Yes, Chad Ochocinco will wear No. 85 in Miami

San Diego Chargers v New England Patriots Getty Images

One of the risks of legally changing your name to your jersey number (or a Spanish mistranslation of your jersey number) is that you could end up with a team that doesn’t assign you that jersey number.

But Chad Ochocinco is in luck: He will keep wearing No. 85 in Miami.

The Dolphins announced today that Ochocinco, who has worn No. 85 since his rookie year in Cincinnati, got the 85 assignment. Rookie receiver Rishard Matthews, a seventh-round draft pick from Nevada, is currently listed as No. 85 on the Dolphins’ website, but apparently Matthews will have to get a new number.

There’s no word yet on whether Ochocinco bought the number from Matthews, as players sometimes do when they arrive on a new team and their preferred number is already taken, but the number clearly has value to Ochocinco. The man who legally changed his name to Ochocinco because “ocho” means “eight” and “cinco” means “five” and because changing his name legally was the only way to get the NFL to let him put his silly nickname on the back of his jersey probably could have been persuaded to pay Matthews a bundle for the number.

If I were advising Matthews, I’d tell him not to settle for anything less than $85,000.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Yes, Chad Ochocinco will wear No. 85 in Miami”
  1. zeke2517 says: Jun 12, 2012 10:28 AM

Well, I mean, he’d look like a real idiot if he didn’t.

2. ottograham says: Jun 12, 2012 10:29 AM

correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression he changed his last nam back to Johnson. I mean noone shouldve jumped on this stupid bandwagon and called him ochocinco. Its dumb and Chad Johnson is who that guy is.

3. blutri10 says: Jun 12, 2012 10:33 AM

85 will always belong to Mark Duper…

4. realitypolice says: Jun 12, 2012 10:35 AM

I doubt he paid a 7th round pick who hasn’t even made the team yet too much for the number.

5. j0esixpack says: Jun 12, 2012 10:35 AM

I wish Chad the best (still can’t bring myself to call him Ochocinco). He never seemed to learn his routes with the Pats but he seemed to be a good teammate and minimized his proclivity to be a distraction.

The Dolphins must actually believe he can be productive – because he sure isn’t being signed to tell them what he knows about the Patriots playbook.

6. swingondeesenuts says: Jun 12, 2012 10:40 AM

Why would the Fins, who are in rebuilding mode bring this mutt into their locker room. He clearly has lost a step and is nothing more than a 4th WR at this point. He is a locker room cancer, doesn’t play special teams, and will be a bad influence on the young guys you are trying to build around. They would have been better off bringing in TO. Seriously, at least TO can still play a little. Chad Johnson has NOTHING left except his stupid dances and jokes.

7. skoobyfl says: Jun 12, 2012 10:41 AM

He’ll be Super Dooper.

8. dasportsninja says: Jun 12, 2012 10:42 AM

NExt up-Ocho Cinco and TO announce there “relationship” to the press!

9. acdc363 says: Jun 12, 2012 10:43 AM

So that’s why he changed his name!

10. southpaw2k says: Jun 12, 2012 10:44 AM

ottograham says:
    Jun 12, 2012 10:29 AM

————————————————

I recall hearing that too, but I don’t know where in the legal process that change is. I’ve always stuck with calling him Chad Johnson since I couldn’t ever call him Chad Ochocinco with a straight face. I don’t know how talking heads on various sports networks were able to say “Chad Ochocinco” without busting into laughter over how stupid it sounds for the last few years.

11. samoanjungle says: Jun 12, 2012 10:44 AM

Doesn’t his name go back to Johnson next month anyway? I thought he was changing it back because he is getting married. No lady wants to be “Mrs Gimmick-Name”

12. tripleb4444 says: Jun 12, 2012 10:45 AM

clearly writers are struggling for NFL news and relevant stories people actually care about.

13. toegoat says: Jun 12, 2012 10:45 AM

I could be wrong (or maybe what I read was wrong), but I thought Ocho was changing his name back to Johnson this yr?

14. shardar says: Jun 12, 2012 10:47 AM

So what?!

15. truthhurtstoo says: Jun 12, 2012 10:50 AM

If he is serious about a “fresh start” he needs to dump this attention seeking “Ochocinco” nonsense and use his real name… like everyone else does.

He’s no longer good enough to scream “hey world, look at me”.

16. truthhurtstoo says: Jun 12, 2012 10:51 AM

“# 85 will always belong to Mark Duper”… True that, Mark Super Duper.

17. strokeytheclown says: Jun 12, 2012 10:51 AM

I think it would have been kinda funny if he had to change his name to Ochoquatro or something. What is 19 in Spanish?that would been even funnier.

18. mountaindont says: Jun 12, 2012 10:53 AM

Who cares. Chad is a major has been. Only reason he signed with Miami and vice versa is because this clown wants to feed his ego on Hard Knocks

19. rbell2123 says: Jun 12, 2012 10:53 AM

He was goimg to change his name back. but the company that made his jerseys said he would have to pay for all the ocho jerseys. he decided that was to much money

20. emaimo80 says: Jun 12, 2012 10:53 AM

Dolphins jersey #’s 85, and 83 should have been retired long ago!

21. kane337 says: Jun 12, 2012 11:05 AM

Hopefully Chad will have more catches this year than tweets.

22. Steeler's Will says: Jun 12, 2012 11:06 AM

Pending name change or not, he probably still wants to wear the number if he’s had it his whole career.

23. foxbos10 says: Jun 12, 2012 11:07 AM

How long before #81 has to give his number up to T.O.?

24. rajbais says: Jun 12, 2012 11:21 AM

Shouldn’t #85 be retired for Nick Buoniconti regardless of who’s wearing it???

My God!!! What an insult to a Hall of Famer as the Fins give that number to a guy that wore a jacket saying
    “H.O.F. 20??”!!!

Buoniconti will have two bottles of champagne this year; one for the last undefeated team to fall and for “Chad Uh-oh Spaghettios” to do the same!!!

How sad is it that the captain of the “No Name Defense” will be seeing a player in a “stupid name uniform”!!!

25. Ghost Rat says: Jun 12, 2012 11:23 AM

The Dolphins also announced that, because Ocho had such a hard time learning the Patriots playbook, they will give him all of his route assignments on an Etch-a-Sketch in the huddle.

26. jgedgar70 says: Jun 12, 2012 11:26 AM

swingondeesenuts says:
    Jun 12, 2012 10:40 AM
    _____

That’s easy – to boost the “Hard Knocks” ratings. Don’t worry, after camp ends, the Fish will realize that EightFive can’t play anymore and just can’t stand it when the world is paying attention to anything but him, and they’ll cut him and give #85 back to the 7th-round draft choice who will run circles around EightFive all camp long.

27. joetoronto says: Jun 12, 2012 11:26 AM

Mr Ross: Do the right thing and sell the team.

28. calihawk says: Jun 12, 2012 11:26 AM

southpaw2k says: Jun 12, 2012 10:44 AM

ottograham says:
    Jun 12, 2012 10:29 AM
    correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression he changed his last name back to Johnson. I mean no one should have jumped on this stupid bandwagon and called him ochocinco. Its dumb and Chad Johnson is who that guy is.

————————————————
    Could be worse, he could have changed his name to Meta World Peace.

29. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 12, 2012 11:29 AM

rbell2123 says:
    Jun 12, 2012 10:53 AM

___________________________________

I thought that’s usually the case if you’re still on the same team. Because they haven’t made (I assume) or sold Dolphins’ “Ochocinco jerseys yet. So why would he have to pay for the unsold jerseys. Plus, they released pictures of his wedding invitations online, already and they say “Evelyn Lozada and Chad Johnson.”

30. rickeydynamite25 says: Jun 12, 2012 11:34 AM

From the Pats(hate ‘em), to the Dolphins (hate ‘em). Talk about a free fall,, although it’s actually the smartest thing they’ve done in a while, the Dolphins will find a way to screw it up. They’ll be battling the Jets for last place.

31. erod22 says: Jun 12, 2012 11:45 AM

The day he changed his name, his career went into the crapper.

32. xpensivewinos says: Jun 12, 2012 11:45 AM

Let’s focus on the really sad part. If he’s even at 70% of what his skill level was in his prime in Cincy, that still makes him the best receiver the Dolphins have.

How is Jeff Ireland employed? I simply don’t get it……

33. 69finfan says: Jun 12, 2012 11:54 AM

Super Bowl bound baby!

34. pesh00 says: Jun 12, 2012 11:59 AM

Dear Chad,
    Now that you are here in Miami, please do us all a favor and learn how to spell your last name right….,either that or change it back to Johnson.

Thanks,
    – People of Miami

35. jaggedmark says: Jun 12, 2012 12:06 PM

———————————————–
    And that says a lot about you, Mr. Team Player.

36. wludford says: Jun 12, 2012 12:07 PM

Hey Miami-

You dumped Brandon Marshall for Chad Ochocinco?

Please explain.

37. CKL says: Jun 12, 2012 12:38 PM

Hernandez used to wear 85 and he gave it to Chad for free when he came to the team. Wonder if he’ll go back now?

38. ottomanismydog says: Jun 12, 2012 12:39 PM

“If I were advising Matthews, I’d tell him not to settle for anything less than $85,000″

ABSOLUTELY!

39. rabidbillsfan says: Jun 12, 2012 12:50 PM

I bet you Chad paid well for that number. That is just the kind of guy he is, or maybe he will let the guy in on some of his publicity or charity events. I don’t understand the reason behind “Chad Johnson Hate”. For every Mike Singletary, there has to be at least 1 Chad Johnson. He doesn’t get in trouble with the law, he is very charitable, he may be past his prime, but he was the best WO in football for 4-5 years. The Official Bribe, and the HOF jacket were a bit over the top for me, but the river dance, golf putt, and camera man stunt were all genuine and pretty good. Chad, I wish you the best of luck, and congrats on that engagement, I wish you were here in the B-LO, but atleast I will get to see you once this season. Can somebody please give me an example of him being a bad teamate? Please? Besides the Carson thing, which, judging by his play in Oakland, seems to have been on him more than Chad, there has never been an instance where a team was tore apart because of him.

40. londonfletcher says: Jun 12, 2012 1:08 PM

“Hopefully Chad will have more catches this year than tweets.”

Lol. Tall order. Even Jerry Rice couldn’t put up numbers like that!

41. hockeyflow33 says: Jun 12, 2012 1:46 PM

I’m not sure why some people are saying he’s a bad locker room guy or a problem. I think one of the only reasons he stayed with the Pats despite his inability to grasp the playbook was because he was such a great guy in the lockerroom.

There was never an issue here, everyone said how hard he worked and he seems to genuinely be a nice person.

42. logon13 says: Jun 12, 2012 1:58 PM

Seriously…..they let him wear Duper’s number…can’t someone call an emergency meeting to retire his number before the season starts….while your at it…retire OJ’s #81 before TO gets it.

43. brenenostler says: Jun 12, 2012 2:06 PM

Chad has said twice in the past year that he’s changing his name back to Johnson

44. tigershark49 says: Jun 12, 2012 2:18 PM

Hopefully, there are less than 85 plays in the playbook.

45. finfanvin says: Jun 13, 2012 12:31 AM

If you’re just going to complain about the article “not being relevant” in the middle of June, then don’t read it… there’s no secret about what these articles are about

there’s a reason I didn’t click on “gone fishing”