Travis Beckum will run today, 4 months after Super Bowl ACL tear

Wild Card Playoffs - Atlanta Falcons v New York Giants Getty Images

Of the Giants’ two tight ends who suffered torn ACLs in the Super Bowl, one has been waived and is expected to spend the entire 2012 season on injured reserve. But the other is ready to run.

While Jake Ballard’s torn ACL was so serious that he needed the dreaded microfracture surgery on his knee, Travis Beckum’s injury was not as severe. And as the Giants open their minicamp today, Beckum plans to run for the first time since he was carted off the field in Indianapolis.

I’ve done everything except running,” Beckum said, via Ebenezer Samuel of the New York Daily News. “Been in the pool a lot. I’ve been sprinting in the pool, making my glutes strong, my hamstrings, my quads. So all that stuff has a factor on how my knees going to hold up.”

Beckum is exercising caution and says he will only run in a straight line and will stop if he feels any discomfort.

“If my knee says, ‘Travis, relax,’ I’m going to back off,” Beckum said. “I just had an ACL surgery. I expect pain. But as far as where it’s at, if it’s more in the front, then I’m going to need to back off a little bit.”

That’s wise, and it still seems unlikely that Beckum will be on the field for the Giants’ Wednesday night regular-season opener against the Cowboys, which is just 12 weeks from tomorrow. But it’s great news for the Giants that Beckum is making such progress.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
8 Responses to “Travis Beckum will run today, 4 months after Super Bowl ACL tear”
  1. nygdriveforfive says: Jun 12, 2012 1:03 PM

Take your time Travis. Bear Pascoe and Bennett will hold it down until you are able to come back and make a minimal impact.

2. bigbluefan1 says: Jun 12, 2012 1:19 PM

12 weeks can not wait 1-0

3. pixelito says: Jun 12, 2012 1:44 PM

Too bad he’s not Jake Ballard.

4. jdandcoke says: Jun 12, 2012 1:52 PM

12 weeks….when you say it like that it really doesnt seem too far away.

as for beckum…..good luck kid, but there’s no rush; even though you werent injured prior to the acl, youve basically been on IR since the giants drafted you.

the kid that they drafted this year…adrien robinson, who they are very high on, will probably ensure that beckum is a former giant after this season.

5. ericbleedspurple says: Jun 12, 2012 2:05 PM

Hearing this doesn’t look good for Terell Suggs who suffered the same injury. This sucks.

6. youarewrongandthisiswhy says: Jun 12, 2012 2:51 PM

This guy has been a bust over his career with the exception of the first play of the regular season game against Green Bay a few minor catches in the playoffs.

Reese has good draft record but his 2nd and 3rd rounder have been iffy at best. Beatty, Beckum, Sintim and Barden… Austin with the injury..can’t live off the 07 draft forever.

7. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 12, 2012 3:04 PM

Suggs ruptured his Achilles, not his ACL. Do you not know anatomy? ericbleedspurple?

Reese isn’t living off ’07 SMH. And Marv will be a beast.

8. jakek2 says: Jun 12, 2012 4:15 PM

If Travis has a talking knee, I’m pretty sure he can retire as a multi billionaire