Welcome aboard, Darin Gantt

get-attachment

As we take this operation to the next level, we do it with a guy who brings some real credibility to the table.

That won’t last very long once he starts working with me.

Regardless, I’m happy and proud and plenty of other positive emotions to announce that Darin Gantt has joined the PFT family.

Darin covered the Panthers for 14 years with the Rock Hill Herald.  He has accepted an offer from us likely notwithstanding the pointed advice of his wife and two children.

Then again, this won’t be the first time Darin has associated with shady characters.  That’s Darin on the left in the photo accompanying this item, covering the Rae Carruth case.  (Or maybe that’s Steve Buscemi’s good-looking brother.  Then again, any brother of Steve Buscemi would be his good-looking brother.)

Anyway, Darin got his training at Appalachian State University, which means that one of my first orders of business will be to ensure that Darin follows a slightly more accomplished NCAA football program.

“This is exciting for me,” Gantt said. “The fact Florio roots for that college team I refer to as ‘The Other Mountaineers,’ diminishes that excitement only marginally.  Hopefully he doesn’t set fire to my furniture.”
Obviously, it’s going to take some work.
With the help of our partners at NBC, Darin emerged from a pool of hundreds (OK, dozens . . . OK, five) to climb into the boat and grab an oar.

Actually, I’m exaggerating.  We’ve been inundated with applications and inquiries by folks who either are in or want to get into the business.  We appreciate the high level of interest, and we could be looking again soon.  (That’s “soon” . . . not “now” . . . so, please, no more emails.)

For now, it was a no-brainer to bring Darin aboard.  We’ve cited his work regularly here, his writing is more engaging that a bowl of unflavored gelatin (sorry to set the bar so high, Darin), and he has a vote on the Hall of Fame selection committee.

That’s right, folks.  Darin Gantt brings to PFT a vote on the Hall of Fame.

I know what you’re thinking.  Does the fact that one or our writers has a Hall of Fame vote mean that I will stop complaining about the selection process?  Check back with me after the next time they select a new class of inductees.

Hopefully Darin won’t be setting fire to any of my furniture.

Until then, give Darin a welcome in the comments, and follow him on Twitter.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Welcome aboard, Darin Gantt”
  1. bryancroley says: Jun 11, 2012 8:11 AM

That is a huge pickup for you guys at PFT. As a life long panthers fan, and avid twitter user, I have enjoyed Gatt’s insight into all things Panthers. I look forward into gaining insight into his opinions on the NFL as a whole. Good luck Darin.

2. brswan says: Jun 11, 2012 8:13 AM

I bet his writing will be off the charts… get it Gantt chart… ill show myself the door.

3. skoobyfl says: Jun 11, 2012 8:14 AM

Beatwriter gone bad.

4. sportsmeccabi says: Jun 11, 2012 8:15 AM

Why would you disgrace the welcome article for a new writer with the image of Rae Curruth?

5. True Talker says: Jun 11, 2012 8:15 AM

Congrats Darin, we miss you covering the Panthers, but congrats anyway!

6. cidman2001 says: Jun 11, 2012 8:16 AM

Welcome to PFT Darin! You know, if you set fire to Florio’s furniture maybe NBC will spring for a better set for himto do PFT live from……..best of luck with the new gig!

7. pantherspaul says: Jun 11, 2012 8:18 AM

Great addition, DG has always been a favorite among Panthers fans. Even when he was off the beat, he still provided better insights than the writers that actually had access to the team. Happy for him.

8. southcakpanther says: Jun 11, 2012 8:20 AM

Congrats Darin! As a longtime Panther fan, things haven’t been the same since you left their beat. Now that you have made it to the pinnacle of journalism, hopefully you will continue to do some local radio work here in Charlotte.

9. dionoil says: Jun 11, 2012 8:21 AM

Congrats, Darin. Way to recover after being railroaded by the Charlotte Observer.

10. luthierjr says: Jun 11, 2012 8:22 AM

Welcome! Don’t suck!

11. timentideblog says: Jun 11, 2012 8:22 AM

OK, knowing Florio this is some kind of of a quiz, there are three people in the photo, so which one is Darin?

12. godofwine330 says: Jun 11, 2012 8:22 AM

God, you are creully funny, Florio. No sensitive ones sitting around you, that’s for sure.

13. brianbowman16 says: Jun 11, 2012 8:25 AM

xA huge welcome from the dirty city of Detroit!!
    Now that we have the pleasantries out of the way, could you smack Michael David Smith with that new oar of yours for being such a blatant Lions homer, please? He lovez them so much that reading his stuff is awfully difficult sometimes

14. joetoronto says: Jun 11, 2012 8:25 AM

Welcome aboard…..

I forgot your name. :)

15. joemammy says: Jun 11, 2012 8:28 AM

My condolences, Mr. Gantt.

16. vexey says: Jun 11, 2012 8:30 AM

My favorite Panthers beat guy, glad to see he’s back =]

17. pantherstimes says: Jun 11, 2012 8:34 AM

Congrats Darin – been reading your stuff for a long time. Always liked your panthers articles. Your attitude fits right in here at PFT. Good to see a local guy do good. Does this meant that you have officially left the Herald? I knew when they moved you to the Winthrop beat that you wouldn’t stay for long. Congrats again sir and I look forward to seeing your writing more.

18. kurmudge says: Jun 11, 2012 8:35 AM

Please tell all those arrogant old drunks that the game isn’t about them, or whether they like someone. It is about who played the game and played it very well.

Cris Carter, or close the Hall down as a joke.

19. biggestpaul says: Jun 11, 2012 8:39 AM

That’s great news and congrats to Darin. I’m thrilled that my favorite writer is now on the site that I read daily. He is a class act and PFT has made a great addition to its team.

20. jpb12 says: Jun 11, 2012 8:46 AM

Clearly a ‘local’ story.
    I thought you were announcing that OchoCinco was your next beat writer…

21. doncornelious says: Jun 11, 2012 8:49 AM

Rae Carruth has the funniest shaped head in all of sports, but might not have the funniest shaped head in all the prison system.

22. thegrey7 says: Jun 11, 2012 8:50 AM

Good introduction article to get him prepared for relentless critisim here in the comments…

23. bigshow7575 says: Jun 11, 2012 8:52 AM

Darin has been one of my favorite sports writers for years. Welcome aboard…, but run while you still can!

24. pantherlouie says: Jun 11, 2012 9:13 AM

Congrats Darin! I have missed your ramblings covering the Panthers. I look forward to reading your articles on PFT.

25. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects says: Jun 11, 2012 9:28 AM

this is perhaps PFT’s best free agent pickup of the off-season.

26. randyinman says: Jun 11, 2012 9:38 AM

That’s awesome, he is a good writer and was lucky enough to have went to school with me.

27. barneysbullet says: Jun 11, 2012 9:49 AM

Welcome Darin!

Hopefully you can spell?

28. jimcaldwellsucks says: Jun 11, 2012 9:54 AM

Appalachian State is far more accomplished than West Virginia.

29. redeemerac says: Jun 11, 2012 9:54 AM

Happy for Darin, was the best writer the Panthers ever had, he is missed. Glad he’s getting to do something he enjoys.
    Congrats Darin!!!

30. CKL says: Jun 11, 2012 10:11 AM

Fantastic news. Gantt is a great writer and has a little saltiness to him. He’ll be fantastic here.

31. technicalfowler says: Jun 11, 2012 10:15 AM

from a Panthers fan, welcome aboard Darin! Good fortune and all that!

32. EJ says: Jun 11, 2012 10:19 AM

Welcome to PFT!

33. fleshmallet says: Jun 11, 2012 10:23 AM

Now everyone will get their daily Armanti Edwards updates. Yes!!

34. mrwillie says: Jun 11, 2012 10:25 AM

Loved Gantt’s coverage of the Panthers for all those years and listening to him on the sorely missed Pac-Man show.

I look forward to his coverage of the entire NFL here!

35. pnthrz1 says: Jun 11, 2012 10:28 AM

Welcome Darin! It will be great to have someone familiar with the Panthers and the NFC South.

36. mnajb says: Jun 11, 2012 10:39 AM

How long until NFL.com poaches him?

37. schmitty2 says: Jun 11, 2012 11:02 AM

Based on that picture..did Gantt play Maverick in Top Gun?

38. jimmylions says: Jun 11, 2012 2:13 PM

Welcome to PFT Darin. I think they’ll put you on Farvewatch for the rest of the summer … never know when he’s coming out of retirement again.

39. moosemuhammed says: Jun 11, 2012 2:53 PM

Darin! I’m glad to see you’re still covering football!

Give me a hollar if you need any ‘anyside’ information – lol!

Your bud – Moose

40. screamingsheep69 says: Jun 11, 2012 6:40 PM

Mr. Ganttttt also said while Jeff Davidson was offensive coordinator of the Panthers, that Jeff would be a head coach within 2 years. So take that “Hall of Fame” vote with a grain of salt.

41. chubbsmcgee says: Jun 11, 2012 7:40 PM

I couldn’t be more pleased about this. Great guy. Funny. Tough, but fair. And very knowledgeable about the Panthers.

42. 84sgl says: Jun 12, 2012 12:03 AM

Wow, what a surprise!! I’ve been reading Gantt’s columns for years. He can troll with the best of them that’s for sure, but in Charlotte and surrounding areas, he was hands down the best panthers beat writer. He has a knack for pulling out information that no other here could even come close to. The players seem to know him as well. It’s great to see someone you’ve followed for years get an opportunity like this.. Even if he sometimes trolls a little too much. Either way, his style and access makes him a perfect fit here at PFT

43. jgedgar70 says: Jun 12, 2012 11:35 AM

Allow me to mark this occasion with my favorite Gantt line covering the Panthers: He was doing a “tale of the tape”-style comparison to the 1-5 49ers and the 0-5 Panthers leading up to their 2010 matchup in Charlotte. He wrote:

State of the franchise:
    49ers: A mess.
    Panthers: A hot mess.

Looking forward to more pithy contributions from Darin Gantt on PFT.