NFL Network scraps Arena Football broadcast

Johnie Kirton AP

We noted this morning that the Arena Football League players could go on strike as soon as today, and now labor unrest in the indoor league has resulted in tonight’s game being pulled from the NFL Network schedule.

The AFL sent out a press release this afternoon saying that “NFL Network will not broadcast the game due to labor uncertainty.” The Philadelphia Soul and Milwaukee Mustangs were scheduled to meet, but instead NFL Network will show repeats of Top 100 Players.

“This is unfortunate, but we understand the decision being made by NFL Network,” AFL Commissioner Jerry B. Kurz said in a statement. “The public negotiation tactics of some, have put a large number of people in a difficult situation. We will continue to work at reaching an agreement with our players and hope that those involved in the talks will proceed in a more constructive way.”

The money being argued over in Arena Football is slightly less than the several billion dollars a year that the NFL owners and players divvy up. The AFL players are demanding $600 a game, while the owners are offering $500 a game.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “NFL Network scraps Arena Football broadcast”
  1. snap0179 says: Jun 8, 2012 6:58 PM

I am sure the 3 people that were planning to tune in are devestated

2. pooflingingmonkey says: Jun 8, 2012 7:03 PM

I sure would like to see the NFL do more to support the Arena League. It would (and should) make a great minor league system for the NFL.

3. greatminnesotasportsmind says: Jun 8, 2012 7:10 PM

Arena Football players are just Arena Football players. Your slightly better than the flag football team made up of 35 year olds trying to re-live high school glory days, but your no where near NFL caliber and most BCS schools. Take what you can get for playing a sport you supposedly love.

Maybe the AFL needs replacement players. I’m not the greatest on my feet, but for $500 dollars a game, sign me up. Heck I’d do it for $400 a game.

4. dirtmcgirt24 says: Jun 8, 2012 7:21 PM

AFL games are more fun in person than on television. Except when an aspiring referee, looking to jump up to the NFL, decides to put his flag-throwing skills on tape.

5. ilovefoolsball says: Jun 8, 2012 7:40 PM

Try as I may, I can’t get into the AFL.

That whole thing where the linebacker has to stay put is just dumb.

6. astrosfan75956 says: Jun 8, 2012 8:10 PM

I sure wish the AFL was run better, arena football is quite entertaining.

7. schmitty2 says: Jun 8, 2012 9:34 PM

greatminnesotasportsmind says:
    Jun 8, 2012 7:10 PM

I’m pretty sure your no where near worth 400 bucks there Uncle Rico

8. axespray says: Jun 8, 2012 9:52 PM

NFL network should play more “classic games” … throw on some random good ones from like, the 90s or early 2000s… if the Jaguars had a good game, who cares, throw it on…

9. litemater95 says: Jun 8, 2012 9:55 PM

What is this NFL Network you speak of?

—- Time Warner Cable Peasant

10. mrvikingsfan11 says: Jun 8, 2012 10:25 PM

NFL network should not even show these games because it’s not the NFL and they are horrible.

11. covercorner says: Jun 8, 2012 10:33 PM

They could not meet in the middle at $550!? Randy Moss’s dogs get more than that.

12. roastmeforbeingacardsfan says: Jun 8, 2012 11:05 PM

@axespray Yes jags had good games. Check 96-99. They were playoff contenders and had Tom coughlin.