David Diehl on DUI: I guarantee it will never, ever happen again

2012 March Of Dimes March For Babies Getty Images

For the second time in as many days, Giants offensive tackle David Diehl has taken himself to task for being arrested for drunk driving on Sunday and vowed that he’ll be a changed man going forward.

It’s a mistake that I guarantee will never, ever happen again,” Diehl said, via the New York Daily News. “I’m going to help other people make sure that they don’t make the same decision that I made in this circumstance. And I’m going to become a stronger person because of it.”

Diehl said he’d like to think he has built up a lot of good will in his decade with the Giants, but that he knows some people think this incident permanently stains his reputation — and he knows he has only himself to blame for that.

“This is the one time that people are going to try to bring me down and say things about me,” Diehl said. “And that’s fine. I’m never going to make an excuse for anything. I’ve never made excuses for anything in my life. I’m going to do whatever it takes to let people know exactly who I am and what I stand for, and that this one decision does not reflect who I am as a person. Mistakes happen to everybody. Mistakes happen. I’m a prime example.”

Several of Diehl’s teammates have come forward over the last two days to lend their support, and Giants coach Tom Coughlin called Diehl “very sorry for what happened.” Everyone in the Giants’ locker room seems to agree that this was out of character for Diehl, and that they believe him when he promises it will never happen again.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
27 Responses to “David Diehl on DUI: I guarantee it will never, ever happen again”
  1. bigbluefan56 says: Jun 12, 2012 1:56 PM

Of all the players apologizing for whatever it was they did, I believe this guy the most. This guy never gave the NY Giants fan base to think anything other than what he says… A stand up guy imo…

2. returntoexcellence says: Jun 12, 2012 2:04 PM

It should have never, ever happened a first time idiot…

3. mvp43 says: Jun 12, 2012 2:05 PM

If the NFL only had some sort of taxi service available to its players.

4. jdandcoke says: Jun 12, 2012 2:10 PM

real good guy makes a boneheaded move….it happens.

5. monsterscream says: Jun 12, 2012 2:14 PM

This guy could have killed someone on the road, yet T.O. has never been charged with a DUI or DWI. Never failed a drug test and has never been caught with drugs.

Diehl thinks he can put the toothpaste back in the tube and will be called a ‘great guy who made a poor choice’ by most people in the comment section whereas T.O. can’t buy a break.

Things that make you go hmmmmm….

6. tigershark49 says: Jun 12, 2012 2:15 PM

The problem, Dave, is that it happened once.

7. coutre says: Jun 12, 2012 2:16 PM

Croatia plays again tomorrow. I bet we see the same DUI headline Thursday morning.

8. bigbillsfan says: Jun 12, 2012 2:22 PM

I support David Diehl! Shame is a motivating factor when family is let down. I believe that you will not hear from this man unless on the footbal field.

9. bucks12965 says: Jun 12, 2012 2:29 PM

So if it happens again, do I get my money back?

10. jaydog76 says: Jun 12, 2012 2:32 PM

Cut the guy some slack folks. He made a stupid mistake that many before him have. The important thing is no one got hurt and he sees that he screwed up.

11. jwcarlson says: Jun 12, 2012 2:36 PM

I love how these guys talk like they accidently got behind the wheel of their car while drunk. This isn’t happenstance. It is a decision… and a bad one.

12. ramitbaby says: Jun 12, 2012 2:40 PM

Factoid learned in my DUI class: 87% of people who get charged with DUI get another one within seven years.

13. mattsg22 says: Jun 12, 2012 2:42 PM

“It will never happen again” famous quote by every alcoholic that gets a DUI. Only time will tell.

14. tinopuno says: Jun 12, 2012 3:00 PM

Diehl will offer essentially the same heart felt apology for 6 successive days …and on the 7th day, he will rest.

15. nyfcat says: Jun 12, 2012 3:04 PM

I’m willing to give Diehl and Blackmon second chances. I’m NOT willing to give 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th chances (Pacman Jones, Brandon Marshall, Leonard Little, etc.)

16. 69finfan says: Jun 12, 2012 3:05 PM

Don’t ever ever use the word never. Just make sure it doesn’t happen today.

17. str8cashomie2 says: Jun 12, 2012 3:18 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I’m torching both these guys. Just interesting that Blackmon catches so much flack for his DUI compared to Diehl. Diehl would actually need to have more drinks to get to .16 at his weight than Blackmon did at his to get to .24. Diehl is a 7 yr pro and the type of guy that the league has wanted to model themselves after. Blackmon is a rookie 22 y/o. Both are complete idiots – I am 23 and never drive after drinking even if it means I have to overdraw my account to do so (literally, I’ve done it). But why is Deihl getting off so easily in the court of public opinion?

18. yardape74 says: Jun 12, 2012 3:19 PM

The NFL does have a car service for players.

19. elitomanningham says: Jun 12, 2012 3:27 PM

“But why is Deihl getting off so easily in the court of public opinion?”

Because Blackmon was caught for the second time. Because he hasn’t even signed his rookie contract yet and yet feels the need to give the Jags a ton of leverage. And yes, Diehl drank more, but he was also far less impaired.

20. cantonbound13 says: Jun 12, 2012 3:39 PM

Good guy that made a mistake. No story here. There are other athletes commiting murder, (Ray Lewis) allegedly, and people forget about it.

21. granadafan says: Jun 12, 2012 3:41 PM

“n0hopeleft says: Jun 12, 2012 3:10 PM
    A ton of Giants haters on this site, it makes me smile everyday. ”
    ==========================================

Apparently you failed Reading Comprehension 101. No one said anything remotely negative about the Giants. People are commenting about Diehl’s DUI, not the fact that he happens to play for the G-men.

Knock that gigantic and completely unwarranted chip off your shoulder. It’s absurd and irrational.

22. roadtrip3500 says: Jun 12, 2012 3:53 PM

Diehl said in his Twitter apology that he takes full responsibility for his actions. That would mean pleading guilty as charged and saving the taxpayers the court costs of extra hearings and trials.

Pleading not guilty and looking for reduced charges and/or a plea bargain is not taking full responsibility… only taking advantage. Paying for the damaged parked cars and making a public service message isn’t enough.

23. bullcharger says: Jun 12, 2012 4:13 PM

He made a bad choice, but it’s forgivable. He fortunately didn’t hurt anyone and the cars he smashed can be fixed.

As long as he really doesn’t do it again, then in time he should be forgiven.

He was still a complete idiot for making that decision, but I think he would admit that.

24. dryheaveone says: Jun 12, 2012 4:32 PM

Alot of people on their HIGH HORSE here, hope they don’t fall off…I’m a Pats fan and the Giants have caused me alot of sleepless nights following their Super Bowl wins over the Pats, HOWEVER people make mistakes.

And SAVE ME all the “drama”….”he could have killed many people”…blah-blah-blah-…get over it, the guy screwd up. He didn’t kill anyone. Quit trying to make him out to be the 2nd coming of Charles Manson

25. JaminJake says: Jun 12, 2012 4:39 PM

monsterscream says:
    Jun 12, 2012 2:14 PM

Things that make you go hmmmmm

__________________________

If TO would have had a DUI, he would have been out of the league a long time ago. He couldn’t even stay on a minor league team because he is a bad teammate. TO lasted as long as he did because he had talent, but eventually people have had enough.

26. firstderivative says: Jun 12, 2012 8:57 PM

It’s a travesty that people are calling this hating on the Giants or anything of that ilk. The issue is simple: He did something that could literally have killed people (and Thank God no one was hurt. For all the Ocho Cinco, T.O., etc. flack – they have never endangered the welfare of the public like Diehl has – hasn’t anyone learned from the stories of Leonard Little?

27. dawglb says: Jun 12, 2012 11:49 PM

This title makes me laugh. He acts like his guarantee is a really impressive, honorable thing.