Tyler Thigpen has “small” tear in abdomen

Tyler Thigpen Pic Getty Images

The Bills conducted three OTA practices last week, the first on Tuesday and the next two on Thursday and Friday. Backup quarterback Tyler Thigpen didn’t participate in the last two, and explained why to the Bills’ website.

I’ve got a small tear in my abdominal,” Thigpen told Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com. “It’s about a centimeter. I’ve been dealing with it, but we’ve got to rest it and get it right.”

Thigpen’s abdominal tear sure sounds minor, but it could be a bit more significant in terms of his roster security. The Bills signed Vince Young to push Thigpen for their backup quarterback job. Young will get all of the second-team reps as long as Thigpen is sidelined.

The Bills have another OTA practice coming up on Tuesday, June 5. Thigpen’s availability for that session is unknown.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Tyler Thigpen has “small” tear in abdomen”
  1. yelix says: Jun 3, 2012 3:02 PM

Thigpen is one of the better backups in the league. He’s worth keeping around.

2. billsfan27 says: Jun 3, 2012 3:07 PM

With Vince Young and Brad Smith, who they’ll probably keep, Thigpen’s abdomen won’t be the only thing hurting in a few weeks.

3. stubbyjones says: Jun 3, 2012 3:26 PM

He says hes all football 24/7….actually, hes all golf…tore it trying to rip a drive id bet…thats ok..VY is on board..my memory of TT in a Bills uni is getting doinked in the head with te football when not looking….stick to the links tyler….

4. siriusred67 says: Jun 3, 2012 3:40 PM

Thigpen is neither the present nor the future of this franchise. I would rather see an injured Fitzpatrick at QB than a healthy Thigpen. With Vince Young and Brad Smith as backups, Thigpen is expendable… and he *should* get cut this year.

5. catquick says: Jun 3, 2012 3:43 PM

Trade him to a hungry team for a draft pick

6. boxermm187 says: Jun 3, 2012 4:00 PM

I enjoyed watching Tyler with the Chiefs!

7. oldbyrd says: Jun 3, 2012 5:23 PM

I guess Im alone on this but, I think Tyler is a good QB. I would love to see him as a back up with the Eagles. He also would benefit from QB coaching in Philly. OK here come the thumbs.

8. whatswiththehate says: Jun 3, 2012 10:41 PM

I still SMDH at what has become the NFL…VY is fighting second place QB for their jobs while someone like Tim Tebow, who can’t throw a ball straight if his life depends on it, is being pushed by the media to take Mark Sanchez’s starting job.

I said it before and I will say it again, the sports media is ruining the NFL with their personal biases and blatant hypocrisy.

9. zn0rseman says: Jun 4, 2012 1:37 AM

I’m still pissed at Brad Childress for cutting Thigpen to protect “his” guy, Tavaris “T-Joke” Jackson. That after Thigpen tore it up in the offseason. We needed a guy like Thigpen desperately.

Everytime GM Rick Speilman found a diamond (drafted Thigpen in the 7th round) Childress woukd cut him to protect the jobs of “his” guys. Thank goodness Spielman has roster control now and Clueless is finally gone.