Suh hopes to show “the true person I am”

AP

The string of offseason problems for Lions players has obscured the fact that Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had more than a few issues of his own during his second NFL campaign.  One of his goals in 2012 (and beyond, presumably) is to prove that last season was an aberration.

I want to show the true person I am,” Suh said Sunday at the Detroit Grand Prix, via the Detroit News. “Obviously, you see me here interacting.  You see me in the city of Detroit.”

Suh served as the grand marshal at the race.  Race chairman Bud Denker gave Suh a $5,000 check for his upcoming youth football camp, for children ages seven through 14.  It’ll be the second such camp for Suh.

“Probably one of the biggest compliments I got came from parents at my camp [last year] was that I was there from sun up to sun down,” Suh said. “That’s something I want to do.”

Regardless of who Suh truly is, he has an opportunity to help the team in a significant way, given the rash of grown men who are acting like children ages seven through 14.  With team president Bill Ford Jr. looking for veteran leaders to, you know, lead, Suh is one of the few on the roster with the chops to get Nick Fairly, Mikel Leshoure, and/or Titus Young under control.

57 responses to “Suh hopes to show “the true person I am”

1. As long as that “true person” is a disruptive force on the field who can avoid being suspended…. That’s all I care about when it comes to Suh.

2. THE GREAT DETROIT LIONS
    For the last few days they been out of trouble how did this happen if it Detroit it will get a lot of action.

3. Suh went on to say “I’ve been stomping on people from sun up to sun down, and I don’t want people to think I have a bad aim.
    I want to show people that I can stomp on a guy’s head and not necessarily only his arm. I’ve been working on my foot accuracy and I pretty much have it down. Come preseason, I’ll be ready.”

4. It’s been my experience when someone says they want to “show the person i truely am,” they are full of it. When they have to point out their good deeds, this person needs to stop talking. #1 Words are cheap (just like Suh’s cheap shots) #2 Realize the reason folks don’t see the person you believe yourself to be is because of YOUR OWN ACTIONS that cast you in a negative light
    #3 start acting like the person you think you are and maybe you’ll actually become that person one day.

5. Check out that freaking arm of his and then tell me you wouldn’t want to see him standing next to you in a defensive huddle.

Suh is fine by me.

6. Leshoure is in a 24 month NFL drug treatmet program that tests three times a week. Fairley is in the same program and passed his test immediately after the arrest. Young was not allowed to participate in OTAs with a rookie draft pick looking to take snaps from him. At this point these three could be reigned in by the administrative assistant at the facility. There is no need for some veteran leadership, other than to put on some show for the media.

7. I like Suh. Last season must have been difficult for him, because offenses figured out how to slow him down with double teams and chip blocking from TEs. He definitely needs to have thicker skin and act like a professional, but you would be frustrated, too, if you were a competitive person at heart, who couldn’t produce. Unfortunately, with Nick Fairley acting like a chump off the field, this season doesn’t get much easier for Suh; but when our front 7 finally has an offseason to gel, and they are all healthy, (and not suspended for bullsh*t off-field stuff) Suh will return to form, because the offenses will have to break their double- and triple-team schemes, since they won’t know where the threat is coming from.

Now all we need is for The Schwartz and Gun to come down on these guys and make them act like a respectable group of human beings. I love seeing my Lions win, but if we’re gonna be Bengals North, or Raiders East, I’ll go back to rooting for the Bucs until we can get our heads out of our a**es. Football should be about physical fitness, athletic gifts, desire to win, and execution on excellent strategy, and not a tough man contest populated with criminals.

8. What? If Suh is the best guy the Lions can look to to get the guys “under control” then they are in waaaay more trouble than I thought.

9. Suh, you already have….you are an immature hot-head who can’t handle getting beat. Maybe instead of talking about how mature you want to be you should show it, not talk about it.

10. So let me get this straight, you think you are a good guy because you stay all day at a football camp that has your name on it? How about this Einstein, quit stomping on people’s head!

11. Our society continues its downward spiral thanks to all the people who believe it’s perfectly natural and proper to sit back at home in their chairs and judge people for one or two things that happen. It’s the height of tomfoolery to say that Jim Schwartz is an “ass-napkin” – if you asked all the people who know him personally, you’d find a whole different story. Technology and the instant news cycle are awesome – but not if you are fallaciously using them to paint people in broad strokes.

12. to late you already have! now you are just trying to change to be some one that you are NOT!

dirty player forever = the lions

13. Let’s see…causing fights with teammates in college, twice conning yourself out of tickets in Oregon, stomping on an opposing player. Suh-zy, I think we’ve just about got you figured out.

14. covercorner says:
    Jun 3, 2012 11:31 PM
    Make Suh work at Subway every day for a month.
    ————————————————————————————————-

Worse yet, make him eat it everyday for a month.

15. First of all, Suh is a warrior, who in my opinion has gotten a bad rap. Is rap the right word. idk

Put your self in his shoes against the packers and the famous head stomp.

Every time, and I mean every time he was in the pile with the hated packer players, (viking fan here) the packer players were untying his shoes. Watch the tape. It got pretty old after 3 quarters of it. If it was me, I would have been pretty mad too.

Im not lions follower by no means but there is a guy on every team who has a bad rap. The guy is an incredible player. The media spins stuff so out of control all the time. You didn’t hear about the shoe laces now did you.

vilma and the saints would have taken clifton out at the knees.

16. calizcowboyz says:
    Jun 3, 2012 11:45 PM

dirty player forever = the lions
    ————————————–
    It’s actually “Too” late, as in, “It may be too late for you to go back to school for you.” But, feel free to criticize a team based on a few isolated actions over two dozen games. Just be prepared to pass the same standards on your grammar.

17. packerfan12 says:Jun 3, 2012 11:33 PM

_________________

When he makes drunken Rodgers cry like the whiny little girl that he is, you’ll think Suh is mature enough.

18. “Put your self in his shoes against the packers and the famous head stomp.”

you mean getting the *&%$ blocked out of you?

every young player that gets owned in the big leagues should be allowed to stomp heads?

I disagree

the game is paying him alot of money, he needs to respect it

19. wisconsinvikingsfan says:Jun 4, 2012 12:17 AM

Put your self in his shoes against the packers and the famous head stomp.

vilma and the saints would have taken clifton out at the knees.

==================================

We all heard about the shoelaces. In fact the packer OL coach (I think) told his line to do it. You know why? Because Suh is unstable and the Packers knew it. It led him to do something stupid and he played right into the packers hands. Suh was dominated by a UDFA guard that game and the shoelace thing sent him over the edge good for the Packers.

Teams do that, in every sport. Ever hear of “chin music” in baseball? If a batter is crowding the plate, throw high and inside at his chin to tick him off and to get him to get off the plate. Baltimore ran cut blocks, which are 100% legal, against the steelers DL and LBs last year because it was effective and demoralizing. Just listen to their whinning after the game and you’ll see it had the desired effect.

20. this always cracks me up. you mean the over-testosteroned guy you were in college and now in the pros is not “the real you”.

Interpretation:
    “i hope my P.R. guys can brush up my image so that this doesn’t cost me anything when contract discussions start in a year”

21. The shoelace comment is true! I have an audio recording of an ex packer doing a radio show and he explains that in great detail. Even said that the d line coach was laughing about how frustrated Suh was getting with those playground antics. But Suh was the bigger man and didn’t go crying to the media about it.

22. @wisconsinvikingsfan

So what you are saying is that it’s ok that he stomped on someone because they were untying his shoes? So it’s ok for him to stoop to that level? I don’t know guys maybe it’s Evan Dietrich-Smith’s fault for demolishing him…Let’s all make excuses for so called PROFESSIONALS or in this case cry babies, because he can’t control his anger.

In my opinion we have seen the real Ndamukong Suh, and he’s not the nicest guy….doesn’t mean he isn’t a very good football player (even though he only had 4 sacks last year).

Sorry for this rant, I know you were trying to say that the media didn’t cover the fact that the Packers were untying his shoes, and that’s why he got mad, I am saying that he is a professional athlete and should conduct himself like one. And I don’t like it when people make excuses for immature jerks who feel as though they can do whatever they want.

23. The Raider fans must be jeolous. Every day, sometimes several times in one day, we get a story about how the Lions are the most evil NFL team in human history.

24. Wisconsinvikingsfan:

I agreed with your post all the way until you took a cheapshot at the end towards the Saints. Vilma has only had 4 penalties since 2009. 2/3 of all NFL defensive players with as much playing time as Vilma, have more penalties than Vilma. If you are still upset because the Saints beat your Vikings and broke your little heart, then why dont you just come out and say it? Because just like Goodell, your accusations have no truth behind them. You wanna talk about cheapshots? How about when Brian Robinson kicked Clifton in the groin?

25. @wisconsinvikingsfan

i agree with you 100 percent. Suh wasn’t the first player ejected from that game and the packers had more players ejected from games then the lions this season. Suh didnt kick a player in the balls when he was on the ground but the guy who did gets a pass cus he is a packer and not a lion.

26. Hopefully Suh can make a positive impact in he locker room this year and off the field as well.

27. Suh went on to say “I’ve been stomping on people from sun up to sun down, and I don’t want people to think I have a bad aim.

Maybe you shoudn’t “quote ” someone one something they actually didn’t say.

28. Hey everyone, look over here! Look over here at how good a person I’m being! Does everybody see me? I’m being a good person! Look how I’m volunteering. Bring the camera over, look how good of a person I am! Look at me!!!

29. wisconsinvikingsfan says:
    Jun 4, 2012 12:17 AM

Put your self in his shoes against the packers and the famous head stomp.

vilma and the saints would have taken clifton out at the knees.

———————————————————-

Did you watch the game? Of course you didn’t you are a vikings fan, so you don’t like to watch football.

Stomp wasn’t on head, so it’s not the “famous head stomp”
    No one untied Suh’s shoes. That was a story that was made up by an ex packer player, and he admitted to making it up.
    Clifton wasn’t involved in the stomp so why are you bringing him up?

30. Sapp almost took Clifton down for good on a perfectly legal hit. Almost beat their coaches azz for desert. (I thought the Packer homers would never stop crying about that game) Suh, if your going to be an A-hole. Follow the example of a Hall of Fame A-hole.

31. funktron2x says:Jun 3, 2012 11:44 PM

———————————————————
    Dude ……. seriously?

fallaciously……. tomfoolery??????

32. The string of offseason problems for Lions players has obscured the fact that Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had more than a few issues of his own during his second NFL campaign.

So Florio MUST revisit it. Florio, there are KIDS on here that would take your lunch money TODAY…schmuck

33. Parents actually send their children to Suhs camp to be taught by him? That constitutes some sort of child neglect or something dosent it.

34. He already has been showing his “true person.” What’s next, teaching drivers’ ed?

35. You are who you are in pressure situations. He has shown that when you turn the heat up on him he’ll crack. That is a personal deficiency. One that I hope he is truly working on and that I hope he is able to overcome. Helping out in the community is great and I applaud him for it, but all that good pub goes away the second he gets frustrated on the field and does something else that gets him suspended. I like his physicality, I just don’t like his mindset. Good luck Mr Suh. I truly hope you’re able to turn this around.

36. The Raiders won 3 Super Bowls playing like Suh. The guy is dirty, all thru college and now in the pros. Why change.

37. I only clicked on this page to read the comments. Some of the comments didn’t dissapoint.

38. He already showed his true side when he stomped on the Packer lineman. Maybe he has a different personality…i dunno. If so, they have a diagnosis for that……its called schizophrenia.

39. Amusing how Packer, Vikings and Bears fans get their panties all tight at the mere mention of Suh.

Caleb King, Jerome Felton, Johhny Jolly, Benny Sapp, Chris Cook, JT Thomas anyone?

40. By all accounts, Suh is great for the community and donates millions to charity and Nebraska. HOWEVER, his work outside of football is not the topic. It’s his play ON the field that has earned him the well-deserved reputation as the dirtiest and most classless player in the league, bar none. Not only is he dirty, he hurts his team with penalties and suspensions. When he intentionally tries to hurt players and end their careers (pile driver), he deserves to be taken off the field.