Daniel optimistic his time as Saints starter will be short

Chase Daniel AP

Seeing quarterback Chase Daniel on the field’s usually a good sign for the New Orleans Saints.

The thrower of eight garbage-time passes has taken all the first-team work during Saints OTAs, in the absence of unsigned franchise player Drew Brees.  But Daniel said recently he’s not sure how much longer he has at the wheel.

Daniel said he speaks to Brees daily, and remains optimistic a long-term deal gets done.  Multiple reports said a new deal was offered last week (Florio actually was told the new offer came the Thursday before), though things have gone quiet since then.

“He’s had a busy offseason, but I know for a fact — and believe me when I say this — he’s working very hard on getting a deal done every single day,” Daniel told Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com. “He wants it to be a long-term deal. We’re all hopeful we can get this done and not drag it out any longer. But I think there are specifications that Drew and our organization have to deal with together.”

Daniel has no illusions (or delusions) about the starting job in New Orleans, but does think the current work can help him reach his long-term goal of being a starter in the league.

“That’s the mindset I’ve always had. I think it’s served me pretty well,” Daniel said. “I am getting valuable experience right now and I love it. It’s great stuff for me.”

Being the backup in the right place at the right time has paid off handsomely for players such as Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub, and Matt Flynn (and even some guys not named Matt).

For Daniel, having the keys to such a polished offense can only help, as he enters free agency next offseason.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Daniel optimistic his time as Saints starter will be short”
  1. jrosenbaum says: Jun 11, 2012 4:01 PM

As a Mizzou alum, I can’t say enough good things that Daniel did to help the Tigers’ football team. It is nice that he’s made a NFL team, albeit in the back-up role. I also hope that his experience with Brees helps him to become a starter someday. It may not happen, but he’s surpassed some very low expectations.

The same could be said for Brad Smith, who’s had an excellent NFL career. He’s also an absolutely class act off the field. Can’t say enough good things about Brad.

2. blacknole08 says: Jun 11, 2012 4:09 PM

“Being the backup in the right place at the right time has paid off handsomely for players such as Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub and Matt Flynn (and even some guys not named Matt).”

Looking at the men they were backing up, and if that trend continues with the back-ups earning paychecks elsewhere, it’s safe to say that Daniel will eventually get his chance as a starter somewhere. Unlike those guys, however, Brees has yet to miss a game since becoming a Saint, so no one can really say for sure if Daniel will actually be as good as he is projected to be.

Only time (and God forbid a Brees injury) will tell.

3. blacknole08 says: Jun 11, 2012 4:11 PM

Sorry, I just realized he did miss the finale during the Saints Super Bowl season, but Mark Brunell started that game.

4. maximusprime107 says: Jun 11, 2012 4:20 PM

How was Aaron Rodgers not mention in that group of guys?

5. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 11, 2012 4:27 PM

Everything is “short” for the Saint’s QBs. Pant legs, shirt cuffs, suit jackets……..

6. roastmeforbeingacardsfan says: Jun 11, 2012 5:55 PM

Brees wants 20 million+ and the saints aren’t paying him that for some reason. Daniel’s time at starter won’t be short. Get ready for the Chase Daniels era Saints fans.. Get ready for Brees to be called a stystem quarterback.

7. jbaxt says: Jun 11, 2012 6:00 PM

Who is Erin Rogers? Oh is that the guy who the cheeseheads think is Better than Favre after 2 decent seasons?

8. 11jlacy says: Jun 12, 2012 12:55 AM

Say chase my man get ur reps in now cause you no I no the brees is coming lets go get it.