Cleat-snatcher apologizes

Packers Football AP

A footnote (pun not intended but what the hell) to the recent Donald Driver charity softball game arose from an incident involving a cleat that was thrown by Driver to a boy — and that was intercepted by a grown woman, who ripped it away like she was taking a bone out of a dog’s mouth.

The issue, captured on video, created enough of a stir within the handiwork of Al Gore’s secret laboratory to prompt the woman to apologize publicly, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

That’s right.  A woman who was in the stands after a charity softball game and who snatched a shoe away from a boy has released a public statement of apology.

Ridiculous as it seems, she apparently felt compelled to do something to end the heavy criticism that she was receiving.  The fact that she resides in a small Wisconsin town where pretty much everyone had seen or heard about what she did likely was a factor, too.

While the woman has said she’ll give the boy the shoe, Driver has said via Twitter that the boy has been given “new cleats, a jersey and baseball bat.”

Driver also wants folks to leave the cleat-snatcher alone.  “Let’s remember the woman who grabbed the cleat from Stephen is human,” Driver said via Twitter.  “We all make mistakes.  Stephen is happy and that’s what matters most!”

Stephen is indeed happy.  Which is far better than being flabbergasted.  Or needing an explanation.  Or being shocked and/or perplexed.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Cleat-snatcher apologizes”
  1. dldove77 says: Jun 5, 2012 8:45 AM

To celebrate, Justin Blackmon would like to buy everyone a round of drinks!

2. noeffinway says: Jun 5, 2012 8:45 AM

So, are you surprised that you got an apology before you had to bully her into giving one? She prolly saw the endless stream of posts coming down the pike here, if she didn’t.

3. rasalghoul says: Jun 5, 2012 8:46 AM

Donald Driver is what every player in the NFL should aspire to be. He may not have HOF numbers but his actions off the field display a character so much higher, and more deserving, than many HOF members.

4. mtheparrothead says: Jun 5, 2012 8:53 AM

Man the flabbergasted, shocked/perplexed joke is old.

5. tfbuckfutter says: Jun 5, 2012 8:53 AM

She’s still a heinous human being.

6. geo91 says: Jun 5, 2012 8:56 AM

This is nothing, watch the highlight of some ruthless tank of a woman steal a tshirt Djokavic tossed to a young girl after a tennis match after hearing she was a huge fan and scoping her out early, now that was brutal lol

7. thehatefulnerd says: Jun 5, 2012 8:58 AM

It’s probly that same cancer lady who got snubbed by Arodge!

8. ermur22 says: Jun 5, 2012 8:59 AM

Where can I get the video??

9. ermur22 says: Jun 5, 2012 8:59 AM

Where can I get the video

10. johanneschimpo says: Jun 5, 2012 9:02 AM

I tooted.

11. castleofcheese says: Jun 5, 2012 9:06 AM

Brett Favre is surprised this didn’t happen sooner.

12. cleverbob says: Jun 5, 2012 9:24 AM

noeffinway says:
    Jun 5, 2012 8:45 AM

================================

Because everybody in the world reads the PFT comments…

13. emoser says: Jun 5, 2012 9:31 AM

I think it’s time to move on from this story and let her get back to her life, but it doesn’t escape me that this woman only “apologized” after the incident became a national story. She had plenty of time to think about it before posing with the cleat in the parking lot and posting it to facebook–definitely didn’t seem sorry at that point. I have a feeling she’s only sorry that this affected her own life in a negative way and couldn’t care less about the kid.

14. 2ndaryinsanity says: Jun 5, 2012 9:40 AM

I have not seen the video, so don’t know how bad it really was (did she body-check him or throw some elbows?). A few years ago I was at a hockey game where they were throwing tee-shirts into the stands. I was 100% locked in on catching that shirt & didn’t notice there was a 10 year old kid trying to do the same thing. I caught the shirt, and I knocked the kid down (thank God he just fell back into his seat). I felt HORRIBLE and immediately gave him the shirt, apologized to him and his mom, and offered to buy him some more popcorn (which had fallen on the floor).
    So, I can kind of understand how this woman could take a cleat from a kid. What I CAN’T understand is her not giving it to the kid once she realized what had happened. At least she eventually did apologize.

15. bearsoxass says: Jun 5, 2012 9:46 AM

Who care’s

16. purpleguy says: Jun 5, 2012 9:59 AM

Apologizing is the right thing to do, but no normal adult NFL fan should have fought over a flipping NFL player’s shoe with a 10 year old kid in the first place. The kid reacted with the class of a 30 year old after she grabbed it out of his hands, while she acted with the maturity of a 10 year old. She should be embarrassed — at least until she downs her 6th Pabst.

17. mvp43 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:00 AM

Cleat-snatcher…:)

18. metspeed21 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:13 AM

Back in the 90s, I went to a Megadeth concert. I jumped up and caught a drumstick thrown out in the crowd and had a guy try to pull it from my hand from behind. Before I could even think, I flipped him over my shoulder and found myself prying the stick from his clutches with my knee on his chest.

It was only after my rational mind caught up with my competitiveness that I helped the guy up and let him keep the souvenir.

I, for one, give the woman the benefit of the doubt.

19. EJ says: Jun 5, 2012 10:17 AM

Embarrassing, your name is put out there as the lady that stole from a little boy…
    A cleat no less, a stinky cleat. Embarrassing.

20. wipackman1265 says: Jun 5, 2012 11:06 AM

DD. all class as always. ….. The rest of you remember about casting the first stone…. She got excited. Got carried away a little and has apologized …. Unless you have never done something you regretted. SHATTUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. joetoronto says: Jun 5, 2012 11:40 AM

wipackman1265 says:
    Jun 5, 2012 11:06 AM
    ***************************************************
    Maybe that’s normal in Wisconsin, I don’t know, but I found her demeanor completely disgusting.

What a pig of a woman.

22. siknutty says: Jun 5, 2012 11:42 AM

The video is still on YouTube, it’s titled “one fan really, really wants Donald Driver’s cleat”. It’s pretty bad. The lady blatantly rips the shoe out of the boys hands and then celebrates like a young teenage girl as if Donald actually intended it to go to her.

23. iamthorny says: Jun 5, 2012 11:59 AM

I guess she felt she had two choices…

1) Apologize.

2) Move in with Steve Bartman

24. jimmylions says: Jun 5, 2012 12:42 PM

Hey Rush … aren’t the Al Gore Internet jokes growing stale, even by your standard?

25. playin2x says: Jun 5, 2012 12:42 PM

Tiki barber is flabbergasted

26. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 5, 2012 1:09 PM

Laugh if you will, but when the “Verified Donald Driver cleat snatched by woman from child in video” sells on Ebay for nearly $47,000 this fall….

27. stairwayto7 says: Jun 5, 2012 3:02 PM

Typicla fat out of work Packer fan!

28. jerrysandusky1 says: Jun 5, 2012 3:34 PM

Why is that lil snot-nosed brat entitled to the shoe? If he didnt have the muscle mass to man-handle said woman he shouldnt be watching football in the 1st place.

29. eegwaybeegway says: Jun 5, 2012 3:42 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt needs to leave his bi-atch at home, where she belongs!

30. vincentbojackson says: Jun 5, 2012 11:53 PM

Darwin doesn’t see anything wrong with what happened.

The bigger, stronger person prevailed.

Hit the weights kid!