Isaac Redman has no doubts he’s ready to lead the Steelers

Pittsburgh Steelers' Redman is stopped just short of the goal line by Denver Broncos' Goodman during the third quarter of their NFL AFC wildcard playoff football game in Denver Reuters

New Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley is expected to implement a run-first offense in Pittsburgh, and the biggest question is who will do most of the running. After Rashard Mendenhall suffered a torn ACL in Week 17, it appears that the carrying the load will fall to Isaac Redman. And Redman says he’s ready for that.

“Rashard and I really haven’t spoken that much,” Redman told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We both understand that he’s working as hard as he can to get back. I’m working hard to lead this team until he gets back to 100 percent, and I don’t doubt that I can.”

Redman has every reason to be confident after the way he played when Mendenhall went down: In that Week 17 game when Mendenhall was hurt against the Browns, Redman stepped in and had 19 carries for 92 yards. The next week, in the Steelers’ playoff loss to the Broncos, he had 17 carries for 121 yards. Redman says that’s what gives him confidence in himself, and his teammates confidence in him.

“Ever since I’ve been here, I’ve been doubted by everybody — except the players and coaches,” Redman said. “They understand the type of player I am, and it’s why they’ve kept me around. They see something in me, so I never doubt myself. I’m ready to get out there. Hopefully, I’ll surprise everybody.”

Redman called learning Haley’s offense “difficult,” but he said he’s sure the Steelers will make progress.

“It’s tough right now because everybody’s trying to learn this playbook,” Redman said. “You can’t really play as fast you would like to because we’re doing a lot of thinking right now. It’s been a learning process. By the time we get to training camp, we’ll have this thing down. I want to come into camp mentally ready to play.”

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Isaac Redman has no doubts he’s ready to lead the Steelers”
  1. cbass59 says: Jun 9, 2012 9:16 AM

Redman is Ray Rice without the drama and showboating.

2. ravenator says: Jun 9, 2012 9:24 AM

I have some serious doubts. Try not getting Tebowd before you speak.

Oh and cbass, you’re honestly the epitome of a typical steeler fan, you really think that? Really? Redman can only run, Rice can catch in the backfield, act as a receiver, and run a hell of a lot better than Redman ever will. Rice is 10x the back Redman will ever be.

3. ravenator says: Jun 9, 2012 9:25 AM

Oh and learning haley’s offense will be even more difficult when this team is imploding. Please please please get your excuses ready, I’ll be here to say I told you so.

4. lolb23 says: Jun 9, 2012 9:27 AM

Steelers window closed years ago.

5. deljzc says: Jun 9, 2012 9:27 AM

He’s going to be a very productive player in a much more productive offense now that Bruce Arians is finally gone.

There will be some growing pains, but Haley will call a much more balanced and unpredictable game as O.C.

I disagree it’s going to be “run-first” like some think. This is still Roethlisberger’s team and we’re still going to throw 55-60% of the time in the first half to get the lead. But hopefully we’ll be better prepared and less predictable in our run game when we need it.

6. pftcensorssuck says: Jun 9, 2012 9:35 AM

” I’m working hard to lead this team”

Ben Roethlisberger is amused by that.

7. skodi says: Jun 9, 2012 9:43 AM

cbass59 says:
    Jun 9, 2012 9:16 AM
    Redman is Ray Rice without the drama and showboating.

….and the starts…and the carries…and the catches..and the Td’s. Yep..exactly the same different guy.

8. njsteeler says: Jun 9, 2012 9:56 AM

I’m very confident in Isaac’s abilities also. The thing I like about him is that he HITS the hole, and can move a pile. Rashad danced too much for my liking at times, but I don’t have to worry about that with Isaac. He’s a big back that can run, and I don’t have to worry about seeing him make a spin move everytime he runs the ball. The running game is in capable hands. Hopefully the rookies along the line can come in and be effective. If so the running game will be just fine!

9. cannonballdookie says: Jun 9, 2012 10:34 AM

I think Redman will be an upgrade over Mendenhall. People outside of Pittsburgh act like Mendy is a big loss but they didn’t watch him play last year. He only had one or two good games, he was nothing special. It takes him too many carries to get going.

10. cnmiddel says: Jun 9, 2012 10:54 AM

How do you think that their window closed years ago? Did you not see them in the superbowl a year and a half ago?

11. wldkat says: Jun 9, 2012 11:19 AM

To the people who say Pittsburgh’s window has closed: Just remember, any time you have a franchise QB, you are a contender. And it will be a new offensive line this year, so LOOK OUT !!!

12. vasteelerfan says: Jun 9, 2012 11:41 AM

Redman is no rice, but does what is needed. His career is too short to evaluate against little ray.

13. clashpoint says: Jun 9, 2012 12:00 PM

Last year IRed’s average per carry was 4.35 (albeit in only 110 carries,) and that doesn’t include his stellar game against the Broncos where he averaged over 7 yards per carry. As the offensive line looks to be better, and the offense in general looks to be more diversified and include more play-action passes to keep the defenses honest, that average might well improve. He runs hard, strong, downhill and violently. Steeler fans know his work ethic and see that rock-hard stout physique, and they figure he should be durable and reliable enough to fill Mendenhall’s shoes admirably – and perhaps even improvablyx.

However! Some words of advice, mi amigo, based on what I saw in both his last two games; and really good advice for every back, everywhere.

TWO HANDS ON THE BALL.
    Denver was trying to rip that ball like it was one of my parking tickets.

14. Deb says: Jun 9, 2012 1:25 PM

Redman says the coaches and players haven’t doubted him–who else is there? The fans have always been behind him. I have no doubt he can lead our backs in Mendenhall’s absence–and look forward to seeing the Steelers get back to a more balanced running attack.

15. juststeel says: Jun 9, 2012 3:16 PM

We have seen the last of Mendenhall. Ike will be more than capable of replacing him. No more throwing the ball on 3rd and less than a yard.

16. cbass59 says: Jun 9, 2012 6:49 PM

Hahahaha

I knew my comment would get a reaction from Raven fans. Yes, Redman is still mostly unproven. However, he’s a LOT cheaper, isn’t holding out, and is not a distraction.

Oh, and he acts like he’s been in the endzone before when he scores. Rice is almost done as RBs last about 3-5 years. Redman is just getting started. Can’t wait for the Ravens to overpay for a RB in a passing league.

It’s too bad Lee Evans can’t catch and your kicker can’t hit chip shots. Your window closed. How’s T Fizzle btw?

17. daburgh1985 says: Jun 10, 2012 1:47 PM

Redman isn’t a game changer at RB, but he has good vision and grinds out every xtra yard…can’t ask more of a north south power back with deceptive speed…especially with the implement of Haley’s new system…be nice to have a speedster though to compliment Redman and mendenhall whenever he does return

18. agc99 says: Jun 11, 2012 9:29 PM

Ike for 1400 yards. Write it down.

19. gnutella0 says: Jun 20, 2012 5:29 PM

If the Steelers’ window ever even closed, then they’re about to kick it back open thanks to an improving offensive line and a better offensive coordinator/system.

By the way, there’s talk that Sean Spence could start at LILB this season, and if that happens, then here’s the age breakdown of the starters on defense by the end of the regular season:

34 – James Harrison
    34 – Brett Keisel
    33 – Ryan Clark
    32 – Ike Taylor
    31 – Troy Polamalu
    27 – Keenan Lewis
    27 – LaMarr Woodley
    26 – Lawrence Timmons
    26 – Steve McLendon
    25 – Ziggy Hood
    22 – Sean Spence

That’s six 20-somethings to five 30-somethings starting on the defense. (Not to mention that Keisel could soon be supplanted by 23-year-old Cameron Heyward.) Like virtually all other criticisms of the Steelers, the age factor is totally overstated.