Osi Umenyiora, Giants agree to restructured contract

Osi+Umenyiora+Super+Bowl+XLVI+Media+Day+ca5QPleytvll Getty Images

Osi Umenyiora can stop complaining about his old contract and start complaining about his new one.

The Giants announced Friday afternoon that they have agreed to a restructured contract with Umenyiora, whose dissatisfaction with his previous deal has been a running storyline for the last several seasons. The Giants did not reveal terms of the deal, but Umenyiora is expected to join the team for Organized Team Activities on Monday.

“This gives me peace of mind, definitely,” Umenyiora said in a statement released by the team. “We just resolved a situation. It really was affecting me in a bad way. Because I didn’t like all the negativity that was surrounding the whole situation. I couldn’t stand it, because if you know me, you know I’m not that type of person. I’m just happy all that is over with and I’ll be there. I’ll play out this contract, I’ll play this year and I’ll play my heart out.”

The announcement comes on the heels of the news that Umenyiora recently parted ways with his agent, so it will be interesting to learn exactly how the two sides agreed to restructure the contract. Umenyiora’s comment about playing this year and playing out (as well as calling it a restructuring and not an extension) the contract suggests that he’s getting more money for 2012 without anything longer term, although that’s just speculation at this point.

What isn’t speculation is that the defending champs will have all their defensive linemen on the field starting Monday and that’s definitely a good thing for their attempt to defend the title.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Osi Umenyiora, Giants agree to restructured contract”
  1. percell1 says: Jun 1, 2012 5:24 PM

This is great news, now its time to get back to the business of repeating.

2. benh999 says: Jun 1, 2012 5:24 PM

Maybe the NFLPA should have a more rigorous process for certifying agents and hold them accountable, rather than the teams, when players complain about how bad their contracts are. What these guys try to do is basically equivalent to going back to a store after buying something, complaining they paid too much, and asking for some of the money back.

3. nflofficeadmin says: Jun 1, 2012 5:26 PM

Giants really are a class organization.

4. jdandcoke says: Jun 1, 2012 5:35 PM

basically though, it appears that osi is still only going to be a giant for one more year. at least he’ll be happy this year but it still kind of blows knowing that he is still probably leaving.

5. nygdriveforfive says: Jun 1, 2012 5:53 PM

Despite all the complaining he deserved a new contract.

6. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 1, 2012 5:54 PM

They’ll extend him before the season is over, especially if he starts the season on fire..

7. dgleighton says: Jun 1, 2012 6:30 PM

nygdriveforfive says: Jun 1, 2012 5:53 PM

Despite all the complaining he deserved a new contract.

——————————————————
    He and anyone else that signs a contract diverse what they signed for until that contract runs out.

8. elifan4life says: Jun 1, 2012 6:30 PM

makes me wonder if Reese didn’t like his old agent?this deal got done awfully fast after Osi fired his old agent.

9. fuaholes says: Jun 1, 2012 6:42 PM

This guy is a whiny DB, just like all NY’ers.

The Giants SB run was pure luck. Open your eyes Eli.

10. realtimeeyes says: Jun 1, 2012 6:56 PM

Why do players even have multi-year contracts? When they don’t preform, the team releases them. When players out perform their contracts, they hold out. I’m really tired of the phrase “out performed his contract”..So you played at a high level..Thanks for trying!

11. bigbluefan1 says: Jun 1, 2012 8:03 PM

fuaholes says:Jun 1, 2012 6:42 PM

This guy is a whiny DB, just like all NY’ers.

The Giants SB run was pure luck. Open your eyes Eli
    _______________________________
    Eli said he was elite and proved it
    Luck is the guy in Indy who will be running for his life all season.

And as for all NYers being whiny where did you team finsh mr sour grapes.

96 days and the banner will be raised and another Trophy in the case

12. armchairqb says: Jun 1, 2012 8:52 PM

Now … please pony up some dough to Victor Cruz. We need him happy, too.

13. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 1, 2012 9:39 PM

Dear Fuaholes,

On behalf of the City and State of New York, we extend our deepest apologies for the rough treatment you were subjected to on your last visit. While we don’t condone the actions of the men who beat you up and obsconded with your girlfriend, we can’t help but suggest you stop being a sissy and grow some stones. Again our deepest apologies and hopes that you stop being a strawberry and visit again soon!

Best Wishes,
    The Citizens of New York.

14. bubbasmithguy says: Jun 1, 2012 10:14 PM

Maybe he will finally shut up.

15. allnightdwight says: Jun 1, 2012 10:28 PM

Awesome. Here’s hoping he celebrates with a tall, refreshing glass of shut the@#$% up.

16. mindcrime401 says: Jun 1, 2012 10:42 PM

“…I didn’t like all the negativity that was surrounding the whole situation. I couldn’t stand it, because if you know me, you know I’m not that type of person. ”

Hmm, remind me again who was the one spouting the negativity to the media any chance he got? But I forgot, you’re not that type of person.

17. atchick says: Jun 2, 2012 2:00 AM

Osi’s new agent clued him in to the fact that his injury stunted season would influence his options for other teams. I love what he did last year when he came back, and I love that he is back this year. He’s gonna work his a$$ off for other teams to want to pick up the contract he thinks he should have. Osi…..you have finally learned not to bite the hand that feeds you!