Tim Hightower: I stayed in Washington to play with a winning team

Tim+Hightower+Washington+Redskins+v+Carolina+ydK4CxIvPerl Getty Images

Redskins running back Tim Hightower says his decision to re-sign with the Redskins in free agency came down to one factor more than any other: He wants to win, and he believes the Redskins are going to win.

That might sound a little strange considering that in Hightower’s one season with the Redskins, they were a last place, 5-11 team. But Hightower said on ESPN’s NFL 32 that he believes strongly that Mike Shanahan and his staff are putting together a football team that is going to win.

“The coaching staff, they’re committed — they’ve let it be known that they’re committed to winning,” Hightower said. “I want to be in a winning program. You want to be in a winning program, with coaches who are dedicated to winning.”

Hightower may also have a more favorable view of the Redskins because when Hightower was playing, the Redskins were actually pretty good: The Redskins won three of their first four games in 2011. Unfortunately, Hightower suffered a shoulder injury in that fourth game, missed the Redskins’ fifth game and then suffered a season-ending torn ACL in the Redskins’ sixth game. Overall the Redskins went 3-2 in games Hightower played and 2-9 in games Hightower missed.

Those early games gave Hightower a positive feeling about the Redskins’ offense.

“I felt embraced, I felt like this was where I was supposed to be,” Hightower said. “It fit me well. I’m a downhill runner, I’m an aggressive runner, and it fit very well with my skill set.”

A healthy Hightower splitting carries with last year’s two promising rookie running backs, Roy Helu and Evan Royster, could give the Redskins a strong backfield. Throw in the talent the Redskins acquired at quarterback in Robert Griffin III, and Hightower may be right to say he’s part of a winning offense.

Permalink 67 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
67 Responses to “Tim Hightower: I stayed in Washington to play with a winning team”
  1. youarewrongandthisiswhy says: Jun 12, 2012 7:17 PM

More FAIL than HAIL this century.

2. footballfanman says: Jun 12, 2012 7:18 PM

So many injuries last year. Gotta get that depth. They’re getting there though. Hail’em up!

3. juanweiner says: Jun 12, 2012 7:19 PM

Oh yeah, committed to winning, because there are so many teams/coaches committed to losing. Does the NFL have a handbook for cliches for players to use?

4. pnut87 says: Jun 12, 2012 7:20 PM

“I stayed in Washington to play with a winning team”

Wait… what?

5. jameswestphal says: Jun 12, 2012 7:21 PM

I didn’t know he plays baseball!

6. dfwbillsfan14221 says: Jun 12, 2012 7:28 PM

Hmmm. Stayed in Washington to play on a winning team, eh? So the Capitals signed him? New first line forwards Ovechkin-Backstrom-Hightower?
    Brilliant!

7. loukwarm says: Jun 12, 2012 7:32 PM

I think that there is depth at the skill positions, if the line can stay healthy and RGIII comes along without making too many killer mistakes, the team can be competitive. I think 8-8 is well within reach, that was actually within reach last years team. Hightower is a good all around back, to go with Helu’s speed, could be exciting!

8. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Jun 12, 2012 7:34 PM

milk just came out of my nose!

9. david7590 says: Jun 12, 2012 7:36 PM

So he’s signing with the Nationals?

10. ppc50 says: Jun 12, 2012 7:50 PM

I like your game Mr.Hightower, but you really have no choice.

11. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 12, 2012 7:50 PM

I’m going to comment as a football fan and not as a Giants fan (hard but I’ll try) the Redskins faithful need to realize they will be starting a ROOKIE QB! Teams that start a rookie at that position historically don’t do well. Stop getting your hopes up and realize the Skins will probably backslide a little this year. I know Cam Newton skewed the curve a bit, but I see 4-12.

12. benguins says: Jun 12, 2012 7:56 PM

Royster will end the season with the most yards for a redskin

13. camdenyard says: Jun 12, 2012 8:31 PM

This isn’t going to end well…

14. jaydog76 says: Jun 12, 2012 8:41 PM

4-12 seems a bit harsh, I was thinking 6-10. Same as I hoping for our colts.

15. eaglesfootballfan says: Jun 12, 2012 8:49 PM

Tim Hightower is an idiot. Why would he stay with the Redskins when he is likely to be the 3rd running back behind Roy Helu and Evan Royster and play with a team that has been in the cellar of the NFC EAST for the past 4 years. LOL

16. dontouchmyjunk says: Jun 12, 2012 8:57 PM

Did the player actually have a different choice other than Washington? Unless the only other choices were Miami, Cleveland, Oakland, Indianapolis, or Minnesota, then the lights don’t shine too bright at the Hightower household.

17. johanneschimpo says: Jun 12, 2012 9:01 PM

You stayed in DC because everyone else knows you’re a fraud.

18. hookem6903 says: Jun 12, 2012 9:12 PM

Works out in Foxborough for the Patriots, stays in Washington because he wants to play on a “winning team.” Now I’m no madman, but that’s insanity.

19. footballfanman says: Jun 12, 2012 9:15 PM

4-12? No way. I think RGIII will play better than Grossman, especially when you factor us running the option and RGIII’s running ability. 8-8. We’re allowed to be optimistic. Other fans are just jealous cause they know damn well why we’re optimistic and they just want to exaggerate our optimism and try to hate on us. We have a tough schedule so 7-9, 8-8 sounds about right. “YOU GUYS AREN’T GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL, YOU SUCK, RG LEAF, FAIL!” “REDSKINS FANS, CHILL OUT, STOP BEING OPTIMISTIC ABOUT YOUR TEAM.” Hail’em up.

20. footballfanatic1906 says: Jun 12, 2012 9:21 PM

kingcarlbanks says:
    Jun 12, 2012 7:50 PM

Coming from a team swept by Rex Grossman shut up!

21. cash804 says: Jun 12, 2012 9:28 PM

I love all the haters…a lot of scared B*s on PFT.

HTTR!!!

22. tripoint9109 says: Jun 12, 2012 9:34 PM

Eagles, then Giants and after that……well who gives a flip

23. conbro8 says: Jun 12, 2012 9:35 PM

So sick of all the Redskins/ RG3 hype. It’s almost as bad as Tebow.

24. jwreck says: Jun 12, 2012 9:38 PM

kingcarlbanks says: Jun 12, 2012 7:50 PM

____________

kingcarl’s post, though he did succeed in being objective and unbiased, begs the question of how long it’s going to be before the idea of rookie QB’s having a long adjustment period is going to die out? carl points out that “Cam Newton skewed the curve a bit”, and clearly that was something special and unique, but one has to wonder how valid that “curve” even is anymore. If Newton skewed the curve then so did Dalton, and Bradford, and Stafford, and Ryan, and even Sanchez (though his career since then is a whole ‘nother discussion). It’s unclear what’s being done differently nowadays but clearly rookie starters in the last four or five years are having more success earlier in their careers than quarterbacks have had historically.

25. skin94249 says: Jun 12, 2012 9:40 PM

Sounds right to me ! Just look at how we lost games last season. We were in every game save for the last one against Philly. QB, O-line, WR, and Safety were our issues. All have been upgraded or needed depth added. Nine-n-Seven season in 2012 at the least. RGIII is NOT your average rookie QB.

26. jwreck says: Jun 12, 2012 9:44 PM

kingcarlbanks says: Jun 12, 2012 7:50 PM

____________

While this is a definitely a valid point, one has to consider that Washington finished 5-11 with Rex Grossman under center.

It would be hard to imagine how any rookie adjustment period could be worse than Sexy Rexy. Grossman is not only the least mobile quarterback in the game, but during the the entire 2011 season completed literally three passes for more than fifteen yards, minus yards after the catch, (as in the ball traveled fifteen or more yards yards through the air). I’m not kidding, three passes that traveled more than fifteen yards through the air. Three. So even setting aside Griffin’s mobility, it would be hard to imagine that he could lose more games than Grossman. As long as Griffin can throw the ball more than fifteen yards down the field without throwing an interception, he will be a very significant upgrade.

Then there are the other arguments in favor of Redskins improvement: a full season with Royster, Helu, and Hankerson; the acquisition of talented young receivers; and the potential to have an O-line that isn’t missing three starters for nearly the entire season. Of course these are all hypotheticals, and there’s no reason to argue about it now. The real point is that no matter how difficult it is for Griffin to make the transition to the NFL, he will be better than Grossman, and while the Super Bowl is probably not in the cards this year, it would be shocking to see Washington finish worse than 5-11.

27. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 12, 2012 9:45 PM

I love the way all these Redskins players and FANS feel like they are going to the Superbowl thanks to drafting RGIII….

Earth to Redskin nation….

You have a lot of holes to fill, but you traded it all away to get RGIII….

As much as I like the kid, he won’t be playing OL, LB, DB, TE….

But I’m sure Snyder his betting the house also…

28. skinsrock says: Jun 12, 2012 9:54 PM

Hey Banks & whoever else wants to listen… Do most rookie QB’s get a top 10 defense backing them? No, usually they are drafted first & team is built around them… The Skins have built their team from the ground up starting with the defense. RGIII is going to do fine & the team will take a step forward no matter their record… but they will be better than 6 wins… M Vick came into a decent situation in Atlanta & he beat the Brett Favre Packers in the playoffs at Lambeau Field 27-7 in 2003 as a rookie.

29. slingingsh1t says: Jun 12, 2012 10:05 PM

Wow……a player on an NFL team in June thinks his team is good…..this is news?

30. abninf says: Jun 12, 2012 10:13 PM

I didn’t know that coming in last place in your division, as usual, equated to being a winning team.

31. baltimoresohard says: Jun 12, 2012 10:17 PM

I am fluent in NFL-BS-ese, allow me to translate. “The Redskins have no real options at RB and Mike Shanahan is too full of himself to actually admit to having a hole at that spot. I wanted to stay with the only team in the NFL that I would get the ball 40 times.”

32. fink says: Jun 12, 2012 10:18 PM

I agree. 8-8 is within reach. I think they are still a year away from being a real threat.

33. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 12, 2012 10:35 PM

And after they go 6-10 next year and Shanahan gets fired, let me know how that works out for ya Hightower…

34. angryamericancitizen says: Jun 12, 2012 10:42 PM

The skins may really surprise you. This is afterall the NFL and abberations are the norm.

35. bison4me says: Jun 12, 2012 10:57 PM

kingcarlbanks says:
    Jun 12, 2012 7:50 PM
    =====================
    That maybe, but if 2 of those wins are against the Giants again, then cool. I really hope that b!tch a$$ leather face punk Mora comes to FedEx field.

36. sicklife1 says: Jun 12, 2012 11:15 PM

HA HA HAH HAH HA HA HA…..now that’s funny Hightower.

37. blairsummit says: Jun 12, 2012 11:20 PM

Sorry mr. Hightower , but the redskins are a .500 team AT BEST

38. thehairychestsportsblog says: Jun 12, 2012 11:25 PM

We swept your gmen with Grossman at the helm. Imagine what a talented rookie qb can do.

39. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 12, 2012 11:32 PM

Enjoy that “Swept Giants” Trophy. I’ll take the Lombardi. Scrubs…

40. reach4succeed says: Jun 12, 2012 11:39 PM

A football player with a positive attitude. Isnt that refreshing. You will see it when you believe it!!!! If the other skins buy in then the sky is not the limit either. From 5-11 to 11-5. It can be done. Believe.

41. dawglb says: Jun 12, 2012 11:45 PM

This RGIII thing is a whole lotta hype. Not saying he wasn’t good in college, but…. If his name was Donald Smith or John Boyd, ….. It wouldn’t bring on all this hype as this “RGIII” label has.

42. lostsok says: Jun 12, 2012 11:49 PM

I wanted to post something snarky, but…I respect a player with that attitude.

43. footballfanman says: Jun 13, 2012 12:17 AM

beerbudsandbevo says

Earth to Redskin nation….

You have a lot of holes to fill, but you traded it all away to get RGIII….

As much as I like the kid, he won’t be playing OL, LB, DB, TE….

But I’m sure Snyder his betting the house also…
    ___________________________________

It’s obvious you don’t know much about the team.

Our O-line still needs more depth but I think will be strong.

LB= A strong unit. Kerrigan, Orakpo, Fletcher, Riley, Alexander. You obviously don’t follow the team.

DB= Going to be better with Morris coaching. Look out for Chase Minnifield.

TE= Possibly our strongest position. Davis, Cooley, Niles is converting. Logan Paulsen, some UFA’s.

44. lucky5934 says: Jun 13, 2012 12:19 AM

Let’s see… 8 home games a year, so at least one or two of those teams (Minimum) should have a winning record. So yeah I guess it would be possible for Hightower to quietly suit up for the opponent and thus “Play for a winning team” this season.

45. steelcityrapist says: Jun 13, 2012 12:20 AM

He plays for the NATIONALS now???

46. goredskins11 says: Jun 13, 2012 1:27 AM

@skinsrock

Chris Chandler was the starter for Atlanta in Vick’s rookie year (2001-02). The play off game against GB that you are talking about (2002-03 season) was in Vick’s second season.

47. walter0247 says: Jun 13, 2012 2:06 AM

beerbudsnbevo says:
    Jun 12, 2012 9:45 PM

Earth to Redskin nation….

You have a lot of holes to fill, but you traded it all away to get RGIII….

As much as I like the kid, he won’t be playing OL, LB, DB, TE….

But I’m sure Snyder his betting the house also…

————————————————-

Hahaha i seriously laughed out loud at this one. You should learn a little more about the teams that you are ripping on before you insult them. C’mon man, the only position that you named that the Redskins really need is DB, i mean you seriously went as far as naming the LBs, hahahah, you’re a joke, heard of Orakpo, Kerrigan, and… what’s his name?….. oh yeah the league leader in tackles and the captian of the Redskins defense London Fletcher. Now i’m not raving that the Redskins are going to be good or anything, 5-8 wins at best, but you really need to go back to your Cowboys forum.

48. carnagekong says: Jun 13, 2012 2:47 AM

Who re-signs with the Redskins?

49. phillybirds says: Jun 13, 2012 5:29 AM

The Redskins will be good when Mike Vick, Eli Manning, and I guess even Tony Romo retire.

50. megadethgod says: Jun 13, 2012 6:10 AM

beerbudsnbevo says:
    Jun 12, 2012 9:45 PM

Earth to Redskin nation….

You have a lot of holes to fill, but you traded it all away to get RGIII….

As much as I like the kid, he won’t be playing OL, LB, DB, TE….

But I’m sure Snyder his betting the house also…

——————————————–

Dude, Show me the links where anyone in the organization has said we will win the Super Bowl.

Also, I read alot of the comments from Skin’s fans on here and there is a modest consensus that we will have an average season.

Your an Idiot.

I like Tim’s optimism. He wants to win and he wants to be on a winning team. Unlike Haynesworth, Mcnabb, and the countless other free agents they have lost with over the last 2o years.

51. weneedlinemen42 says: Jun 13, 2012 6:26 AM

beerbudsnbevo says:Jun 12, 2012 9:45 PM

Earth to Redskin nation….

You have a lot of holes to fill, but you traded it all away to get RGIII….

As much as I like the kid, he won’t be playing OL, LB, DB, TE….

Traded it all away? So far the RGIII pick has cost us, wait for it, 1-second round pick, to move up to the second spot.

At this point, the two future first rounders are completely irrelevent.

In the past two seasons the Redskins have drafted 21-players. That’s a league high.

We need a TE? There is serious debate over whether Chris Cooley, a former Pro Bowler and a TE with more than 70 catches and 800-yards just over 1-year ago might be surplus to requirements.

Now those two first rounders will have an effect on our ability to upgrade the team, but not now, not this year.

52. blackqbwhiterb says: Jun 13, 2012 6:51 AM

The skins are going to have another rebuilding year this year, but I expect it will be markedly better than last year. Then for the next several seasons, the rest of the east will begin getting old and start to fade just as this team (now very young) is hitting its prime. Things are looking up in Redskin land, much more so than many realize, I think.

53. cowboyhater says: Jun 13, 2012 7:28 AM

Oh, the haters come out of the woodwork when redskin articles hit this site. What’s funny is that most of what the haters say is attributed to inferiority complex. Fan or not, you can see what’s happening to the skins organization. They have totally revamped their roster, and infused alot youth with veterans. Yes, it may take another year, but when this thing gets turned around, and all beating the skins fans have had to endure from all the haters, it will be sweet justice to come on here and talk smack, and laugh at all of you. I will lead the charge. HTTR!!

Also, karma Mara, karma. It’s coming, and will continue. WR w/broken foot, DUI, cut a talented TE…….where does it stop? It won’t. Sorry Giants fan, but your owner is a loser.

54. eaglesw00t says: Jun 13, 2012 7:35 AM

Until the Redskins can split their own division, they wont be a winning team.

They arent better than anyone else in the NFCE. At best case scenario, they are an 8-8 team.

Once Griffin grows into the game a bit, they could be a good team if they surround him with a few more pieces. But right now, there isnt enough talent on that team to get anything over .500 ball.

55. ppdoc13 says: Jun 13, 2012 7:36 AM

Dan Snyder and winning football do not belong in the same sentence

56. selldannysell says: Jun 13, 2012 8:35 AM

The Nationals?

57. noquickreactionshere says: Jun 13, 2012 8:41 AM

More proof that concussions cause massive head trauma….

58. kozmo50 says: Jun 13, 2012 8:43 AM

kingcarlbanks says:

“I’m going to comment as a football fan and not as a Giants fan (hard but I’ll try) the Redskins faithful need to realize they will be starting a ROOKIE QB! Teams that start a rookie at that position historically”
    _________________________________

And this is coming from a guy who’s team was beaten twice by the Redskins with Rex Grossman!
    Face it Giants fans you caught lightning in a bottle…..you’re not that good!

59. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 13, 2012 9:14 AM

Face it skin fans, your not rven the best football team in the Maryland area!

60. eaglesw00t says: Jun 13, 2012 9:26 AM

kozmo50 says:
    Jun 13, 2012 8:43 AM

Face it Giants fans you caught lightning in a bottle…..you’re not that good!

————————————

The Giants won the Super Bowl last year. Id say thats pretty good. What did the Redskins win?

61. rufustfireflyjr says: Jun 13, 2012 10:04 AM

YA GOTTA BELIEVE!!

62. 16x8equal49ers says: Jun 13, 2012 10:09 AM

He’s from the DMV. Alexandria is hometown I think so staying home might also have been a deciding factor. Who else would give him a good starting oportunity.

63. pksoze says: Jun 13, 2012 11:13 AM

=====================
    ====================================

It’s Mara not Mora and if sweeping the Giants is all the Redskins are about. Then Snyder has hurt the once proud Skins more than I thought. And your owner tried to get over…too bad that failed. Don’t shoot the messenger for his incompetence.

64. bosspower says: Jun 13, 2012 11:31 AM

You better hope RG3 and out finish the season healthy!!!! Eagles Cowboys and Giants are coming Pass Rush 2x and Steelers Ravens and Vikings coming with the Heat!!! Fail to the Redskins!!! FAIL EM UP!!!!

65. frankdatank23 says: Jun 13, 2012 2:54 PM

Meaning the 20 or so playoff contending teams weren’t interested. Skins fans are def riding a high right now, we can see that. That’s what makes this all so funny and/or annoying to the rest of the league. Whomever it was that started rambling about rookie qbs not ever starting off with good defenses, seriously lives in a bubble. tom brady, bigBen,flacco,matt Ryan,rivers,Eli,Sanchez,tannehill…ya might of heard of em.

66. bison4me says: Jun 14, 2012 1:53 AM

pksoze says:
    Jun 13, 2012 11:13 AM
    =====================
    ====================================

——————————————————————————
    It’s Mara not Mora…. Yeah, ok, who cares, Mora played a punk move and revealed the b!tch a$$ that he is, and tried to stunt progress of two rivals. For the record, Snyder/Jones didn’t try to get over, there was no cap, no written rules so MORA catches feelings and turns snitch. The franchise is still proud, rebuilding yes, but we got enough to sweep MORA’s team again.

67. pksoze says: Jun 14, 2012 5:40 PM

===========================================
    No Giants fan thinks about the Redskins. Before last year the Giants swept the Skins three straight years. So if there is a sweep it is going the other way.

Also Mara and the Giants are known for their classiness the Redskins and Cowboys not so much.

The Giants are coming of their second Super Bowl victory in 5 years the Redskins are a joke and are no longer proud unless you take pride in last place. So instead of being angry at Mara be angry at the person who deserves it your owner.