back. Suddenly “whack hits” will become targeted bounties and Brees will know everything.

20. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Jun 1, 2012 3:51 PM

Brees is now 100% guilty of knowing about the Bounty system in the court of public opinion

21. jetstizzi85 says: Jun 1, 2012 3:55 PM

Why does it matter when he released the audio and evidence? Thankfully he did in general

22. northlawhodat says: Jun 1, 2012 3:57 PM

Goodell to Pamphilon: Quick, quick I need something else to get to the media. My once seemingly strong case has dwindled down to heresay. Make it interesting too. Include Drew Brees name so that all the google searches on Drew will pull it up. I got to go to court and right now the public opinion is not favored as much for me now as it was when the tape was leaked. I’m afraid the people will figure out I have no real evidence so c’mon make everybody go back to hating the Saints, not me. Please………… And as a bonus, you get your name in the papers and media’s mouth again.

WHO DAT FOR FREAKIN LIFE!

23. purpleguy says: Jun 1, 2012 3:58 PM

Fujita is a classic example of how an NFL player’s public persona put on for NFL fans often differs from the player’s real persona.

24. 49erstim says: Jun 1, 2012 3:58 PM

Soooo…. Drew Brees does NOT need an explanation?….

Wow. I love the spin by fans on here blaming Pamphilon…like he doctored the evidence…. I hope he has proof. Lol

25. greenmachine14 says: Jun 1, 2012 4:03 PM

Almost as sick of hearing about bounty gate as i am about Drew Brees’ contract…. saints= 6-10

26. nflfan555 says: Jun 1, 2012 4:05 PM

Fujita was so freakin arrogant about his innocence – what a clown. Lifetime Ban, PERIOD!!!!!

27. northeastkiller says: Jun 1, 2012 4:15 PM

You people deliberately misrepresenting the content of the GW speech with “evidence” of a pay-for-injury bounty system are being absurd. Nowhere in that speech is there “hey guys, $10K on Frank Gore!” Nowhere in that speech is “hey guys, $25K to take out Crabtree!” It’s an idiot saying that if players are hurt, the Saints have a better shot of winning. Even Pamphilon says that – for now, at least, until he doesn’t get a hero’s welcome from ESPN again. That’s different, as much as you want to click the thumbs down symbol when someone lets a little air in the echo chamber. As much as you don’t like to acknowledge that fact, clearly you don’t like to acknowledge another fact, that the Saints’ ACTIONS against the Niners were blatantly in contrast to GW’s WORDS.

28. biggestredmiami says: Jun 1, 2012 4:16 PM

Why is everyone jumping to conclusions based on the statements made by this clown?

29. medtxpack says: Jun 1, 2012 4:19 PM

Now all i can think about is if Mrs Fujita is hot or not…

30. moagecu says: Jun 1, 2012 4:29 PM

biggestredmiami says:
    Jun 1, 2012 4:16 PM
    ______

Would you rather people people jump to conclusions based on comments from grown men who cannot own up to doing anything wrong?

Not saying they were trying to injure players, but they clearly participated in something frowned upon/illegal, and all we hear from them is denial.

While their coaches and GM have admitted to having something illegal in place.

31. horsecore says: Jun 1, 2012 4:39 PM

How soon before Fujita blames his comments and behavior on the concussions he suffered while playing the game and then promptly sues the NFL?

32. northeastkiller says: Jun 1, 2012 4:45 PM

Of course, pay-for-performance bonus payments is itself illegal, just correcting the long held misconception that any staff admitted to pay-for-injury bounties. They did not.

33. macbull says: Jun 1, 2012 4:46 PM

Sean Pamphilon just discovered he had a diary pertaining to Bountygate ?

Watch it, the ink is not completely dry on the last 5,000 words of Pamphilon’s newly discovered diary.

34. gdfbar says: Jun 1, 2012 4:48 PM

I am glad that the tape got out, but I don’t think very highly of the Pamphilon fellow. If he was really that upset about it he would have done something with the tape before the issue had been exposed. Instead he waited until the situation had already become a raging inferno, threw gas on it and wrote his name in the ashes. His name is out there now, everybody knows who he is now. He will probably write a book about the whole thing and rake in the cash.

Showing the tape the NFL, and NFL PA was the right thing do to, but I don’t think that he did it for the right reasons. It’s like if a guy witnessed a crime, and didn’t say anything. Weeks later with the suspect behind bars, the witness comes forward and wants to get his name in all of the papers and go on the Today Show to tell his story. He knew the whole time, and didn’t think to share the info until it could benefit him. Not a hero, probably not a good human being.

35. darthhitman77 says: Jun 1, 2012 4:53 PM

“I take full responsibility for my actions” – Sean Payton

“I take full responsibility for my actions” – Gregg Williams

“There was no bounty system” – Darren Sharper

“I need more evidence” – Drew Brees

“The Saints are innocent” – WhoDat Nation

QUESTION: If there’s no fire to this smoke then might I ask exactly what in the F%$K

36. redhearring says: Jun 1, 2012 4:57 PM

F-Off Mike Florio.

“My job is so hard, I have to read 10,000 words. All of which only incriminate the players I have been defending for 1,000+ articles since I’ve heard about it”

STOP DEFENDING THEM. They got caught, it doesn’t matter how many other teams did it, it was wrong. Its like when one person gets pulled over for speeding, yes, everyone is guilty, but someone has got to pay the ticket.

37. kairn42 says: Jun 1, 2012 6:30 PM

While Jerruh isn’t willing to ‘go all Al Davis’ on the NFL…I do believe that the NFL is preparing to ‘go all Al Davis’ on Fujita, Vilma, et al.

38. tweeter75 says: Jun 1, 2012 6:40 PM

I’m trying to be objective here because I haven’t seen all the evidence, etc. like the rest of us.

Either guys like Fujita and Vilma should come clean and salvage some integrity, and self-respect. I would respect them if they came clean and admitted what they did….and from what we’ve seen the league obviously thinks they did a lot.

The constant denials and NFL bashing by those two is making them look far worse.

If all the evidence comes out, and there is concrete evidence against Vilma and Fujita, after all their denials and Vilma’s lawsuit, they’re names are mud. They’re finished.

39. violentbynature says: Jun 1, 2012 7:41 PM

Everytime I see or hear Brees, Fujita, or Vilma in denial, it reminds me of Rafael Palmeiro at the Senate hearings on steroids.

40. panamon says: Jun 1, 2012 9:07 PM

“I’m going to report a ton of news for clicks and comments from this guy who did basically nothing wrong but disagree with him despite him being much much closer to the situation than I ever was!”

The funny thing is that you’re against this but the amount of articles EVER involving this man are topped on a weekly basis here by sensationalism and misquotes turned into entire stories like “I MIGHT have traded for Orton IF…” somehow being revisionist history and deserving an article BASED around criticism of the invalid point. Also this WILL be deleted since it makes a point you don’t want made, despite it being obvious you intentionally influence the readers here often with BS news and analysis as well as silencing dissenters consistently.

41. cowboyscanada says: Jun 1, 2012 9:41 PM

The denials of Brees etc etc are laughable!

People would respect Brees a lot more if he told the truth! Saints fans are about as classy as the classless Brees.
    Terminate this disgrace of a feanchise!

42. biglebronski says: Jun 1, 2012 11:28 PM

Seems to me that Scott Fujita is talking out both sides of his mouth. I’ve thought for a long time that he is the “rat,” and the more I hear conflicting reports about him the more I believe it.

43. nfl4days says: Jun 2, 2012 11:30 AM

Alright I’ve read the same article in 3 different places, and they all say drew and Scott WANTED to release the tape so someone needs to get the story straigh