Pamphilon makes the media rounds

espn_g_pamphilon_sy_600 Getty Images

For a guy who has said he’s not looking for attention, he sure is looking for a lot of attention.

On Monday, three days after dropping a 10,000-word manifesto on his website regarding, in laborious detail, the thoughts and words and actions that culminated in the release of the Gregg Williams audio (and, of course, its aftermath), filmmaker Sean Pamphilon has taken to the airwaves to talk even more about the situation.

Look at his Twitter timeline.  He is aggressively seeking media appearances.  In a Friday tweet, he expressed a desire to be on PFT Live, pointing out that I’ve “been wanting to have [him] on.”

The more accurate conjugation of the verb “to want” is the past tense.  When the Williams audio surfaced, I had many questions that the PFT Live audience (all five of them) surely would have wanted to hear Pamphilon answer.  Given his soul purging in 10,000 words or more, there’s nothing to really ask, other than, perhaps, one of Rain Man’s favorite questions.

Pamphilon continues to throw logs onto the 15-minute-of-fame fire.  He recently posted the audio of a voice message from Saints quarterback Drew Brees, in which Brees asks for an opportunity to review the initial essay that Pamphilon posted online, at the time the Williams audio was released.

Pamphilon’s latest effort to jump into the spotlight may simply be a transparent effort to build buzz for his documentary, The United States of Football.  Alternatively (or perhaps in addition), his goal could be to erase the perception that the betrayed former Saints special-teamer Steve Gleason by releasing audio that Pamphilon was able to capture only because he had the trust of Gleason, who in turn had the trust of the Saints.

In his diary, Pamphilon spends much time explaining that, as of early April, he had no plan to release the audio, and that he proceeded only after being prodded to do so by the NFLPA, via former Saints linebacker and NFLPA executive committee member Scott Fujita.  Then, when Brees and Gleason wanted to review Pamphilon’s corresponding essay and Pamphilon declined and Gleason told Pamphilon not to release the audio, Pamphilon decided the die had been cast and the audio was released.

Perhaps that’s why Pamphilon was almost defiant on Monday, while appearing on 690 AM in New Orleans.  “How has this negatively impacted Steve Gleason?” Pamphilon said, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune.  “This has been devastating for me and my family.  Anybody who can tell me what is negative for Steve other than I hurt his feelings, I’d love to hear that.”

Um, there’s a slight difference between a betrayal of trust and hurt feelings.  Especially when the betrayal of trust triggers feelings in Gleason that he in turn betrayed the trust of the Saints, by trusting a man who wasn’t trustworthy.

Previously, Pamphilon created the impression that he was willing to sacrifice his relationship with Gleason to advance some greater good.  “I gave up a sure thing, to do what myself and many other parents would consider the right thing,” Pamphilon told Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports in response to the initial criticism Pamphilon endured.

But by trying so hard to justify what he did, Pamphilon has admitted that he was ready to not publish the audio (i.e., to not do the “right thing”), and that it was only after the NFLPA prodded him, apparently for strategic reasons, to release the tape on April 2 that he decided to proceed.  Thus, while Pamphilon’s explanation that Gleason was fine with the audio being published as long as he had a chance to read Pamphilon’s essay in advance would tend to take much of the sting out of the notion that Gleason was vehemently opposed to Gregg Williams’ words being played for a broader audience, Pamphilon’s also has undermined his own supposedly righteous motives.

He didn’t surrender to a crisis of conscience.  He had decided not to release the audio, until the NFLPA, via Fujita, dusted off the topic a month after the bounty scandal was exposed.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Pamphilon makes the media rounds”
  1. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Jun 5, 2012 10:02 AM

Didn’t this Pamphilon dude already have his 15 minutes of fame when he played Professor Snape in the Harry Potter flicks?

2. purpleguy says: Jun 5, 2012 10:05 AM

If he wants all that attention, you’d think he’d get a better hair dye job.

3. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Jun 5, 2012 10:10 AM

This guy (to stretch an analogy) is Donnie Brasco, and he’s wondering what he’s done that would harm Lefty Ruggiero…..

4. kevinwi says: Jun 5, 2012 10:12 AM

wow…..you couldn’t wait to write about this scandal when it came out and the tape was released, got all kinds of great traffic to your site as you wrote about it, and now turn it around on the guy that released it and question his motives? You cannot have it both ways Mike.
    I see it too often with media…they ask the same question over and over and when they get an answer, turn it on the athlete or whomever for speaking out of turn…..it’s two faced and it’s not right.

5. dldove77 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:17 AM

Hot water burn baby?

6. lovefootball4life says: Jun 5, 2012 10:19 AM

When he first released the tape a bunch of folks came to his defense, said he did the right thing, applauded his bravery, actually believed his intentions were not his own agenda. I wonder what they think now…

7. howardforvezina says: Jun 5, 2012 10:30 AM

He kind of looks like a wizard………..

8. eagleswin says: Jun 5, 2012 10:47 AM

He didn’t surrender to a crisis of conscience. He had decided not to release the audio, until the NFLPA, via Fujita , dusted off the topic a month after the bounty scandal was exposed.

————————————

And Brees. You mentioned him once in the article but I find Bree’s involvement the most interesting. The man impersonating Sgt. Schultz “I know nothing!” (yes, I am dating myself) went from not knowing anything about the bounties to “how do we cover this up and protect my teammates” very quickly.

9. theservice10 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:49 AM

I cant wait to not see this movie!

10. ningenito78 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:55 AM

I’m so sick and tired of this guy. It’s such transparent, shameless self-promotion. Kevinwi- it’s not ‘turning on’ him. It’s that he just talked enough to make anyone with half a brain realize what his true intentions were all along. And it wasn’t to be a hero to the people.

11. ningenito78 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:56 AM

He looks like a wizard? He looks like Fabio in the middle of a midlife crisis after a week long meth bender.

12. trollhammer20 says: Jun 5, 2012 11:25 AM

myopinionisrighterthanyours says:Jun 5, 2012 10:02 AM

_____________________________

Do not insult Alan Rickman like that. The guy who played one of the best action-movie villians of all time, Hans Gruber in Die Hard, deserves better.

I’d say Pamphlion looks like a guy who got kicked off the set of a Tim Burton movie.

13. eagleswin says: Jun 5, 2012 11:36 AM

ningenito78 says:
    Jun 5, 2012 10:55 AM

—————————————–

No matter what his intentions are you can’t dispute that Drew “I need an explanation” Brees goal in the coverup was not to be “a hero to the people” either. No anger for him? Maybe Saints fans can’t handle the truth.

14. CKL says: Jun 5, 2012 1:43 PM

lovefootball4life says:
    Jun 5, 2012 10:19 AM
    ____________________________
    I wasn’t 100% “on his side “(because he came of as a major DB) but I did think he was actually trying to do the right thing. I was really, really wrong and the Saints fans who decried him were right on. I apologize to Saints fans for any posts I may have on here that defended his motives. This guy is a humongous, gigantic selfish DB. Period. Except for the fact he did actually have tape of something, he’s your Matt Walsh. I sympathize completely.

15. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 5, 2012 1:52 PM

I’m sorry…”he”? At first glance I thought that was a woman.

16. backindasaddle says: Jun 5, 2012 9:05 PM

Are we certain that this is not Professor Snape?

17. pjhurley5 says: Jun 5, 2012 10:45 PM

Four times I posted a completely clean, reasonable assessment of this article and four times it was removed for absolutely no reason at all. Awesome…accept some criticism for once Mike Florio.

18. silentcount says: Jun 6, 2012 4:36 AM

Seems like the guy now wants to be in front of the camera instead of behind it. Doesn’t deserve any more attention. Get back behind the curtain.