Gay former player encourages current gay players to come out

Wade-Davis_150

Jerry Seinfeld once lamented being outed, even though he was never in.  Former NFL player Wade Davis has now outed himself, even though he was already out.

Technically, that’s not what Davis did.  But the folks at Outsports.com had previously sold it that way, subtly but unmistakably.

Last month, in an item that explores attitudes among current NFL players regarding the acceptance of gay teammates, Outsports.com said that a former NFL player would soon talk publicly about being gay, for the first time.

But Davis never played in a regular-season NFL game, and he came out, at the latest, in early 2011.

As a result, my initial reaction was to conclude that I’d been the victim of a bait-and-switch, via an effort to build advance buzz for something that, standing along, wouldn’t have drawn much attention.  So I initially refused to consider the article or watch the companion interview of Wade Davis.

In most cases (not all, but most), my stubbornness subsides fairly quickly.  In this case, I’m glad it did.

The article from Cyd Zeigler, Jr. regarding the time Davis spent playing pro football contains the kind of real-life details that a gay player who is determined to conceal his orientation inevitably experiences, including joining NFL Europe teammates on an outing to a house of ill repute and paying a prostitute $100 to sit and talk.

“You just want to be one of the guys, and you don’t want to lose that sense of family,” said Davis, who was in training camp with the Titans in 2000, and who later was on the roster in Seattle and Washington.  “Your biggest fear is that you’ll lose that camaraderie and family.  I think about how close I was with [defensive end] Jevon [Kearse] and [cornerback] Samari [Rolle].  It’s not like they’d like me less, it’s that they have to protect their own brand.”

Perhaps more compelling is the videotaped interview by Amy K. Nelson, in which Davis wrestles on camera with the question of whether to urge players fighting for a roster spot to come out of the closet.  “Screw it,” Davis eventually says.  “I don’t want to be in the business of telling anyone they can’t live their life authentically.  I don’t want to do that anymore.”  And so, regardless of where a gay player sits on the roster, Davis thinks he should “come out and say, you know what, I’m gay, I’m still a great athlete and even a better human being.”

If every gay player in the NFL (and surely there are a few more than one or two) would simultaneously come out, they would find strength and support from their numbers alone.  That’s extremely unlikely to happen, and so the question continues to be who will be the first football player to declare that he’s gay?  And then the question will be what happens to him, both in the locker room and on the practice field and when he emerges from the tunnel as a member of the home team or, more importantly, the visiting team?

One thing is certain:  It will take far more courage than what a player musters to play tackle football against NFL-caliber talent.  In hindsight, however, he’ll be celebrated and supported by far more than those who would criticize and condemn him.

Permalink 99 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins
99 Responses to “Gay former player encourages current gay players to come out”
  1. parasonic says: Jun 6, 2012 1:53 PM

I’d like to say that most PFT readers are all for this and only care about a players’ performance on Sunday, but at the same time I fear for the readers that will comment “Soon people will want to marry their dog or their bradford pear.”. Only exposes their true ignorance and bigotry.

2. fraleyr says: Jun 6, 2012 1:58 PM

why would anybody in the nfl want to bring all that press to their team. who cares if your gay? good for you but dont come out and put an extra story on your teams season. if your gay good for you but nobody really cares

3. ingraven says: Jun 6, 2012 1:59 PM

If MORE gay players “Come Out” they will OBVIOUSLY be looked at differently and it will DEFINITELY have a NEGATIVE effect on their careers

4. listenup823 says: Jun 6, 2012 2:02 PM

5. blacknole08 says: Jun 6, 2012 2:03 PM

“I don’t want to be in the business of telling anyone they can’t live their life authentically. I don’t want to do that anymore.”

This. It must be hard to constantly live your life based on a lie. I find it courageous for a man who plays a “manly” sport like football to come out and admit that he is gay. There are so many people opposed to this position, but these men are still human and deserve the same respect any straight athlete gets.

Good article.

6. steviemo says: Jun 6, 2012 2:04 PM

It is time for gay players to come out. It’s likely 10% of NFL players are gay. You would think that given all the gay content on MTV, this would be a slam dunk at this point.

7. lionsfan14 says: Jun 6, 2012 2:06 PM

hey parasonic i think your ignorant for speaking on behalf of all the”PFT readers”

8. disgruntledlesbian says: Jun 6, 2012 2:09 PM

It will take a hell of a lot of courage. I can’t see it happening any time soon but we’re getting there. I hope he smashes The stereotypes in the mouth and makes people question the ignorance they always believed.

9. ilovefoolsball says: Jun 6, 2012 2:12 PM

It’s gotta be tough being in that position. I’m firmly of the belief that people do not “choose” to be gay just as heterosexual people don’t “choose” to be straight.

The first player to come out during his playing days will surely send shockwaves throughout.

p.s. Are there a lot of openly gay soccer/rugby players?

10. cush2push says: Jun 6, 2012 2:13 PM

If he can play who cares people need to stop living in ignorance

11. jdubkc says: Jun 6, 2012 2:16 PM

Look, I don’t care if your gay or straight, Catholic or Hindi, Democrat or Republican. Can’t we just enjoy Sunday’s for football? I want to cheer on my team’s players for the incredible athletes they are and the sport they play not for what team they are playing for if you catch my drift. Athletes, musicians, etc. that talk politics piss me off to no end, this is the same thing. I go to the stadium to disconnect from these things. Just play the game and keep your personal sexual, religious and political views to yourselves.

12. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 6, 2012 2:19 PM

Man, I’m sure players get called gay on the field all the time. I know I did when I played…H.S. ball, lol. So it’s not like anything is going to change.

13. dogluverssuck says: Jun 6, 2012 2:22 PM

Lets be serious. If everyone was gay, how would the world reproduce?

I’m just sayin……

14. kidpresentable says: Jun 6, 2012 2:26 PM

The person I really feel bad for is whoever has to moderate the PFT comments section for this article. It’s going to be a long afternoon for him or her.

15. marima07 says: Jun 6, 2012 2:27 PM

jdubkc has it right:

“Just play the game and keep your personal sexual, religious and political views to yourselves.”

Bruins goalie Tim Thomas is still getting skewered for his unpopular political and ultra-conservative viewpoints, even though in 2010 he had one of the best seasons ever played by an NHL goalie.

I’m still a fan of his play but wish athletes would keep their comments directed toward the sports world – not politics or religion, and definitely not what kind of sex they’re having (straight or gay, this is never appropriate for public discussion.)

16. fkajames says: Jun 6, 2012 2:28 PM

steviemo: Assuming the ratio of gays in the NFL roughly approximates the ratio in the US as a whole, about 3% (~51 guys) would identify as gay and another 5% (~85) would not identify as gay even though they occasionally have sex with other men.

jdubkc: Forgetting the whole religious or political aspects of it, to the extent that any NFL player can talk about his wife or girlfriend, a gay player ought to be able to talk about his husband or boyfriend.

17. jabostick says: Jun 6, 2012 2:28 PM

Forget trying to find a group to come out with collectively. An athlete from a major sport is going to come out and they’re going to be littered with praise and endorsement opportunities.

I think the time is ripe for it and I’m surprised someone hasn’t yet done it strategically given all the ‘brand awareness’ athletes have nowadays.

There would be backlash, no doubt, but I think it would be much more supported and it would be a HUGE PR risk for other players to not be supportive of their teammate.

18. santolonius says: Jun 6, 2012 2:30 PM

i think most fans would be fine with gay players (with the exception of the hysterical minority who see a gay menace everywhere they turn). but i don’t know if i can say that about players. i think players might be the last ones on board the tolerance train.

19. silencethecritics says: Jun 6, 2012 2:31 PM

It’s none of our business so personal stuff should stay at home. Opening yourself up in that manner would only do more harm than good… People are very cruel and there is no sense of drawing unwanted attention to yourself.

20. n0hopeleft says: Jun 6, 2012 2:35 PM

listenup823 says:
    Jun 6, 2012 2:02 PM

_______________________________

Plain and simple?

As if talking about sexuality isnt enough of a joke on an NFL based site, you go and bring your pathetic BELIEFS into it?

I could steal today, go to confession tomorrow, and all is right in the world if I say 3 hail mary’s?

GET REAL.

21. thraiderskin says: Jun 6, 2012 2:37 PM

I want to start by saying that I’m okay with qay athletes of all ilk, but I do not really think there are as many gay men in the NFL as people try to lead us to believe. If you look at the breakdown of society, on a laymen’s level, many of us know someone(s) who is gay, but how many of us know so many, your gay associate would have a support group (I would guess not many of us)? Obviously this is in reference to your statement about support in numbers. Locker rooms are tight, honesty is the best way to maintain trust in them, I think gay players would find the support they need from the guys who play ball with them, day in, day out. I’m sure there would be some who refuse to accept a gay teamate, but they would not last long in an established locker room.

22. dirttooliski1raven says: Jun 6, 2012 2:37 PM

23. bigwinintx says: Jun 6, 2012 2:38 PM

Your sexual preference has nothing to do with whether or not you can run, kick or throw.

That being said, I don’t want to know what you do after hours in your own home and I don’t care.

24. tkebean says: Jun 6, 2012 2:38 PM

With football being a “manly” sport I doubt many/if any NFL players choose to be gay.

25. areyoudue says: Jun 6, 2012 2:43 PM

steviemo says “It’s likely 10% of NFL players are gay”

Many lobbyists would love you to believe that. Latest studies say that only about 1.7% of the population is gay. Considering the number of players in the NFL it’s more likely there is less than one gay person per team. Just saying.

26. mthoover says: Jun 6, 2012 2:43 PM

If there’s a gay athlete in the league now, the best thing he could do for his career is be the first ever player to come out while playing. Instant international superstar. Not that it’s a good thing, but it’d be a way to make yourself a part of history. Infamy.

27. ty46 says: Jun 6, 2012 2:43 PM

Sexual orientation is a private matter, so players should not come out publicly.

28. howiefeltersnatch says: Jun 6, 2012 2:47 PM

“He cut me becasue I’m gay.”

That’s the last thing we need to hear, so just keep it to yourselves fellas. It’s working fine just as it is.

29. xxwhodatxx says: Jun 6, 2012 2:48 PM

30. philwauke says: Jun 6, 2012 2:49 PM

listenup823 says: Jun 6, 2012 2:02 PM

When someone ends a sentence with just sayin you really are sayin.

31. discosucs2005 says: Jun 6, 2012 2:56 PM

“good for you but dont come out”

See that’s the kind of crap that really gives NFL fans a bad name. I know on the surface you’re trying to appear that you only care about a players on the field attributes, but how this is coming across is “you can’t be who you are because there is a chance it will be a distraction to your team” when the only reason it will be a distraction is because of the cultural bigotry on the subject.

This logic is fostering a vicious cycle of “if you come out it’s a big deal because you’d be the first, so don’t come out because it will be a big deal.”

32. kidpresentable says: Jun 6, 2012 2:57 PM

“I hope there is a day in my lifetime (I’m 48) when people’s skin pigmentation, who they have sex with, who they do (or don’t) worship, etc., is as irrelevant as what they had for breakfast or what music they listen to.”

Screw you, man, my breakfast was pretty relevant.

33. vmannj says: Jun 6, 2012 2:57 PM

Tebow is an out-spoken Christian and he gets buried in the ground. I’ve seen a lot of comments on PFT urging Tebow to “keep your religious views to yourself.” I find it extremely hypocritical to tell one guy to keep quiet, and tell another guy to stand up for what he believes in. Our society shoves the word tolerance down our throats. If you truly practice what you preach about tolerance, then both groups of people should be left alone.

34. briang123 says: Jun 6, 2012 3:00 PM

35. gordyb7 says: Jun 6, 2012 3:01 PM

“It’s a sin… Plain and simple.”

If the gods don’t want people to be gay, why don’t they just create everyone to be heterosexual?

36. pskotte says: Jun 6, 2012 3:03 PM

Tough choice. Have you ever smelled a Bartlett pear tree while blossoming? I’m picking the dog.

37. chocopoppy says: Jun 6, 2012 3:09 PM

To all the thumpers out there — why would a person “choose” to be gay and accept all that scorn and ridicule their whole life? Could it not be that 5% of the population is simply wired that way?

38. mactimo says: Jun 6, 2012 3:12 PM

If i could get a browns QB to throw for 4,500 yards, or a WR to catch 110 balls (insert joke here) for 1,300 yds or a RB to run for 1,500 or a DE to have 17 sacks (see above) i wouldn’t care if he was gay or wanted to marry his bradford pear. Its football! play the game, produce, don’t rape girls on a geogria college campus in the bathroom of a bar, kill ur wife or kill dogs and we’re pretty much cool

39. dfeltz says: Jun 6, 2012 3:20 PM

Individually, I say most people don’t care. But when the mass’s get together on Sunday and the visiting team has known gay player, it’ll be a pretty ugly scene. The first few players to come out, will take a lot of abuse unfortunately but the end result may be better for future players. Sadly, a “tolerance” has to be built.

40. fkajames says: Jun 6, 2012 3:23 PM

xxwhodatxx: “Why can’t someone just be? I don’t go around telling everyone I meet im straight. So why is it so important for gays to tell everyone their buisiness? It really doesn’t matter.”

——————————————————–

If that were true, this bit wouldn’t get so many comments. If that were true, this wouldn’t even have appeared as a post. And although you claim not to “go around telling everyone” you’re straight, you actually do, it’s just so ingrained in you – so much a part of your existence – that you don’t notice it. You don’t think twice about mentioning what you and your wife or girlfriend did last weekend, or where you had dinner, or what smart/funny/dumb thing she said last week. You don’t think twice about saying a female celebrity looks hot or comment on a certain woman’s physique. Now imagine a world where even those simple, careless comments could get you ostracized, treated differently than other people, possibly assaulted or even battered.

41. henryholland666 says: Jun 6, 2012 3:25 PM

“It’s a sin… Plain and simple”

So is eating shellfish or using certain fibers, or more importantly, committing adultery which carries with it a death penalty. When you heteros start getting stoned to death for adultery –since something like 60% of all marriages have adulterers in them and 2 to 3% of all children are the result of adultery– then I’ll take that Stone Age nonsense seriously.

C’mon heteros, let’s get those big pointy rocks saved up for the adulterers, YOU’VE never ever cheated on someone, right?

“Lets be serious. If everyone was gay, how would the world reproduce?”

Ever hear of a turkey baster? Lots of lesbians want children + wack off in to a cup = KIDS!

“I don’t go around telling everyone I meet im straight”

You sure as hell do. Do you have a picture of your spouse on your desk? Do you talk about what you and your wife/girlfriend did this past weekend? Do you make comments to co-workers when some hot woman walks past your lunch table? etc. etc.

You hetero’s rub it in our faces 24/7/365.

42. maddog111 says: Jun 6, 2012 3:28 PM

dogluverssuck says:
    Jun 6, 2012 2:22 PM
    Lets be serious. If everyone was gay, how would the world reproduce?

I’m just sayin……

———————————————-
    Chuck Norris would repopulate the earth.

43. buckybadger says: Jun 6, 2012 3:32 PM

howiefeltersnatch says:
    Jun 6, 2012 2:47 PM
    “He cut me becasue I’m gay.”

————————————

You would have said the same thing about black people in the civil movements. It isn’t working fine.

44. buckybadger says: Jun 6, 2012 3:36 PM

Oppression in the end always loses. Don’t you bigots want to be on the right said just once in history? You are the same kind of people that give death threats to Jackie Robinson and Hank Aaron and tried to keep women from voting. The bigots always try to quote some bible verse or go back to religion to why things shouldn’t change but it is always BS.

Listen I don’t like gay sex [between men] but what you do in private is your business. I work with a couple of gay guys [they aren’t a couple, just 2 gays who are gay] and they never flaunt it anymore than the straight guys in my office.

45. billobrienschindimple says: Jun 6, 2012 3:39 PM

@ ilovefoolsball

There was a great story in the last year or so about a pro rugger who came out. Pretty sure he was also captain of his national team as well, so no slouch.

Can’t think of any soccer players who were open about it to this point while still active players. I’ve been following international soccer for almost 3 decades as well.

46. tigerphins says: Jun 6, 2012 3:41 PM

Straight athletes don’t announce to the world their “preference”, so gay ones shouldn’t turn it into a public spectacle either.

If you’re gay, then be gay. Sooner or later people will recognize, and undoubtedly someone will confront you, to which you can respond, “Yup, I’m gay, you’re not my type, now let’s play some ball!”

47. commonsensedude says: Jun 6, 2012 3:42 PM

If you don’t have a problem with Davis telling the world about his personal life – his being gay – you also shouldn’t have a problem with Tim Tebow telling the world about his personal life – his being a Christian.

48. JaminJake says: Jun 6, 2012 3:50 PM

dogluverssuck says:
    Jun 6, 2012 2:22 PM
    Lets be serious. If everyone was gay, how would the world reproduce?

I’m just sayin……

___________________

Pleas don’t reproduce.

I’m just sayin……

49. footballfan71 says: Jun 6, 2012 3:53 PM

listenup823 says: Jun 6, 2012 2:02 PM

=================================

With that way of thinking by players in the NFL, what would be the outcome on teams? Would players such as Tim Tebow not throw to a WR who was openly gay for fear of religious backlash? Or a LB not tackling a gay RB for the same reason? Saying it’s a sin puts your beliefs above everyone else’s. “not bashing” ?? Oh yes you are.

50. jiminauburn says: Jun 6, 2012 3:54 PM

The way I figure it, the percentage of gay guys in football is less than in the general population. A very feminine gay guy is probably more interested in fashion than football. So they would not have had the interest in playing in the first place.

In the general population, there are two types of gay guys. The very obvious one, that after about 10 seconds after meeting them, you figure that they are gay. And then the ones you hear about later and are surprised.

I imagine in the NFL there are very few of the first type. So probably the overall number of gay guys is going to be less.

Now womens sports is something completely different. There is probably a way higher percentage of lesbians in the WNBA than the general public.

51. ronaldmexico says: Jun 6, 2012 3:54 PM

I wonder if Jason Alexander will make a similar request for cricket players.

52. AlohaMrHand says: Jun 6, 2012 3:55 PM

Ever notice its never a star player who comes out?

53. tigerphins says: Jun 6, 2012 3:56 PM

The next step in the transition of societal acceptance of gay athletes would be the creation of separate showers to minimize tension among teammates b/c unfortunately the biggest phobia most straight athletes have [regarding a gay teammate] is the thought of being sexually objectified during vulnerable moments [like showering together].

54. CKL says: Jun 6, 2012 4:01 PM

I read a fairly recent (past few years ago)book by Mike Freeman where he has an anonymous gay player talking about how it was for him and why he hid it. Based on that, I think it would be tough with the macho man attitude of a lot of players for a gay player to come out at this time.

I agree with people who hope that someday not even an eyebrow would be raised over it, but I’m not sure that will happen anytime soon.

55. ballboy48 says: Jun 6, 2012 4:02 PM

Lets be serious. If everyone was gay, how would the world reproduce?

I’m just sayin……

Guess you never heard of artificial insemination?

56. NoHomeTeam says: Jun 6, 2012 4:02 PM

dirttooliski1raven says: “I personally would be pissed if I had to play with openly gay people. Keep that to yourself! When you play ball you never anounce Hey I like girls! What is America coming to, this stuff is stupid. Just another way the secular-progressives are trying to ruin American society. i feel bad for our kids!”

I feel bad for your kids, too.

57. autumnwindindc says: Jun 6, 2012 4:07 PM

The irony of everyone opposing the idea of outed gay men playing football on Sunday being watched by, presumably, people not in church to observe the Sabbath is just too rich.

58. finsbooyah says: Jun 6, 2012 4:09 PM

The problem with a gay player coming out is NOT the public’s reaction, or fear that he’ll be hated by his teammates. They risk losing the locker room camaraderie that these players live for.

Wade Davis says it himself in the article… “Your biggest fear is that you’ll lose that camaraderie and family. I think about how close I was with [defensive end] Jevon [Kearse] and [cornerback] Samari [Rolle].”

This doesn’t mean that the players will hate him because he’s gay, but the closeness of those relationships becomes threatened. Even if the straight players don’t intend for that to happen, it could occur on a sub-consience level.

You hear retired players talking about how the locker room camaraderie/relationships is the thing they miss most about playing. No players, gay or straight want to risk that.

59. tigerphins says: Jun 6, 2012 4:11 PM

listenup823 says:

Jun 6, 2012 2:02 PM
    “It’s a sin… Plain and simple.. We all have sinned many times in our lives.. Not bashing just sayin..”
    ————————————————————
    Hey listenup823 (and the 174 idiots who gave you a thumbs up), how do those 465 THUMBS DOWN feel?? You’re outnumbered almost 3 to 1.

Even straight people are booing your ignorant, imposing, judgmental ways.

PS: Don’t you have an ancient book of tales and fables to get back to worshiping?

60. discosucs2005 says: Jun 6, 2012 4:12 PM

“I find it extremely hypocritical to tell one guy to keep quiet, and tell another guy to stand up for what he believes in.”

You realize that being gay isn’t something you ‘believe’ in, it’s a quality you obtain before birth.

Being religious and choosing a religon is just that, a choice. Being gay is not. There is also no social stigma attached to being christian in America. Tebow being christian isn’t figting any cultural bigotry interladen among all aspects of society. And finally, being gay isn’t something that you try to convert others to do, which Tebow has stated is his motivation for being so outspoken.

Coming out isn’t standing up for what you believe in, its just being who you are.

61. vader3234 says: Jun 6, 2012 4:20 PM

The only difference between a gay person and a child molester is that the gay person has found someone with the same mental disorder as himself to act out his or her sexual perversion where as a child molester finds an innocent victim. Putting aside all the “Your team sucks!” comments I can say that if my teams QB came out saying he was gay, I wouldn’t be a fan of that team anymore.

62. dknice says: Jun 6, 2012 4:20 PM

So coming out doesn’t have to be a front page story and interviews. What if the gay player wanted to bring his spouse to a family event hosted by the team. Can he introduce his mate as his spouse? That is what coming out means. I tisn’t about being on a soap box or pushing an agenda, it is about the freedom to be yourself. Can a player put his domestic partner on his benefits? That is coming out. It isn’t an agenda, it is about living an honest life.

63. shackdelrio says: Jun 6, 2012 4:21 PM

I think a player that is openly gay would be more accepted in an NFL locker room than a player that is openly atheist.

64. kadeeu says: Jun 6, 2012 4:33 PM

IMO, the only way anyone would come out is if an established vet near the end of his career did it. Younger players have way too many other problems in just trying to maintain or improve their status on the team without adding this burden.

65. discosucs2005 says: Jun 6, 2012 4:36 PM

@vader3234

What a sad lonely person you are.

66. mogul218 says: Jun 6, 2012 4:44 PM

vader3234 says:
    Jun 6, 2012 4:20 PM

Okay, you won the award for the most ignorant comment on here. Do you even believe what you say, or are you just trolling?

67. jt1419 says: Jun 6, 2012 4:49 PM

vader3234 says:
    Jun 6, 2012 4:20 PM

This is what we call ignorance. So a gay person is a child molester? Last time I checked everytime i see the news a Priest (whos straight) molested little boys….Or straight married guys…….Hate to believe we have so many bigots still left in this world.

68. 2ruefan says: Jun 6, 2012 4:54 PM

steviemo –
    Sorry but you’re apparently victim of very good story telling by the gay lobby. That “10 %” figure is made up.

The CDC estimates are 1.4-2.7 percent. And that is not “gay” men per se, but simply all men over the age of 13 who have engaged in some kind of same sex behavior (which would include experimentation) and not truly “gay” men.

69. 2manyconcussions says: Jun 6, 2012 5:02 PM

The NFL is defined by people who play professional football. In other words, being a professional football player is the defining characteristic of all the men who meet together on Sundays. So why is sexual orientation important?

Tim Tebow is ridiculed, in part, because he places his faith in God ahead of his profession. The bible is a guide for his life, and too intertwined to be a secret. He is defined by being a follower of Jesus. For some people this is a strength and for others a turn-off.

It is a different situation with respect to sexual orientation. There is no higher power of sexual orientation that guides our lives. We all have one. Yet most of us don’t define ourselves by our sexual orientation, or feel the need to celebrate it, or make it the source of a news program. The question shouldn’t be when will someone finally come out, but who cares.

I would have more sympathy for this discussion if we were talking about one’s sexual orientation simply surfacing within the activities of life, e.g. the team became aware of a male companion of one of their teammates. But no, someone has to “come out,” get interviewed, have a parade. The very idea seems ridiculous.

70. lambillio says: Jun 6, 2012 5:15 PM

to everyone who think you have such a clever argument, “just keep it to yourself! it’s a personal thing,” it’s about his being able to be himself with his team. not about showing off that he’s gay. read the article – he goes to a strip club and pretends. he pretends every day. have you ever had to do that?? it eats away at you. keep your straightness to yourself. never speak about your wife/girlfriend. in fact, pretend that you dont have one. and in fact, live in fear that anyone will find out. THEN tell me how you feel…

71. botchedextrapoint says: Jun 6, 2012 5:26 PM

Listenup823 says

If you want to get biblical make sure you mention that all sexual immorality is a sin. Basically any action or thought that isn’t about producing babies. That would pretty much include everybody. Everybody is a sinner for life no matter what you try to do to minimise it and lead a good life. I get really frustrated with Christians who single out gay people as sinners when the whole point of Christianity is about personal choice. To quote Jesus “you worry about the splinter in somebody else’s eye while not noticing the plank in your own”.

72. sabatimus says: Jun 6, 2012 5:38 PM

To all you people who think it’s not a big deal to come out, it is, especially when there’s been a LONG history of stigma about being gay. Not to mention the fact that, if you’re gay, and you’re walking around naked in a locker room with a bunch of other naked guys, your fellow players might think of you differently and it might make both you and them uncomfortable.

But it’s all about societal stigma. And the person who brought up that sinning crap can go to hell.

73. sabatimus says: Jun 6, 2012 5:42 PM

“dogluverssuck says:
    Jun 6, 2012 2:22 PM
    Lets be serious. If everyone was gay, how would the world reproduce?

I’m just sayin……”

You cannot be serious, even if you purport to be. While we’re discussing “if”s that don’t exist, if everyone were OJ Simpson, how would prisons hold all of us?

Get the picture?

74. bigharold says: Jun 6, 2012 6:12 PM

I’m against a gay life style for me, .. but that’s because I’m not gay. If somebody is then by all means knock yourself out and be as gay as you want. The 14th Amendment gives all equal protection under the law.

For us as a culture it’s OK that players run people over drunk with their car, or that they are alcoholics and or drug addicts, or that they’re wife beaters, or serial philanders, .. OR Michael Vick, who only killed dogs for sport and profit, .. but we need to debate the impact of gay players? Gay is a reality acting like it’s a choice or that it has a pejorative connotation or that it needs to be “stopped” is delusional.

Really who cares? If you don’t believe in a gay life style then date and marry people of the opposite sex and mind your own business. If a guy can play I’ve no interest in his sexual orientation.

75. wtfchiefs says: Jun 6, 2012 6:34 PM

How many players have come out openly to admit they are heterosexuals?

If an athlete, or anyone for that matter, publicly announced they are gay my reaction would be the same…..BFD!

76. cmon2012 says: Jun 6, 2012 7:04 PM

So how does privacy issues work for your if your locker room teammate is gay? Just curious

77. sweetnlow44 says: Jun 6, 2012 7:09 PM

Yeah, I hope on the player profiles that it lists team, name, height, weight, position, and sexual preference because that’s oh so important when it come to playing football. There’s no need for football players to make public their sexuality. Go promote gay awareness/pride somewhere else.

78. discosucs2005 says: Jun 6, 2012 7:14 PM

@2ruefan

“That “10 %” figure is made up.”

That figure is not ‘made up’ it is based on the Kinsey interviews. Google it.

“So, bottom line it’s probably more accurate (in the world of super machismo athletes in the NFL) to guess that WAY less than 1% would every come “out” as gay.”

Because super machismo athletes are less likely to be gay? Ever been to gym?

79. witchrunner says: Jun 6, 2012 7:29 PM

Obviously, it’s up to the individual. To those who say it is no big deal, you are partially right. I don’t think it is, but then again, I’m not the one who has to play with the team and face the potential repercussions from coming out. If you want to come out at your job and to the world that’s fine.

For those who say what heterosexual players have come openly proclaimed they are straight, obviously most of them. They don’t need a press conference, they just get married, talk about who they are dating, be seen in public kissing or holding hands. Sometimes they are commented on by the media, sometimes not. Obviously the media comments don’t include the word “straight” or “heterosexual.” Think the same courtesy would be extended to Aaron Rogers walking through downtown Green Bay holding hands with a guy?

80. btklosangeles says: Jun 6, 2012 9:52 PM

i know (for certain) of a pro bowl running back, a pro bowl and former SB winning QB (married to a woman) and a former all star shortstop (married to a woman- a lesbian) that have all engaged in sex with another guy at some point. anyone on this board would recognize their names. i’m not in a position to say that any of them are gay, but they have at least had some kind of contact with other guys in that way. and from what i’ve heard, there are a lot of other recognizable names out there. i think it’s more common than people realize.

i have friends who are gay who have tried out for pro sports teams, and from what i’ve been told, there are many heterosexual guys in the locker rooms who actually know that all this is goes on…. they just don’t talk about it, and really just don’t care one way or another. it just isn’t talked about. or cared about. at that level, most players are too wrapped up in themselves or their own performance anyway

so i dont think that an individual coming out on a major sports team would have a huge effect in the locker room, particularly in a sport like football with so many individuals in the locker room. anyway, from my own experience, i’ve realized that the team as a whole generally follows the opinions of the leaders on the team… once it is established as a team (by a few of the people that are looked up to) that something is no big deal, it’s no big deal. just another thing. but nobody wants to be the gay guy on the team. i don’t think it’s a big deal to the majority of the people in the world, or majority of the athletes on a team… but it IS a huge deal to the individual who is coming out. nobody wants to be “that guy.”

i’m gay, played rugby at a high level in college, and was outed… figured it would be the end of the world. my team could have cared less. didn’t change a thing. if anything, created more of a bond and stronger friendships. but in retrospect, until it happened, that was not the outcome i expected.

81. 2ndaryinsanity says: Jun 6, 2012 10:28 PM

Sweetnlow44, you are missing the point….no one is trying to “promote” gay pride here. If you can’t figure that out after reading people’s comments on this thread, I’m probably wasting my time trying to explain it. Unfortunately some here ARE trying to promote intolerance and ignorance.

82. listenup823 says: Jun 6, 2012 10:33 PM

I get it… People can be openly gay but people can’t be openly religious.. How hypocritical is that people?

83. howardforvezina says: Jun 6, 2012 11:45 PM

Christians, like me, are supposed respect everyone even if they are doing something strange.(in my opinion) Hate must be avoided in moments like this even if you do not like it. Hatred is not needed in anything but is created through people who cannot accept others. I strongly disagree with being gay but im not going attack anyone because of it. Hate kills everyone in the end.

84. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 7, 2012 12:21 AM

Screw who you want, just keep it to yourself. Sexuality has nothing to do with the game. I don’t care what you want to do and who you do it with, perform on the field and everything is cool.

85. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jun 7, 2012 1:45 AM

I don’t care if players are gay and I won’t hate them for it, but morally I disagree with it. So I would prefer they not have parades and press conferences announcing their sexual preference. I don’t want to know about your night life. That goes for straight players too. Can they just play football and the rest stay private please?

86. rabidmike says: Jun 7, 2012 3:33 AM

Look at all the “straight” opinions on the “gay” experience. I’m sure they appreciate all the empathy. I could careless and barely think a player coming out would be news for much longer than a week.

87. defscottyb says: Jun 7, 2012 6:10 AM

Who cares, why add distractions to your team. “Don’t ask don’t tell” same as the military. Just play football folks.

88. joetoronto says: Jun 7, 2012 7:07 AM

Why hasn’t Aaron Rodgers come out yet if it wouldn’t be a big deal in the locker room?

He lives with his boyfriend and brings him to functions, but stays in the closet.

89. 2ndaryinsanity says: Jun 7, 2012 8:07 AM

Before anyone else regurgitates the same old “it’s a sin; don’t flaunt being gay; being gay is a lifestyle choice; if you’re gay you must be a pervert or pedophile, etc” please allow me to share some of my experiences as a gay person.
    When I was 17, people threw beer bottles and bricks at me because I had the audacity to hold my girlfriend’s hand as we walked down a street. One of my best friends was killed (stabbed 52 times) because he was gay. I’ve lost count of how many times people have called me horrible names. Pretty much on a daily basis I get to hear (some) Christians (and alot of Republicans) say I’m a horrible person who’s going to hell and I don’t deserve to be treated with respect, and that I don’t deserve equal rights. My partner of 15 years had to hire a lawyer when I was in an intensive care unit and the hospital wouldn’t let her visit me since she wasn’t considered an immediate family member. Where I live, it is still perfectly legal to deny me housing or employment just because I’m gay. Of course, I could avoid all of this if I simply hide who I am and live a socially acceptable lie.
    When we talk about an NFL player (or anyone else) “coming out,” it doesn’t mean throwing a parade or having a news conference. It means this person makes a decision to stop living a lie, even if they are ridiculed and discriminated against.

90. rushmatic says: Jun 7, 2012 12:20 PM

listenup823 says:

________________________

It’s only a sin if you’ve been brainwashed into thinking so. Sin is a term created by religions to control people.

Give your alms if you will, but do it quietly for the sake of the rest of us who aren’t sheep.

91. dexterismyhero says: Jun 7, 2012 4:01 PM

Ok I’ll say it….Drew wants an explanation….

There, done.

92. duece5 says: Jun 7, 2012 5:12 PM

n0hopeleft says:Jun 6, 2012 2:35 PM

listenup823 says:
    Jun 6, 2012 2:02 PM

_______________________________

Plain and simple?

GET REAL.

duece5 says:

By that IGNORANT comment, you know NOTHING about the Catholic’s sacrament of penance, nohopeleft.

You can pray 1 or 100 Hail Mary’s. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t TRULY sorry for your actions.

Come to bat with an intelligent argument without bashing, IGNORANTLY, the Catholic sacrament.

YOU need to get real!

93. rex1979 says: Jun 7, 2012 5:38 PM

Right on duece5!

– Jerry Sandusky

94. jtylert says: Jun 8, 2012 11:30 AM

Man… the amount of discomfort people are showing over something completely irrelevant to their own lives (someone else’s sexual orientation) is shocking. I really hope players can be open about it and not have to live pretend lives their whole careers. I pray that peer-acceptance comes quickly within the NFL and that it will spread to the public.

I fear the public, as demonstrated in the comments here, is a bit behind… and that makes me sad.

95. jtylert says: Jun 8, 2012 11:32 AM

P.S. – My first two guesses are Tony Romo and Vernon Davis

96. cornerblitz says: Jun 8, 2012 11:58 AM

briang123 says:

“A star QB that is a winner needs to come out to make it go as smooth as possible. And, I root for Michael Vick every Sunday, and he is pond scum, so I will obviously root for a gay player, who is likely nothing of the sort.”

=====================================

Sure would be sweet, if any “star QB” was to come out, that it would be Vick!

97. baddorange says: Jun 8, 2012 2:23 PM

Why does this have to be publicized. I personally am sick and tired of all the commotion and constant publicity of this perversion. Do what you want, but shut your MOUTH.
    Is Aikman a candidate?

98. materialman80 says: Jun 13, 2012 12:15 PM

does anybody really think this will happen……

99. godzilla111111 says: Jun 13, 2012 4:37 PM

In the future robots will play for the NFL solving this problem forever.
    In the meantime the gubmint will keep an eye on things with its drones.