Come 2014, Niners fans will need plenty of gold

20120608_090914_ssjm0609stadium90_500

When it comes to the economics of the NFL, a supply of seats in a new stadium results in a demand for higher ticket prices.

With the last three new venues resulting reportedly in an average increase of 26 percent, the 49ers will be driving that number a lot higher when they christen their new building in two-plus years.

According to Mike Rosenberg of the San Jose Mercury News, many of the 50,000 seats at the team’s new stadium will cost twice as much as similar seats at Candlestick Park.

Every chair in the Santa Clara structure will have a Personal Seat License attached to it, starting at $2,000 and peaking at $12,000.  Tickets then range from $85 to $200 per game.

(It’s unknown whether there’s an extra fee for electricity during night games.)

Previously, the Niners sold 18,500 premium seats, with PSLs ranging from $20,000 to $85,000, with tickets ranging from $325 to $375 per game.

“That’s absurd,” said Greg Colburn, who currently has season tickets in the upper reaches of Candlestick.  “Just as a fan, I’m tired of being priced out of where I’m sitting.  Oh, well.  The best place is on my couch in front of a brand-new TV.”

Rosenberg points out that Raiders game can be attended without payment of a fee for the privilege to sit in the seat, and with seasons tickets that range from $26 to $96 per game, and club seats that range from $126 to $151 per game.

Although the Niners had a significant resurgence in 2011 (which they may or may not maintain), the Raiders look to be the much better bargain.

Then again, the best bargain of all may indeed by taking what it would cost to take the family to a single game and buying a giant TV on which all of them can be enjoyed.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Come 2014, Niners fans will need plenty of gold”
  1. oldbyrd says: Jun 9, 2012 2:55 PM

Won’t be long before the good old fan will not be able to own season tickets, if not now. Only the super rich and corp”s will own tickets. Somehow that just doesn’t seem fair.

2. ctiggs says: Jun 9, 2012 2:55 PM

You have to pay to watch excellence #GoNiners

3. greglloydrules says: Jun 9, 2012 3:00 PM

This is why it’s not worth going to games anymore. With all the camera angles they have these days I would rather watch the games at home in HD on a DVR and a cold beer that doesn’t cost $10. Even hockey is not worth it live anymore.

4. sportsking604 says: Jun 9, 2012 3:01 PM

So far the only arms they will have are part of those high priced chairs…They better get a QB if they wanna keep those seats full.

5. canetic says: Jun 9, 2012 3:03 PM

First rule of the NFL — screw the fans

6. dryzzt23 says: Jun 9, 2012 3:04 PM

oldbyrd….bring on the class warfare.

Guess what, most of the 49er fans are rich liberals – I don’t see them handing their tickets to the poor and “disadvantaged”.

7. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 9, 2012 3:04 PM

All you flaming 49ers fans better enjoy this glimmer of hope now because I promise you it will be short-lived. Your quarterback is still, in fact, Alex Smith.

8. go49ers says: Jun 9, 2012 3:07 PM

When I met with the 49ers sales rep who was trying to sell me club seats from $20,000-$80,000 for PSL’s, my mind was made up. But, I was curious to see what they had to offer. He said if you go to other new stadiums, they have the same fees and features. In the end, I wasn’t sold.

It’s unfortunate for us Season Ticket holders that the 49ers are making this a far reach for us to continue as Season Ticket holders. I mean, it’s exciting to know we’re getting a new stadium, but I guess it’s going to look just as good in front of my large flatscreen. Lol!

9. truninerfan49 says: Jun 9, 2012 3:07 PM

I just don’t understand why people pay big Money to attend nfl games. Nothing beats watching the game at home. You can eat the food you want, buy a 12 pack for 10.00, no line for the bathroom and you don’t have to listen to annoying people around you. Scratch the last one if your wife hangs around the house on Sundays.

10. scgunderson says: Jun 9, 2012 3:07 PM

I remember a story of when Arthur Blank bought the ATL Falcons. Blank lowered the Season tickets to like $100 to gain interest… Good man, made it so the common person could own season tickets.

11. steeler1nation says: Jun 9, 2012 3:08 PM

Too many darn tax-to-death/spend-to-death LIBERALS running that state! Watch, in a few years, the rest of the country will have to BAIL OUT California. Guaranteed. It’s coming.

12. mullman7675 says: Jun 9, 2012 3:08 PM

The 9ers get back in the sun for one season and the first thing they look to do is stick it to the fans for more $$$. Maybe back taxes for the Montana/Rice years. However, I’m sure the RAIDERS will raise the prices as soon as the A’s leave and they can put some grass over that effing dirt.

Either way, the RAIDERS are going about the business of winning. Big Reg has the franchise moving in the right direction.

13. nyyjetsknicks says: Jun 9, 2012 3:09 PM

oldbyrd says:
    Jun 9, 2012 2:55 PM

_______________________

Business will always try to get as much money as they can for their product. This is nothing new.

14. carlsbadboltfan says: Jun 9, 2012 3:10 PM

ctiggs says: Jun 9, 2012 2:55 PM

You have to pay to watch excellence #GoNiners
    ———————————————————————————–
    So will you be paying? Sounds like it’ll be cheaper just to get them through stub hub or some other way.

15. skoobyfl says: Jun 9, 2012 3:10 PM

One decent season does not a team make.

16. dumptrucked says: Jun 9, 2012 3:12 PM

The NFL in all thier greed for new stadiums may very well be the cause for their own downfall. The fan experience is so much better at home already on HD TV’s with tons of instant replay, DVR’s for rewinding and rewatching plays, having access to fast internet for fantasy and other news, and all while being able to sprawl out on the couch.I will never pay to go to a game again, and the greed and expense tied to these stadiums is pricing out most fans. Sellouts will become less common and sure blackouts will be a pain but there are so many cheap alternatives to get around the blackout. The NFL will soon see their profits come back to reality, and while they wont go bankrupt or anything like that, they will see that their greed has hurt them, not enriched their financial or social position.

17. bobhk says: Jun 9, 2012 3:13 PM

It’s free market economics. If indeed the prices are too much, the buyers will vote as such by not buying.

18. dreadpiratesteve says: Jun 9, 2012 3:13 PM

ctiggs says: Jun 9, 2012 2:55 PM

You have to pay to watch excellence #GoNiners

Comments like that are what allows teams to charge exorbitant and unreasonable prices for games. Some people don’t have the common sense to say enough already!

19. davester37 says: Jun 9, 2012 3:15 PM

“It’s unknown whether there’s an extra fee for electricity during night games.” Nice Candlestick reference, Florio.

20. gothwolf says: Jun 9, 2012 3:34 PM

I still say the Yorks are the worst owners in the league. The Niners are purely a money making endeavor for them. It’s disgusting to watch them essentially pimp a franchise they had no involvement with when it built it’s fanbase and legacy.

Their number one goal once they got the team was a new stadium and after a decade they finally had a winning season and got what they wanted. And they’re moving closer to Silicon Valley to tap into all that tech money.

21. LoCoSu@%s says: Jun 9, 2012 4:51 PM

So does anyone know how much it costs in the new stadiums at
    a) Arlington TX
    b) Giants/Jets stadium

I’m willing to bet its not cheap and parking costs are likely high too.

While I don’t like it, that is the way of the future and any new stadium being built is going to price out the common fan.

Sucks – but don’t single out the Yorks or the 49ers for this. Every NFL owner is in it to make lots of $$s while trying to win the Superbowl.

22. briguy5 says: Jun 9, 2012 4:54 PM

Smart fans will just wait until the tickets hit the secondary market. Believe me, after the excitement of that first home game wears off, they will be selling for about 50% face value and with no PSL fee attached.

23. stataddict says: Jun 9, 2012 4:56 PM

How can the Raiders games be considered a better value if you have to watch the Raiders?

24. gadzod says: Jun 9, 2012 4:59 PM

I am stationed in Little Rock AFB, Arkansas, and I have Buffalo Bills season tickets. I am 12 rows from the field between the 5 yard and the end of the end zone. I pay $75 a ticket, or about $1,260 for the two seats. The stadium is crappy, but at least Ralph makes it affordable for Mr. Middle Income Hard Worker to attend games. People want a new stadium. Why? Just update the one we have, and the ticket prices stay low. Why get a flashy $800M+ stadium, when $150M in face lifting gets the job done just as good, and ticket prices go up MAYBE $5-10 a game? Screw PSL’s, screw $330 a seat per game ticket prices. If it gets that bad, I’ll give up my tickets and happily pay the $199 for Sunday Ticket, and I get the watch the game in my boxers with a brewski and some wings!

25. trollhammer20 says: Jun 9, 2012 5:03 PM

The $anta Clara 49er$.

26. hedleykow says: Jun 9, 2012 5:08 PM

The best ticket in town is still NFL Sunday Ticket.

Once you go with the Ticket, you’ll never Kicket.

27. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Jun 9, 2012 5:08 PM

Those of us who have the ability to use our brains wait until 3 hours before kickoff and buy a pair off Craigslist for $40 per seat

28. buckeyefan1026 says: Jun 9, 2012 5:15 PM

We need more owners like Arthur Blank and Randy Lerner. Although Lerner gets things screwed up quite a bit, he has a ton of passion for the Browns, the city, and TRYING to build a winner (sigh…). He has managed to keep ticket and beer prices towards the bottom of the league despite all the other owners urging him to raise prices due to collective sharing (or whatever its called). These guys have it right, fill the stadiums and let the fans have a great experience since the alternative of watching it at home is equal if not better for most people. Fans will go to games if the price is right (shout out to Bob Barker) and in turn will spend the money they save on tickets on things that will make their experience better (apparell, refreshments, food, souveneirs etc…)

29. steeltuff says: Jun 9, 2012 5:22 PM

The NFL doesn’t care if the average fan cannot afford to go to the stadium . . . TV revenues are their biggest money maker . . . they know fans are going to watch the games at home. The networks are making the NFL rich and, in turn, the advertisers are making the networks too. Joe Fan loses out in the end, as he always does, by paying high cable/satellite costs, but at least he has the choice of how he’ll be paying through the nose.

30. bobhk says: Jun 9, 2012 5:31 PM

gothwolf says:
    Jun 9, 2012 3:34 PM

———-
    It’s a business first. Not a non profit organization. Besides, the move closer to Silicon Valley does give them more money. That helps in getting FA players.q

31. 49erstim says: Jun 9, 2012 5:38 PM

Florio….nice subtle jabs…keep ‘em coming.

I see a couple of buffoons above chose to bash the QB in an article about ticket prices…Sheesh…you guys are like parrots. Keep repeating that tired garbage. It actually helps distinguish those that have real opinions and those that repeat what they read. Very unintelligent.

okay…..ticket prices…. Absurd. This has become a recurring theme. These prices are getting out of hand, but as long as they sell them they’ll never have a reason to lower them. Vote with your money folks! I actually enjoy the stadium experience as long as I have good seats. Overpriced food and beverages not withstanding. I’m like everybody else though, wherein that my large flat screen and comfy chair outfitted mancave is becoming preferable more often than not…. Sunday Ticket and invite friends over. They bring the pizza! :-)

32. steviemo says: Jun 9, 2012 5:39 PM

It’s called greed. It’s the NFL way.

33. rcali says: Jun 9, 2012 5:45 PM

I would just like to thank all the suckers who will by buying those PSL’s so I can watch every 49er game from home.

34. sonoco says: Jun 9, 2012 5:52 PM

@gothwolf:

You think you know but you don’t know. I’m not saying the Yorks are perfect, not even close. But first, the 49er franchise needed and deserved a new stadium . . . no question. Second they received a whopping 4% in public money which was already ear-marked for development anyway. The remaining 96%, nearly $1 billion dollars, has been financed BY THE YORKS and the Stadium Authority through private loans and NFL funding that must be paid back . . . it’s pretty hard to pay back loans without generating income and ticket sales alone won’t make it happen.

And by the way, the Falcons and Mr. Blank are already whining about the Georgia Dome and want a new outdoor stadium with a retractable roof. Ask him if he feels like financing it himself.

35. ern215 says: Jun 9, 2012 5:59 PM

I wouldn’t watch the 49ers live or at home if you paid me to do it

36. marshawnlynchlookslikepredator says: Jun 9, 2012 6:05 PM

No game experience can beat Sunday Ticket and a big screen tv… That being said, the majority of good NFL teams still sell out their games regardless of ticket prices. I doubt we will see that change for awhile.

37. kidpresentable says: Jun 9, 2012 6:13 PM

I like how people blame high PSLs on whatever political party they disagree with. PSLs suck, but they do ensure that those using the stadium absorb more of the cost than taxpayers.

Rather than pay $10k for a PSL, you are better off not buying season tickets, picking the games you care about, and paying $75 more than face value on Stub Hub. Plus, then you don’t get stuck with preseason games.

38. jimmysee says: Jun 9, 2012 6:16 PM

There is no reason why taxpayers should subsidize stadium construction, and then high ticket prices are tax deductable for businesses!

That’s a double whammy no local yokel should have to swallow.

39. lolb23 says: Jun 9, 2012 6:50 PM

They raised the prices to keep all the Mexican gang members out (after that Dodger fan was almost killed).

40. rayguyreturns says: Jun 9, 2012 6:53 PM

Just to put this in perspective:

I just looked at my old “Heidi Game” ticket. Raiders vs. Jets game that set new TV rules.

$5.50 reserved.

Now, do you really want to pay the prices today to watch these games live ?
    I like to DVR the darn things and FF the commercials and the referee review crap.

It makes the games not only free, but enjoyable.

41. sonoco says: Jun 9, 2012 6:54 PM

@jimmysee

I agree 100%. However the citizens of the City of Santa Clara or any other city did not and will not subsidize the 49ers stadium construction. The 49ers got about $40 million from a local redevelopment agency which which will be re-paid through property taxes from the site.

42. bmort789 says: Jun 9, 2012 6:56 PM

This is just one of the many reasons why the NFL is soon to stand for Not For Long…

43. hedleykow says: Jun 9, 2012 6:57 PM

jimmysee says:
    Jun 9, 2012 6:16 PM

That’s a double whammy no local yokel should have to swallow.

==================================

The “Socialist” European governments probably won’t fall for the NFL’s extortion practices like we so readily do here in the USA. The NFL loves themselves some corporate welfare. They might have second thoughts about expanding to places where they don’t get a free ride on the backs of the working class.

44. cali49er707 says: Jun 9, 2012 7:00 PM

im an average joe, with a regular job & i dont care what the cost is!!! i LOVE the 9ers alot more then any of the other professional teams i follow & i will make it to my one game a year, and watch the remaining from home!! just because, i dont have cash to throw down for season tickets doesn’t mean i dont love my team!!!

45. eyeh8goodell says: Jun 9, 2012 7:07 PM

All I can do is point and laugh at the lemmings who will line up to plunk down large sums of their hard earned money to pay for ridiculously overpriced tix to see a ridiculously watered down NFL product…….only to step out into the parking lot to be beaten or shot by a rival oakland fan.

46. thcnote says: Jun 9, 2012 7:16 PM

Who cares going to games sucks anyway. Watching 3 tvs at home with the ticket is where it’s at.

47. raiderrob21 says: Jun 9, 2012 7:40 PM

The true fans get screwed on new stadiums. Priced out. The inaugural year should do well as most seats will be bought by corps. It will only remain full if the team is winning, if not there will be some expensive empty seats.

48. jerrysandusky1 says: Jun 9, 2012 7:45 PM

A lot people say going to games “sucks” and “i’d rather watch my flat screen”….Are you joking?

I’ve attend one Redskins AWAY game for the past 4 years and I tell you, there is nothing like the stadium experience.

Granted, beer and nacho prices are sodomy, but to not only hear and FEEL the silence (or roar) from the crowd on an amazing play is second to none.

The crowd, noise, and passion at Seattle was awesome. Watching those sultry Iggles fans do the walk of shame while I belted out Hail To The Redskins, Legendary.

Check out a game for your self. Don’t just regurgitate what you read online or heard some one say.

49. SparkyGump says: Jun 9, 2012 8:22 PM

The NFL is risking pricing itself beyond the reach of most families.

50. bigbluefan1 says: Jun 9, 2012 8:26 PM

Anyone who thinks watching at home is better is out of there minds and says that to hide behind the truth either you fear crowds or you can not afford a ticket.
    The price of food is out of this world so tailgate eat before the game its only three hours you can go with out eating for three hours.
    Beer prices do not drink plain and simple have a couple in the parking lot and again when you get safely home.
    As a season ticket holder I would be very happy if all beer sales stopped for ever no beer ever sold.

Folks double fisting beer at $8.00 a pop that is just dumb.
    Even prior to PSL’s tickets were not cheap who wants to get drunk and miss what they paid for?

And I do drink will have a few before the game and then again when I am back at home not downing beers getting on the highway risking my life and the lives of others for a few more beers.

51. snargi01 says: Jun 9, 2012 9:13 PM

Last time I paid to see a NFL game it was Neon Deion’s Falcons at the LA Rams and those were last row end zone seats. I’m just fine at home or at a sports bar watching the games.

52. thesveed says: Jun 9, 2012 9:29 PM

This is why I’d prefer the Raiders play in an older stadium. Sure I would love a fancy new place for the Silver & Black to play, but when that happens I will be priced out of my season tickets. As will the vast majority of the fans.

53. pantherpro says: Jun 9, 2012 9:29 PM

Hey Mullman,

The Raider fan can’t afford the $26.00 seats offered last year. You will be giving seats away again this year! Hello LA? The Niners dominate the bay and you remain the ugly step sister!

54. granadafan says: Jun 9, 2012 9:31 PM

I used to attend games at Candlestick. The in stadium experience is fantastic and can’t be beat no matter the size of TVs at home. However, the exhorbitant cost of attending games is no longer worth it. I’ll stick with going to college games and watching the NFL on tv and my own beer.

55. bluelifer says: Jun 9, 2012 9:45 PM

Hahaha who would pay that to see the mediocre niners lol before last season can anyone evn remember the last time they even competed i think i was like 12 lol

56. pantherpro says: Jun 9, 2012 10:39 PM

Hey The S Veed

What Raider Fans? The ones who can’t sellout the smallest stadium in NFL and are on FM radio. Second lowest revenues in NFL? Just trash baby!

57. thraiderskin says: Jun 9, 2012 10:39 PM

wow… that didn’t take long. One good season and they want the fans to pay up. That is a damn shame, because when all those fans can’t afford the tickets and try to watch the game at home, it’ll be blacked out. There has got to be a better way to do business. Perhaps some 9er fans need to call their state representatives and find out why the team feels the need to gouge them. My money is on there being a lot more to this then is being explained.

58. 6250claimer says: Jun 9, 2012 10:43 PM

I’m a Cardinals season ticket holder. We have one of the top 2 or 3 stadiums in the league, built in ’06, with retractable roof and real grass. Our seats are in the lower level corner, 32 rows up. Cost? $75 apiece. Reserved parking? Complimentary (some lots are $20, those that aren’t immediately next to the stadium, gratis). PSLs? Surely you jest. You can bet the Bidwill family is still making tons of cash without having to stick a gun in our ribs and demand an insulting PSL fee.

So something is WAY out of whack here. I’m a capitalist and I get the whole supply/demand end of the argument, but the Yorks are pulling off a pure money grab here, and the sad fact is that a LOT of Niner faithful have been season ticket holders for decades – and are now having the door slammed shut on them. That is a cryin’ shame.

59. bnwpnw says: Jun 9, 2012 10:48 PM

Don’t forget the cost of gas to drive an hour south of the city.

60. smfdan says: Jun 9, 2012 10:53 PM

People seem to think that a sports team is a public utility. Its not. It is a business. If you owned a shoe store, and found a shoe that only you had in the Bay Area then you would charge whatever the traffic would bare for as long as you could.

Somehow, people that say they believe in free enterprise are the first to bitch about “their” team charging what they can.

Amazing

61. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea says: Jun 9, 2012 11:50 PM

1) NFL games will probably be pay-per-view for each game in the near future (you know it’ll happen) so there goes the “rather be at home” argument

2) Dallas fans will probably still make up half the stadium when the Niners and Cowboys play again in the new stadium (smh…)

62. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea says: Jun 9, 2012 11:55 PM

@6250claimer s

Arizona’s state government vs California’s Soviet politburo.

/The End.

63. djstat says: Jun 10, 2012 2:28 AM

PSL fees are part of football. DEAL

64. rextraordinaire says: Jun 10, 2012 2:29 AM

suddenly, all the 6 minutes of commercials/12 seconds of kickoff/6 more minutes of commercials nonsense doesn’t seem so bad. Beer and seating is better at my place too

65. bobhk says: Jun 10, 2012 3:22 AM

6250claimer says:
    Jun 9, 2012 10:43 PM

—————–
    @6250claimer, with all due respect, you don’t get capitalism if you make this statement.

In the end it *is* based on demand for the product. An iPad costs at least $500. There are a many many Android tablets you can get for half the price. Yet, iPad is consistently selling out. No one complaining that Apple/Jobs are just ripping people off. If they did the product won’t sell.

Now, I am not saying that Niners are iPad or Cards are android tablets. But you get the picture. iPad is not two to three times better than other tablets.

Personally, I do think it’s too much to pay to watch the games. But, if someone has the money and wants to spend it, fine.

If, in the end, the experience is not that great (I hope not, as a niners fan), they’ll be forced to lower the price.

66. joetoronto says: Jun 10, 2012 5:05 AM

I understand the complaining, I really do, but this is capitalism at work here, nothing more.

To the fans who say their owner is great because he charges less, he charges less because he can’t get more.

Hello???

When they cross the line and attendance goes down, THEN they’ll drop ticket prices, not before.

67. joerevs300 says: Jun 10, 2012 10:09 AM

First of all, this isn’t some mickey mouse NFL team. The 49ers have a steeped history of success in the NFL.

Secondly, I don’t think they are going to have a problem selling out a brand new stadium, PSL’s or not, given the crap-hole that Candlestick Park has been, for sure one of the worst venues in the NFL to watch a game.

Totally agree with those who have said the NFL is reaching the point of pricing people out.

But when you look at the Steelers and Packers, two teams that have waiting lists that exceed 10,000 people or more, I think reporting the death of people watching games in person is a little exaggerated. Bad teams will still have bad attendance, no matter what.

Baseball has the cheapest professional tickets around, the Indians were in first place, and they drew 9,000 people. That should show you the gap between them and the NFL in popularity.

68. nepaseahawk says: Jun 11, 2012 10:46 AM

sorry kids… no vacation this year daddys goin to a football game instead.
    thanks for everything corporate america

69. ludachrisgsx says: Jun 14, 2012 1:06 PM

What I love is how the owners never want to have to come out of pocket to build one of these super stadiums – they want the locals to pay for it through taxes – and then they charge insane ticket prices once it’s built. The locals assume all (or most) of the cost to get it built and then are charged ridiculous prices to attend the games, and if it doesn’t sell out, they black out the games so the local fans can’t watch it on TV, as if a sell out is necessary for them to make a profit…

The owners get nothing but profit out of it with little risk. Perfect business model really, wish I had the money to buy an NFL team. It’s pretty sad to watch. I’m a Raiders fan and honestly, it’s almost better if they just moved away. Then I wouldn’t be affected with the black outs if the new stadium didn’t sell out. Feel bad for you blue collar Niners fans out there. Congrats on the new stadium, and my condolences at the same time.