Michael Vick will try to talk Jason Babin out of running with the bulls

RNPS IMAGES OF THE YEAR 2011 Reuters

Eagles defensive end Jason Babin is planning a trip to Pamplona, Spain, next month to participate in the Running of the Bulls. That gives Michael Vick a month to convince him to stay home.

Vick, who could have used a teammate talking him out of his own animal misadventures a few years ago, told Philly.com on Thursday that he thinks the risk of a goring or trampling outweighs the rewards of living out a Hemingway-inspired fantasy.

I’m going to try to talk him out of it, if it’s the truth,” Vick said. “I would much rather have him on my team this year than have anything catastrophic happen, so we’re going to keep him on the safe side.”

Babin, however, sounds like his mind is made up.

It’s kind of a rite of passage,” Babin said. “It’s a stamp. I guess in my brain I have a figurative ‘man card’ that’s got certain punches that need to be punched out.”

Other teammates sound resigned to the fact that when Babin has his mind made up to do something, he’s going to do it.

“That’s Babin for you,” wide receiver Jeremy Maclin said. “I wouldn’t do anything like that, personally.”

Asked if NFL players sign contracts that prohibit them from dangerous activities, Eagles center Jason Kelce said he doubts that matters to Babin.

“I’m sure we do, but I don’t think he cares,” Kelce said. “Babin’s a crazy dude, and he’s going to do anything to put his life in jeopardy.”

On the field, where Babin was third in the league last year with 18 sacks, the Eagles like that reckless attitude. On the cobblestone streets of Pamplona, where Babin will be chased by opponents five times the size of an offensive lineman, the Eagles would prefer that he reconsider.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Michael Vick will try to talk Jason Babin out of running with the bulls”
  1. akhhorus says: Jun 1, 2012 8:33 AM

“Listen Jason, the only way you should be involved with animals in a competitive sense is if you’re handling the money”

2. kevinb73 says: Jun 1, 2012 8:38 AM

I don’t know what is more stupid. Babin, or that Vick thinks he can influence him not to go.

3. anhdazman says: Jun 1, 2012 8:40 AM

Jason, you should ask the Eagles will they still pay you if you get injured during this stunt.
    You’re taking a big risk. I’d say the same thing as hopping onto a motorcycle. As a team mate of the Eagles, you have a responsibility to make sure you’re ready for the up coming season. Getting trampled by Bulls isn’t a very smart choice.

Why don’t you wait until you retire, then do a publicity stunt to make extra cash.

4. AlanSaysYo says: Jun 1, 2012 8:41 AM

I don’t think “misadventure” is the word I would use to describe Michael Vick killing dogs.

5. pftcensorssuck says: Jun 1, 2012 8:42 AM

———————————————————-

6. rufustfireflyjr says: Jun 1, 2012 8:45 AM

If he’s willing to accept the risks involved (loss of life or limb, cancellation of his contract if he gets hurt), I say more power to him. Freedom also means the freedom to screw up, and to live with the consequences.

7. macwomack says: Jun 1, 2012 8:47 AM

Like bullfighting I tend to root for the bull… with Jason Babin in the mix I will pull for the bulls even more.

Now there are people that would say that is spiteful – but why not root for the bulls at these kind of events.

8. macwomack says: Jun 1, 2012 8:48 AM

In the words of Florio;s favorite politician…. “Barbaric! Barbaric!”

9. skoobyfl says: Jun 1, 2012 8:50 AM

There’s always a dog in the hunt during this event.

10. snowpea84 says: Jun 1, 2012 8:51 AM

As Vick knows, animal sports are only meant for animal v animal. If a man wants to get involved he should bring something with a current…and have them chained up. Now that’s sport.

11. tubaplayingprof says: Jun 1, 2012 8:53 AM

Considering all he risks by doing that at this point of his life and during what is a limited opportunity to make obscene amounts of money, I would think he has a “boy card.” Running with the bulls shouldn’t be on a man’s card along with: what’s best for my teammates, my team, our fans, my career, my family, etc.

12. kevsright says: Jun 1, 2012 8:57 AM

Don’t worry, Vick. Babin isn’t planning to kill the bulls.. :mrgreen:

13. hankstramjr says: Jun 1, 2012 8:57 AM

Oh Jason, I thought you said Pit Bulls. Nevermind.

14. b7p19 says: Jun 1, 2012 8:58 AM

“I guess if a guy wants to risk tearing an ACL and having the Iggles not pay him millions of dollars as a result, and willing to hurt his teammates by doing something that drunken 19 year olds do, then I guess there’s not much of brain in there to worry about.”

While I agree with your general premise, you need to understand that the running of the bulls is not just done by drunken 19 year olds. It’s part of the Spanish culture. Just because most people don’t understand it (count me in on that) doesn’t mean it’s not important to others.

15. rickastleydancemoves says: Jun 1, 2012 8:59 AM

I for one will not feel the least bit of sympathy if he gets gored or has a career ending injury. Hey, he only has millions to lose.

16. kacapaco says: Jun 1, 2012 9:00 AM

Vick is saying ‘Babin is wrong. I know better what is good/bad for Babin & and will advise him. If he goes there, that is poor decision.’ If I were Babin, I will tell Vick ‘shut the **k. Despite dog killing, this is pretty legal hobby.’

17. kidmetroid says: Jun 1, 2012 9:05 AM

Maybe wait until your NFL career is complete before punching that particular part of the man card.

18. realitypolice says: Jun 1, 2012 9:05 AM

Don’t these guys realize that they will be out of football before they are 40 years old at the latest?

What part of “you’ll still have another 40 years or so to do stupid crap like get chased by angry bulls” doesn’t he comprehend?

19. dogluverssuck says: Jun 1, 2012 9:09 AM

Don’t you DUMB dog lovers know by now that Mike Vick is Mr. Nfl? Give it up, you lost this argument when he became a starter again and signed another 100 million dollar contract.

Can dogs talk?

Can dogs vote?

Will your dog bite your dumb butt if you don’t feed them?

Dogs are just animals, nothing more, nothing less.

20. dawglb says: Jun 1, 2012 9:09 AM

If you get jacked up by a bull, there goes your future NFL concussion law suit.

21. dogluverssuck says: Jun 1, 2012 9:14 AM

I take it that all you animal lovers are Vegans?

Right?

No bacon & eggs…….

No burgers……

No hot dogs….

No big juicy steaks on the grill…..

HYPOCRITS….HA HA.

22. larrydavid7000 says: Jun 1, 2012 9:14 AM

I hope this dumb ass goes over their and gets gored.out for the season.

23. therealbleedcoltsblue says: Jun 1, 2012 9:16 AM

“Vick, who could have used a teammate talking him out of his own animal misadventures a few years ago…”

Is beating a dead dog worse than beating a dead horse?

#youmakethecall

24. bleed4philly says: Jun 1, 2012 9:21 AM

Always something with this team!

25. mungman69 says: Jun 1, 2012 9:21 AM

Jason: Do it after you retire.

26. nickyleacy says: Jun 1, 2012 9:27 AM

Ah cool, i’ll be in Pamplona for the summer! San fermin is one of the best festivals in the world, why wouldnt he come.

Also, for the people saying he has another 40 years to do it….he’s running with bulls! do you want to do that when you’re 60?

27. joetoronto says: Jun 1, 2012 9:28 AM

“I’m going to try to talk him out of it, if it’s the truth,” Vick said. “I would much rather have him on my team, electrocuting innocent dogs.”

28. bluefan204 says: Jun 1, 2012 9:28 AM

Mike doesn’t want him to go until he can find a way to see some odds and where the money is flowing. Can’t blame a guy for wanting to make money by someone/something getting hurt or killed, right?

29. worldchampsbaby says: Jun 1, 2012 9:36 AM

Jason,

Run with those bulls.I did it in 1984 and it was an incredible experience.The “run”was only a partof the experience.The culture,the food,the comraderie all was awesome.Have a blast and stay safe.

Jason”s dad

30. jutts says: Jun 1, 2012 9:37 AM

Kabasa sensor says:

Now there’s a real “Football Story”….

31. schmitty2 says: Jun 1, 2012 9:46 AM

Babin is crazy enough that he might just try and sack one of the bulls

32. redrew says: Jun 1, 2012 9:52 AM

Go!!!!
    Have fun!!!
    Enjoy!!!!

33. bc01red says: Jun 1, 2012 9:54 AM

As a Giants fan I fully support Babin running with the bulls. Dont listen to Vick, he doesnt know what he is talking about. Running with the bulls wont put you in harms way.

34. bhindenemylines says: Jun 1, 2012 10:06 AM

Babin may be a great football player, but not much of an intellectual. Don’t know why he or any other professional athlete would want to risk their career on such a dangerous stunt.

If I were the eagles brass I would sit him down at a table, pull out his signed contract, and underline and make him read the non-football injury clause three times out loud.

When he is done I would ask him “Do you understand that your contract says that if you do this and get hurt that we do not have to pay you?”, and get him to sign an acknowledgment with his agent sitting next to him.

If his answer is yes and he still does it, then it is on him.

And if he gets hurt doing it, it will definitely be #1 on the NFL’s newest special “Top 10 Bone-Headed Non-Football Decisions”.

35. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Jun 1, 2012 10:09 AM

Gonna be funny as hell if he gets gored by a bull.

36. reason35 says: Jun 1, 2012 10:13 AM

Does anyone who commented on this piece (or even the writer??) know what goes on at the running of the bulls? The only thing people usually see is the footage of of people running alongside the bulls and naturally everyone jumps to the conclusion that Babin will be in some sort of danger.

The reality of the running of the bulls is this: THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of people take part in this event and there is a very small chance that you ever actually SEE a bull, let alone be in a position to be hurt by one. The course set up for the running is usually very short, and *most* people will find themselves separated by LOTS of other people, with about a half a mile to run. You simply run a short distance, never see a bull, finish in the arena with no danger whatsoever, and you “ran with the bulls”.

37. dobberdubinsky says: Jun 1, 2012 10:19 AM

I’ve been to Pamplona for the running of the bulls. The line of people in front of the bulls is about mile long. Unless Babin gets to the check-in place very early and is placed within a few hundred yards of the bulls, he really has no worries at all. Have fun Babin, San Fermin as they call it in Spain is one helluva party!

38. arzcardinals says: Jun 1, 2012 10:21 AM

I ran with the bulls in 2001 in Pamplona. It’s a priceless experience. If you do it properly you’ll be fine. If you go in drunk and crazy that’s when you get hurt. Very few people get injured and many go into the ‘pit’ area and just hang on the wall. Just because he’s going to the running of the bulls does not mean he’s running….nor does it mean he’s going to try to touch a bull.
    It is a man card punch when completed proper.

39. laeaglefan says: Jun 1, 2012 10:36 AM

I don’t worry so much about him getting gored by a bull as I do about him blowing out a knee while trying to run away from the bulls. If there isn’t one already, there should be a clause in players’ contracts specifically prohibiting them from voluntarily participating in off the field activities that are considered dangerous.

40. bass1717 says: Jun 1, 2012 10:48 AM

dogluverssuck says:
    Jun 1, 2012 9:14 AM
    I take it that all you animal lovers are Vegans?

Right?

No bacon & eggs…….

No burgers……

No hot dogs….

No big juicy steaks on the grill…..

HYPOCRITS….HA HA.
    —————————————-

BIG DIFFERENCE…….Vick personally tortured and killed for fun and money……humans, which Vick is not, do not do what he did……some animals are killed so humans can survive by eating them

41. amaf21 says: Jun 1, 2012 10:48 AM

Vick to Babin: “Don’t run with the bulls. They kill them at the end.”

42. duncanthecat says: Jun 1, 2012 10:53 AM

Dude,

Man up and do it. Talk is talk. Watching it from a balcony won’t cut it. We want to see you grab some tails.

43. sonopazzo6 says: Jun 1, 2012 10:55 AM

Jason………first I want to see you run down Broad Street with the Lombardi in your hands……..then you can go run with the bulls……..nuff said!

44. thomasj173 says: Jun 1, 2012 11:29 AM

I ran last year and it was awesome. Nothing motivates you like hearing a Spaniard yell “TORO!”and then a 1 ton bull running at you. One of the best trips of my lfe. Highly recommend it.

45. conormacleod says: Jun 1, 2012 12:02 PM

Just another reason why I look to the NFL and their players to supply me with entertainment for a 3 hour period each week, and for absolutely nothing else.

46. choice1329 says: Jun 1, 2012 12:34 PM

kevsright says:
    Jun 1, 2012 8:57 AM
    Don’t worry, Vick. Babin isn’t planning to kill the bulls..

___________________________________
    ___________________________________

Who gives a dam whether they kill the bulls or not, I sure you don’t

47. CKL says: Jun 1, 2012 12:37 PM

@reason35
    “Now if you REALLY want to punch your man card you do what the real Spaniards are out there to do, run alongside the bulls carrying just a newspaper as distraction. Bulls have excellent peripheral vision but can’t turn their heads very far. You can run *with* them, but if they turn on you you distract them with the newspaper or object in your hand. I can’t imagine why anyone would do this, or that Babin will actually do this, but if he does then hats off to him, that’s a real man.”
    ___________________________________
    That’s funny. My definition of a “real man” is one who lives up to his major responsibilities one of which in his case is not endangering himself (even if it is as you say, not a large chance) doing something totally unnecessary that may cause 52 other teammates not to be able to have him out there doing his job. That’s actually the definition of “selfish”. And as other people have pointed out, he can do it at 40 because he likely won’t be playing football then. He’s punching the “macho card”, not the “man card” IMO.

48. choice1329 says: Jun 1, 2012 12:38 PM

kacapaco says:
    Jun 1, 2012 9:00 AM

___________________________________
    ___________________________________
    Sure its legal any sport white folks like (regardless to how barbaric) its legal. When the government finds a way to tax dogfighting that will be legal too.

49. choice1329 says: Jun 1, 2012 12:43 PM

___________________________________
    ___________________________________

Exactly, which is what I just said before, as long as it something white folks want its legal, in this case your ass wants to eat, so its legal. But then I guess since you folks are less than human its easy to make the determination.

50. wtfchiefs says: Jun 1, 2012 1:14 PM

I’m planning on going in 2014. Go for it dude!