Kevin Faulk “praying” for return to Patriots

Kevin+Faulk+Super+Bowl+XLVI+Media+Day+9b0-erD67hJl Getty Images

The Patriots don’t appear to have a place for veteran running back Kevin Faulk, but Faulk hasn’t given up hope of a return in 2012.

Faulk played just 88 snaps for the Patriots in the regular season last year and was inactive for the Super Bowl, two things which would appear to signal the end of the line for the 36-year-old. Faulk spoke to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald and reiterated that he will retire if the Patriots don’t bring him back, but he’s not ready to call it a career just yet.

“I hope so. I’m still praying, hoping,” Faulk said. “If it doesn’t happen, hey, I had a long run. God has blessed me with a long career as a running back, as a football player in general. But if it doesn’t happen, hey, I’m moving on.”

The Patriots currently have Joseph Addai, Stefan Ridley, Shane Vereen and Danny Woodhead at tailback, a group that wouldn’t seem to leave room for Faulk. While his relationship with the team and Bill Belichick means you can’t rule out one last shot, it seems like Faulk will need an injury to one of those four players to open the door up for a return. That’s not impossible, obviously, but you don’t want to wager your kid’s college fund on it happening.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Kevin Faulk “praying” for return to Patriots”
  1. lifeofcurley says: Jun 5, 2012 10:25 AM

Who is Stefan? I know they have a STEVAN Ridley.

2. sudz28 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:27 AM

Fry: “Is there anything religion can do to help me find my friend?”
    Pastor: “Well, we could join together in prayer.”
    Fry: “Uh huh, but is there anything useful we can do?”

3. rc33 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:31 AM

Time to move on, Kevin.
    Terrific career but when if you’re a RB and you tear your ACL at age 34..

4. ampats says: Jun 5, 2012 10:43 AM

I remember back in 2002 season when he fumbled twice against Green Bay and I thought BB would cut him. Kevin had a great career as a Patriot and will one day be in enshrined at One Patriot Place but I highly doubt he has a shot of a roster spot unless injuries occur during the season.

Thanks for the memories and thrills. Best to Kevin Faulk,a true Patriot for life.

5. realitypolice says: Jun 5, 2012 10:45 AM

Toss him one of those entry level coaching jobs- video coordinator, quality control assistant, assistant RB coach- whatever.

Be a nice reward for his loyalty plus it would allow him to around the team and maybe prepare him for a new career.

6. ppc50 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:52 AM

He had a great career and it would be cool if was back on the Pats, but the odds are against him. That being said, he would be a great addition to their coaching staff or front office in some capacity – he is respected, can relate to the players, knows the system, and gets along well with Belichick/Kraft.

7. tejguy says: Jun 5, 2012 10:54 AM

A great player, teammate, and person

Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to the New England Patriots Kevin Faulk. I hope one day you return as a running back coach and enjoy the rest of the years with your friends and family, you deserve it.

8. rpmcanes says: Jun 5, 2012 10:56 AM

Retire a Patriot, Kevin. You’re one of the all time greats. Answered the bell every time.

9. bingobrown12 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:59 AM

Hey Kevin,
    I got the perfect job for you,call up NFL network and
    have them replace your whiny-ass cousin with a better Faulk.

10. nyyjetsknicks says: Jun 5, 2012 10:59 AM

Breaking news: Talking into thin air does nothing.

11. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Jun 5, 2012 11:01 AM

What he really ought to be praying for is to find that step he lost somewhere along the way. It’s over for him but he will always be a core Patriot and all time teammate.

12. nesportsfan0428 says: Jun 5, 2012 11:08 AM

Something tells me we’re going to be seeing him as Comcast Sportsnet’s newest contributer.

This guy will be enshrined in Patriot Place soon.

13. tallguyme says: Jun 5, 2012 11:11 AM

I want you back Kevin… as a coach.

His physical talents are diminished, but he’d be a great guy to have on the sidelines.

14. mullman7675 says: Jun 5, 2012 11:20 AM

@bingobrown: A better Faulk than Marshall?? Here is a napkin, you have some crazy on your face.

Marshall is a HOF runnig back- Kevin had a nice career in new england. You can’t find many of the former, but heaps of the latter.

Shake yourself pats fan….

15. upperdecker19 says: Jun 5, 2012 11:33 AM

Would having Tim Tebow’s cell phone number qualify?

16. jjbadd says: Jun 5, 2012 11:33 AM

All I can say is, as a Bronco fan, from the outside looking in, I don’t ever recall him being a problem or distraction to the team, he seemed to be very dependable & I hope he can find peace in retirement. Congrats to him on a long NFL career, & I would hope a lot of people realize his contributions went far beyond running the ball. He was a good blocker and catcher coming out of the backfield.

17. 11jlacy says: Jun 5, 2012 11:34 AM

Good luck kev you have been a solid player for a great team u rep the sec n the boot.

18. realitypolice says: Jun 5, 2012 11:43 AM

@mullman7675:

I think he’s referring to their personalities, not their careers.

Shake YOUR self, whatever the heck that means.

19. duanethomas says: Jun 5, 2012 12:04 PM

Hang it up. Belichick gave you two extra years.

20. bullcharger says: Jun 5, 2012 12:08 PM

Kevin Faulk is a total class act.

I thought he was done after the playoff loss against Denver in Jan 2006, but I was way wrong. Many great years after that.

I hope he is good enough to play again, but if not I wish him the best in retirement.

21. cannonballdookie says: Jun 5, 2012 12:10 PM

He should have retired 5 years ago. Hang it up now and you can probably get a coaching gig with the Pats, that would be the best move for him. He will always be welcomed there but they don’t need him as a 5th RB.

22. bingobrown12 says: Jun 5, 2012 12:11 PM

@mullman7675:

I think he’s referring to their personalities, not their careers.

Shake YOUR self, whatever the heck that means.

Bingo!

23. theandy59 says: Jun 5, 2012 12:35 PM

Don’t write him off yet. If Kevin is healthy, I think he’s got a decent shot at beating out Addai for a spot – Kevin will play on special teams, is a good blocker in blitz pick-up, and he knows the offense. Plus, Brady trusts him. Last season he looked done, but sometimes a guy needs a couple of years to return to form after a big knee injury. Speed was never Kevin’s strength, it was his quickness, agility, and vision that made him affective. Here’s to you, Kevin – go win yourself a spot for another season!

24. vaphinfan says: Jun 5, 2012 12:44 PM

realitypolice says:
    Jun 5, 2012 10:45 AM

————————————————–
    I’m pretty sure they have a pretty good video coordinator already in New England. At least great job filming other team signals.

25. patsfiend says: Jun 5, 2012 12:57 PM

Faulk just wants to keep going to all those Celtics games. Kev… you didn’t even get a single play in the Super Bowl, bud. Love ya, but it’s time to call it quits.

26. EJ says: Jun 5, 2012 1:08 PM

Good player, not great. I think his supporting cast made him look a little better. His career as a Patriot is over though, but I do not believe it is his age or last years injury. What will keep him on the path to retirement is the pack of running backs the Patriots already have… Joseph Addai is proven, Stefan Ridley and Shane Vereen will be fighting for the third spot and Danny Woodhead will probably back up Addai.

27. nflofficeadmin says: Jun 5, 2012 1:08 PM

Marshall is so dark and Kevin is so light. Come get some.

28. castleanthrax says: Jun 5, 2012 1:25 PM

Unfortunately they grabbed Addai to do exactly what Kevin would’ve done, pass block, catch passes in the flat, etc.

Consummate pro and true Patriot that will always be popular around here. One of the core members of that 3 out 4 team in the earlier part of the decade.

I am hoping he finds a spot on the team as a coach of some sort. He knows the culture, the team, BB.

29. CKL says: Jun 5, 2012 1:35 PM

jjbadd says:
    Jun 5, 2012 11:33 AM
    _____________________________
    I wish more fans on here were like you. I’ve never seen you make ignorant comments because you aren’t a fan of a team. So thanks. :)

As to Kev, he did have that one “it wasn’t mine” thing with weed a few years ago that was really shocking, but he HAS always been a fantastic teammate. good person, and solid player. We as Pats fans were lucky to have him on the team. Whatever they needed him to do he did and without complaint. I used to dread watching him carry the ball early in his career but he really worked on his fumbling issues and became one of the best 3rd down/change of pace RBs in the mid 2000s. I think last year was it for him though. He is the last of the Pete Carroll era Pats. I wish him the best in everything.

30. jimyritz says: Jun 5, 2012 2:00 PM

I bring him back and let him compete for a job…No downside in that…

31. jjbadd says: Jun 5, 2012 2:07 PM

@CKL
    I started off being an Elway fan during “The Drive” season, many years ago. I’m from S. Carolina, & at that time, there was no Panthers! So I remain a Broncos fan, & a Carolina fan….but above all else a FOOTBALL fan, and I try to be as un-bias as poasible when commenting on certain things, like injuries and retirements, deaths and such. Some people like to troll & get under peoples skin, and I do occasionally, but hey in this case, a good, loyal player may be retiring, and I’m just offering my respect. And for the record, I’ve often posted that Belichek is arguably the best coach ever…and the pats earned their championships, to hell with spygate! They were great those years! Just like the Saints are getting railroaded, bountygate is blown way out of proportion! But thanks for noticing!

32. j0esixpack says: Jun 5, 2012 2:24 PM

Two words: Shadow Roster

(Translation – a quality veteran player not quite good enough to displace an up and comer on the 53 man roster, but willing to stay in shape and be ready to be signed in case of injuries or poor performance by others.)

I think the NFL should do more to give roster/salary cap exemptions allowing teams to keep a few 10+ year veterans with the same team.

This would be a is a win win all around – keeping high caliber character guys with the team to serve as role models to younger players. The NFL would be better off allowing it, and its a nice reward to such players as well.

33. pastabelly says: Jun 5, 2012 2:43 PM

It used to be said that Troy Brown was the most underrated Patriot. People said it so much that it was no longer true. Kevin Faulk was always the most underrated player. He was a decent runner, but a great pass blocker, and great third down back. Sorry Kevin, I used the word WAS. He still is a great fundraiser and charitable guy in the community and hopefully, stays local.

34. CKL says: Jun 5, 2012 2:44 PM

@jjbadd
    RE: THE DRIVE-I live in NE OH, if I were a Browns fan I’d probably hate you now even though you are cool. :P

I’m not sure I could be as understanding as you if I weren’t a Pats fan. Being that (and having read up on the seamy underbelly of a lot of coaches/eras)makes me more sympathetic towards what Saints fans are going through.

That must have been weird for you seeing Fox go from one of your teams to the other. Personally it’s weirder to me that he re-hired JDR.

@jimyritz,
    Yeah that may be what happens with Faulk. One part of it could be that once the reality of TC hits, he sees (a la Bruschi in 09) that he really should be retiring. He has a business and a great life in LA so I think he’ll be pretty well adjusted when he leaves. I do expect him to stay involved with the team somewhat, like new Pats HOF er Troy Brown is.

35. ralphwilsonisrich says: Jun 5, 2012 3:23 PM

Kevin give it up. How long do you wanna play until your brain is like jello.

36. ytsejamer1 says: Jun 5, 2012 9:24 PM

All the well wishers above with positive thoughts about Kevin Faulk I wholeheartedly agree with. He was one heck of a football player and 100% professional at all times.

But he got the Troy Brown (carry you on the roster for the last go round) treatment last year…he’s not getting another one. Hopefully BB can get him in a minority coaching program or give him a spot somewhere in the ranks so he can be with the team.

37. vincentbojackson says: Jun 5, 2012 11:48 PM

If you’re not a tight end you’re off the Pats radar. Word on the street is their offense this year will consist of Brady, Welker and 9 tight ends.