Thomas Davis gets good news about his knee

Thomas+Davis+Carolina+Panthers+v+Atlanta+Falcons+yviztGefNPCl Getty Images

Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis‘ comeback from three torn ACLs in his right knee is moving right along.

Coach Ron Rivera told the Associated Press that he is hopeful that Davis can be a contributor to the defense this season, a feeling strengthened by the news that Davis got a positive report from Dr. James Andrews about the state of his knee. That may lead the Panthers to increase Davis’ workload at next week’s minicamp. Up until now, Davis has been doing only individual work but it sounds like it is time for the next test.

Davis has missed 39 of the last 48 Panthers games as a result of his knee issues, but that didn’t stop him from making some bold predictions about what he will be able to do this season. Even if Davis might not make good on his 19-game prediction, it won’t make getting back on the field any less impressive. It is believed that Davis will be the first player ever to return to the field after suffering three torn ACLs in the same knee.

Jon Beason is also trying to return from a season-ending injury. If both are able to avoid any further setbacks, the Panthers defense will be in much better shape than it was last season.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Thomas Davis gets good news about his knee”
  1. jerrysandusky1 says: Jun 8, 2012 12:01 PM

He is playing a hyper-speed sport with the worlds fiercest athletes at a position where your knees are subject to crack backs and “cheap stevie willaims” chop blocks on every down.

I wish him the best but You have to be realistic. Unless he starts HGHing he is going to shred his knee up again.

2. godofwine330 says: Jun 8, 2012 12:07 PM

I wish him well. Even as far as he has come has been amazing. I will be rooting for him for this season and from now on.

3. saintsfan26 says: Jun 8, 2012 12:10 PM

Hey isnt he the guy the Saints offense had a bounty on? Well, according to Goodell anways?

4. dasportsninja says: Jun 8, 2012 12:14 PM

I tore my knee up playing baseball when i was 23. I am 33 now. If I knew then what I know now, I would trade all the money and glory in the world for a good knee. It sucks to walk like your 60 when you are 30. This young man needs to focus on life after football, anything else would be reckless and extremely foolish!

5. carolina1cam says: Jun 8, 2012 12:17 PM

Would be a huge boost to the Carolina defense and a great comeback story if he were able to contribute this season. He’s been a great teammate here willing to restructure his contracts to earn what he’s getting. Kudos to the FO for giving him opportunity to get healthy so many times. High hopes for TD this season.

6. tarheelpirate says: Jun 8, 2012 12:26 PM

TD deserves all of the good news he gets. It has been impressive to see how he has carried himself through all of these injuries. His presence in the Charlotte-area community has been constant. He’s an outstanding football player, but he is a much better person.

7. doe22us says: Jun 8, 2012 1:04 PM

Three times on the same knee means that his knee is done, any minimal contact may be extremely devastating.

8. twomoreyears1800 says: Jun 8, 2012 1:07 PM

NFL And OTHER PLAYERS:

Check Your Kicks!

Clip it Hang it Klitch it

traveling with extra sneakers or cleats use the Klitch to transport them easily!

9. flapjackdaddy says: Jun 8, 2012 1:18 PM

There’s a part of this you missed, Josh.

Dr. Andrews took a patella tendon from his left knee and replaced his thrice-torn ACL with it.

Andrews said his right knee should be stronger than his left knee. Hard to believe, but he said it.

I’d say that gives him a much better shot than if they just repaired his thrice-torn ACL again.

10. dacapt704 says: Jun 8, 2012 1:51 PM

dasportsninja says:
    Jun 8, 2012 12:14 PM

————————————————-

You dont get it..these guys are BUILT differently than you and me…there is no tomorrow, only the next play. And its easy for you to say that now in hindsight, plus im pretty sure you werent making the coin that TD is making. Check his contract…lots of incentive to get back on that field.

11. jgedgar70 says: Jun 8, 2012 3:28 PM

I echo tarheelpirate; TD has been an outstanding member of the community and does not deserve the misfortune that he has suffered the last 3 years. The first 2 injuries didn’t even involve contact (slip on the Superdome turf, backpeadling during a minicamp drill), and the last one came when a teammate rolled into him. During all this, some creep stole a sweet classic car of his. It’s about time things went his way for a change.

Having Beason starting, TD contributing, Brandon Hogan at corner (he had just torn an ACL at West Virginia when we drafted him), all the special teams aces we signed, and adding Tolbert to the list of Cam’s weapons, and we have ample reason to believe the NFC South is ours for the taking.