Brees deal is expected to “go down to the last minute”

136123238_crop_650x440 Getty Images

“Close” continues to count only in horseshoes, hand grenades, and Breathalyzer results.

Despite multiple reports last week that the Saints and quarterback Drew Brees were “close” to a long-term deal that could be finalized by Monday, Monday has come and gone without a deal being done.  As has Tuesday.

Several more Mondays and Tuesdays will come and go before Brees and the Saints resolve their differences.  Per a source with knowledge of the talks, the negotiations are expected to “go down to the last minute.”

The last minute comes at the close of business on Monday, July 16, at which time the window closes on the ability of the team and the player to do a long-term deal, given the niceties of the franchise tag.

Earlier in the hour, Gantt (the first “t” is silent . . . or is it the second?) pointed out that Saints quarterback Chase Daniel has a broken thumb.  That likely won’t impact the talks.

What could impact the situation is the upcoming grievance hearing, set for June 27, on the $3.9 million gap between the team’s and the player’s interpretation of the rules regarding the use of the franchise tag on Brees again in 2013.  If, after the hearing before Stephen Burbank, each side is sufficiently concerned about losing, they could try to work something out in the middle before the money swings one way or the other.

One way or another, there’s no reason at this point to think that Brees and the Saints won’t have something in place by July 16.

In the grand scheme of history, I suppose that makes a deal “close.”

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Brees deal is expected to “go down to the last minute””
  1. ilovefoolsball says: Jun 13, 2012 2:08 PM

Last year I grew tired of the labor talks.
    This year I grow tired of the contract talks.

2. dexterismyhero says: Jun 13, 2012 2:13 PM

Who cares anymore. Update us on what Rex Ryan ate or something.

3. truefan2011 says: Jun 13, 2012 2:22 PM

the saints management are absolutely stupid, I’m a skins fan, but I can’t understand how you could have one of the greatest qb’s of his era, who lead a franchise that was going nowhere TO THE SUPERBOWL, and take this long to sign the guy? not to mention the head coach is out the whole year, don’t make things even worse.

4. jgedgar70 says: Jun 13, 2012 2:24 PM

Let ‘em go all the way to 5:00 on 7/16. That will lead to him showing up to training camp as pudgy as John Kruk and increasing the likelihood that a fully-recoverd Jon Beason knocks him into oblivion in week 2.

As I say on all Saints posts, “Geaux Saints. And take the Hornets with you.”

5. catfish2012 says: Jun 13, 2012 2:27 PM

6. Ted Skroback says: Jun 13, 2012 2:33 PM

Don’t care about brees whatsoever anymore next update should be on when the contract is actually done besides that I’m sick of hearing brees whine about suspensions or a couple more mil

7. tommyf15 says: Jun 13, 2012 2:34 PM

catfish2012 says: Think people… Payton is suspended and he can only talk to players not under contract… this whole Brees thing is nothing but another New Orleans sham…

Ah, I get it. The Saints won’t give Brees what he’s asking for so that he can talk to a coach that won’t be coaching for all of 2012.

That makes perfect sense.

8. really2011 says: Jun 13, 2012 2:34 PM

truefan2011 says:
    Jun 13, 2012 2:22 PM
    the saints management are absolutely stupid, I’m a skins fan,
    ————————————————

LOL!!!! My intent is not to insult all Skins Fans but there is this tool that the NFL uses called Salary Cap. While your team has gotten better I am not sure that you would be in a place to understand the concept. When the team has already offered a deal to make him the highest padi player I would imagine that the negotiations should move forward with caution.

Not signing him by 7/16 would be stupid on both parts but stupid today is signing a crippling deal for the franchise (see Tom Condon’s other client and their Indy deal). Or just take a look at Haynesworth, a washed up Deion Sanders, etc.

9. rajbais says: Jun 13, 2012 2:35 PM

Just put the story of the negotiations and back-and-forth crap to rest!!!

If anything unexpected is to come let Jay Glazer break the story!!!!

He’s probably going to do it anyways!!!

10. n0hopeleft says: Jun 13, 2012 2:42 PM

Too bad the NFC playoffs didnt come down to the last minute.

It was over way before then.

11. spankygreen says: Jun 13, 2012 2:45 PM

truefan2011, how much of your salary are you willing to part with to ” get the guy signed”? I always love how people are so willing to spend other folks money……….If I were an owner, I would post an ad in the paper to all diehard fans to pony up some of their family’s household income to sign players……..I bet you’d see a whole different attitude on these “franchise, or can’t miss players”……..even the ones that are proven………..

12. bangitfootball says: Jun 13, 2012 2:49 PM

New Saint huddle chant.

Brees: me Players in huddle: ME!!

Brees: money Players in huddle: MONEY!!

Brees: greed Players in huddle: GREED!

ALL: MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!!!!

13. indyspeedo says: Jun 13, 2012 3:00 PM

Greedy Swamp Boy
    I heard that somewhere when Peyton Manning was trying to get a deal.

14. jchuber says: Jun 13, 2012 3:18 PM

I hope Brees tells the Aints to KMA, and becomes a free agent. Maybe go to a team that appreciates his talents, and takes them to SB.

nuf said

15. tommyf15 says: Jun 13, 2012 3:28 PM

spankygreen says: how much of your salary are you willing to part with to ” get the guy signed”? I always love how people are so willing to spend other folks money……….If I were an owner, I would post an ad in the paper to all diehard fans to pony up some of their family’s household income to sign players……..I bet you’d see a whole different attitude on these “franchise, or can’t miss players”……..even the ones that are proven………..

Problem with that is the Saints could sign Brees for $50 Million a year and it wouldn’t cost team ownership an extra dime. The NFL has a salary cap system, so all it would mean is that the Saints would have less money to sign other players.

Now someone is going to use that as a means to bash Brees for insisting that be be paid less than he’s worth, which is ridiculous. It’s been demonstrated over and over again that teams paying premium dollars to premium quarterbacks can and do win in the NFL.

I have no idea why the Saints are stepping on the toes of the greatest and most beloved player in franchise history. Bottom line – just pay Brees.

16. cdsaints says: Jun 13, 2012 3:30 PM

Gotta love how greed is something that only applies to other people. When it comes to ones self, well then you are just looking out for you own best interest.

17. schoolchoice2011 says: Jun 13, 2012 3:51 PM

If the Saints were smart they should have picked up Tebow. That would have put pressure on Brees to sign a deal bc while there is no comparison in skill level Tebow would draw a fan base and possibly help to win games. He is also a good organization person that could have helped them turn page and change the headlines from Bountygate. And, I think he is an upgrade from their current backup QB.

18. acetw says: Jun 13, 2012 3:56 PM

“catfish2012 says: Jun 13, 2012 2:27 PM

Think people… Payton is suspended and he can only talk to players not under contract… this whole Brees thing is nothing but another New Orleans sham….”

Wow.. So at least 32 other people in here are as dumb as you. Amazing.

19. covercorner says: Jun 13, 2012 4:55 PM

Brees has to have the guts to hold out into the regular season.

20. dat504 says: Jun 13, 2012 4:57 PM

LoL. Schoolchoice said the Saints should have signed Tebow….Man we would have run Tebow and Loomis out of town

21. jmcneill1961 says: Jun 13, 2012 4:59 PM

tommyf15 says: “Based on everything I’ve read what Brees is asking for is completely reasonable, a deal that’s a bit less than what Manning and Brady are getting. ”

Uh, agree he is being reasonable, but he’ll get a contract bigger than both those guys…and should.

22. electionconfidential says: Jun 13, 2012 5:31 PM

Maybe Brees is just saving up for some very expensive plastic surgery. I mean he’s walking around with this huge, brown hunk of face cancer on his cheek and his old lady probably won’t have sex with him unless he covers his whole face with his last three NFL paychecks…

Can’t blame the guy for being flabbergasted… no wait that was.. oh never mind!

23. musicman495 says: Jun 13, 2012 6:07 PM

jgedgar70 says: Jun 13, 2012 2:24 PM

As I say on all Saints posts, “Geaux Saints. And take the Hornets with you.”
    ——————————————–
    Yes, I am sure the Saints and Hornets players are both terrified of the teams in Charlotte that they slapped repeatedly in 2011-2012. Oh, and with Kuechly drafted, Beason will be lucky to make the team.

24. saintswillwin says: Jun 13, 2012 6:29 PM

The Saints have put three (3) contracts before Brees that will make him the highest paid QB in the league.

As much as I appreciate all that Brees has done for the Saints and New Orleans, this is starting to piss me off to the heights of pisstivity!!

25. fusion3450 says: Jun 13, 2012 7:02 PM

jchuber says:
    Jun 13, 2012 3:18 PM

nuf said
    ——————-
    you mean like your sorry team? and nuf said? seriously? people still say that?

26. petehemlock says: Jun 13, 2012 8:35 PM

The Saints have leverage because they got bounced early the last few years plus Drew’s numbers are lower on grass. Brees has leverage because the organization is riddled with scandal and controversy and he’s largely considered a nice young man who can act as the responsible babysitter.
    Still, if I were #9, I’d want out of that mess. Trade to Houston maybe?

27. truefan2011 says: Jun 14, 2012 8:54 AM

really2011, I do understand the concept of salary cap, my team has had enough failed efforts during the vinny cerrato years for me to understand them quite well.

my point is, Drew is this unquestioned leader of the team, I feel that with some players it’s ok to take extra time, but not with a qb of Brees’ caliber.

Peyton Manning, deal would be done. Brady, done. Rodgers, done.

it’s disrespectful to Brees, he’s been vexed about not having a deal since before last year, this isn’t new.

spankygreen, I would pay that man as much as he want’s, with as many years as he need to feel comfortable, because he deserves to be paid like Brady, like Manning, ect.

28. truefan2011 says: Jun 14, 2012 8:57 AM

meant to add, if this is a sham so that he can talk to Sean Peyton in the off season, then it’s smart to some degree, and I kinda understand.

if not, it’s a shame.