Nick Fairley apologizes to Lions

Nick+Fairley+Chicago+Bears+v+Detroit+Lions+QH40b9hOC25l Getty Images

Until Friday, Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley has remained publicly silent since his DUI arrest in late May.

Fairley broke that silence by releasing a statement on his Facebook page. As you probably would have guessed, Fairley went the contrite route.

“After taking some much-needed time to reflect on recent incidents, and after conversations with my advisors, teammates, and members of the Lions organization, I would like to make the following statement: I want to personally apologize to my fans, teammates and the Detroit Lions organization for bringing this unwanted attention to our team. I recognize my actions were inexcusable and I personally need to uphold the expected standard of behavior of a professional athlete. I do not take for granted this opportunity and feel blessed everyday to play in the NFL. At this time, I am fully cooperating with the Mobile, Ala. Police Department. I am now focused on moving forward and committing my focus to football. I would like to thank everyone for your concern and understanding.”

It’s fairly boilerplate stuff, but a necessary part of the process of moving forward from the arrest for Fairley and the Lions. Even more necessary will be Fairley’s realization that the words mean nothing if they aren’t accompanied by a change in actions. With two arrests this offseason, Fairley faces a possible suspension by the league and, even without it, he’ll be on a short rope going forward.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Nick Fairley apologizes to Lions”
  1. rudedog36 says: Jun 8, 2012 11:12 AM

Just tell me what to read….

2. leonitas21 says: Jun 8, 2012 11:17 AM

I think it’s so hilarious when statements like this are released and it’s so completely obvious to me that he had no part in writing it. Then the gullible media says “Nick Fairley apologizes to Lions”. Ummm no. His agent apologized to the Lions for him. Maybe he does truly feel sorry to the team, but then why not take the time to write a statement in your own words. This happens so much in professional sports when an athlete gets in trouble or is in some type of controversy and then a statement is released by them. Yeah right. Go listen to any Nick Fairley interview and then tell me those are his words. I’m not implying he can’t write so everyone knows.

3. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jun 8, 2012 11:19 AM

Bust.

4. jerrysandusky1 says: Jun 8, 2012 11:21 AM

I thought he was apologizing for his 1 sack in 10 games…

5. bigbillsfan says: Jun 8, 2012 11:24 AM

Don’t take this the wrong way, however his apology sounds like it was written by someone who is a diplomat in public relations. Fairley can’t put this type of statement out there on his own. Not smart enough!

6. pooflingingmonkey says: Jun 8, 2012 11:24 AM

Following his apology, Fairley left the podium, stopping only to throw an elbow at the nearest PR Flak.

7. jpb12 says: Jun 8, 2012 11:32 AM

2 Arrests
    1 Career Sack

Nice stat sheet

8. morgan420 says: Jun 8, 2012 11:42 AM

This sound like its a script

9. burnzy32 says: Jun 8, 2012 11:45 AM

ALL HAIL MEGATRON!!

10. theecowardlylion says: Jun 8, 2012 11:52 AM

Why is it that when I read this I envision the Miss Teen USA giving her infamous answer…..

“people out there in our nation don’t have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should….”

11. jbarr1 says: Jun 8, 2012 11:58 AM

You sorry you did it or you sorry you got caught , Nick? The 2012 off the field Lions are turning into the the off the field mid-90’s Cowboys. That’s where the similarity ends, however.

12. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jun 8, 2012 12:12 PM

“Hello. I am Nick Fairley, Defensive Tackle of the Detroit Lions. By now you’re probably sick of hearing about me and my embarrassing DUI. I have literally apologized an infinite number of times over this, and still there are calls for me to resign – calls from an annoying woman, and possibly from the media alike. Well, let me tell you something, something from the heart. I will not resign. I am not leaving this team. It will take a SWAT team to remove me from this team, and maybe not even that. There is no way I will resign. It wouldn’t be fair. Not to the good teammates I work with, not to my fans, and especially not to me. Let’s not forget who this resigning business is really all about. I need this job. My mortgage is hundreds of dollars a month. With this job I can barely cover that. I have a company car, but I still have to pay for the gas. Gas prices are high, and I have no savings whatsoever. And it wasn’t even me. It’s so not fair that they want me to resign. If I could leave you with one thought, remember: It wasn’t me. They are trying to make me an escape goat. If I am fired, I swear to God that every single piece of copier paper in this town is going to have the f-word on it. The f-word. You have one day.”

13. eurometal15 says: Jun 8, 2012 12:18 PM

I wonder what the statement would of looked like if he Fairley actually wrote it…

14. sdb0ltz says: Jun 8, 2012 12:20 PM

In other words… “After talking with my advisors and having my PR team write up this statement I decided to post it on my FB in a lame attempt to make it seem personal… excuse me while I hit this bong.”

15. nashwaakkidd says: Jun 8, 2012 12:24 PM

if he wrote that I’m the king of England ! doubt he even writes his own grocery list.there ‘s a BIG difference in being sorry for what you did and being sorry you got caught. should get suspended .

16. dude1988 says: Jun 8, 2012 12:30 PM

how many more mistakes does this team have to make before they pull that horrible NFL play 60 commercial off the air?

17. izlez says: Jun 8, 2012 12:42 PM

Actions speak louder than words written by your attourney

18. pftcensorssuck says: Jun 8, 2012 12:42 PM

They are trying to make me an escape goat.
    ———————————————————
    Funniest thing I have read on pft in months! Thanks.

Still chuckling!

19. b1gwin says: Jun 8, 2012 12:46 PM

Strong facial resemblance to Leon Lett……and as much of a self destructive idiot as Lett was at 1 point in his life.

20. tokyosandblaster says: Jun 8, 2012 12:55 PM

All better!!

21. twomoreyears1800 says: Jun 8, 2012 1:05 PM

NFL And OTHER PLAYERS:

Check Your Kicks!

Clip it Hang it Klitch it

traveling with extra sneakers or cleats use the Klitch to transport them easily!

22. jtyson433 says: Jun 8, 2012 1:33 PM

We should be happy he issued a statement at all. Even if he didn’t write it, it displays an interest in righting the ship if you will. Everyone needs to understand that this is all part of the process. Next is to accept his suspension, then show why he was worth the wait on the field. I am happy he issued the statement. If he is dominant on the field this season and continues to stay out of trouble from here forward, then this will be little more than an afterthought. He’s what, 23? Yeah he’s made stupid mistakes, but he seems to be taking the right steps to get better

23. canuckinamerica says: Jun 8, 2012 1:36 PM

And one can certainly tell this was obviously written by Fairley himself. He is the new DD for Blackmon. Would love to see all these trashy cretins working a 9-5. Or, occupying cell #347.

24. granadafan says: Jun 8, 2012 2:00 PM

Great comments on this fake “apology”. It was very obvious that the “apology” was written by his agent/ PR team and then copy and pasted on Fairley’s Facebook page. Anyone who has heard him in interviews knows that Fairley wouldn’t/couldn’t write such a dry and drab “apology” full of legalese language.

Readers called Fairley on it. It’s time the media and bloggers such as PFT started calling out athletes and their statements that were written by others.

25. maddbearfan says: Jun 8, 2012 2:34 PM

Yep and probably went home and downed a case or two to help wash the sins away. He still has plenty of time left to get arrested a third time before the seasons training camp gets under way.
    I think he and Suh ought to do a tandem arrest night. Both go party and get all drunked up ad take Suh’s Chevelle for a spin.

26. lolb23 says: Jun 8, 2012 3:10 PM

__________________________________

Yawn. Semantics. That’s a lot of crap to write about something we all already know.

27. olddawg60 says: Jul 28, 2012 6:15 PM

If he wrote it? I just read a Facebook paragraph that someone says he wrote..
    “Well, you know, I be done made some miss -takes..But you know, bad stuff happens sometimes, and you know, we jus’ gits caught up in it..Youknowhamsayin’? I been talkin’ wit’ my lawyer, you know, and I axed him to write me somethin’ for me to say I’m sorry, an’ all…
    After he done wrote it, I read it, and there was some words in it I don’t know..like inci-dents, and un’scusable, and all..Mostly, I be ‘shamed ’cause I promised my aunty I’d stay out of trouble..From now on, Ise be tryin’ hard to not hang around trouble-makers…