Calvin Johnson says he’ll keep getting better

Wild Card Playoffs - Detroit Lions v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

Calvin Johnson is already the best wide receiver in the NFL, but he doesn’t think we’ve seen the best of him yet.

Johnson told Anwar S. Richardson of MLive.com that he believes he’s going to continue to improve as a player.

There’s always more room for growth,” Johnson said. “If you feel you’ve reached the point where you don’t have anything work on . . . I’m at a loss for words right now. Just knowing me, just myself, I always feel like there is something I can work on every year. That’s my motivation. Just things my [receivers] coach [Shawn Jefferson] and I go over. There’s always something to work on. You never stop getting better.”

Players do stop getting better, of course, when they get older, but Johnson is only 26 years old, and it’s realistic to think he can continue to work on the finer points of his game while still remaining at his physical peak. It’s a scary thought for the rest of the NFL, but we may not have seen the best of Megatron.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Calvin Johnson says he’ll keep getting better”
  1. b7p19 says: Jun 8, 2012 2:15 PM

“Calvin Johnson says he’ll keep getting better”

Good Lord, I hope not.

2. jrock3x8 says: Jun 8, 2012 2:17 PM

especially now that he’s the cover athlete for Madden, cuz Madden cover athletes always get better

3. kurmudge says: Jun 8, 2012 2:18 PM

I’m going to be the nay-sayer here. Calvin Johnson is a great wide receiver- but until he has clearly stepped ahead of Larry Fitzgerald and consistently made the toughest catches over and over again, he will remain #2.

4. gcsuk says: Jun 8, 2012 2:19 PM

Good for the Lions if this is true. Imagine what will open up if defenses have to start triple teaming him.

5. daysend564 says: Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM

…but not this year

6. sd5547 says: Jun 8, 2012 2:22 PM

Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for my third fantasy title.

Sincerely,

Last Year

7. jmerkel423 says: Jun 8, 2012 2:23 PM

could it be a article where pft has something good to say about someone who plays for the lions.

8. deeeeetroit says: Jun 8, 2012 2:24 PM

get your popcorn ready?

9. frankdatank23 says: Jun 8, 2012 2:29 PM

scary

10. detroitnorth says: Jun 8, 2012 2:39 PM

gcsuk says:
    Jun 8, 2012 2:19 PM

They have triple teamed him! How about quad teaming him!
    Megatron = Greatest of all time

11. kentonjk says: Jun 8, 2012 2:40 PM

Blackmon will be the best receiver in the NFL in 3 years

12. cletusvandam says: Jun 8, 2012 2:42 PM

Not a Detroit Lions fan, but Calvin Johnson is probably my favorite player in the NFL. I’ve gotta be honest and say I’m a little worried about him being on the Madden cover.

13. coolzog says: Jun 8, 2012 2:47 PM

The media always thinks the WR who put up the best stats last year is the best WR in the league. Not saying Calvin isn’t, but the consensus #1 seems to change on a yearly basis.

Fitzgerald was when he took his team to the Superbowl.

Andre Johnson was before last season, until he got injured.

Now that Calvin Johnson is on the Madden cover, we’ll probably be talking abouta new #1 before next season.

14. coolzog says: Jun 8, 2012 3:05 PM

“They have triple teamed him! How about quad teaming him!
    Megatron = Greatest of all time”

Considering Randy Moss was better at this point in his career in terms of production and talent, I find this laughable.

Also considering Moss produced as well or better than Johnson has for 8 more seasons, Johnson has a way to go…

Moss averaged per game:

Whole career (including loafing years):
    4.7 catches 74 yards 0.75 TDs
    First 5 years in the league:
    5.2 catches 84 yards 0.75 TDs

Johnson has averaged in his first 5 years:
    4.8 catches 77 yards 0.65 TDs

15. buzzardpointlookout says: Jun 8, 2012 3:08 PM

CJ is the best in the business.

All Hail Megatron.

16. bigboi30 says: Jun 8, 2012 3:09 PM

First, with the start Blackmon has about the only person he will be compared to is Charles Rogers or T.O.. And second don’t get me wrong,I think Larry F. Is an amazing player, but Calvin J. Has taken the #1 spot. And what is scary is Calvin can get better, he its determined to get better, he will take your breathe away for years to come.

17. elmaxoh says: Jun 8, 2012 3:13 PM

Not with the Madden curse

18. davidjcu says: Jun 8, 2012 3:18 PM

Hail Megatron!!

19. schmitty2 says: Jun 8, 2012 3:18 PM

kurmudge says:Jun 8, 2012 2:18 PM

Have you watched in football in the last few years?

20. hscdaw says: Jun 8, 2012 3:19 PM

This just in…Megatron can predict the future! He must own knowledge that Matt Stafford will remain healthy for years to come. We won’t see his “true” greatness if backups are throwing to him.

21. eaglesw00t says: Jun 8, 2012 3:20 PM

coolzog says:
    Jun 8, 2012 2:47 PM

Fitzgerald was when he took his team to the Superbowl.

Andre Johnson was before last season, until he got injured.

——————————————–

CJ2k says you crazy foo.

The best is who says they are the best son

22. bigwalt2990 says: Jun 8, 2012 3:22 PM

Stafford is going to be better. Suh is going to be better, Willie Young, the linebackers, cornerbacks (hopefully), and 0-line (hopefully). Its called consistency..not many teams do it anymore.

23. warhammer420 says: Jun 8, 2012 3:41 PM

Stafford will definitely keep getting better too. Best QB + WR combo for many years to come.

24. daysend564 says: Jun 8, 2012 3:46 PM

Just think how scary the Cowboys will be this year. They have TWO guys better than CJ.

25. matzahballz says: Jun 8, 2012 4:16 PM

CJ will go down as the most dominate wr to play and Chris Carter will present him during his induction ceremony to the HOF!

26. spartaninnh says: Jun 8, 2012 4:17 PM

@coolzog Nice try with the Randy Moss comparisons, but don’t forget that Randy had Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, and Jeff George as QB’s his first 5 years in, not to mention Cris Carter as a threat on the opposite side of the field and Robert Smith in the backfield. His team made the playoffs his first 3 years running (no pun intended).

In *his* first 5 years, Calvin lived through a 0-16 season where he was the only threat on the field, and had as QB future Hall-of-Famers like Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky, Daunte Culpepper (the version who couldn’t beat out Dan Orlovsky), Matt Stafford (1st complete season was last year), Shaun Hill, and Drew Stanton. The “threat” on the opposite side of the field was Roy Williams, traded midway through Calvin’s 2nd season. In the backfield, there was Kevin Jones (now out of football) and Kevin Smith (out of football last year until injuries hit the Lions’ backfield).

I have all the respect in the world for Randy Moss. I have more for Calvin Johnson, who went to one of the worst, most dysfunctional teams in the league, and hasn’t had a QB worth beans until last season, much less a running game to make the defense think twice.

27. korikill says: Jun 8, 2012 4:24 PM

daysend, LMAO!!

28. bdshaffer20 says: Jun 8, 2012 4:24 PM

Romo????????????????????Yeah didnt they say CJ was the third best wideout in the game last year against your boys?I think your day should end when it comes to talking football.We spotted you 20 and still rolled.Bryant is good,but dont compare him to the BEST. 132 million reasons choose one!

29. fraleyr says: Jun 8, 2012 4:26 PM

someone has to pave the way for aj green. 2 more years aj will be optimus

30. scoregasmic says: Jun 8, 2012 4:26 PM

I hate when people bring up stats to say moss is better or someone else is better than Calvin, if you just watch the guy play football…it’s amazing, I’ve never seen a guy just make every catch with defenders hanging on him, he can catch, he can run, he’s fast and he’s strong, he’s the greatest receiver I’ve ever seen. I know Jerry rice fans are gonna rip me for that and Jerry is pure greatness don’t get me wrong and he’s got Calvin on the stat line sure, but he also played for the 49ers with joe Montana, Calvin plays for the lions and had to deal with guys like Harrington and Garcia, and kit a before stafford got here. I just think talent-wise there has been no better receiver than big play cj

31. umrguy42 says: Jun 8, 2012 4:43 PM

“Players do stop getting better, of course, when they get older”

And that’s when you switch to working on how to do as well as you can with less physical ability than you used to have.

32. theecowardlylion says: Jun 8, 2012 4:52 PM

kentonjk says:
    Jun 8, 2012 2:40 PM
    Blackmon will be the best receiver in the NFL in 3 years

————————————————

Even the greats who acted stupid were actually intelligent guys. Blackmon is a guy acting like a dummy because he IS a dummy.

Is it just me or is this guy the 2nd coming of Charles Mike Rogers Williams?

33. noeffinway says: Jun 8, 2012 5:18 PM

Great story, MDS! And to think my Detroit Lions have him locked up for life…….I like that!

34. nygdriveforfive says: Jun 8, 2012 7:47 PM

Calvin is a beast. I have it Megatron/Fitz/Nicks top 3. Honorable mention to Andre Johnson.

35. staffordsyear says: Jun 8, 2012 8:59 PM

@scoregasmic

Harrington and garcia were long gone when cj was drafted but I agree with the rest.

36. bucrightoff says: Jun 8, 2012 9:51 PM

Is it even possible for this guy to get better?

37. jamezz23 says: Jun 9, 2012 1:37 PM

Calvin might not end up with the best numbers in NFL history, but he’s hands down right now one of the best to ever play the position. He’s not human, 6′ 5″, runs 4.3, 235lbs, strong and has great hands. This guy already is the best talent we’ve ever seen.