Blackmon will address media on Wednesday

Justin Blackmon AP

After three days of silence following an arrest in Oklahoma for aggravated DUI, Jaguars receiver Justin Blackmon will address the media on Wednesday afternoon.

Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union reports that Blackmon, coach Mike Mularkey, and G.M. Gene Smith will face the music at 1:15 p.m. ET.  The fact that all three will attend strongly suggests that the team and the player have come to an understanding regarding the arrest, and regarding the future expectations for the fifth overall pick in the draft.

Don’t expect Blackmon to say much.  As we pointed out on Tuesday, anything he says can and will (if helpful) be used against him by a prosecutor who apparently has no plan to exercise lenience.

Stellino characterizes the press conference as an effort by the team to ensure that the arrest won’t be “the focal point of conversation” during next week’s mandatory minicamp.  (I know our collective attention span is shrinking, but what else would be the focal point of conversation at next week’s minicamp?)

Stellino also points out that Blackmon could have an unlikely mentor within the organization as he deals with the aftermath of driving despite an alleged 0.24 percent blood-alcohol concentration.  Defensive line coach Joe Cullen was arrested twice in one week six years ago with the Lions for alcohol-related offenses, and Cullen has had no issues since then.

Of course, it was much easier for Cullen to fade into the background, since that’s where he was before the arrests.  For Blackmon, the challenge will be to deal with the incident while also occupying a high profile with the franchise.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Blackmon will address media on Wednesday”
  1. bergencountyjc says: Jun 6, 2012 8:52 AM

2. nyyjetsknicks says: Jun 6, 2012 8:57 AM

Blackmon – Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorence on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon . . . you know, cause I’ve worked in a lot of offices, and I tell you, people do that all the time.

3. alfiess says: Jun 6, 2012 9:05 AM

bergencountyjc says: I think he already made his statement to the media by pleading innocent when he was 3x the limit. It would have been very respectable to accept the charges like a man, a future professional player/role model/etc.

That actually would have been the dumbest thing he could have done. A plea at an arraignment isn’t and admission/denial of anything. You don’t plea guilty at your arraignment ever, unless you’re just flat out ignorant to how the court process works out, which it sounds like you are.

It wouldn’t have been respectable to plead guilty. It would have been nonsensical.

4. clownsfan says: Jun 6, 2012 9:21 AM

And I’m bettin’ that when he does “address the media” he’s gonna sound really dumb.

5. skito13 says: Jun 6, 2012 9:21 AM

Ram’s win…

6. wludford says: Jun 6, 2012 9:22 AM

The first sign that Blackmon’s gonna be a bust.

7. jpb12 says: Jun 6, 2012 9:25 AM

This press conference will be streamed live by their sponsor – Jack Daniels.

8. miserynmossouri says: Jun 6, 2012 9:38 AM

Apparently there will be an open bar at the press conference. Leonard Little will be tending bar.

9. bergencountyjc says: Jun 6, 2012 9:40 AM

alfiess says: — Good point – Yes I am pretty ignorant when it comes to procedural law, despite having a father who is an attorney. I actually gave him a call and yes, I am an idiot.

10. sj39 says: Jun 6, 2012 9:48 AM

skito13 says:
    Jun 6, 2012 9:21 AM

Ram’s win…

Yep, they do and I tell you what, Floyd is right behind Blackmon.

11. commonsensedude says: Jun 6, 2012 9:55 AM

I wish that he – and all the other idiots throughout the league who collect DUIs like they’re parking tickets – were forced to meet with family members of people who lost their lives to drunk drivers. As part of whatever lenient community service punishment they get, they should be forced to go to the scene of DUI-related car crashes and help clean up the blood and the damage.

Everybody makes mistakes. But you don’t get the chance to keep making a mistake as serious as this over and over again without incurring very serious consequences. This kid needs to know that he’s got to grow up and take responsibility NOW. Otherwise, he should take a look at JaMarcus Russell and understand that his future will be as bleak as his if he doesn’t get his crap together.

12. bullpuppy552 says: Jun 6, 2012 10:04 AM

The press conference will start by Blackmon saying “Hi, my name is Justin and I’m an alcoholic”. The media will then say a big “HI JUSTIN!!!”.

13. bullpuppy552 says: Jun 6, 2012 10:06 AM

Seriously though, let me guess at what he is going to say. The standard lines of “I let my team down and let the fans down”, “I made a mistake”, …blah blah blah

14. kwgator says: Jun 6, 2012 10:22 AM

1:15 EDT … Good, that leaves plenty of time to get to Happy Hour

15. trollhammer20 says: Jun 6, 2012 10:43 AM

Bullpuppy: The rest of the blah blah blah is:

He’s going to “take responsibility” for his actions, he’s “truly sorry” (that he got caught), and he’s going to “move forward from this”.

Oh, and if he doesn’t mention his faith and/or God, I will eat the shirt I am wearing for lunch.

16. upyoursnfu says: Jun 6, 2012 10:44 AM

Justin, if you get nervous, just have a drink to calm your nerves.

17. peytonsneck18 says: Jun 6, 2012 10:52 AM

I bet he shows up drunk and babbles about how terrible his new qb is and how Jacksonville doesnt have enough liquor stores, then Gabbert will respond by calling him a “liquored up reciever”

18. dubblelznhell says: Jun 6, 2012 11:17 AM

Yup. 1st Bust of the 2012 class….only cuz he’s got Gabbert throwing to him. Combine that with his lack of foresight, and the term ‘bust’ will prove to be aptly adequate in describing this goof-off. If he had a decent QB, he might put something decent up on the stat sheet…but alas, I digress.

19. chriscgbrown says: Jun 6, 2012 12:02 PM

Part of me wishes he turns up with a bottle of JD in his hand.

20. blackqbwhiterb says: Jun 6, 2012 12:03 PM

Ain’t anybody ever see a celebrity in trouble with the law before???
    This is (at least, I’m predicting) the “I have a problem with alcohol and I am leaving today for rehab” press conference. Think of all the Hollywood types, politicians, etc. when they get a DUI. This is how this works. He goes to rehab, he’s off the radar for a month, comes back quiet, humble, and tries to put the pieces of his career back together.

Hopefully it’s sincere and he turns it around….hopefully

21. citiciti says: Jun 6, 2012 12:53 PM

Over under on “you know” (7)

22. vincentbojackson says: Jun 6, 2012 1:02 PM

While I applaud him for making a statement I question the decision to hold it at during happy hour the Rusty Bucket Saloon in downtown Jacksonville.

23. canuckinamerica says: Jun 6, 2012 9:01 PM

If he closes his statement with a “cheers” it might be time to gas this tool.

24. canuckinamerica says: Jun 6, 2012 9:06 PM

Blackqbwhiterb. This is his SECOND press conference to say he is sorry for a DUI. But let’s give him the benefit of the doubt, shall we? His next press conference will probably start off by saying…..”I am really sorry somebody died”.

25. mrmafaka says: Jun 6, 2012 10:20 PM

His career will consist of a few more arrest, 2-3 children from different baby mommas, 2 more different teams he will sign with, lots of drama in the media, a failed attempt for a comeback when he is done, filing for bankruptcy, and added to the long list of POS receivers from the NFL.

26. covercorner says: Jun 7, 2012 1:49 PM

They can go to the McDonald’s drivethrough together.