Nate Burleson laughs off a Twitter trade hoax

Detroit Lions v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

The Lions have not traded wide receiver Nate Burleson. But Burleson was amused to learn that some people were duped into thinking he had been.

A Twitter hoax made the rounds last week saying the Lions had traded Burleson to the Patriots for Danny Woodhead. Enough people thought that was believable that it was mentioned on Twitter by several fans and some members of the sports media, although Burleson didn’t hear about it until it had been thoroughly debunked.

That’s not a bad rumor to get started,” Burleson told MLive.com. “That’s almost believable. Luckily I wasn’t on Twitter, I might have got emotional and went crazy thinking Detroit was trying to get rid of me. Yeah, that’s pretty funny. I’m not going anywhere. My plan is to retire here.”

Burleson said he hopes to retire from Detroit at the end of his current contract, which expires after the 2014 season.

“I’d rather walk away when someone is still offering me money to keep playing than be pushed out the door with them saying, ‘Them knees aren’t working like they used to,’” Burleson said. “Right now, I had a great OTA showing, caught a ton of balls, did my thing, so right now, I’m feeling good.”

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Nate Burleson laughs off a Twitter trade hoax”
  1. shwanker81 says: Jun 10, 2012 7:22 AM

This is a prank? Serious question.. Would ANY of you Pats/Lions fans even care if either of these players were traded?

2. burnzy32 says: Jun 10, 2012 8:00 AM

Nate = veteran leadership and solid hands opposite MegaTron, ALL HAIL MEGATRON

3. randallflagg52 says: Jun 10, 2012 8:26 AM

Who?

4. btwicey says: Jun 10, 2012 8:51 AM

Hmmm seems to have a good attitude , I like

5. seatown12 says: Jun 10, 2012 10:13 AM

Nate was always a tough competitor and a really classy guy in Seattle as well. I wish him well.

6. lionsflyersandredbirds says: Jun 10, 2012 10:47 AM

Personally, I would love to see Nate retire as a Lion as well. He always seems to have his head on straight and can serve as a great source of leadership for the Lions up-and-comers (especially Ryan Broyles, whos seems fit to be NB’s replacement).

7. lioncrazy says: Jun 10, 2012 4:19 PM

Burleson is a great guy from what i have read about him in the media. Always seems to know what to say and has a remarkable attitude when things get crazy in the locker room. Provides excellent PR for the Organization.

8. garrison1981 says: Jun 10, 2012 6:04 PM

For the idiots that wanna rip Nate! He’s a great leader n team player! Something this league lacks tremendously!! He came here wanting to help a team that was the laughing stock of the league n hope he retires a Super Bowl champ! Thanks for Nate for your help here in the D!! Go Lions!!!

9. CKL says: Jun 10, 2012 8:46 PM

I’ve always had a soft spot for Burleson. If that rumor had been true, I wouldn’t have minded him as a Patriot, but I like Woodhead too. I wouldn’t have been shocked if Josh had been behind trading a RB for a WR one bit. :P