Jonathan Martin finally joins Dolphins

Jonathan Martin AP

Andrew Luck isn’t the only NFL rookie who has been kept out of action by a skewed school calendar.

Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin, who played college football at Stanford with Luck, finally has received clearance to make the move from Palo Alto to South Beach.

It’ll take some getting used to.

“I was running back at school, but you can’t prepare for the humidity,” Martin said after practice Monday, via Izzy Gould of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.  “The sun is real bright out here.”

A second-round draft pick, Martin joined the Dolphins late last week, after missing two weeks of Organized Team Activities.  He already has signed a contract.

“I feel a little behind some of the adjustments they’ve been making in pass protection especially,” Martin said. “Basic play is still the same so I feel pretty good.”

Martin said his head was “spinning a little bit” at first, but that he thinks he’ll quickly get up to speed.

“I don’t think it will take very long,” Martin said. “There’s a lot of similarities between Coach [Joe] Philbin’s offense and my offense back at Stanford, both West Coast.  The calls are a little bit different, but it’s the same basic ideas.  I think I’ll be all right.”

The other two Stanford players affected by the rule are Steelers guard David DeCastro and Colts tight end Coby Fleener.  Amazingly, all four Stanford players were taken in the first 42 picks, with no others were selected in more than 200 moves thereafter.

With math skills like that, maybe I should have applied to Stanford.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Jonathan Martin finally joins Dolphins”
  1. swingondeesenuts says: Jun 11, 2012 3:24 PM

Wow, thank god! Maybe now I’ll be able to sleep tonight as I have been worried sick about this for weeks!

Sigh….

2. ravenator says: Jun 11, 2012 3:25 PM

Yet according to their fans, somehow DeCastro (who has yet to take a snap) is already a probowl guard? He’s going to get abused his rookie season, and the Ravens will sweep these clowns, again.

3. jcampol says: Jun 11, 2012 3:26 PM

No negative spin about the dolphins in the entire article? Wow! I figured you would have blamed Ross or Ireland for this one. Or at least mentioned how they screwed up this draft pick

4. dccowboy says: Jun 11, 2012 3:42 PM

There is a decided difference between the atmosphere in Miami and that in the SF Bay Area. LOL. The humidity lays on you like a blanket

5. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 11, 2012 3:47 PM

They got skewed by the Stanford calendar.

6. brennankm46 says: Jun 11, 2012 3:47 PM

“With math skills like that, maybe I should have applied to Stanford.”

(Crickets)

7. tombradysponytail says: Jun 11, 2012 4:08 PM

With math skills like that, maybe I should have applied to Stanford.

———

That’s not really math, it’s reading comprehension with text that included numbers. So, maybe west virginia community college (WVCC) was a better fit after all…

8. frankdatank23 says: Jun 11, 2012 5:48 PM

ravenator says: Jun 11, 2012 3:25 PM

—————————————————————

ravenator is always lost !

9. Deb says: Jun 11, 2012 6:47 PM

Oh good … a DeCastro update. Thank you, thank you, thank you. But I’m not worried about him picking up the system. Just get him on the field and let him do what he does.

10. vjaxmyboy says: Jun 11, 2012 9:00 PM

I think both martin and decastro can be elite NFL lineman.