Beason on Kuechly: “He’s way ahead of the curve”

Luke Kuechly Pic Getty Images

Veteran NFL players often feel threatened by rookies, particularly when they’re high draft picks and play the same position. Among vets, there’s frequently a sense that youngsters are there to steal their jobs.

In Carolina, Jon Beason has come to grips with first-round pick Luke Kuechly’s addition to the Panthers’ linebacker corps, and is taking a more optimistic outlook on the rookie.

“I don’t know how it’s all going to unfold, but I understand the draft pick,” Beason told the Associated Press. “I understand the kid was off the charts. So you draft him and it makes your football team better.”

Beason says Kuechly is coming along quickly.

“Oh, he’s great,” Beason said. “A good young kid and very, very instinctive. Wants to get better. Knows how to prepare. Stays late. He’s a good kid and he’s going to be a great player. … He’s way ahead of the curve for rookies just in terms of his football IQ and how he prepares. He’s going to be successful right away.”

With Beason missing all but one game last season, the Panthers finished 28th in total defense and allowed the sixth-most points in the league. Beason’s return and Kuechly’s addition should translate to much improved 2012 performance.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Beason on Kuechly: “He’s way ahead of the curve””
  1. La Milicia Negra says: Jun 10, 2012 8:29 PM

Al Davis sure had a good case when he sued Jax for copying their uniform, you see the difference. NFL should do something about this..

2. polishkingski says: Jun 10, 2012 8:36 PM

3. madenatewell says: Jun 10, 2012 8:38 PM

As a panthers fan nothing short of excited to hear this…needed LB depth

4. schmitty2 says: Jun 10, 2012 8:42 PM

Beason sounds like a consumate professional and if Luke plays as advertised this Panther’s D is going to be tough

5. pantherstimes says: Jun 10, 2012 8:54 PM

I would expect nothing less than this from Beason – or any of the other Panthers for that matter. I don’t know the guy personally, but everything points to him being the ultimate team player. It’s not like he is going to loose his job or something, he is waaaaay too good to NOT be on the field SOMEWHERE. And we were waaaaay too bad on defense last year to not have him on the field somewhere! Now where that ultimately is – we will find out when the season starts. Things are looking up in Carolina.

6. canetic says: Jun 10, 2012 8:58 PM

7. Soulman45 says: Jun 10, 2012 9:01 PM

This happen every year if he good he will play their is room for both that why they have coaches to put the best on the field.

8. rdly49ers says: Jun 10, 2012 9:13 PM

Lol Beason What a joke ….lol he’s gonna take ur job and there’ nothing u cld do about it ,the panthers are getting tired of u being hurt all the time u and ur partner davis .ur days r numbered mark my words ..u talking all the cramp about Alex Smith and its ur job u should be worried about lol lol…..

9. ravenmuscle says: Jun 10, 2012 9:17 PM

10. billhicks666 says: Jun 10, 2012 9:21 PM

canetic says:

“Gee I would expect his teammate would say he’s terrible. All of these training camp statements are about as trustworthy as comments from the player’s agent.”

I put at least some stock into what Beason is saying because he really didn’t have to say anything. He has no vested interest in saying a particular player is looking great, especially one who plays the same position.

11. pilot2011 says: Jun 10, 2012 10:07 PM

Alex Smith is a slappy

12. 3000ft2glory says: Jun 10, 2012 10:07 PM

Beason started put as a FB at Miami. Of course, Tolbert and Stewart are abt the same size as him so don’t really see that happening.

13. regulator01 says: Jun 10, 2012 10:09 PM

for you few trolls that lurk around and try to stir things, since you know nothing about football, jon beason had never missed a game until last season. you guys get injured more getting off your moms couch to get more twinkies than beason does playing football

14. keeppounding says: Jun 10, 2012 10:09 PM

ravenmuscle says: Jun 10, 2012 9:17 PM

————————————————————

Kueckly LOOKS injury prone? How does someone look injury prone? I was always under the impression that guys who were injury prone… had… you know… injuries…? Maybe I’m wrong. Did David Gettis look injury prone before he tore his ACL? Jamal Charles? Fabian Washington? Foxworthy? Leave the medical advice for the guys who look like doctors.

15. sleepyjordan says: Jun 10, 2012 10:12 PM

Panthers could be a problem this year!

16. ravenmuscle says: Jun 10, 2012 10:24 PM

GUARANTEED….Kueckly is a Dan Morgan clone

He WILL get hurt. His legs are like tooth picks.

17. pantherpro says: Jun 10, 2012 10:33 PM

Super Bowl bound!! Time to put bags on your heads again Saint fan!!

18. gadgetdawg says: Jun 10, 2012 10:34 PM

————————————–

My guess is you have never heard about Andrew Luck or RGIII?

I expect both young men will be forces to be reckoned with but my point is that there is far more hype on either of them than there is with Kuechly.

19. kane337 says: Jun 10, 2012 10:40 PM

I saw him play in college and think he’s going to be a great pro. Just wish he wasn’t in the NFC South.

20. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects says: Jun 10, 2012 10:47 PM

rdly49ers says:
    Jun 10, 2012 9:13 PM

beason is an annual pro-bowler.

alex smith is just an average guy who happens to be the starter (for now) on an nfl team.

you are alex smith’s cheerleader.

“lol what a joke”? that’s you.

21. linvillegorge says: Jun 10, 2012 10:56 PM

GUARANTEED….Kueckly is a Dan Morgan clone
    He WILL get hurt. His legs are like tooth picks.
    ———————–

LOL! Dan Morgan’s injury issues were above the waist, primarily concussions. In short, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

22. norcalmafia says: Jun 10, 2012 11:15 PM

John Beason needs to shut his trap

23. keeppounding says: Jun 10, 2012 11:43 PM

keeppounding says: Jun 10, 2012 10:09 PM

ravenmuscle says: Jun 10, 2012 9:17 PM

————————————————————

———————————————————-

ravenmuscle says: Jun 10, 2012 10:24 PM

GUARANTEED….Kueckly is a Dan Morgan clone

He WILL get hurt. His legs are like tooth picks.

———————————————————

The thumbs don’t lie Ravensmuscle. Hopefully Kueckly stays off the basketball court ;)

24. christopher525 says: Jun 11, 2012 12:13 AM

@keeppounding, have to make the comment here, forgive me…Jeff Foxworthy is injury prone? Is that why he started hosting that horrible game show, to avoid walking too much?

@rdly49ers, before you try talking trash about ANY player, you may want to look into their history first. Also, another thing you may want to do is make sure your IQ is above that of a “slow” 10 year old.

lastly,
    @Ravenmuscle, there is no such thing as “looking” injury prone. If that were the case, certain people wouldn’t get drafted early (See Otah, Jeff or Davis, Thomas), as for the Morgan comparison, Morgan was a bad ass until the concussions got to be too much for him. If Luke is as good as Morgan, and can avoid concussions, with Beason along side him, I like the looks of our defense for the future.

25. dapple5 says: Jun 11, 2012 12:20 AM

Ravensmuscle you SOUND like you may be injury prone, as in brain injury. What a ridiculously negative comment to make about what looks like a promising young prospect. Give the guy a break or if everything Panthers bothers you so much, threatens you so much, just don’t click on the link. Otherwise come back during the season after you have eaten a big plate of crow, er raven, when he turns out to be better than you believe. Ever since Cam made so many of you eat crow, or still refuse to even acknowledge that he had a better season than you ever expected, the Carolina haters seem to be everywhere. Is that crow I smell cooking, or just plain fear?

26. nathanielflor says: Jun 11, 2012 1:33 AM

“Kuechly looks injury prone ….look for him to have a torn ACL early into the season.”

How on earth can you say he looks injury prone? What the hell does that even mean? You can just tell he has weak tendons in his knees by the way he looks? That’s an utterly ridiculous statement.

27. howiehandles says: Jun 11, 2012 1:57 AM

“i am not sure but i think i have never heard more hype about a player in my life. what, is this guy superman?”

You must be a prodigy, as you were obviously born this year.

Players are hyped every year. He’s by far NOT the most hyped prospect to come out in recent times.

28. warrenpeacephotography says: Jun 11, 2012 2:32 AM

Jon Beason is an absolute BEAST. One of the best linebackers and most fun players to watch in the NFL. I’m no Panthers fan, but I was really disappointed when he got hurt last year, I was looking forward to watching his games on NFL Rewind all season.

29. kepickle says: Jun 11, 2012 5:57 AM

Keuckly will be a Great Outside LB for Carolina this yr & a good Back up Middle LB & as for Thomas Davis I hope he stays healthy but I don’t think he will & i also think our starters will be Beason in the middle & Keuckly & Anderson on the outside IF Davis is healthy he’ll be a Backup this yr

30. EJ says: Jun 11, 2012 6:08 AM

I was hoping Buffalo would pull the trigger and make a move to get this kid. Kuechly is a sure thing, one of the drafts best picks.

31. meytonpanning says: Jun 11, 2012 7:46 AM

Riviera (pardon my spelling, I got no sleep) has built quite the team. I bet the Panthers go 10-6, win the division and one playoff game.

32. southcakpanther says: Jun 11, 2012 9:05 AM

Beason and Kuechly

The next

Briggs and Urlacher

And ravensmuscle must not watch much football.

33. keeppounding says: Jun 11, 2012 1:42 PM

@christopher525

What?…
    I was referring to Foxworthy because he was a starter for the Ravens before tearing his ACL. In no way was that a knock on him. He was a good player and leader on that team before his injury.

In the Game of Football all players are subject to injury and things happen. No one LOOKS injury prone.

I guess what I’m saying is that comment makes no sense. The other comments where good and I agree with them. I’m talking about players LOOKING injury prone. What are you talking about? Don’t just comment because you see a name you recognize. Contribute