David Diehl: I made a poor decision that I sincerely regret

New York Giants v Washington Redskins Getty Images

A day after he was arrested for drunk driving, Giants offensive lineman David Diehl has offered an apology.

Diehl went on Twitter on Monday afternoon and acknowledged that he screwed up on Sunday night, offering apologies all around.

“I’ve worked hard during my career to set a positive example, and yesterday I fell far short of this standard,” Diehl wrote. “I apologize to my family, my fans, my teammates, the New York Giants, and the NFL. I made a poor decision that I sincerely regret, and, as always, take full responsibility for my actions.”

Diehl, who has been charged with driving under the influence, is due in court on the first day of training camp.

As a first-time offender, Diehl is unlikely to be suspended by the NFL. Diehl was the fourth NFL player to be arrested for drunk driving in the last month, following Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley, Vikings fullback Jerome Felton and Jaguars receiver Justin Blackmon.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “David Diehl: I made a poor decision that I sincerely regret”
  1. jakek2 says: Jun 11, 2012 7:27 PM

Thanks David. Now my beloved, infallible Giants are grouped in with the Lions.

2. jjbadd says: Jun 11, 2012 7:30 PM

As a man that had a DUI at age 21, I am now 39 & never had another offense, & won’t because I also quit drinking, I believe he will learn from it. I don’t think any less of him, he made a mistake. Here’s some Bronco love out to a Giant…

3. mrpilsner says: Jun 11, 2012 7:32 PM

I-L-L-

4. seanb20124 says: Jun 11, 2012 7:36 PM

AA/NA

5. enikville says: Jun 11, 2012 7:37 PM

I’m sick of these guys apologizing to their teams, the league, etc. You should be apologizing to the people on the road with you that night.

6. nycruuuzin says: Jun 11, 2012 7:38 PM

Bad decision, he should be ashamed. But you can’t say he didn’t handle the situation well after what happened. Good luck David don’t do it again.

7. rmc1995 says: Jun 11, 2012 7:40 PM

Your beloved Giants had seven players arrested in 2008. Ten months, seven arrests.

8. arlingtonassasin says: Jun 11, 2012 7:40 PM

Most people make mistakes in their lives. Almost everyone I’ve met that’s had a DUI is a decent person who has made a bad decision just like Deihl. He’s owned up to it and regretted it. I bet it’s his first and last

9. jakek2 says: Jun 11, 2012 7:49 PM

rmc1995 says:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:40 PM
    —————
    It must be how we celebrate winning super bowls.

10. roastmeforbeingacardsfan says: Jun 11, 2012 7:54 PM

At least blackmon apologized in person.

11. corvusrex96 says: Jun 11, 2012 7:59 PM

Every person that drives to a bar knowing they are going to drink with no plan on calling a cab is just as guilty as Mr Deihl. They are just LUCKY they weren’t pulled over.

12. adamjac78 says: Jun 11, 2012 8:09 PM

I will never understand how pro-athletes and celebrities get DUI’s. What’s the price of a cab or renting a limo for the night when you make hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars?

13. canuckinamerica says: Jun 11, 2012 8:16 PM

Roastme…..too much to type.

Yes Blackmon did. Twice.

14. NoPayneNoGain51 says: Jun 11, 2012 8:18 PM

“As a first-time offender, Diehl is unlikely to be suspended by the NFL.”

He should be suspended. He violated the code of conduct. But I’m sure Mara is blowing GODell and can smooth things over.

15. nflfollower says: Jun 11, 2012 8:27 PM

Apologies are fine, and you have to do them I suppose. Bit it proves nothing really, it has to be your actions over the next decade or so, showing more responsibility. Sounds like a good guy who screwed up. We have all been there one way or another

16. mnajb says: Jun 11, 2012 8:28 PM

Oh shut up drinky, you’re going to do it again. The NFL needs to take a strong stance and give these guys 4+ game suspensions… If Jerome Simpson has 3 games off, they all deserve more.. And yes that includes the dumb fullback the Vikings signed. Only losing a quarter of a years salary, and risking a roster spot will make these guys safe, and set a positive example to others.

17. nfl fan says: Jun 11, 2012 8:50 PM

rmc1995 says:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:40 PM
    __________________________________
    and two Lombardi Trophies in the last four years…so what’s your point?

18. joerevs300 says: Jun 11, 2012 8:51 PM

The only way people, unfortunately, learn is when they kill someone, or tragically get killed themselves in a drunk driving related accident. It’s the state of the world today.

If David Diehl tries to convince me he’s never, ever went out in his entire legal life and never been under the influence while driving, he might as well bang his head off the wall.

I am 35 and have never, WOULD never put my life or jeopardize the lives of others by drinking alcohol while driving. It is, literally, the #1 most preventable cause of death in our country as it relates to vehicular homicide.

19. nothingman20 says: Jun 11, 2012 9:42 PM

No personal grudge against Diehl, but anyone with the money these NFL guys have who doesn’t call a limo or hire a driver on nights they’re going out is just foolish.

How much does a cab cost? When you’re drinking $500 bottles of wine doesn’t the cab fare seem small in comparison?

20. jameslongstaffe says: Jun 11, 2012 10:02 PM

What does that mean, “I take full responsibility for my actions”? What does that actually mean? Not much on Twitter, but I guess when you are a professional athlete making millions… mistakes that risk the safety of others are managed best by taking responsibility on Twitter.

21. lennydpocketqb says: Jun 11, 2012 10:05 PM

Apology accepted!!!

22. franklamar17 says: Jun 11, 2012 10:30 PM

Players are human they make mistakes too.why all the father son talk about the man,he knows he f,;:)( up and thank god know one got hurt.How about a little love for one of the brothers when they make the same mistake without throwing him under the bus,like he danced with the devil..let’s find grace in our heart when any person falls short,hey we all do.

23. rcali says: Jun 11, 2012 10:44 PM

Apology not accepted.

24. omniscient48 says: Jun 11, 2012 10:46 PM

Don’t blame Diehl. He was acting as designated driver for Donte Stallworth.

25. enzo1030 says: Jun 11, 2012 11:56 PM

but if this was a Jets story, the media would be blowing this thing up like crazy…

26. saintkobal says: Jun 12, 2012 1:04 AM

corvusrex96 says: Jun 11, 2012 7:59 PM

————————————

They are just LUCKY they didn’t kill someone.

There fixed that for ya. Getting pulled over is the best possible scenario far as I’m concerned. How many people have to die before people figure this out. A person life is not worth a $20 cab ride?

27. hedleykow says: Jun 12, 2012 2:08 AM

Why is it that crashing into the rear end of another car while fiddling with a cell phone is not such a bad thing?

I’m certain that somewhere around 82% of the US population is made up of complete idiots. And most of you drive.

Worry about yourselves.

28. trollaikman8 says: Jun 12, 2012 2:19 AM

Agreed. At least Blackmon apologized in person. Maybe there was a shortage of microphones & cameras in NYC.

29. illbillgiantz4lif says: Jun 12, 2012 8:14 AM

Why suspend a guy for something we’ve all done in our lives. You learn from your mistake and move on. If he does it again, make the punishment severe but give him that chance.

30. nathanbetz91 says: Jun 12, 2012 10:10 AM

I wish twitter was never invented because whenever a famous person messes up they assume that the most appropriate way to apologize to everyone is through a tweet. You could have the most sincere apology ever by apologizing to everyone via twitter but in my opinion it means nothing,I think its inconsiderate and shows you’re a coward.if you’re truly sorry then apologize in public in front of people.