Cowboys fullback Lawrence Vickers literally had ants in his pants

Lawrence Vickers AP

Many people have been described as having ants in their pants, but Cowboys fullback Lawrence Vickers knows the reality of the situation.

Vickers hurried off the field during Cowboys practice on Wednesday with what Brent Shirley of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram thought was a groin injury. It didn’t turn out to be a muscular problem that caused Vickers to leave practice, however. It turns out that his pants were infested by ants, which is problematic since Vickers is allergic to the critters.

“I was doing the play,” Vickers said. “I was running, and I was blocking someone. Then I walk off, and I’m like ‘oh snap.’ And I pulled my pants down to see, and I saw ants. As soon as I got bit, I was like ‘no,’ because I didn’t want to freak out. I wanted to pull my pants down and run inside, but I couldn’t do that.”

Vickers showered and took some Benadryl, precautions he learned from an incident earlier this year when ant bites cause him to start wheezing while his neck swelled up. Vickers, who carries an Epipen in the event of allergy emergencies, was able to return to practice after scrubbing down.

We’ll be watching this season to see if any defensive coordinators use an ant-based strategy to thwart Dallas’ attempt to convert a short yardage play by running behind Vickers.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Cowboys fullback Lawrence Vickers literally had ants in his pants”
  1. meatfish66 says: Jun 7, 2012 10:35 AM

slow news day?

2. jacobslatter says: Jun 7, 2012 10:38 AM

Ants in the pants is almost as bad as bats in the belfry or snakes in the grass.

3. purpleguy says: Jun 7, 2012 10:44 AM

So one year they face massive wind damage and now it’s an infestation of ants? What’s next, the plague? Locusts? The return of TO?

4. Grulks says: Jun 7, 2012 10:45 AM

This doesn’t make any sense. How the hell did he get ants in there? It’s not like they just randomly appear in someone’s jock or something. Either someone had to put that ish in his gear, or more than one player should have had the same problem.

5. frankrizzo51 says: Jun 7, 2012 10:54 AM

Or a fly in the ointment.

6. dldove77 says: Jun 7, 2012 10:54 AM

Most important unanswered question: How did they get there?

7. almighty1 says: Jun 7, 2012 10:54 AM

I can imagine the media already. ANTGATE. You know because no one can come up with anything other than to add gate to the end of it.

8. hellswitch says: Jun 7, 2012 10:54 AM

Actually, I think that’s kind of funny.

9. rgi22 says: Jun 7, 2012 11:03 AM

Can we please stop calling them America’s team now

10. colinito says: Jun 7, 2012 11:05 AM

Texas ants are insane. Step on or near a mound and you’ll have them all up your leg biting you. I learned the hard way my Freshman year of college when my ankle got attacked– nothing like those friendly ants up in the Midwest.

11. joetoronto says: Jun 7, 2012 11:07 AM

Grulks says:
    Jun 7, 2012 10:45 AM
    ***************************************************
    It’s not that difficult, or uncommon.

A player puts part of his uniform on the ground and there happens to be ants there.

Viola.

12. spartan822 says: Jun 7, 2012 11:11 AM

I hate when that happens.

13. dccowboy says: Jun 7, 2012 11:14 AM

Grulks says: Jun 7, 2012 10:45 AM

===============

How about they got there when he was doing stretching on the field before practice started? It isn’t all that hard to imagine. Having lived in Dallas for 14 years I can tell you that fire ants are ubiquitous on sports fields in the area and they are not to be trifled with.

14. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Jun 7, 2012 11:15 AM

Okay, this is the kind of offseason non-news that I’ll accept. Less who is Tebow maybe dating, more Antgate.

15. DCBlueStar says: Jun 7, 2012 11:16 AM

This comment is not cute. This is serious. It might seem funny to you, because they are “just ant,” but these little things are deadly to Vickers… and with the timing of the Bounty issue, your comment crossed a line.

To do something of this nature, as a coach or player… or even suggest it as a “reporter” is disgusting considering things like this have been done to people to kill them… an have worked.

They call it attempted murder, actually.

16. grandpoopah says: Jun 7, 2012 11:18 AM

He has already suffered two separate ant attack incidents this year? Does he bathe in honey?

17. CKL says: Jun 7, 2012 11:37 AM

This is something that sounds hilarious….except if it happens to you.

18. schmitty2 says: Jun 7, 2012 11:56 AM

I’m sure the league will find a way to fine the team for illegal contact during OTA’s

19. jwreck says: Jun 7, 2012 12:00 PM

DCBlueStar says: Jun 7, 2012 11:16 AM

They call it attempted murder, actually.
    ___________
    Chill out and get a sense of humor. It is cute as opposed to serious or crossing a line precisely because “They call it attempted murder, actually.”

I had some other points to make, but I’m just gonna call it quits here. What’s the point of arguing with a guy who thinks making jokes about defensive coordinators literally murdering opposing players is “crossing a line”?

20. pooflingingmonkey says: Jun 7, 2012 12:11 PM

@DCBlueStar says:
    Jun 7, 2012 11:16 AM

Lighten up, Francis.

21. DCBlueStar says: Jun 7, 2012 12:12 PM

Before anyone crucifies me… I was being sarcastic… However in my sarcasm is honesty and truth. This does happen to people, and it is an attempted murder.

Not saying it’ll happen, but there’s some people I the nFL I wouldn’t put it past to do something like this.

Anyone see the CSI peanut butter episode? lol

22. trollhammer20 says: Jun 7, 2012 12:16 PM

These are not the ants that appeared in your apartment when you and your college buddies didn’t clean the kitchen for 3-4 days.

Fire ants have killed people, and are nothing to be messed with. I did AF Basic in San Antonio, and a couple of guys from my flight had to go to the infirmary after taking bites.

23. larryed says: Jun 7, 2012 12:24 PM

hmmm Benadryl might work on the ant bite situation BUT did he check to see if the NFL allows it? I say 4 game suspension should be in order!

24. r8rsfan says: Jun 7, 2012 12:27 PM

Lived in Ft. Worth for 5 years. Put on my pants one morning and after a few seconds started to itch. Checked and there were ants inside. After a few seconds I started to get sick so the wife took me to the emergency room where they gave me 2 shots of adrenaline, told me I could have died had I not come in as soon as I did. I now carry an Epipen. This is real people, and it can be very deadly.

25. daysend564 says: Jun 7, 2012 12:28 PM

26. marshawnlynchlookslikepredator says: Jun 7, 2012 12:34 PM

@DCBlueStar

Please god tell me you are kidding.

27. markpackman says: Jun 7, 2012 12:46 PM

Those of us who don’t have ants in our pants are laughing our a@@ off right now!

28. DCBlueStar says: Jun 7, 2012 12:56 PM

@jwreck @pooflingingmonkey @marshawnlynchlookslikepredator

Gotcha. Hook. Line. Sinker.

Try reading the rest of the comments, LOL.

29. cleverbob says: Jun 7, 2012 1:08 PM

When asked how he would have handled the situation, Brett Favre broke into song…

“Pants on the ground, pants on the ground!”

30. joetoronto says: Jun 7, 2012 1:14 PM

DCBlueStar: You’re out of order.

31. billhicks666 says: Jun 7, 2012 1:25 PM

daysend564 says:

“Anybody that doesn’t see the Cowboys as America’s team can feel free to leave the country.”

Anybody who dogmatically holds onto the outdated notion that the Cowboys are America’s team can feel free to leave the country.

32. raqaiw says: Jun 7, 2012 1:41 PM

TX ants are serious. I’m from the east coast but live in H-town and found out the hard way cutting grass near an ant mound. They attacked en masse. Was scratching and using all kinds of anti-itch stuff for 2 weeks. Thankfully I’m not allergic like Vickers.

33. beelicker says: Jun 7, 2012 2:20 PM

I once played rugby in Hammond, La on a partially submerged field (which smelled like sewer) & these same freakin’ ants were coagulated into floating balls of insect-ly menace just waiting for someone to fall on them to disperse. Best strategy was to keep your feet at all costs but if you went down you had to try to pick between landing on either them or the clumps of razor-sharp sawgrass (which is quite aptly named).

The ANT-ithesis of good playing conditions …

34. leadlap says: Jun 7, 2012 2:50 PM

Damn you, Marvel Comics, and your deception!

35. billhicks666 says: Jun 7, 2012 3:50 PM

leadlap says:

“Lemme get this straight, you’re telling me he was bitten by ants and he didn’t become AntMan?”

He didn’t become AntMan; he became half Man, half Ant, or…………………MANT!!!