Steve Bisciotti confirms Ravens won’t go after Suggs’ money

Steve+Bisciotti+AFC+Championship+Baltimore+AIwRwzYmn7gl Getty Images

The return of reports that Terrell Suggs hurt his Achilles playing basketball this week led to a rehashing of the fact that the Ravens could go after some of the Defensive Player of the Year’s money because it was a non-football injury.

There’s never been even a small sign that the Ravens were planning to do that and owner Steve Bisciotti put the argument to rest for good on Friday. Calling the idea a “really bad one” that would send a “terrible message,” Bisciotti said that he wouldn’t be the least bit upset with Suggs if he did get hurt playing basketball.

“I would be more upset if he hurt himself sleeping on his couch all offseason, you know,” Bisciotti said, via Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times. “To me, if our players are engaged in activities that get them in shape then I’m proud of them for doing it. I don’t know if I would be working out in April the way these guys do what they do. I’m proud of Terrell. He got criticized for being out of shape a couple of years ago and he said it would never happen again. He made the Pro Bowl last year and then he made Defensive Player of the Year this Year. I want these guys striving. It gets pretty boring in the weight room. He wasn’t kite boarding. I’d like to see that one day. If he’s playing basketball, that’s great.”

We’d also like to see Terrell Suggs kite boarding one day. For now, though, we’ll settle for putting this story to rest once and for all. The Ravens’ response to all of this has been totally reasonable and they’re doing the best thing for the team by focusing only on when Suggs will return instead of making a mountain out of the molehill of how he was hurt.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Steve Bisciotti confirms Ravens won’t go after Suggs’ money”
  1. farty5 says: Jun 8, 2012 5:10 PM

They were never going to, the story was drummed up by ESPN

2. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 8, 2012 5:13 PM

Steve is hoping that by not going after Sugg’s money now, Terrell will be less inclined to go after Biscotti’s money later.

3. Phintastic says: Jun 8, 2012 5:20 PM

Not a fan of the Ravens, but how can you not admire this guy. He stays out of the way, and then when he does speak, says all the right things… I wish he owned the Dolphins!

4. steelymcbeam6 says: Jun 8, 2012 5:33 PM

As he shouldn’t. Suggs didnt do anything wrong, if it were something you could consider detrimental to the team then sure go after his money. Suggs is a phenomenal player and gives 100% on every play.

5. coltsluckdynasty says: Jun 8, 2012 5:35 PM

Classy move, and people say Negative things about what this orginaztion stands for. Negatives about pagano, and he will fail as head coach of the colts. If this is the type of things he’s bringing from the ravens, that makes me even more excited. At least he wasn’t out doing anything to tarnish the franchises name, like fighting, drinking an driving, smoking pot. He was doing something that any man likes to do… Play some basketball.. Hats off to the ravens, great gesture. Plus the players around the league look at this and say. I would love to work for them…. All around positives, and that my friends is hard to find…. Stay classy

6. ravenator says: Jun 8, 2012 5:39 PM

Beast owner, you only wished he owned your team.

7. raqaiw says: Jun 8, 2012 7:47 PM

Phintastic says: Jun 8, 2012 5:20 PM

He stays out of the way, and then when he does speak, says all the right thingsā€¦
    _____________________________________

One of the things I like most about this guy. As an owner you can do and say what you want, it’s your business, run it how you want. The best owners however are rarely seen or heard from in a negative light. Seems like the Krafts,Rooneys and Maras get all the positive press, but I think Bisciotti is right up there with them in terms of correctly handling things as an owner. Of course, winning helps to put a positive spin on most things, and the aforementioned owners all have enjoyed much success in that regard. Chicken and egg scenario maybe?

8. doe22us says: Jun 8, 2012 10:32 PM

I didnt quite get Schefter’s digging in to what actually happened, everyone knows he was playing bball, and it was quite clear the Ravens werent going to stiff him. This is a case of starting something when there is absolutely nothing.

9. CKL says: Jun 9, 2012 2:57 AM

But why did Suggs lie in the first place?
    HE must have known what he was doing was violating his contract.
    Bleeping greedy owners, paying a guy when they don’t have to.

10. backindasaddle says: Jun 11, 2012 1:58 AM

Bisciotti is probably afraid Suggs would attack him and he’d get rabies.